Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2013, 01:08 PM   #52
woodstock
 
woodstock's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: martinez Ga.
Posts: 500
I use Rejex on my car and everything just wipes off,bugs,road tar ,everything.
__________________
Casper is a 2012 Corvette Grand Sport w/ Heritage package.
woodstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:33 PM   #53
hawk02
Convertible Three-peat
 
hawk02's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Victory Red ZL1 Convertible
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abomb1223 View Post
paint sucks. gills take most of the chips and I have a nasty one on the hood. Terrible. The heck is opti coat and how do I get it done? and how much?
Opti-Coat is an after market ceramic clear coat very similar to what is applied at the factory. It chemically bonds with the factory paint and essentially becomes the car's new outer clear coat.

Because it's forms a permanent layer over the existing finish, it's important to do any paint correction prior to it's application. I just had it applied to my car by a professional detailer last week. It cost me $500 ($200 for the paint correction + $300 for the Opti-Coat). You can apply it yourself. Cost is around $70 for a 20 mL syringe.

I chose to have a professional detailer apply it because I wanted to make sure the paint was properly corrected before application. The guy told me he spent almost 7 hrs polishing my car before he applied the Opti-Coat. And this is on a car with less than a 1000 miles that I only hand wash using a foam gun and two bucket method. I suspect most of the paint problems were caused by the dealer prep.

Anyway, here are a couple photos of my car after the Opti-Coat application
Attached Images
  
__________________
hawk02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:38 PM   #54
doubletap407
 
doubletap407's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 ls v6 blacked out
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Trinity , texas
Posts: 320
Yeah the paint on the Black Camaro's sucks but be careful of what you say or you will be in trouble with the powers that be on here I know I have done it before !
__________________
doubletap407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:50 PM   #55
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician
 
SPARTAN sui's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Join Date: May 2012
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 1,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
Looooong story as to why, but my insurance covered the repaint - they shelled out about $8,000.
That's great too hear you had it covered. I was afraid it could be that expensive. Thanks for the reply.
__________________
2016 Hyper Blue Metallic 2SS
NPP, Auto, Nav, Ash Grey Interior

1100 Status - 12/08/15
SPARTAN sui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:54 PM   #56
AndyMan74
 
Drives: 2013 inferno prage LS coupe.
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by two_wheel_mayhem View Post
Don't forget the orange peel.
AndyMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:56 PM   #57
chef-beavis

 
chef-beavis's Avatar
 
Drives: IOM 2013 2SS/RS, Greenie, 06 FXSTBi
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Turd Town, WI
Posts: 1,053
So Stig, I've been asking on this forum for three years for opinions from people that repainted with no answers; is it better or is the problem really the shape of the car? Is yours better? Did they strip it or just sand the soft stuff and go over it? Typically a paint job is only as strong as it's weakest link.
chef-beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:32 PM   #58
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician
 
SPARTAN sui's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Join Date: May 2012
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 1,138
^^I'm interested in this too.
__________________
2016 Hyper Blue Metallic 2SS
NPP, Auto, Nav, Ash Grey Interior

1100 Status - 12/08/15
SPARTAN sui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:41 PM   #59
LIM3
it's mind bottling..
 
LIM3's Avatar
 
Drives: SGM
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: miami floirda.
Posts: 5,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk02 View Post
Opti-Coat is an after market ceramic clear coat very similar to what is applied at the factory. It chemically bonds with the factory paint and essentially becomes the car's new outer clear coat.

Because it's forms a permanent layer over the existing finish, it's important to do any paint correction prior to it's application. I just had it applied to my car by a professional detailer last week. It cost me $500 ($200 for the paint correction + $300 for the Opti-Coat). You can apply it yourself. Cost is around $70 for a 20 mL syringe.

I chose to have a professional detailer apply it because I wanted to make sure the paint was properly corrected before application. The guy told me he spent almost 7 hrs polishing my car before he applied the Opti-Coat. And this is on a car with less than a 1000 miles that I only hand wash using a foam gun and two bucket method. I suspect most of the paint problems were caused by the dealer prep.

Anyway, here are a couple photos of my car after the Opti-Coat application
What he said. OC is also stronger than our factory clear.
Beads water like a high end wax and makes washing easier.
__________________
LIM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:34 PM   #60
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan
 
Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Boston MA
Posts: 5,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by TastyBake View Post
What type of clearcoat paint won't scratch from butcher paper?
From my understanding, water and non-water based (slightly older style) would have scratched from that paper.

Would a good coat of wax stop paper from scratching it?
I'm sorry but I have to comment on this.

It's bullshit that the contact the paper made should result in the scratches that were removed. It's also nonsense that you move right on to assuming the car wasn't waxed.

I speak from many years of experience and from the fact that I saw the scratches and you didn't; also I saw what caused the scratches and how hard the contact wasn't made. You didn't see that either.

It's damn near insulting to read your flat assumptions. You seem to think I'm a kid that has just got his first cool car but doesn't understand anything about it. I'm 41 and I've put more hours of bodywork into cars than you've had meals this year. I tend to feel that I can be expected to have a valid opinion on a scratch in my paint, particularly when I don't recall you being at the scene of the damage or the repair.
__________________
ChrisBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:29 PM   #61
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks
 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The HMS Invincible
Posts: 26,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef-beavis View Post
So Stig, I've been asking on this forum for three years for opinions from people that repainted with no answers; is it better or is the problem really the shape of the car? Is yours better? Did they strip it or just sand the soft stuff and go over it? Typically a paint job is only as strong as it's weakest link.
They sanded the whole car, shot three coats of the base color (phantom black metallic) wet sanding in between, and then five coats of clear again set sanding between.

My paint is gorgeous, and you literally can't even tell she's been repainted.

Start to finish it took about 4 months.
__________________
Click to view my build thread
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:44 PM   #62
DuskSS
Bayou City Muscle Cars
 
DuskSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2SS Dusk Edition
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 1,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
I'm sorry but I have to comment on this.

It's bullshit that the contact the paper made should result in the scratches that were removed. It's also nonsense that you move right on to assuming the car wasn't waxed.

I speak from many years of experience and from the fact that I saw the scratches and you didn't; also I saw what caused the scratches and how hard the contact wasn't made. You didn't see that either.

It's damn near insulting to read your flat assumptions. You seem to think I'm a kid that has just got his first cool car but doesn't understand anything about it. I'm 41 and I've put more hours of bodywork into cars than you've had meals this year. I tend to feel that I can be expected to have a valid opinion on a scratch in my paint, particularly when I don't recall you being at the scene of the damage or the repair.
Wow dude I didn't get that from his post at all. maybe a pill might help.

he said he agreed that the paper would scratch it.
and then ASKED if a coat of high end wax would have helped..
he didn't attack you like you just did him..
beer man.. drink some.
__________________
2013 2SS Dusk Edition
Lethal Racing Stage V
PER 418ci Forged LS3
530/520 SAE
DuskSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:11 AM   #63
chef-beavis

 
chef-beavis's Avatar
 
Drives: IOM 2013 2SS/RS, Greenie, 06 FXSTBi
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Turd Town, WI
Posts: 1,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
They sanded the whole car, shot three coats of the base color (phantom black metallic) wet sanding in between, and then five coats of clear again set sanding between.

My paint is gorgeous, and you literally can't even tell she's been repainted.

Start to finish it took about 4 months.
So how has it been from a chipping standpoint since the repairs?
chef-beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:14 AM   #64
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks
 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The HMS Invincible
Posts: 26,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef-beavis View Post
So how has it been from a chipping standpoint since the repairs?
Haven't noticed any.
__________________
Click to view my build thread
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 03:05 AM   #65
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding
 
two_wheel_mayhem's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 SS LS3
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,577
Gotta buy the right color. Number one reason I picked orange.
__________________
Nice vehicles with mods.
two_wheel_mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 03:39 AM   #66
Denis


 
Denis's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Lexington Park, MD
Posts: 7,430
Here in Abut two and a half weeks I'm going to be moving from Cali to Mryland....I am terrified as to what the front of my car is going to look like. I plan ocovering the entire fron end in blue painters tape for the trip. Hopefully it'll help.
__________________
Denis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:15 AM   #67
myold88


 
myold88's Avatar
 
Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ct.
Posts: 6,470
^^^^^ That tape will look really cool. ^^^^^
__________________
myold88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:21 AM   #68
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan
 
Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Boston MA
Posts: 5,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskSS View Post
Wow dude I didn't get that from his post at all. maybe a pill might help.

he said he agreed that the paper would scratch it.
and then ASKED if a coat of high end wax would have helped..
he didn't attack you like you just did him..
beer man.. drink some.
Well dude maybe I have better reading comprehension than you dude. When somebody says ANY clear coat would be scracthed by that, it means two things: 1) after all I just said, I don't know what I'm talking about, and 2) the person knows what the scratches were like. Wrong on both counts. But he tells me anyway.

He did ask if a good wax would help. You don't understand that this suggests no wax or a bad wax was used. That is an assumption that I'm some new-to-cars-guy that needs tutoring on whyc ars have paint damage. Do I need to draw a picture for you? Do you like it when people assume you're an idiot?

And whether or not I "attacked" him or responded to something he said is not the point here- I wasn't talking to you. He decided to make those suggestions. maybe he needs to re-think how he expresses himself.
And maybe you need to have a glass of chillout instead of trying to save the world, one internet at a time. Dude.
__________________

Last edited by ChrisBlair; 05-25-2013 at 07:33 AM.
ChrisBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.