Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Rick@Livernois
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 09-04-2014, 05:58 PM   #1
Yaba94070

Drives: 2014 zl1 camaro
Full Titanium Exhaust and possible headers

Hey everyone i wanted to see how many people would be interested in purchasing Full Titanium Exhaust from the header back. If enough people want it i guess we could make cat's an option. I am going to make a set for my 2014 ZL1 and i wanted to see if anyone else would be interested... Depending on how many people are interested we could do headers as well but they wont be cheap. I will be making these in the next few months as well as dyno and track testing all the product.
Please post ideas requests interests things you want to see...
Thanks Guys
Yaba94070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 06:40 PM   #2
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2013 ZL1
That much titanium is going to be crazy expensive. Any particular reason you want to use that besides the obvious reduction in weight?
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:54 PM   #3
cdjnight

Drives: 2013 ZL1 A6
Mufflers?
Old 09-06-2014, 06:20 PM   #4
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro
I tried to get a titanium cat-back system just a couple of months ago. Very long wait time for a custom build and no dyno data available on anything to date because it didn't exist.

If you are designing a system from scratch I think I needs to be 3" tubing because if you spend all the money you should at least have a potential gain of less back-pressure. You are going to have to do pie cuts for titanium and those typically do not flow as well as mandrel bends. The main reason for titanium is weight savings and the most weight is in the mufflers. At least for my car, some of the race tracks have a strict decibel restriction (105 db) and I don't want to pay for track fees, tow my car out to a race track and then be told I cannot run it because it is too loud. A lot of guys want to pay money for loud. I would pay money for quiet that doesn't restrict the dyno. Keep us posted, I may be interested in a titanium system for my car in the future. I'm currently running the 3" magnaflow cat back system.
ADM - 434 ERL block. Trickflow 6 bolt heads, ADM cam, valves, springs. Heartbeat 2300 blower, twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS triple carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. LPE pulley upgrades, 1400 injectors. ADM/squash fuel system, ADM trunk intercooler reservoir & EMP pump, Ron Davis S/C heat ex, and radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air intercooler, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar, Hurst line lock, braided brake & clutch lines, Motul 660 and Porterfield R4 pads, racingbrake rotors. LPE nitrous controller. 1436 rwhp.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 07:51 PM   #5
EvilZL1
Darksied's ZL1

Drives: 2012 AGM ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
I tried to get a titanium cat-back system just a couple of months ago. Very long wait time for a custom build and no dyno data available on anything to date because it didn't exist.

If you are designing a system from scratch I think I needs to be 3" tubing because if you spend all the money you should at least have a potential gain of less back-pressure. You are going to have to do pie cuts for titanium and those typically do not flow as well as mandrel bends. The main reason for titanium is weight savings and the most weight is in the mufflers. At least for my car, some of the race tracks have a strict decibel restriction (105 db) and I don't want to pay for track fees, tow my car out to a race track and then be told I cannot run it because it is too loud. A lot of guys want to pay money for loud. I would pay money for quiet that doesn't restrict the dyno. Keep us posted, I may be interested in a titanium system for my car in the future. I'm currently running the 3" magnaflow cat back system.

wow that is horrendous. Im glad our track here doesnt carry out rules like that. It would defeat the purpose of diverters and headers. Titanium is a good idea but its hard to strike interest with such a extreme price. With no dyno to prove how much gain there is. Someone will have to be that test dummy and do it to show the possible benefits other than weight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-08-2014, 04:15 PM   #6
Yaba94070

I hear ya

Quote:

I hear ya we have been working on the design flaws and price to see if we can't make it as affordable for others as possible... We also have the same problem with noise restriction Laguna has a 99db limit which there's ways around and ways to make it less so we were talking about a v band cut out in the rear to by bass the cans if needed so for those who want it loud it would basically be an open end from header back... How ever for the mufflers taking away some of the db rating restricts flow we were looking at some tips kind if like the newer diesels / gun look kind of like a muzzle brake a few different engineered internal designs how ever its pointless for the people that just want open loud exhaust or for those that have state wide emission restrictions...
I currently have a corse exhaust which works great but we just started playing with titanium and since I have a ZL1 laying around and no one makes the full TT exhaust I think it would be a good project... I'm just wondering if anyone would be interested so I can plan on making more or just a one off for my self...

I will be setting up before and after video for the exhaust along with data logging on track and dyno after it is all said and done... That is if others are interested.. I'm still going to do the data logging anyway but it'll be more for team research instead of public... Always willing to share I just won't post it publicly...

We have decided that the headers would be pointless...
Old 09-08-2014, 04:18 PM   #7
Yaba94070

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSylentZL1 View Post
wow that is horrendous. Im glad our track here doesnt carry out rules like that. It would defeat the purpose of diverters and headers. Titanium is a good idea but its hard to strike interest with such a extreme price. With no dyno to prove how much gain there is. Someone will have to be that test dummy and do it to show the possible benefits other than weight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My car will be the test dummy.. A lot of tracks that have local residence have the DB rating in CA you have to purchase sound permit other wise.. A for big boy race days there is no limits but on the just every other guy track day there is restrictions... Even some of the smaller group events time attack auto cross stuff like that.. Sucks but it happens to all of us..l
Old 09-08-2014, 09:14 PM   #8
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaba94070 View Post
My car will be the test dummy.. A lot of tracks that have local residence have the DB rating in CA you have to purchase sound permit other wise.. A for big boy race days there is no limits but on the just every other guy track day there is restrictions... Even some of the smaller group events time attack auto cross stuff like that.. Sucks but it happens to all of us..l
I expect the sound restrictions are just going to spread all around the country. Honestly putting a muffler on a car shouldn't make it lose a ton of power. I'm not a big fan of open pipe racing myself. But the restrictions are creeping down where the muffler really has to quiet the car.

So on your test mule are you planning a 3" system? I may be interested when it is all said and done.
ADM - 434 ERL block. Trickflow 6 bolt heads, ADM cam, valves, springs. Heartbeat 2300 blower, twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS triple carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. LPE pulley upgrades, 1400 injectors. ADM/squash fuel system, ADM trunk intercooler reservoir & EMP pump, Ron Davis S/C heat ex, and radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air intercooler, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar, Hurst line lock, braided brake & clutch lines, Motul 660 and Porterfield R4 pads, racingbrake rotors. LPE nitrous controller. 1436 rwhp.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 02:50 AM   #9
Yaba94070

Quote:
I expect the sound restrictions are just going to spread all around the country. Honestly putting a muffler on a car shouldn't make it lose a ton of power. I'm not a big fan of open pipe racing myself. But the restrictions are creeping down where the muffler really has to quiet the car.

So on your test mule are you planning a 3" system? I may be interested when it is all said and done.
Yes 3" back right off the header... A lot of cars don't pass sound restriction even with stock exhaust lol... You have to do an L shape tip facing toward driver side to get some of the cars to pass.. Sme of the bike with factory exhaust don't pass period... At Laguna the db meter is on the right had side going up the hill lol sucks lol... So we'll see how it goes... Might have to do a silencer or something for the tips for restricted cats kind of like the race bikes do just an idea...