Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Anthony @ LG Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 05-24-2013, 04:27 PM   #1
colingordon
Her Name is Mila

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1LT A6
Buying a L99 Please Help

Ok I am buying a 2011 black 1SS Conv A6 tomorrow

It has 6,000 miles on it, no C&C package.

Whats a good price to pay?

and what are common problems with the V8/L99/A6 Camaros I should look for?

Thank you

Colin Gordon
Old 05-24-2013, 04:30 PM   #2
jeffswhitess

Drives: 2010 ss2 white w/gold stripes
AFM!! Buy the Range ,plug it in and never think about it again! Till you take in the the shop for service. Then just unplug it. when your service is over just plug it back in and your off till the next time! Price is what ever you fell good with !
Old 05-24-2013, 05:47 PM   #3
SPCBA
Blake

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
common problems are need for more power and smaller wallet. symptoms include bolt ons cam heads and other valvetrain goodies, immediately followed by brakes and suspension upgrades.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:55 PM   #4
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
I'd stay away from any module you have to plug into your obd port to disable anything.

Lifters are a weak point in the L99's but everything is upgradeable.
01 Ws6, m6, ASC#618 of 1583,40k Miles,shortblock built by AES the rest built by me,Ls3 416,FAST 102, NW102,LPE Ls3 heads

Join us:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/5138...3848358733509/
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:33 PM   #5
RolltideSS

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Vert
Well it isn't l99 specific but the roof on the convertibles Is a known issue. Still - i don't regret mine bc days like today are awesome!!
RolltideSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:37 PM   #6
1sikss

Drives: 2011 camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by litle88 View Post
I'd stay away from any module you have to plug into your obd port to disable anything.

Lifters are a weak point in the L99's but everything is upgradeable.
does disabling afm affect the lifters?
1sikss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:55 PM   #7
jeffswhitess

I have been using the Range now for 2 months . I have been in to have my car serviced and they could not find anything had been flashed. My gas mileage is better. Now I didn't get this for mileade. I drive a Camaro. If your looking for mileage buy a Jap car!
Now I can run loud pipes and still have my warranty.Every body that has bought the Range for there L99'S has loved it.Now my car runs and sounds as it should.

Jeff
Old 05-24-2013, 06:56 PM   #8
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

No but do it the right way and get some mods like a vararam some long tube headers a car back or axle back and tune it. In the tube AFM can get disabled. To me that's the right way.
01 Ws6, m6, ASC#618 of 1583,40k Miles,shortblock built by AES the rest built by me,Ls3 416,FAST 102, NW102,LPE Ls3 heads

Join us:
Old 05-24-2013, 07:27 PM   #9
jeffswhitess

Only thing I don't have on my car is Headers.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:34 PM   #10
CamaroJim56
Obsessed

Drives: 2013 Crystal Red Metallic 2SS RS
Just curious....

Quote:
No but do it the right way and get some mods like a vararam some long tube headers a car back or axle back and tune it. In the tube AFM can get disabled. To me that's the right way.

Not harassing you, just a truly serious question...

Why are you constantly pushing everyone to kill their warranty?

This question is in regard to the Range Device, and no I don't work for them, and no I don't have one, yet. But am considering the purchase.

Every time someone suggests, or mentions the Range, your solution is always a tune. Many of us want that insurance that if a motor, or power-train part fails, it will be covered free.

Thanks,

Jim

2013 CRT 2SS RS – Heritage Grille, CAI, ZL1 Style Splitter, Chrome OEM Wheels.
CamaroJim56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:38 PM   #11
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroJim56 View Post

This question is in regard to the Range Device, and no I don't work for them, and no I don't have one, yet. But am considering the purchase.

Every time someone suggests, or mentions the Range, your solution is always a tune. Many of us want that insurance that if a motor, or power-train part fails, it will be covered free.

Thanks,

Jim
That's not his intention. There is a way to do something and always a better way. He is just suggesting the better way. If you notice the amount of glitches that range device is now causing tuning the car would be a better way to disable afm. And to date I can't think of one car that has been denied warranty work because of being tuned. Not that it can't happen, it just hasn't.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:42 PM   #12
mlee
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Quote:

Quote:

Thanks,

Jim
So what you are saying is lie to GM and tell them you haven't altered anything in your drivetrain. If you are going to remain stock and keep your drivetrain warranty you don't need to plug anything into your car to get rid of AFM. Do it right or don't do it at all.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:53 PM   #13
SPCBA
Blake

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
not everyone wants to commit fraud. not everyone wants a warranty.

most come for answers and litle does have his way of giving his opinions but he isnt lying. commend him for his honesty. he is an ass but everyone has that friend...for my friends its me.

between litle, a few others, and research I learned what afm is and how it works. once learned how i decided the mechanical and computer portions needed to be out of my car...and quickly.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:12 PM   #14
SSGUNNER
Chu no guat a hasa is?

Drives: 11 2SS/RSL99No Longer Stock
Ill get a tune if little88 pays for my warranty.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:46 PM   #15
smokum

Drives: 2010 2ssrs
I have the same car but a 2ss. I have been planning my car build slowly. First was gears, then my suspension. I also put real rubber on it. Goodyear f1 supercar 285/305 combo with adm widened wheels. Once all suspension is done its time to go big. TT forged lsx. Plus if your going to buy it build it and enjoy it. Have it tuned. Warranty IMO.... Who needs it when there are so many things you can upgrade to fix any problems that may ever occur. There is so much support on here you will always solve any problem you might have. Buy it, build it, beat it, and enjoy it.
smokum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:21 PM   #16
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

I'm not, but nobody knows the long term of what this device does. I also am not the type that will alter the tune of the car or "trick" the PCM into something and then unplug it if something happens and play dumb? And put GM on the hook knowing it could of been my fault. Sorry I'm not accusing or self righteous I just love GM and in the long run I'm going to be hurting its employees and other customers by raising prices. Sorry but it's not MY style. I'm playing and if I have to pay then so be it but its gonna be just me!

Join us:
Old 05-24-2013, 10:25 PM   #17
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Quote:
Exactly
Old 05-24-2013, 11:48 PM   #18
rberns

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
OP, your going to notice a little...a lot of lag from when you punch the throttle to the time the tires start turning. This has to do with AFM kicking in and out and also your transmission dropping a gear or so to get going. Another thing to help out with the responsiveness to this is getting a Ported Throttle Body and a good tune, but if your going to tune you might as well through on some long tube headers!
Old 05-25-2013, 01:46 AM   #19
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
That's not his intention. There is a way to do something and always a better way. He is just suggesting the better way. If you notice the amount of glitches that range device is now causing tuning the car would be a better way to disable afm. And to date I can't think of one car that has been denied warranty work because of being tuned. Not that it can't happen, it just hasn't.
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
not everyone wants to commit fraud. not everyone wants a warranty.

most come for answers and litle does have his way of giving his opinions but he isnt lying. commend him for his honesty. he is an ass but everyone has that friend...for my friends its me.

between litle, a few others, and research I learned what afm is and how it works. once learned how i decided the mechanical and computer portions needed to be out of my car...and quickly.
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokum View Post
I have the same car but a 2ss. I have been planning my car build slowly. First was gears, then my suspension. I also put real rubber on it. Goodyear f1 supercar 285/305 combo with adm widened wheels. Once all suspension is done its time to go big. TT forged lsx. Plus if your going to buy it build it and enjoy it. Have it tuned. Warranty IMO.... Who needs it when there are so many things you can upgrade to fix any problems that may ever occur. There is so much support on here you will always solve any problem you might have. Buy it, build it, beat it, BREAK IT, REBUILD IT and enjoy it.
I corrected the ending lol

Join us:
Old 05-25-2013, 01:52 AM   #20
bw26ss
Banned

Drives: ss camaro
I agree, tune it and forget about it.
bw26ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:39 AM   #21
tys2010camaro

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
You ask LITTLE a question, he will give you an honest answer. He has helped myself and many out there by doing that. If you are going to half ass something or are pissing your money away, he's the first to tell you. If you are concerned about warranty issues then leave the damn thing alone! Do it right or don't do it at all.
tys2010camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:16 PM   #22
mikeyg36
The GT Troll Hundred

Drives: 2012 Ashen Gray 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tys2010camaro View Post
You ask LITTLE a question, he will give you an honest answer. He has helped myself and many out there by doing that. If you are going to half ass something or are pissing your money away, he's the first to tell you. If you are concerned about warranty issues then leave the damn thing alone! Do it right or don't do it at all.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:18 PM   #23
SSGUNNER
Chu no guat a hasa is?

Drives: 11 2SS/RSL99No Longer Stock
Can we all just get along.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:14 PM   #24
drayco513

Drives: ss2/rs
Quote:

Thanks,

Jim
im pretty sure most gm deals will say that will void ur warranty aswell. but a tune is saver if ur ok with no warranty. but some dealers will still warranty stuff with a tune (some not all but some). last i read on the range is its not 100% on the warranty .
Old 05-25-2013, 10:56 PM   #25
Irnwkrkev

Drives: 2011 SS/RS LS3
WOW, all this talk about tuning and a product when that isn't what the OP asked about.

I'd say you can probably find better answers in the convertible section. They probably have good info on any problems specific to the convertibles.

Maybe compare prices on autotrader.com.
Irnwkrkev is offline   Reply With Quote