Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
SDPC
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2013, 06:35 AM   #1
Glen e


 
Glen e's Avatar
 
Drives: Garnet 2LT RS, PCX 150
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Retired from Car Biz/Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 5,205
New 2ss water spots

So I pulled out the closet last night I have:
Meg UC
Meg UP
Meg 205
Menzerna Fg400
Menzerna Sp4500
BF GEP
XMIT 360
Ultima prep

What to use for water spots....hmmmmmmm
Glen e is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:46 AM   #2
family man

 
Drives: .
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: .
Posts: 1,088
Will a clay bar take care of these? It's probably a good start to get rid of any grit/dirt that may have built up on the car. Did it sit on a dealers lot for a while?
family man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:50 AM   #3
Glen e


 
Glen e's Avatar
 
Drives: Garnet 2LT RS, PCX 150
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Retired from Car Biz/Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 5,205
Yeah plan to use a speedy prep towel first ....days on lot was about 100....
Glen e is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:01 AM   #4
Rockey33
 
Rockey33's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 IOM Camaro SS
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 168
I used Meguiars UC on my new Jeep that had water spots. It took them right out.
Rockey33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:02 AM   #5
habunow1
 
habunow1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Yellow 2SS, 2011 CG 1LT IPF SC
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Beaufort SC
Posts: 447
If your car is black plan on having water spots all the time. After washing it use detailer spray and a good microfiber towel.
habunow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:28 AM   #6
Glen e


 
Glen e's Avatar
 
Drives: Garnet 2LT RS, PCX 150
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Retired from Car Biz/Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 5,205
red car...no problems...if you have black look into a wipe walk away polymer sealant - really changes the way you maintain dark cars...soooo much easier...
Glen e is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:38 AM   #7
axis
Search Ninja
 
axis's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Central Ark
Posts: 7,191
You might as well clay, polish, glaze, seal, and wax the whole thing. Wish I would have done that to my car first thing. Wouldn't think you'd need anything grittier than UC or even UP.
__________________
2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Halltech CF 102 fed
GPI modded intake manifold
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:42 AM   #8
Glen e


 
Glen e's Avatar
 
Drives: Garnet 2LT RS, PCX 150
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Retired from Car Biz/Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 5,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
You might as well clay, polish, glaze, seal, and wax the whole thing. Wish I would have done that to my car first thing. Wouldn't think you'd need anything grittier than UC or even UP.
Oh I certainly plan to - my master plan that works for me is:

1. clay/speedy to clean paint
2. one of the above to elim any imperfections
3. Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish- griots DA/CCS white pad
4. (Probably) Blackfire Wet diamond - DA with blue pad
5. Two coats Blackfire Crystal seal ( the real magic)
Glen e is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:06 AM   #9
WiSSDiver

 
WiSSDiver's Avatar
 
Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS, 2011 2SS/RS
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: WIsconsin
Posts: 1,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Oh I certainly plan to - my master plan that works for me is:

1. clay/speedy to clean paint
2. one of the above to elim any imperfections
3. Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish- griots DA/CCS white pad
4. (Probably) Blackfire Wet diamond - DA with blue pad
5. Two coats Blackfire Crystal seal ( the real magic)
Probably goes without saying,but your first step really should be a 2 bucket wash. I personally leave the car wet and go straight to Claying before drying. Your local water condition will dictate whether or not you can do this as well.

While clay / prep towel will remove imbedded contaminates, if you clay without washing first, you'll damage your surface and your polishing step will take a lot longer to fix.

Also, Black car, red car, what ever color car, the color doesn't matter. They all have a clear coat on top of them which is what you're actually fixing and it doesn't care what color the base coat below it is. Your fix is on the clear coat surface should be the same regardless of base coat color.
__________________
WiSSDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:15 AM   #10
Glen e


 
Glen e's Avatar
 
Drives: Garnet 2LT RS, PCX 150
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Retired from Car Biz/Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 5,205
Thanks... Been detailing for years...certainly a wash either with my foam gun or rinselesd is how we start ... Actually just wondering how the paint is for initial correction...

I hear "its hard but is delicate".. So goes the water based urethanes!

while I agree the "clear is clear", I respectfully disagree, blacks show need of correction far quicker that other colors like silver or white...color does matter...

At this point I think I'll try UC with a soft pad...it's very pad dependant...

Last edited by Glen e; 05-25-2013 at 08:27 AM.
Glen e is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:27 AM   #11
WiSSDiver

 
WiSSDiver's Avatar
 
Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS, 2011 2SS/RS
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: WIsconsin
Posts: 1,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Thanks... Been detailing for years...certainly a wash either with my foam gun or rinselesd is how we start ... Actually just wondering how the paint is for initial correction...

I hear "its hard but is delicate".. So goes the water based urethanes!

while I agree the "clear is clear", I respectfully disagree, blacks show need of correction far quicker that other colors like silver or white...color does matter...
To a point, I agree that the black makes the scratches and swirls easier to see without additional light, but your still fixing the clear coat in the same manner regardless of the color. I think we agree though.
__________________
WiSSDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:29 AM   #12
Glen e


 
Glen e's Avatar
 
Drives: Garnet 2LT RS, PCX 150
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Retired from Car Biz/Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 5,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiSSDiver View Post
To a point, I agree that the black makes the scratches and swirls easier to see without additional light, but your still fixing the clear coat in the same manner regardless of the color. I think we agree though.
yes we do..you do it no diff...it just SHOWS faster, I guess is what I'm saying, that being said, putting a hard polymer shell or opti coat slows it down a bit!
Glen e is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:34 AM   #13
WiSSDiver

 
WiSSDiver's Avatar
 
Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS, 2011 2SS/RS
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: WIsconsin
Posts: 1,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
yes we do..you do it no diff...it just SHOWS faster, I guess is what I'm saying, that being said, putting a hard polymer shell or opti coat slows it down a bit!
Oh heck yeah.
__________________
WiSSDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:34 AM   #14
WiSSDiver

 
WiSSDiver's Avatar
 
Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS, 2011 2SS/RS
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: WIsconsin
Posts: 1,251
BTW Glen, welcome to the forum!
__________________
WiSSDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.