Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Flowmaster Exhaust
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2013, 08:20 AM   #1
nyadk5thgen
 
nyadk5thgen's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 M6 JRE cam & tune
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Adirondack region, NY
Posts: 62
Exhaust?? cat back vs axle back....am i missing out?

Sure this has been bet to death but i could no find thread to answer my questions so......... My car is JRE cammed,tunned,headers,hi-flows etc etc. Question is using the stock mid section, into the Borla Atak axle back, am i not taking advantage of anything that a full cat back would do?? The resonators in the stock mid, are they restrictive enough to be robbing me of anything? The set up i'm running is 2.5"....... what would be gained going to a full 3"??

So, am i missing out on much to be gained there?? Thanks all!
nyadk5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:50 AM   #2
RJT-SS
 
RJT-SS's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 2SS/RS A6
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 505
I don't have any first-hand experience with this but I have read endless threads about it and have not seen numbers that substantiate any gains by removing the stock mid section. You will lose weight by going with something else but that's about it. Ted Jannetty has posted several responses to threads about this and he claims that, on his dyno testing, he did not see any difference in the stock system from the H-pipe back vs. after-market cat backs. The flow is basically the same. I have not read where any other dyno shops have done comparisons on this. Sound, of course, is a different issue. Hope this helps.
__________________
Performance Mods:
Kooks 1-7/8 LTs; Calico coated w/HFCs, Solo Mach XL catback w/J-pipes, VMax TB, C.A.I. Intake, JRE Tune, RX Catch-Can
RJT-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:31 PM   #3
nyadk5thgen
 
nyadk5thgen's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 M6 JRE cam & tune
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Adirondack region, NY
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJT-SS View Post
I don't have any first-hand experience with this but I have read endless threads about it and have not seen numbers that substantiate any gains by removing the stock mid section. You will lose weight by going with something else but that's about it. Ted Jannetty has posted several responses to threads about this and he claims that, on his dyno testing, he did not see any difference in the stock system from the H-pipe back vs. after-market cat backs. The flow is basically the same. I have not read where any other dyno shops have done comparisons on this. Sound, of course, is a different issue. Hope this helps.
Thats what i thought but just wanted to hear it from someone else....Adding to that Ted says is as well thats all i need ... Thanks bud
nyadk5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:57 PM   #4
BubbaSS
WHAT RED LIGHT?!
 
BubbaSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Black Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyadk5thgen View Post
Sure this has been bet to death but i could no find thread to answer my questions so......... My car is JRE cammed,tunned,headers,hi-flows etc etc. Question is using the stock mid section, into the Borla Atak axle back, am i not taking advantage of anything that a full cat back would do?? The resonators in the stock mid, are they restrictive enough to be robbing me of anything? The set up i'm running is 2.5"....... what would be gained going to a full 3"??

So, am i missing out on much to be gained there?? Thanks all!
I don't think so...eliminating cats would be most beneficial with your current mods.
__________________
2011 2SS/RS M6 BLACK - VARARAM NO TUNE INTAKE, MODDED AND PORTED BBK 95MM TB, INTAKE MANIFOLD PORTED TO 95MM, DOUG THORLEY LT'S, CATLESS, X-PIPE, 25" STAINLESS WORKS RETRO CHAMBERED MUFFLERS, CUSTOM 2.5" MANDREL BENT EXHAUST, RICHMOND 4.10 GEARS, CUSTOM CAM (231/242 @ 114LSA) & DYNO TUNED BY TORQ (WWW.GETTORQ.COM), 20% CERAMIC TINTS, EIBACH PROKIT SPRINGS 1" DROP, HAWK PERFORMANCE CERAMIC BRAKES, NITTO INVO TIRES, HYDROCARBON TAIL LIGHT AND FOG LIGHT BEZELS BY EMBLEMPROS, METRA DASH KIT, JVC KW-AV71BT, PHOENIX GOLD iAMP GM1, PASSPORT QI45 - MUSTANG DYNO RESULTS: 450 RWHP 415 RWTQ
BubbaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:02 PM   #5
axis
Search Ninja
 
axis's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Central Ark
Posts: 7,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaSS View Post
I don't think so...eliminating cats would be most beneficial with your current mods.
He has his terminology mixed up. He's talking about the pipes from the cats to the axleback.
__________________
2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Halltech CF 102 fed
GPI modded intake manifold
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:49 PM   #6
62nalide

 
62nalide's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 SS
Join Date: May 2013
Location: DFW
Posts: 2,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJT-SS View Post
I don't have any first-hand experience with this but I have read endless threads about it and have not seen numbers that substantiate any gains by removing the stock mid section. You will lose weight by going with something else but that's about it. Ted Jannetty has posted several responses to threads about this and he claims that, on his dyno testing, he did not see any difference in the stock system from the H-pipe back vs. after-market cat backs. The flow is basically the same. I have not read where any other dyno shops have done comparisons on this. Sound, of course, is a different issue. Hope this helps.
I disagree in that. It all depends on what you want as far as setups, OP, a full 3" will help if your boosted for sure, and if your doing a big cam/nitrous setup.
My boosted truck picked up 27rwhp 33rwtq going from 3.5" to a full 4" exhaust that .5" helped again in a boosted application. If your going to do a nice wild setup it sure will be worth doing.
__________________
VVT cam equipped.
N/A 6.2L 7.20s in the 1/8!
11.26 @ 124.11 mph in the 1/4
62nalide is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.