Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing Discussions on mechanical maintenance and servicing of your Camaro

Old 12-10-2014, 06:54 PM   #1
SoBeGirl
Be the Change

Drives: bad ass 2010 ss
Should You Get your Throttle Body Cleaned? YES!!

I thought it was BS and the dealership just wanted to make some money. However, it did help. I have an SS with 50k miles on it. It was running great. started up good idled good so I did not think I needed it. And it really did not need it but now that I have it done I am glad I did. It has more snort, starts up quicker just feels crisper. LIke when you cut the hairs out of your nose .. You breath better. You were breathing good before but now.. AHHHH. that is how the car feels.

I love this car. What a bargain and what a beast.
SoBeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 07:01 PM   #2
EFI

Drives: poop
Noone ever said it was a bad thing to clean the throttle, especially with the PCV system that blasts oil vapors into the intake tract.

What is BS and people usually advice against is having this done at the dealership for hundreds of dollars when all it takes is 5 minutes of your time and a 4 dollar can of carb cleaner.
EFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 07:30 PM   #3
Warpaint69

Drives: 2013 VR 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBeGirl View Post
I thought it was BS and the dealership just wanted to make some money. However, it did help. I have an SS with 50k miles on it. It was running great. started up good idled good so I did not think I needed it. And it really did not need it but now that I have it done I am glad I did. It has more snort, starts up quicker just feels crisper. LIke when you cut the hairs out of your nose .. You breath better. You were breathing good before but now.. AHHHH. that is how the car feels.

Do you have a catch can? If you don't, it'll help with this.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:13 PM   #4
TheSmokingSuns

Drives: 2011 Black Camaro 2LT/Non-RS
Quote:

How much did you pay?

TheSmokingSuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 11:42 PM   #5
SCREAMING EAGLE

Drives: 2012 CAMARO 2SS 45TH,L99
So what do you do,just pour in the carb cleaner and run thru a tank of gas?
SCREAMING EAGLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 11:48 PM   #6
rudySS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
How much did u pay for tha service
rudySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 11:57 PM   #7
Mark T
American Gold Whisperer

Drives: 2014 White 1LE 2SS/RS/NPP/Rec/Nav
I just did my wifes car. It had never been done so it took 3 cans of carb cleaner.

Took maybe an hour or so, including removing the throttle body and putting it back.

Cost: $15 with tax.

And yes, huge improvement.
Mark T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 08:43 AM   #8
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMING EAGLE View Post
So what do you do,just pour in the carb cleaner and run thru a tank of gas?
In tank cleaners don't do a lot. You can pour Seafoam down the PCV vacuum tube while its running and that will clean the intake and valves. I usually pour a little, shut it off and let it sit for 15 minutes, and then start it back up and pour the rest. In drive by wire cars like the GenVs, you really need someone to give it gas to keep it running while you pour.

You can also take the TB off and spray it with carb cleaner to just clean the TB, but that won't do anything for the intake.

None of this addresses injector cleaning which is a good idea as well, but you need the adapter that connects to your Schrader valve, which allows you to run straight Tecron through the engine. This does a lot to keep the injectors clean and sometimes you can actually feel it with your SOTP dyno. If you decide try this, do some research. The fuel system power must be disabled or for it to work properly. I've seen knuckle heads crimp the fuel hose and burn the fuel pump up.

2010 SS w/LS9 cam, headers, nitrous and Blackbear tune.

Last edited by CamaroCracka; 12-11-2014 at 09:37 AM.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 09:04 AM   #9
Spartan01

Drives: Evil Eva, 2010 2SS LS3
Quote:

You are a girl that needs to trim her nose hair in order to breath better?
I never knew that was a thing, until now.
Is this a common practice? Do most women do this?
It is true what they say: Ignorance is bliss.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:50 AM   #10
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T View Post
I just did my wifes car. It had never been done so it took 3 cans of carb cleaner.

Took maybe an hour or so, including removing the throttle body and putting it back.

Cost: $15 with tax.

And yes, huge improvement.
How in the world did you manage 3 cans on one throttle body? I can rebuild 5 carburators with one!
Old 12-11-2014, 01:17 PM   #11
Mark T
American Gold Whisperer

Drives: 2014 White 1LE 2SS/RS/NPP/Rec/Nav
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
How in the world did you manage 3 cans on one throttle body? I can rebuild 5 carburators with one!
Had I known it was as crudded up as it was I would have done it years ago. I performed this while I was replacing the intake plenum gaskets, so maybe my post was misleading as some of the cleaner did make its way thru the TB adaptor and plenum while I had them off. But rest assured the TB got most of the spray. I think my wife has been buying some crappy gas somewheres.
Mark T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 11:15 AM   #12
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T View Post
Had I known it was as crudded up as it was I would have done it years ago. I performed this while I was replacing the intake plenum gaskets, so maybe my post was misleading as some of the cleaner did make its way thru the TB adaptor and plenum while I had them off. But rest assured the TB got most of the spray. I think my wife has been buying some crappy gas somewheres.
No worries, just giving you a hard time. Theycan get pretty nasty.
Old 12-13-2014, 05:02 PM   #13
SoBeGirl
Be the Change

Drives: bad ass 2010 ss
My boyfriend gets his nose hairs trimmed and says he can breath better. However, if you clean it your self and get some of that shit in the engine you are in big trouble.. Should I do and do the injector cleaning as well?
SoBeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 04:20 AM   #14
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroCracka View Post
In tank cleaners don't do a lot. You can pour Seafoam down the PCV vacuum tube while its running and that will clean the intake and valves. I usually pour a little, shut it off and let it sit for 15 minutes, and then start it back up and pour the rest. In drive by wire cars like the GenVs, you really need someone to give it gas to keep it running while you pour.

You can also take the TB off and spray it with carb cleaner to just clean the TB, but that won't do anything for the intake.

None of this addresses injector cleaning which is a good idea as well, but you need the adapter that connects to your Schrader valve, which allows you to run straight Tecron through the engine. This does a lot to keep the injectors clean and sometimes you can actually feel it with your SOTP dyno. If you decide try this, do some research. The fuel system power must be disabled or for it to work properly. I've seen knuckle heads crimp the fuel hose and burn the fuel pump up.
This is why it's worth $170 to let the pros do it.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:01 AM   #15
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydriver View Post
This is why it's worth $170 to let the pros do it.
I am a pro. I learned how to do it working at a national "quick lube" chain making $6 almost 25 years ago. That is where I saw another pro burn up a fuel pump because he did not disconnect the power and just crimped the fuel line with the clamp that comes in the kit. Boy was that guy pissed when they rented him a Festiva.

However, if someone is dangerous with tools, I do agree it is best to let others do the work. I know many people like this and they do more harm than good. I used to do a lot of pro bono car and computer work for these folks and then I decided to let Social Darwinism take its course. I think they ended up with Apple MacBooks and Toyota Prius.

2010 SS w/LS9 cam, headers, nitrous and Blackbear tune.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote