Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

River City Camaro Customs
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 05-26-2013, 07:41 PM   #1
yellowrs
Saftladen

Drives: 2010 SS 426 V8 M/T
Disappointed with amount of dust from K&N CAI

So I just installed my K&N Typhoon CAI a few days and already I am annoyed with the amount of dust in my engine compartment.
I also do not like the sound nor can I feel the difference in increased horse power either.
I am surprised not more members are unhappy with their K & N purchase?
Attached Images

Last edited by yellowrs; 05-26-2013 at 11:10 PM.
yellowrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:17 PM   #2
ICTsccaCamaro
ITCRNRS

Drives: 2014 Summit White 2SS/RS 1LE
Your thinking the k&n is causing the dust?

Wichita Region SCCA Autocross
#23 FS
http://www.wichitascca.org/SoloII.html
ICTsccaCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:47 PM   #3
yellowrs
Saftladen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICTsccaCamaro View Post
Your thinking the k&n is causing the dust?
Yes, I never had that amount of dust in the engine compartment with my stock air intake.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:51 PM   #4
Liam
Tampa Bay Camaros

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3 - Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowrs View Post
So I just installed my K&N Typhoon CAI a few days and already I am annoyed with the amount of dust in my engine compartment.
I also do not like the sound nor can I feel the difference in increased horse power either.
I am surprised not more members are unhappy with their K & N purchase?
1) The sound will be approximately the same from most intakes. They will always have that "growl".

2) The dust will also be the same with any intake, but should be mostly within the box. If there is a lot of dust outside the box, check the rubber seal around the top of the box to make sure it is meeting snug with the hood.

3) As far as the brand/performance...yeah all the other well known brands are much better in performance.
Liam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:57 PM   #5
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
Hey now! Consider a CAI brand next time.

I wonder if more dust is showing up because the airflow under the hood changed due to removing the stock airbox.

John B.
1986 Mitsubishi Montero 2.4l FI Transplant
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:58 PM   #6
TastyBake

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS Black
The cai wont cause that. It can't make dust come in.
Your seals may have been misaligned during the cai install.

There aren't many complaints because most people don't get K&N as there are better cai out there. There is a thread w/ dyno numbers that show k&n doing little in increasing HP and TQ.

As mentioned above, all CAIs have that darth vader
Suction sound.
TastyBake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:20 PM   #7
SS785

Drives: Camaro SS
Most cone style CAIs have that suction-type sound. It's what they do. Vararam-style intakes have more of a growl sound (No hiss).

On the other hand, did you disconnect the battery and made sure that the tube was correctly aligned? K&N is kinda cheap so it doesn't line up as easily as other intakes, just double check the alignment and make sure it's straight. If everything is right, you should feel a difference man. If all fails, you can try a different brand but just for reference, I switched to a CAI and while it fits a lot better, it doesn't drive/feel any better in the street than the K&N.

Good luck, hope you can pinpoint the issue.
SS785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:42 PM   #8
Chat01

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS L99
I installed my K&N Typhoon a few weeks ago. I've had no dust/dirty issues under the hood that I can tell
I did the fuse pull for $h1ts and giggles after the install, not sure if I had to or not. As for the sound I think it sounds pretty good when you get on it. I've had K&Ns on my other vehicles with no issues. Never expected my car to be a much bigger beast with one on there either.
Chat01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:14 PM   #9
yellowrs
Saftladen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBfromPeoria View Post
Hey now! Consider a CAI brand next time.

I wonder if more dust is showing up because the airflow under the hood changed due to removing the stock airbox.

John B.
Hi John,
As you know I do a lot of driving on the freeway now. I never had that much dirt inside before.
The $ 145 extra for the CAI brand seems well worth it.
Will keep you posted.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:17 PM   #10
yellowrs
Saftladen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS785 View Post
Most cone style CAIs have that suction-type sound. It's what they do. Vararam-style intakes have more of a growl sound (No hiss).

On the other hand, did you disconnect the battery and made sure that the tube was correctly aligned? K&N is kinda cheap so it doesn't line up as easily as other intakes, just double check the alignment and make sure it's straight. If everything is right, you should feel a difference man. If all fails, you can try a different brand but just for reference, I switched to a CAI and while it fits a lot better, it doesn't drive/feel any better in the street than the K&N.

Good luck, hope you can pinpoint the issue.
Yeah, everything looked good.
I guess living in the desert does not help either.
Anyway I just went back to OEM.
Will give the CAI brand a try.
By looking at the picture it seems it will contain they amount of airflow within the box.
Thanks
Old 05-26-2013, 10:35 PM   #11
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5 & C6
Had mine for over 3 years w/o issues nor complaints. The Typhoon works/looks great on my ride. Do you drive alot of gravel roads?
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:56 PM   #12
yellowrs
Saftladen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SLVRBULIT View Post
Had mine for over 3 years w/o issues nor complaints. The Typhoon works/looks great on my ride. Do you drive alot of gravel roads?
Phoenix AZ is just like a gravel road.
You need to dust your house at least once a week.
I am sure the K & N works much better in colder and more humid places.
Anyway too much dust for me.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:10 PM   #13
Stock6.0GTO
Under an ISX or DD15

Drives: GTO
sorry for your purchase but they did start out for dirtbikes so for dirt and dust they are normally good lol side note, i did testing on my 2000 camaro at the track with a fram filter vs k&n, no difference at all.

i agree with tasty on the seals might be misaligned though. stick with stock
Old 05-27-2013, 02:38 AM   #14
markas214

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS L99 SIM convertible
I wonder how much dust a scoop would pull in here in Az.
markas214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:46 AM   #15
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
Well if your intake is sealed like it should be you shouldn't have any dust in your engine compartment that you can attribute to the intake.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:38 AM   #16
kostnkost
Roof expert detail noob

Drives: 2013 BRM 2LT RS
CAI brand FTW

Old 05-27-2013, 06:48 AM   #17
davidcroft
Sellin Chevy's since '06

Drives: 2013 GXH 1SS/1LE 2014 SS sedan

My sh*t works great! Dust and noise? Really? Oh and who buys a cold air intake off peak gains with that being their only single mod? Cold air is like a catback....maybe worth a couple HP and TQ by themselves....but later down the road with other mods allows the car to breathe a lot more easily.
K&N is a very well respected brand and most other cold air intake companies use their filters on the end of their kit.

I guess some people want a modded car to drive like stock....I want a modded car to drive and sound like a modded car
Old 05-27-2013, 08:43 AM   #18
TastyBake

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcroft View Post

My sh*t works great! Dust and noise? Really? Oh and who buys a cold air intake off peak gains with that being their only single mod? Cold air is like a catback....maybe worth a couple HP and TQ by themselves....but later down the road with other mods allows the car to breathe a lot more easily.
K&N is a very well respected brand and most other cold air intake companies use their filters on the end of their kit.

I guess some people want a modded car to drive like stock....I want a modded car to drive and sound like a modded car
I agree with this. K&N is a respected company. Heck, all the filters out there look like theres. But some CAIs do perform better that K&N's cookie cutter design (one standard design for all cars).

But were talking a few pony difference. As stated above, you have to do more mods to really feel something.
TastyBake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:46 AM   #19
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS
I have CAI inc brand cold air intake.

K & N seems to be the least respected CAI on this forum, fyi. Just because they are a big popular brand, doesnt mean they are the best.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:34 AM   #20
Blue10CamaroSS
454 RWHP 448 TQ

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS/RS
I have a K&N that came with the car so I can't compare it to a stock air in take. But then I felt the need to paint it:
Old 05-27-2013, 11:22 AM   #21
62nalide

Drives: 2013 SS
The ADM race intake is a bada$$ one I could feel it the scoop is a nice touch not to mention tje MAF is located in the air box for cooler temps, been playing the hot rod game for 12yrs now and any open intake is no good. I hope I can find my old dyno sheets of other builds k&n vs stock intake with a drop in filter were pretty much dead even IMO boxed and closed are the way to go. Thos weekend including mine there were 4 camaros running the ADM race intake and every single one had improved track times and mph.
62nalide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:42 AM   #22
drayco513

Drives: ss2/rs
i had this same intake and just about 2 months ago got the rotofab its a much better intake but costs about 150 more. but as far as u cant feel the diff. i wouldnt worry tomuch about it. my butt dyno is off too. i can couldnt tell much diff when i put headers on . but some ppl can tell. i have a lil section or striaght stretch below my house that i marked my speed at a sign to tell if my car gains anything mph wise that tell u more then a butt dyno that way

asfar as dust when ur hood is closed that should be sealing off the engine just like a closed intake. look on ur hood liner and see if u can tell if it sealing ornot
Old 05-27-2013, 11:51 AM   #23
Bo White
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Summit White 1SS
Intakes are like headers. Cheerleaders and such. Hell, even the spectre is better than the OEM. I've tested the rotofab and the spectre on my car and the rotofab gained the most but it was tested on my car when it was stock and the spectre when it had headers installed. I would have liked to test the spectre when it was stock or the rotofab now but I'm done testing for the moment. I tell people to buy what looks the best to them.
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote