Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 05-28-2013, 07:54 AM   #1
virgand

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Header Wrap?

Hello All,
I plan to purchase a set of TSP headers and I was curious should I use header wrap? I know their are benefits of reduced heat are there any other real benefits?

http://www.texas-speed.com/p-4012-te...ro-ss-62l.aspx
virgand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:59 AM   #2
Camaro_Custom_Painted
Choke on that causality!

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Keep in mind that wrapping the headers will decrease their lifespan as they are not able to dissipate heat as well.
Edelbrock EForce - Stainless Works Headers - BMR Sways & Arms - Rotofab CAI - Assorted Interior, Exterior, Underhood Bling - Red Jewel Stripes & Full Body Clear - Lexani LX15 Wheels - JRE Fuel Rail Upgrade & Tune - Heartthrob XPipe - Elite Catch Can - Pedders Cradle & Front Arm Bushings - Hotchkis Strut Brace - MSD Wires - Carbotech Brakes - DSS 1000HP Axles - Mickey Thompson Tires - Halo Harness - Whats Next?

Last edited by Camaro_Custom_Painted; 05-28-2013 at 09:15 AM.
Camaro_Custom_Painted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:13 AM   #3
BubbaSS
WHAT RED LIGHT?!

Drives: 2011 Black Camaro 2SS/RS M6
My headers killed my starter, but I put heatwrap on my new starter instead, had no issues since.
2011 2SS/RS M6 BLACK - VARARAM NO TUNE INTAKE, BBK 95MM TB-INTAKE MANIFOLD PORTED TO MATCH, DOUG THORLEY LT'S, CATLESS, X-PIPE, 25" STAINLESS WORKS RETRO CHAMBERED MUFFLERS, CUSTOM 2.5" MANDREL BENT EXHAUST, RICHMOND 4.10 GEARS, CUSTOM CAM (231/242 @ 114LSA) & DYNO TUNED BY TORQ (WWW.GETTORQ.COM), 20% CERAMIC TINTS, EIBACH PROKIT SPRINGS 1" DROP, HAWK PERFORMANCE CERAMIC BRAKES, NITTO INVO TIRES, HYDROCARBON TAIL LIGHT AND FOG LIGHT BEZELS BY EMBLEMPROS, METRA DASH KIT, JVC KW-AV71BT, PHOENIX GOLD iAMP GM1, PASSPORT QI45 - MUSTANG DYNO RESULTS: 440 RWHP 400 RWTQ
BubbaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:17 AM   #4
Birm

Drives: Florida Speed & Power
I would prefer getting them coated, for lifespan and for appearance personally.

Florida Speed & Power (941) 756 - RACE
http://www.floridaspeedandpower.com/

Birm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:22 AM   #5
Sack Rat 2SS

Drives: Silver SS/RS, Man 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birm View Post
I would prefer getting them coated, for lifespan and for appearance personally.
I did both. Coated headers first. Then did the wrap in two locations, passenger side along where starter/shield is located and on driver side where header is close to oil/water cooler. Has held up now for three years with no issues.
GM 3.91 Rear Gears
Sack Rat 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:26 AM   #6
vroomapunk
Cammed!!!!!!

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS
I recommend these options for headers:

Coated Mild steel

Stainless (no coating)

Coated Stainless

All three options will last for a long time, coated or uncoated, stainless will last forever (uncoated will just discolor).

Wrapping is highly opposed by a lot of people on this forum, ESPECIALLY vendors, performance shops, and the companies that manufacture headers themselves.

The wrap will hold in moisture and other stuff that can cause issues.

What is your reason for wrapping? You are better off getting something vented to keep the temps down in the engine bay, or getting a coating so it cools off faster.

Other than that, you can protect you plug wires with sleeves, but you really dont even need that.

You can look at pics and in the engine bay for yourself and see that headers have a lot of room in our cars, the only thing mine come close to, is the steering shaft, which heat isnt going to affect. And they definitely dont come in contact with anything.

The plug wires are so short that they naturally dont touch the headers, but I put the sleeves on as overkill.
Attached Images

Old 05-28-2013, 08:53 AM   #7
Birm

Drives: Florida Speed & Power
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sack Rat 2SS View Post
I did both. Coated headers first. Then did the wrap in two locations, passenger side along where starter/shield is located and on driver side where header is close to oil/water cooler. Has held up now for three years with no issues.
I am glad it has worked out, and hopefully continues to do so. I just gave my .02cents. I prefer aesthitcs as well as performance so coating is for me.

The headers get red hot and it can actually temper the steel and make it weaker, the wrap retains heat in a way that can create excessive heat build up and stress on the primary tubes. this is why I would rather see coating in/out as oppose to the wrap.

Florida Speed & Power (941) 756 - RACE
http://www.floridaspeedandpower.com/

Birm is offline   Reply With Quote