Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

LSR Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Old 05-28-2013, 01:28 PM   #1
snaphappy

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible SS2/RS LS3
Conflicting Brake Info Everywhere On Here

Need brakes soon, always done them myself. Always gone with ceramic. But never did breaks on a performance car like this. So I get on here for insight and here are my conclusions so far:

Everyone just suggests hawks. But if you read the reviews on here of people who installed hawks you'll learn that A) They squeak the same as factory B) Do not stop the car noticeably better than factory pads.

Almost no one suggests any other brand break pads. Weird.

Next rotors. Lots of pretty drilled rotors out there. K nice. But what do people say after installing them? "I didn't notice better performance."

Right now I don't see any reason to upgrade to aftermarket equipment. This car stops insanely well with the factory brakes. They just squeak a lot.

If you have first hand experience with rotors and pads that improve performance please reply, thanks!
snaphappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:36 PM   #2
Synner

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
There are hawks that stop better than stock. There's also a bunch of brands that do the same thing. But more people on here care about brake dust than performance so 98% say get ceramics. I've never had an issue with noise on well maintained brake pads on this car until switching to a track focused setup and I expected those to be noisy.

A drilled rotor will not provide better performance, but they will crack easier when abused on a track. People get them for a "look" that they claim to be high performance styled and yet are the opposite unless you go for a very thick rotor that won't fit inside stock calipers and is designed properly for the drilling.
Synner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:41 PM   #3
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Racing Brake rotors - IMO the best rotors on the market for our cars. But they're expensive, so I understand why a lot of people don't use them.

Hawk HPS brake pads - better stopping power than the OEM pads, and I've had mine on for about a month now - NEVER heard them squeak. I don't know what pads people were using that complained about not being able to stop the car, but these definitely perform better than the stock pads. And I got the added bonus of losing the roller skates.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:44 PM   #4
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
Are you asking about the street or the track?

Big difference between the two and there is a lot of information about track pads in this section. Personally I would not run hawk pads because there are much better options but they are more expensive and cause more dust which most people do not like. More stopping power equals more dust, fact.

Rotors, slotted are better than drilled but the drilled look cool, to some. Then it comes down to weight.

Personally, I run DBA 4000 slotted rotors with Carbotech Bobcats on the street. They are very good with no squeal and some dust.

T.

GO HAWKS!!!!!
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS used to OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:26 PM   #5
snaphappy

Sorry, yeah, for street. This is my daily driver, so the car means a lot to me. I had elaborate plans in my head to buy ridiculously expensive pads and rotors, just to spoil my baby.

Still need more convincing on the Hawk HPS. Or something even more exotic if there's a product I'm overlooking.

Actually went through this same thing with tires last week. Gonna stick with the P Zeros. Just couldn't find a tire that everyone agreed was better.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:29 PM   #6
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
I have Hawks, Brembos up front, v6 in the rear. The dust is less than stock and stop the same. I've noticed no difference in stopping from 140 mph in a short distance at the track.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:39 PM   #7
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by snaphappy View Post
Sorry, yeah, for street. This is my daily driver, so the car means a lot to me. I had elaborate plans in my head to buy ridiculously expensive pads and rotors, just to spoil my baby.

Still need more convincing on the Hawk HPS. Or something even more exotic if there's a product I'm overlooking.

Actually went through this same thing with tires last week. Gonna stick with the P Zeros. Just couldn't find a tire that everyone agreed was better.
Get some decent ceramic pads if its just for the street, hawks or stockers or what ever you like.

You can get some nice looking rotors for a decent price.

You won't hear anyone say anything bad about the michelin Piolt Super Sport tires. Nothing but good things about them......or at least I have not heard anything bad. Top rated on tire rack as well.

The main factor comes to what you are using the car for. If its just street, no sense in expensive rotors IMHO.

I have ran hawks street and track. Great pad, I like them but will try something better next time just to compare.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:51 AM   #8
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Hawk Ceramics perform about the same as stock. They are not a performance upgrade. People go with the Ceramics to reduce brake dust. If you want to improve performance then you need to look at Hawk HPS.

All that shimmers isn't gold. There are a lot of rotors available for these cars. Some of them are a cosmetic upgrade (look cool behind your wheels) and are usually very affordable and then there are performance rotors that typically cost a bit more. Just because they have slots or holes in them doesn't mean they are going to be better than stock. You have to do your research and buy the right product to accomplish your goal.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:40 AM   #9
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I've had Hawk HPS pads for a couple months. Much better stopping and I've had no squeal except for when I'm going really slow (under 5 mph).

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy S III using telekinesis.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:02 AM   #10
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Need brakes soon, always done them myself. Always gone with ceramic. But never did breaks on a performance car like this. So I get on here for insight and here are my conclusions so far:

Everyone just suggests hawks. But if you read the reviews on here of people who installed hawks you'll learn that A) They squeak the same as factory B) Do not stop the car noticeably better than factory pads.

Next rotors. Lots of pretty drilled rotors out there. K nice. But what do people say after installing them? "I didn't notice better performance."

Right now I don't see any reason to upgrade to aftermarket equipment. This car stops insanely well with the factory brakes. They just squeak a lot.

If you have first hand experience with rotors and pads that improve performance please reply, thanks!
How many miles on your car? What kind of driving do you do that you've already worn out your brakes?

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:34 AM   #11
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 10 Legacy 2.5GT, ...
Quote:

Everyone just suggests hawks.
Hawks are widely available, not terribly pricy, and they work quite well given that you choose the pad that fits your needs.

Quote:
But if you read the reviews on here of people who installed hawks you'll learn that A) They squeak the same as factory B) Do not stop the car noticeably better than factory pads.
A - you may need to read a little deeper into the reviews. HPS pads are quiet unless you get a piece of grit caught between a pad and the rotor (a couple of moderately hard stops usually dislodges it).
HP+ pads (which as an entry-level HPDE pad with a semblance of streetability are a lot more aggressive) absolutely will squeak (and dust like crazy).

B - may depend on bedding them in, and does seem to vary a bit among different cars.

Quote:
Forget drilled unless you're a mild to at most moderate driver and plan to enter car shows with a little seriousness. Pads don't "outgas" nearly as badly as they used to, so holes are little more than places for rotor cracks to get started at if you use your brakes really hard. Slotted is better than drilled, and tends to give crud, dust, and grit places to fall into rather than stay trapped under the pads and score up the rotor faces.

Quote:
It probably feels like it does, until you drive a car with pads that bite a lot harder a lot sooner. When it comes to brakes, you cannot imagine what you have not experienced.

My personal philosophy is to buy pads for performance first and foremost. Second would be for consideration of rotor wear (HP+ are a bit harsh in this respect). Noise and dust . . . I could hardly care less about, given that those aspects cease to matter when you really, really need all the brake performance that is available. In such situations, which seem to happen maybe once or twice per set of tires, it's too late to be wishing you'd chosen differently.

Norm

Mazda 626 V6 5MT . . . Hawk HPS (no ABS)
Maxima 5MT . . . Hawk HPS, slotted front rotors (has ABS, but we drove it a couple of years with it inop)
Mustang . . . HPS fronts upped to HP+, HPS rear, slotted rotors all around
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:26 AM   #12
SPCBA
Blake

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
for street whats wrong with oem. when properly installed with lube and properly bedded they have always been whisper quiet. if you have a dust issue and care about that ceramic pads would be nice for you...they dont stop as well, some claim its close but they are built for less dust.

Racingbrake has tons of pads on their website.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:56 AM   #13
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Initial bite isn't quite as good as a decent performance street pad, and nowhere near as good as pads a bit further up the food chain. That's been my consistent observation.

Norm
Old 05-29-2013, 12:28 PM   #14
JDP Tyler

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:

HPS will stop better, dust less and can be less noisy if bedded in properly.
As stated, Hawk pads are a well known, trusted and readily available pad.
Norm's post above summed it up pretty well.
The factory brakes and pads are great for an everyday street car, but they do leave something to be desired in performance driving situations.
My response is above in RED Please feel free to call, PM or email me anytime with questions.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
Old 05-29-2013, 07:17 PM   #15
snaphappy

I'm leaning toward hawk ceramics, similar performance, less dust, quieter, right? But I'm going to check the racingbrake website.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:20 PM   #16
snaphappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHMSC View Post
You won't hear anyone say anything bad about the michelin Piolt Super Sport tires. Nothing but good things about them......or at least I have not heard anything bad. Top rated on tire rack as well.
I was all set to buy these only to find out they don't fit my rear RS wheels. Unless you guys know something I don't. I need 275/40/20. The Michelins only come in 275/35/20
Old 05-29-2013, 10:20 PM   #17
SPCBA
Blake

dont know what rs wheels are but if you are worried about it go tire shopping
Old 05-29-2013, 10:31 PM   #18
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Quote:
I was all set to buy these only to find out they don't fit my rear RS wheels. Unless you guys know something I don't. I need 275/40/20. The Michelins only come in 275/35/20
Someone correct me if I am wrong but the ZL1's and 1LE's run 35 why can't an SS? Talk to someone more knowledgeable than me but I don't think it would be a problem?????
Old 05-29-2013, 10:41 PM   #19
SPCBA
Blake

i run 275.30.18 on the track and my car doesnt explode.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:45 PM   #20
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
i run 275.30.18 on the track and my car doesnt explode.
Lol
Old 05-30-2013, 05:58 AM   #21
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHMSC View Post
Someone correct me if I am wrong but the ZL1's and 1LE's run 35 why can't an SS? Talk to someone more knowledgeable than me but I don't think it would be a problem?????
No particular reason the car can't - with the advisory that you might have to run them at a slightly higher inflation pressure than you do in the SS's 275/40's or even the 1LE's 285/35's.

Most likely, the tougher part is getting the car's owner to accept a tire that's an inch or so shorter and has half an inch more tire to fender gap than what he's taking off.

Norm
Old 05-30-2013, 06:56 AM   #22
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
No particular reason the car can't - with the advisory that you might have to run them at a slightly higher inflation pressure than you do in the SS's 275/40's or even the 1LE's 285/35's.

Most likely, the tougher part is getting the car's owner to accept a tire that's an inch or so shorter and has half an inch more tire to fender gap than what he's taking off.

Norm
Yup. You'd be surprised how much people care about the fender gap.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:22 PM   #23
JDP Tyler

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
I'm leaning toward hawk ceramics, similar performance, less dust, quieter, right? But I'm going to check the racingbrake website.
They are a good pad for an everyday street car, but i wouldn't use them in any sort of competition/performance driving.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
Old 05-30-2013, 01:58 PM   #24
snaphappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
dont know what rs wheels are but if you are worried about it go tire shopping
The wheels that come with RS package
Old 05-30-2013, 02:03 PM   #25
snaphappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post

Norm
Just called Tire Rack and they won't even sell me 270/35/20. I would love the Michelin Super Sports, but there's got to be a reason they wont sell them to me. I think I'm just going to stick with Pirellis, I got 26,000 miles out of them. They were quiet and grippy, at least to me as a novice.