Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Lethal Racing
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 05-29-2013, 12:45 AM   #1
Marc ss

Drives: Synergy green SS
Good plan for L99?

Ok, here's what I was thinking.... Kooks 1 7/8 Long tubes, high flow cats, X-pipe to go along with the CIA and muffler delete I have already done. Would this combo be way to loud? What kind of HP would I gain? BTW I already have AFM tuned out...

Then.... I was wondering about a mild to medium cam and l99 to ls3 conversion. I don't take it to the track and I still want good street manners..

Thanks
Marc
Marc ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:00 AM   #2
45thCAMARO 2SS/RS
xquest91x

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS/RS
Sounds like a great plan! I just installed my kooks LT today!!! couldn't be any happier, I have a LS3 and current mods r CAI, JBA exhaust, and kooks 1 7/8 LT, soon to come is a VMax TB and tune! I say you go for it!!
45thCAMARO 2SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:12 AM   #3
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
It will be VERY loud. Too loud, soft, lumpy, pretty, or ugly are all opinions. Only you know what each of those means to you.

If you want a killer street car, ditch the LS3 conversion and get a mild to medium VVT cam. VVT is all about power under the curve, which is exactly what a heavy ass Camaro needs. There are SEVERAL VVT cam threads floating around. Just do a search in this section and you should have enough to keep you reading for a little while. If you still need more info, look for a shop that KNOWS VVT. Many reputable LS shops don't like VVT but that's mostly because they haven't' learned how to properly tune it.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:01 AM   #4
62nalide

Drives: 2013 SS
KEEP the VVT
62nalide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:26 AM   #5
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc ss View Post
Ok, here's what I was thinking.... Kooks 1 7/8 Long tubes, high flow cats, X-pipe to go along with the CIA and muffler delete I have already done. Would this combo be way to loud? What kind of HP would I gain? BTW I already have AFM tuned out...

Then.... I was wondering about a mild to medium cam and l99 to ls3 conversion. I don't take it to the track and I still want good street manners..

Thanks
Marc
I have 1 7/8 LT's, HF cats STOCK resonator, and a SOLO axel back (which is basically straight pipes with j pipes for drone, so essentially a muffler delete).

My setup is pretty loud, very loud outside the car, not all that loud in the car, can barely notice it under 2k rpm, after that it screams.

That being said, I think a resonator delete would be too loud for a DD. I think it needs either a resonator, or a set of conservative/tame mufflers.

Also, getting louder will make it more raspy too im sure
Old 05-29-2013, 01:09 PM   #6
Marc ss

Drives: Synergy green SS
So an X- pipe would take the place of the resonator? What is VVT?
Marc ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:19 PM   #7
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc ss View Post
So an X- pipe would take the place of the resonator? What is VVT?
Your going to want to put in a Magnaflow mid muffler which has a x pipe built into it or your going to want to get a conventional X pipe with 2 rear mounted mufflers of your choice.

VVT stands for Variable Valve Timing. It allows advances and retard in camshaft timing to give you the best low end torque AND max RPM horsepower. Your stock L99 has this function. Getting a VVT cam keeps this instead of deleting it altogether. Either way your going to want to get rid of the AFM and its weak lifters.