Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 06-28-2009, 07:51 PM   #1
scapcamaro

Drives: 2010 camaro
v6, does it come with posi?

does the v6 come with posi and is it the same as the v8?
sorry i found that the V6 manual come stock with posi. no on the auto

Last edited by scapcamaro; 06-28-2009 at 08:39 PM.
scapcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:20 PM   #2
Camarofan69
The Autoglass Guy

Drives: 1969 SS 396, 1969 SS , 2010 RS
mine has posi and its a auto
Camarofan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:28 PM   #3
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
Stabilitrak also will apply opposite brake if slippage is detected if on.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 05:50 AM   #4
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarofan69 View Post
mine has posi and its a auto
Automatics are an all open diffs... no posi...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 08:22 AM   #5
Camarofan69
The Autoglass Guy

then why is it if i power brake it both tires spin and leave a really nice set of black stripes? if it were a open dif only one tire would spin. am i wrong?
Old 07-03-2009, 08:46 AM   #6
Gentry78
HOOK'EM

Drives: 97 c1500/92 olds
Quote:
then why is it if i power brake it both tires spin and leave a really nice set of black stripes? if it were a open dif only one tire would spin. am i wrong?
only the manual v6 has LSD

but it is possible for both to spin in a open diff if its slippery enough
Gentry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 08:56 AM   #7
Camarofan69
The Autoglass Guy

well thats just wierd. it wasnt slippery at all. i have done it a few times just to prove to people it would do it and both times on different pavement with different conditions both tires broke loose. whats wierd is i have had many camaros with a posi rear end and my 2010 acts the same way as they did.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:58 AM   #8
PieNsky

Drives: Victory Red 1LS
Video?
PieNsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 09:00 AM   #9
Camarofan69
The Autoglass Guy

no video, but my wife and son were there if that helps. lol probly not huh? i can take pics of the stripes left on the road. there pretty impressive i thought.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:08 AM   #10
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
well thats just wierd. it wasnt slippery at all. i have done it a few times just to prove to people it would do it and both times on different pavement with different conditions both tires broke loose. whats wierd is i have had many camaros with a posi rear end and my 2010 acts the same way as they did.

It's not posi, it's limited slip ... you can't run true posi on the street, you need to have the outside wheel turn faster than the inside when making a turn. With posi both wheels turn at the same rate of speed.
SlingShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 09:43 AM   #11
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
It's not posi, it's limited slip ... you can't run true posi on the street, you need to have the outside wheel turn faster than the inside when making a turn. With posi both wheels turn at the same rate of speed.
Sorry.. but that is not the case... Posi is short for Positraction which is simply Chevy's name for their Limited Slip Differential:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limited_slip_differential

As Gentry78 mentioned it is possble to get both tires to spin but only when both tires have identical traction.... So if one tire is on a patch of ice and another is on nice dry pavement, then you just sit and spin the one tire on the ice...
Old 07-03-2009, 10:02 AM   #12
SlingShot

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
Sorry.. but that is not the case... Posi is short for Positraction which is simply Chevy's name for their Limited Slip Differential:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limited_slip_differential

As Gentry78 mentioned it is possble to get both tires to spin but only when both tires have identical traction.... So if one tire is on a patch of ice and another is on nice dry pavement, then you just sit and spin the one tire on the ice...

Read my statement again, you confirmed my statement that it isn't posi but limited slip ....there is a big difference between posi and limited slip and I think GM know the difference. Posi is only used for going in a straight line and long sweeping curves, does not work for city driving ....

The V6 you can get with a Locking rear end but it is not standard .... With a locking rear end, if it is auto lock the computer will control it switching back and forth between posi and limited slip.

Also go look at the post with the V6 rental video..... Watch the part in the parking lot, if it were posi both wheels would be smoking at the same time .... The spinning is transferring back and forth depending on which way the turn is .....

Last edited by SlingShot; 07-03-2009 at 10:27 AM.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:22 AM   #13
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Read my statement again, you confirmed my statement that it isn't posi but limited slip ....there is a big difference between posi and limited slip and I think GM know the difference. Posi is only used for going in a straight line and long sweeping curves, does not work for city driving ....

The V6 you can get with a Locking rear end but it is not standard .... With a locking rear end, if it is auto lock the computer will control it switching back and forth between posi and limited slip.

Also go look at the post with the V6 rental video..... Watch the part in the parking lot, if it were posi both wheels would be smoking at the same time .... The spinning is transferring back and forth depending on which way the turn is .....
You really don't have a clue... sorry... I don't have all day to try and educate you... Posi is GM's name for their Limited Slip Diff (LSD), just like Ford's is called Trac-Loc... From the link I gave you:

In the 1950s and 1960s many manufacturers began to apply brand names to their LSD units. While Packard pioneered the LSD under the brand name "Twin Traction" in 1956, the most famous of these was Chevrolet's "Positraction". Since then, Positraction (often shortened to "positrac" or merely "posi") has become a genericized trademark for LSDs.

The V6 auto is an simple open diff! It certainly is NOT a electronic contolled Locker! Posi = LSD!

BTW... I put plain old gear oil in my rear end... I did NOT add any friction modifier... if I had an LSD it would not like going aroud corners!

Also the rear end of a V6 auto is a different unit: (from http://www.popularmechanics.com/blog...s/4279655.html)

All Camaros use an 8.5-in. rear differential except the V6 automatic cars. They get a smaller, lighter unit.

Dont' believe me open the cover and take a picture for us...
Old 07-03-2009, 11:35 AM   #14
SlingShot

Dude... You just don't get it.... There is a limited slip and a locker rear end .... Two basic types that are commonly used .... The locker comes in two types, Auto and Manual. The SS comes standard with the Auto Locker, cars such as NASCAR use manual lockers. Another example is with older 4x4's you had to get out and lock the hubs on the front end, those were manual lockers. The name posi was given by gearhead street racers on Woodward Avenue ......They came up with the name because it was the closest thing they had to a TRUE POSI rear end which is when both wheels turn at the same rate constantly .... You can call it what ever name you want, but technically it is still limited slip .....Just because you call it something doesn't make it so .... It's like comparing Kleenex Tissues and Puff tissues ... they are both actually tissues but a branded name of Kleenex is recognized as a tissue ....

Last edited by SlingShot; 07-03-2009 at 12:37 PM.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:30 PM   #15
Adam
You Said Member

Drives: 2010 SIM 2LT Auto RS
you are correct but no one here is talking about loltrue 'positrac', they are just talking about options for the v6, so stay on topic.

I thought I had read that the 2LTs got LSD, is that not correct?
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 12:40 PM   #16
SlingShot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
you are correct but no one here is talking about loltrue 'positrac', they are just talking about options for the v6, so stay on topic.

I thought I had read that the 2LTs got LSD, is that not correct?

Correct... Locker is an option, Limited Slip is standard ....
Old 07-03-2009, 12:49 PM   #17
Xanthos
Almost-Original Postwhore

Drives: Stick
Quote:
I don't have any idea where you got this info, but it is incorrect. For the V6, the manual comes with a LSD, the auto does not, and there is no other option available. Both the auto and the manual V8 come with an LSD, also with no upgrade option available.
- X
Old 07-03-2009, 12:55 PM   #18
TheClassicCarKid

Drives: V45
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanthosV6 View Post
I don't have any idea where you got this info, but it is incorrect. For the V6, the manual comes with a LSD, the auto does not, and there is no other option available. Both the auto and the manual V8 come with an LSD, also with no upgrade option available.
- X
TheClassicCarKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 01:10 PM   #19
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
WRONG AGAIN... No company puts a LOCKER in a car! Lockers are optional in TRUCKS, including my HUMMER...
Old 07-03-2009, 01:11 PM   #20
SlingShot

Straight from Chevy .... Look at the bottom line... Locking Rear available on V6 standard on V8

Name:  camaro specs.jpg
Views: 1736
Size:  102.7 KB
Old 07-03-2009, 01:12 PM   #21
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XanthosV6 View Post
- X
Exactly!!!

I was a bit surprised to find the V6 auto does have a smaller rear end...
Old 07-03-2009, 01:13 PM   #22
SlingShot

Yawn ....I guess Chevy's locking rear is actually something else ?
Old 07-03-2009, 01:18 PM   #23
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Straight from Chevy .... Look at the bottom line... Locking Rear available on V6 standard on V8

Attachment 36109
I seriously doubt it's a locking rear end... if you've ever driven one you would know that people would be complain.... it is most like an over sight on group that type up the web page..

also not it says MANUAL TRANSMISSION... no mention of automatic
Old 07-03-2009, 01:20 PM   #24
SlingShot

Ah now I see it... Chevy don't know what they are talking about either ... LOL.... You Da Man !!!
Old 07-03-2009, 01:22 PM   #25
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Ah now I see it... Chevy don't know what they are talking about either ... LOL.... You Da Man !!!
Go take the cover off your V6 automatic so we can see what you are talking about....

as for the the webpage and that kind of info... was most likely outsourced to some foreign company....

BTW...the Woodward story was Classic! LOL