Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Fabberge
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 05-30-2013, 05:00 PM   #1
IPT

Drives: '02 Trailblazer, '12 Camaro 2SS/RS
Gears vs supercharger pros and cons

So, I am piecing this all together and I started thinking about the pros and cons of gears vs supercharging. Car is mostly for street fun and maybe some parking lot autocross stuff. Still, I am interested in hearing thoughts for all uses, and just the differences between the two, pros and cons of each. Here is what (I think) I know. 2SS M6.
Gears: Cheaper (by far), gets to power (higher RPMS) faster vs stock, declines in MPG, requires no mods to the motor, will drop top end speed. Could probably skip 1st gear for "normal" daily driving.
Supercharger: more expensive, should not affect MPG (except if your foot is in it more often) requires a tune, requires motor mods , torque increase across most of the RPM range, risk (low if done right) with stock bottom end.
So am I missing anything major? Anyone do one and then the other? Curious to hear what others experiences are with either one or both of these mods – especially if done one at a time
IPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:38 PM   #2
Apex Chase

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
MPG and top end speed loss with rear end gears are not as pronounced in modern six-speed cars as they were in 3 and 4 speed cars back in the day. Depending on the ratio and how you use your car, something like a 1-3 MPG loss is pretty typical. We have actually had a few customers report an increase in fuel economy but they only used their cars for in-town weekend cruising.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:44 PM   #3
Mchlgrrsn
Stroked and blown

Drives: 2010 LS3 2SS
I had 4.10's for a while ... Totally changed the attitude of the car, for not a whole lot of money .. I added a supercharger and the gears had to go because they didn't play nice .. Dropped down to 3.76's. supercharger made the car FAST where gears made it QUICKER. I know that sounds weird buts that's the best way to explain it.
LME 416 LS3 shortblock/Callies Compstar 4340 4"crank/Callies 6.125 H beams rods/Wiesco 4.07 forged pistons/Cam Motion custom LS1/LME ported heads /maggie TVS2300/I West 8rib 10%OD /3.2 pulley/OD cog drive/JRE tensioner/ID850 /ADM dual fuel/Kooks LT 1 7/8/magna flow2.5 /cat delete/Roto Fab CAI /MGW short throw /SPEC super twin clutch/G Force built trans,carbon syncro rear shaft upgrade /DSS 9"single CF DS /Strange 3.70/31 spline trutrac/MT DR's/earls oil cooler /tuned KHC
Mchlgrrsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:52 PM   #4
Jayrcr3

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS
Comparing the two is like comparing cherries and pumpkins. If you want a great seat of the pants mod for relatively cheap, the gears are the way to go. If you're looking for brute force and have the cash, go with the blower. Also, you will probably wish you hadn't put gears in it if you decide on a blower later on.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
American Racing 1 7/8" Headers and Hi-Flow Cats, CAI cold air intake, Flowmaster AT exhaust, Vengeance Racing Stage 2 cam, VMax ported throttle body, TEA valve springs and titanium retainers, Trick Flow hardened pushrods, 180* T-stat, Comp Trunion kit, ZL1 Fuel Pump, ADM Fuel Pump Control Module, 20% window tint, Whipple Supercharger. Tuned by Mike Norris Motorsports. 656rwhp/584rwtq @10 PSI.
Jayrcr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:11 PM   #5
Mchlgrrsn
Stroked and blown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrcr3 View Post
Comparing the two is like comparing cherries and pumpkins. If you want a great seat of the pants mod for relatively cheap, the gears are the way to go. If you're looking for brute force and have the cash, go with the blower. Also, you will probably wish you hadn't put gears in it if you decide on a blower later on.

Lol .. When I said the gears had to go ... They were in pieces ....
LME 416 LS3 shortblock/Callies Compstar 4340 4"crank/Callies 6.125 H beams rods/Wiesco 4.07 forged pistons/Cam Motion custom LS1/LME ported heads /maggie TVS2300/I West 8rib 10%OD /3.2 pulley/OD cog drive/JRE tensioner/ID850 /ADM dual fuel/Kooks LT 1 7/8/magna flow2.5 /cat delete/Roto Fab CAI /MGW short throw /SPEC super twin clutch/G Force built trans,carbon syncro rear shaft upgrade /DSS 9"single CF DS /Strange 3.70/31 spline trutrac/MT DR's/earls oil cooler /tuned KHC
Old 05-30-2013, 06:22 PM   #6
BubbaSS
WHAT RED LIGHT?!

Drives: 2011 Black Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Gears: requires speedometer calibration, will lose traction easier, helps to reduce low rpm bucking
2011 2SS/RS M6 BLACK - VARARAM NO TUNE INTAKE, BBK 95MM TB-INTAKE MANIFOLD PORTED TO MATCH, DOUG THORLEY LT'S, CATLESS, X-PIPE, 25" STAINLESS WORKS RETRO CHAMBERED MUFFLERS, CUSTOM 2.5" MANDREL BENT EXHAUST, RICHMOND 4.10 GEARS, CUSTOM CAM (231/242 @ 114LSA) & DYNO TUNED BY TORQ (WWW.GETTORQ.COM), 20% CERAMIC TINTS, EIBACH PROKIT SPRINGS 1" DROP, HAWK PERFORMANCE CERAMIC BRAKES, NITTO INVO TIRES, HYDROCARBON TAIL LIGHT AND FOG LIGHT BEZELS BY EMBLEMPROS, METRA DASH KIT, JVC KW-AV71BT, PHOENIX GOLD iAMP GM1, PASSPORT QI45 - MUSTANG DYNO RESULTS: 440 RWHP 400 RWTQ
BubbaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:40 PM   #7
Jayrcr3

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchlgrrsn View Post
Lol .. When I said the gears had to go ... They were in pieces ....
I was thinking more about the traction being even worse with the blower and gears together. Mine factory drive train has managed to survive with 650 to the wheels, but I haven't bolted up a set of DR's and went to the strip...... Yet.

American Racing 1 7/8" Headers and Hi-Flow Cats, CAI cold air intake, Flowmaster AT exhaust, Vengeance Racing Stage 2 cam, VMax ported throttle body, TEA valve springs and titanium retainers, Trick Flow hardened pushrods, 180* T-stat, Comp Trunion kit, ZL1 Fuel Pump, ADM Fuel Pump Control Module, 20% window tint, Whipple Supercharger. Tuned by Mike Norris Motorsports. 656rwhp/584rwtq @10 PSI.
Jayrcr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:47 PM   #8
IPT

thanks for the input thus far. Yeah, blower and gears is not the plan. I planned on doing the FI. However, the fuel up here in AK is crap (90 octane) so I'll likely need meth (and I know nothing about that setup at all). When I started adding up the costs of the two there ends up being a significant difference. Then at the same time I am thinking the improvements (sprint speed, torque) might be fairly close as far as "seat of the pants" feeling goes(?). Decisions, decisions.... keep the thoughts and input coming. Always nice to hear from people who have travelled the road already.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:53 PM   #9
SPCBA
Blake

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
mostly street with some autocross? neither do suspension
Old 05-30-2013, 06:57 PM   #10
ToddB

Drives: 2011 2SS Convertible Supercharged
If you can afford it supercharge it. I want to drive mine all the time. It is the best mod you can do for your camaro. Makes it feel like your on a crotch rocket.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:13 PM   #11
Mchlgrrsn
Stroked and blown

Quote:
I was thinking more about the traction being even worse with the blower and gears together. Mine factory drive train has managed to survive with 650 to the wheels, but I haven't bolted up a set of DR's and went to the strip...... Yet.

Hooked em and shredded them. 3d gear power shift. Had to listen to my tuner "I told you this was going to happen". "I told you we should of switched ". Aftermarket gears don't hold up well under that much torque and it really wasn't a surprise at all, more like wishful thinking. Ended up going bulletproof .... DSS
Old 05-30-2013, 07:34 PM   #12
FosterSS
Guardians Of The Night

Drives: Chevy
What about gears on a cammed motor....3.91s??? yes?
Old 05-30-2013, 07:38 PM   #13
Mchlgrrsn
Stroked and blown

Quote:
Originally Posted by FosterSS View Post
What about gears on a cammed motor....3.91s??? yes?
I had 4.10's on with the following mods .. Headers, cam, ported heads .. Don't remember the dyno numbers 480 ish I think with matching torque. Ran like a champ, no issues.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:47 PM   #14
FosterSS
Guardians Of The Night

Drives: Chevy
Quote:
I had 4.10's on with the following mods .. Headers, cam, ported heads .. Don't remember the dyno numbers 480 ish I think with matching torque. Ran like a champ, no issues.
sweeeet...going to get me some when i get my heads done.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:24 PM   #15
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
GM 3.91's are dirt cheap and will hold up to the powa.
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:36 PM   #16
Bornluckee13
I fly

Drives: 2010 2SS, Stick, Cyber Gray
Running GM 3.91's from lashways' diff swap program and love them! Completely changed the car! For $900ish it was a great mod. Still want to go FI though.
There are only two options in life. Fight or flight. Most people run. Almost all people run. But not us. The difference between us and everyone else is that we run towards the gunfire. And that makes all the difference.
Bornluckee13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:35 AM   #17
IPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
mostly street with some autocross? neither do suspension
Pedders pace car package with PFadt trail arms and toe rods going in this week .

I can afford FI, the question is do I want too? It'll surely exceed $10K or more (I'll need meth and I can't do the job, so labor too!). That's a lotta cash for a car on the road 4-5 months a year.

I may still stick to my original plan to go with FI. I'm just entertaining the idea of gears. Seems I could get almost as much "fun" from them at a lot lower cost. Though the idea of hearing boost kick in would be super cool! Then again I could buy an entirely different toy, or other large ticket item with the $8K or so I'd save if I did gears instead. Plus I'd still have some neck snapping fun.

Decisions, decisions .... Well for this year I am sticking with the suspension mods. Planning ahead for next year!

For gears vs FI - is there a particular place one shines over the other? Like off the line, or jumping on it at a roll? I've had gears and I know the power is up rolling at higher RPMS for any given moment but I have not had the experience of FI.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:50 AM   #18
ToddB

A supercharger like a whipple will do more than gears can do at any of those things. No meth needed. I am at near 600 rwhp Plus it is a easy install.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:21 AM   #19
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddB View Post
A supercharger like a whipple will do more than gears can do at any of those things. No meth needed. I am at near 600 rwhp Plus it is a easy install.
I agree with this. A PD supercharger like the Whipple, TVS 2300 and Lyshom are going to give you way more kick in the pants off idle torque than gears ever could. The price wont be 10K either. More like 8K installed even with upgraded ZL1 pump, ADM FPCM, upgraded injectors and custom tuning. Of course like someone else said its not really compairable. The SC cost is around 8K and the gears are around 1,400. One actually makes the car faster while the other mostly just makes it feel faster.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:46 AM   #20
Mchlgrrsn
Stroked and blown

Quote:
Originally Posted by VADER SS L99 View Post
I agree with this. A PD supercharger like the Whipple, TVS 2300 and Lyshom are going to give you way more kick in the pants off idle torque than gears ever could. The price wont be 10K either. More like 8K installed even with upgraded ZL1 pump, ADM FPCM, upgraded injectors and custom tuning. Of course like someone else said its not really compairable. The SC cost is around 8K and the gears are around 1,400. One actually makes the car faster while the other mostly just makes it feel faster.
That there sums it up nicely. It's gonna be a money decision. Gears don't add hp and torque, they just make the car feel faster.. Supercharger adds 100 plus hp and torque, actually making your car faster. Adding a supercharger can put some stress on other parts of your car , clutch and axles. Enjoy. Both are fine choices.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:36 PM   #21
IPT

Sounds like FI for the win. So, even with only 90 octane available no Meth is needed? Yes, our gas up here sucks.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:17 PM   #22
ToddB

Usually u need 91 at least. But message Ted he may be able to tune for 90.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:18 PM   #23
ToddB

Or just add some Torco. I use it for safety all the time.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:16 AM   #24
Snidely Whiplash
Protected by Sig Sauer

Drives: '14 2SS bright yellow LS3 w/sunroof
Quote:

More unskilled driver break drivetrain parts on the burnout than the launch. You gotta know when to pull your foot off the gas pedal...just before the burnout heated tires hook - THAT'S when you break driveline parts.

I've scattered many an axle and 12 bolt rear, then I went 9" Ford with a nodular center, braced housing, and good 31 spline axles. That was on a car with 14X32 slicks.
1967 Chevelle - Vette L88 engine (factory 12.5:1 comp) and 2:54 Muncie bought from insurance company - 4.11 gears w/10" slicks - 11.80 passes (sold)
1969 SS/RS 350 Camaro w/Pace Car Paint (sold)
1971 GTO - stock 400 motor w/hood tach - metallic blue (sold)
1969 AMX - mild 355 Chevy powered w/11.80 passes (sold)
1962 Chevy II - pump gas street legal Chevy 355 with 11.40 passes - w/175 horse squeeze kit 9.72 passes (sold)
1977 Harley FLH
2002 Road King Classic
2014 2SS Camaro - Headers and tune soon to come at LG Motorsports
Snidely Whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:24 AM   #25
Snidely Whiplash
Protected by Sig Sauer

Drives: '14 2SS bright yellow LS3 w/sunroof
Quote:
Hooked em and shredded them. 3d gear power shift. Had to listen to my tuner "I told you this was going to happen". "I told you we should of switched ". Aftermarket gears don't hold up well under that much torque and it really wasn't a surprise at all, more like wishful thinking. Ended up going bulletproof .... DSS
Drag race gears are actually a soft metal compared to hardened street gears. An 800 HP car with 14" slicks will shatter hardened stock gears. Drag gears 'flex" due to being a softer metal and therefore, do not shatter. The downside is drag gears will need to be replaced often. It's the price you pay for power and traction at the drags.
1967 Chevelle - Vette L88 engine (factory 12.5:1 comp) and 2:54 Muncie bought from insurance company - 4.11 gears w/10" slicks - 11.80 passes (sold)
1969 SS/RS 350 Camaro w/Pace Car Paint (sold)
1971 GTO - stock 400 motor w/hood tach - metallic blue (sold)
1969 AMX - mild 355 Chevy powered w/11.80 passes (sold)
1962 Chevy II - pump gas street legal Chevy 355 with 11.40 passes - w/175 horse squeeze kit 9.72 passes (sold)
1977 Harley FLH
2002 Road King Classic
2014 2SS Camaro - Headers and tune soon to come at LG Motorsports
Snidely Whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote