Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

B&M
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons For all LFX related parts

Old 05-30-2013, 06:32 PM   #1
Buschman

Drives: 2013 1LT VR RS
In the market for an exhaust

Just wanted to get input on what everyone is using. Going to pick up an exhaust system in a week or so, and would like to hear opinions on my options. It seems that the MRT 2 system is the camaro5 favorite, but is anyone running something else?

Buschman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:25 PM   #2
ReoRockStar

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT 45th AE
I have v1 and I love it!!

~{Eat,Sleep,Drive}~
Old 06-01-2013, 08:38 PM   #3
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013

Drives: 2012 Camaro LS "Hot Blown Six"
once you go Solo, you will never go to anything else...

2012 LS M6,ZL1Brakes, OEM Foglights (BCM Flashed for Fogs),4 Pack Guages, Factory Reproduction Wheels,Nitto NT05 tires 275/315 stagger, Leather OEM Steering Wheel,Hurst Shifter, GM Hurst Leather Shifter knob,OEM Leather Console top,Carbon Fiber Stripe Package,Emblems with Carbon overlays, ZL1 Grill,LSR Stage 4 susp,1LE Strut Brace, SOLO Cats and Exhaust, 1LE Struts/shocks, IPF Supercharger-Redline Motorsports, FSP Tuning
sycraft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:56 PM   #4
AutoAgenda

Drives: 69 Camaro, 02 Escalade, 67 Eleanor
MRT V1.0 or V2.0 can't go wrong! We have a thread in the sponsorship section with videos and reviews is interested.
AutoAgenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:44 AM   #5
Buschman

Thanks for the comments guys. I'm looking at the K&N Typhoon intake and the Dynomax VT exhaust. My wife still isn't all that excited (with me not the car) that I brought home a new 2013 RS Camaro 10 days ago, so she says no more than $500-600 for upgrades. I hear that marriage is about compromises, so I'll compromise and listen this time.
I can get the K&N and Dynomax for $620, if anyone else has suggestions in that price range I would like to hear them. Also if anyone is running this setup on an LFX I would like to know how is sounds and performs.
Off topic, but is there any improvement by adding a throttle body spacer with an intake and exhaust?
Thanks!

Last edited by Buschman; 06-02-2013 at 06:10 AM.
Old 06-02-2013, 03:25 PM   #6
TwentyTen2SSRS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buschman View Post
Thanks for the comments guys. I'm looking at the K&N Typhoon intake and the Dynomax VT exhaust. My wife still isn't all that excited (with me not the car) that I brought home a new 2013 RS Camaro 10 days ago, so she says no more than $500-600 for upgrades. I hear that marriage is about compromises, so I'll compromise and listen this time.
I can get the K&N and Dynomax for $620, if anyone else has suggestions in that price range I would like to hear them. Also if anyone is running this setup on an LFX I would like to know how is sounds and performs.
Off topic, but is there any improvement by adding a throttle body spacer with an intake and exhaust?
Thanks!
I'm going mrt v2. I wouldn't get K&N CAI personally...

Go for Cold Air Inductions. More expensive but by far the strongest performer.. You don't want to buy one then upgrade etc. great sound amazing aesthetics and most real world rear wheel hp gains.
Cold Air Inductions CAI • Flowmaster American Thunder Cat Back • matte black hood, trunk and roof wrap • matte white hood spears and rear javelin stripe outlined in yellow pinstriping • Anvil Spoiler • Side Camaro emblem delete • Gloss black rear bowtie • heritage grill • SLP front splitter
TwentyTen2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 04:12 PM   #7
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013BlackLS View Post
I'm going mrt v2. I wouldn't get K&N CAI personally...

Go for Cold Air Inductions. More expensive but by far the strongest performer.. You don't want to buy one then upgrade etc. great sound amazing aesthetics and most real world rear wheel hp gains.
The MRT v2 and CAI Inc intake is our most popular V6 package.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:35 PM   #8
Buschman

Trust me in the ideal situation I would go MRT 2.0 and CAI, but she won't budge on the budget. Don't get me wrong $1000 to $1100 would be easy for me for the sound and performance gains I would get. Also the fact that both are Michigan companies is a big plus for me, but she says $500-600 for both. Thats what I have to work with.

Old 06-02-2013, 05:37 PM   #9
turboguy327

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro
If you don't get the best your wasting money. And getting a cheap exhaust for a v6 camaro will make you throw the cheap exhaust away and buy the good one anyway. And it will sound like crap with anything but a select few good ones.
turboguy327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:45 PM   #10
Buschman

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboguy327 View Post
If you don't get the best your wasting money. And getting a cheap exhaust for a v6 camaro will make you throw the cheap exhaust away and buy the good one anyway. And it will sound like crap with anything but a select few good ones.
So your saying don't do anything then. I know what the best upgrades are, I am looking for something less. How disappointed am I going to be if I go with the mid grade stuff?
Or do you have an opinion on what I can do that will be close to the budget?

Old 06-02-2013, 07:43 PM   #11
Toms2010

Drives: 2010 2LT
Cheap is relative. Resonated X-pipe and two round mufflers came to 200.00.
My local shop replaced the 2.25" piping with 2.5" piping and did install for another 185.00.

Very happy with my sound. Not much louder than stock at idle, but great gurgle when getting on it.

Edit: Picked up my Vararam cai for 220.00 used. Meets your budget of 620.00.
Vararam CAI - Modern Muscle Ported Throttle Body - Vmax Black Iceolator - Custom Exhaust - Magnaflow Res X 11386 - 2.5" Pipe from X on Back - Magnaflow Round Mufflers 10416 - Lime Green Hood Spears - Lime Green Gill Stripes - SJM AutoProd Sequential Turn Signals - SJM AutoProd Always On DRL Fog Lights

Last edited by Toms2010; 06-02-2013 at 08:27 PM.
Toms2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:19 PM   #12
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 2013 2LT RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
The MRT v2 and CAI Inc intake is our most popular V6 package.

+1
Performance Upgrades: CAI Intake, VMAX Ported TB, RX Catch Can, ZL1 Dual mode NPP Exhaust, 1LE Strut Brace, SS Brembo Brakes w/ Hawk HPS Pads & Goodridge brake lines, DOT4 Motul, 1LE Suspension Upgrade, 1" Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs, Vitesse Controller.
Exterior Upgrades: Ceramic Tint 30%, Axis Allies rims 20x9/20x10, Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperCar G:2 Tries 285/305, GM Front Splitter, Oracle Lighted Bowtie, rk sport spoiler, ZL1 Upper Grill & Side Rockers.
Audio Upgrades: Image Dynamics 10" Subwoofer w/custom leather box, ID 5 Channel Amp, Audio Control LC 6, Morel 6.5" Coax Speakers
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:40 PM   #13
skibik

Drives: bbbbbb
Unfortunately this is outside your allowed budget but had to throw it on here anyway. I bought a Injen CAI short ram from a dealer on the internet for Under $300 plus free shipping and with a code for spending over $250 you can save another $20 for a total of $266 and with MRT V2.0 from anyone on here for usually $549 for just over $800 but that exceeds allowed budget. I love my set-up and wouldn't change it for the world. Here is the link for the CAI I mentioned. http://store.newlevelmotorsports.com/pf7012.html

Check out the sponsors classified marketplace on here they have some CAI/axle back combo deals and you may be able to find what you are looking for at a better price then buying each separately.

Dean.
skibik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:13 AM   #14
Jason@JacFab
Mad Scientist

Drives: 2014 1LT Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
You could always shop around for a used intake... If you bide your time, I've seen used CAI brand intakes for $225-250, which I think is around the same price as a new K&N? Not too familiar with the dynomax VT, but I have the Dynomax #39494 axle back on my SS, and it was not worth the money, very little change in sound/volume. Maybe you should just rat hole some $$ and buy what you really want?

Specializing in attractive "no drill" front license plate brackets for the 2010+ Camaro Check out our new website! www.jacfab.com
2010 Camaro 1SS RJT w/ SIM Stripes; M6. 12.535 @ 112.33mph SOLD!
2014 Camaro 1LT RRM; A6.JacFab No-Drill front license plate bracket... More to come...
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:53 AM   #15
turboguy327

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro
I have a rotofab ill sell for a good price. It's white and dry filter.

You don't want a cheap exhaust because the v6 sounds like complete garbage without a muffler. And the cheaper ones don't alter the tones like a MRT does so its just quiet garbage noises instead of sounding good. That's why MRT is so popular.

Last edited by turboguy327; 06-03-2013 at 01:49 PM.
turboguy327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:01 PM   #16
HydroFlame
2013 LT2/ RS

Drives: 2013 1LT/RS
Do people just do the mrt and cai or do people do anything axle forward?!? Or is it not necessary
HydroFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:13 PM   #17
The Black Knight
2013 Black LFX

Drives: 2013 Camaro V6
I'm rocking a set of these: http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/?page_id=11060

Love the tone and perfect volume. When you get on it, the car comes alive. Normal driving, a very low howl. Even at full throttle they won't over power my stereo, now when I was running just straight pipes, it would. Sounded real raspy almost import carish. Which, lasted all of two days and I took it over to a local muffler shop and had the Flowmasters put on.

sound is comparable to a uncorked 350Z or 370Z but with a deeper exhaust note. Very performance sounding, without the ricey rasp.

Mods: Flowmaster Series 10's axle back, Black ZL1 20X9 wheels(from Factory Reproductions), K&N Typhoon cold air intake, 20% window tint(all sides & back)
The Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:36 AM   #18
Jason@JacFab
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
I'm rocking a set of these: http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/?page_id=11060

Love the tone and perfect volume. When you get on it, the car comes alive. Normal driving, a very low howl. Even at full throttle they won't over power my stereo, now when I was running just straight pipes, it would. Sounded real raspy almost import carish. Which, lasted all of two days and I took it over to a local muffler shop and had the Flowmasters put on.

sound is comparable to a uncorked 350Z or 370Z but with a deeper exhaust note. Very performance sounding, without the ricey rasp.
Videos??

Specializing in attractive "no drill" front license plate brackets for the 2010+ Camaro Check out our new website! www.jacfab.com
2014 Camaro 1LT RRM; A6.JacFab No-Drill front license plate bracket... More to come...
Old 06-04-2013, 09:54 AM   #19
Buschman

Ok here is the deal, I talked to local guy again. Told him I was going to pass up the upgrade because this form said I most likely would not be happy with the outcome. He came back with this deal. Dynomax axle back 39493, K&N Typhoon 69-4523TP and Airaid 200-630-1 throttle body spacer for $600 out the door installed.
Knowing that anything over $600 is non-negotiable, not because I don't have the cash but because the wife says NO. Do you guys think I am going to be at all satisfied with the setup? Or should I just leave it stock?
I have listened to the sound clips for the Dynomax and they don't sound that bad, not MRT but not bad.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:46 PM   #20
Jason@JacFab
Mad Scientist

Tell him to keep the spacer, and knock $100 off the price.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:19 PM   #21
Buschman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacnJsn95 View Post
Tell him to keep the spacer, and knock $100 off the price.
So there is no benefit using the throttle body spacer?

Old 06-04-2013, 06:04 PM   #22
pmandeep

Drives: 2013 VR 2LT/RS
I am sorry for asking this. I may have missed this on reading it, but is this only time you are allowed to put a mod in your Camaro and the budget is set to 500-600? or is it that whatever mod you end up getting right now should cost no more then 600 and then maybe couple months later you can do another mod?

The reason I ask this is because if it is as such like I mentioned in the second case, then just break up your performance mod and just get the CAI Intake for now and couple months from now on get the exhaust. That way you will keep under budget and can still get the best. Plus you will enjoy it more which is the real deal here.

I mean the way it sounds is you are settling in for the cheap stuff even after knowing the fact and the opinions of the fellow members here, that you won't like the setup a tad bit just because you have to or want to get it done in one go. I mean if it is doable then try to split the installs in two save one for later and get one now and the vendors on here have a decent prize to get you the best items for our cars.

Just my 2cents. Again please don't hold me to it, by any means if you think you will like and enjoy the sound of Dynomax VT along with the intake that you are getting then surely go for it. Otherwise see if you can do two separate installs over course of couple months.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:19 PM   #23
skibik

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroFlame View Post
Do people just do the mrt and cai or do people do anything axle forward?!? Or is it not necessary
I have added Solo's high flow cats to mine but I have not done anything between the cats and the axle backs myself.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:27 PM   #24
skibik

I have one more suggestion and this will be in your budget but first question is, do you like and want the MRT exhaust? Here is my suggestion is get the exhaust you want, MRT is at around the $550 mark or whatever the axle back you want and with the extra $50 just add a K&N air filter to the stock box. I say this because I put on my MRT V2.0 exhaust first and a few weeks later I added the Injen CAI and didn't really notice by the butt dyno any real performance gains. The thing I did seem to notice was my average MPG went up a little but think I could have done that with just the K&N filter. I can say one thing is I could easily give up my CAI but I will never give up my V2's!!! I love the way it sounds way too much to do that. Hope you get it figured out, good luck!

Dean.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:09 PM   #25
Buschman

Well she's pissed at me anyways and you guys make it hard to argue. Just going to tell her, I didn't spend the money on a nice car to buy junk. Going with the CAI and MRT 2.0. Thanks guys.