Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JUICEDMOTORSPORTS
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls Report, discuss and diagnose any issues and problems with your Camaro, including warranty discussions.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:37 PM   #1
snymat68

Drives: '13 1LS M6, '72 VW Beetle M4 Resto.
2013 A/C Issues

It's been getting pretty warm around here the past couple of weeks (high 80's). About a week and a half ago, I took her to the dealer because the A/C wasn't getting very cold. After reading several threads on here about such issues with some new Camaros I figured they'd tell me it was just low on refrigerant, fix it, and I'd be good to go. Well they had it for a day, said the refrigerant was at the correct pressure, the compressor was fine, and that the recirculation system was working correctly. They also said they measured the a/c temp at the center dash vent, while driving, and it was about 40F (the day they has it, the outside temp never got above 60). I though, OK, maybe it's just me and decided to keep driving it to see if it did it any more.

I decided to use my multimeter with thermocouple attachment to keep track of it myself. What I've discovered, after several days of monitoring, is there is indeed an issue. I measured at the center vent, max cold, recirc. on, blowing out dash vents only. Here are the results after a few days:

Driving or Standing / Outside Temp / AC Temp

S / 46 / 44
D / 43 / 43
S / 54 / 46
D / 50 / 44
D / 80 / 51
D / 86 / 70*
D / 87 / 72*

While taking the measurements with the asterisks (*) I found that, every couple of minutes, the A/C temp would climb from a steady 70ish to near 80. It would remain warm for no more than a few seconds and then begin blowing "cold" again and fall, slowly, back down to 70ish.

I called the dealer back today and talked to the head of service and gave him all this info. I'm taking it back on Wednesday for them to take another look at it. He said he'd have a different tech go over it this time. Does anyone have any insight on any of this? Is there anything I should suggest/demand they check/replace/refill/reprogram? Thanks!
snymat68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:26 AM   #2
AmericanMuscleCars
Teenage Dream Camaro

Drives: A Visually Stunning Camaro
Makes it feel as if it is a refreshing breeze... I don't know. Could be some sort of thing like that.
AmericanMuscleCars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:27 AM   #3
bradshaw

Drives: 2010 LS3 2SS M6
Check this tread:http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159478
bradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:36 AM   #4
bradshaw

Drives: 2010 LS3 2SS M6
You definitely have a problem, your compressor is cycling too much, I had the same problem. I added just a little refrigerant and mine now works much better. But from what I have read these cars have very poor a/c systems.
bradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:40 AM   #5
DuskSS
Bayou City Muscle Cars

Drives: 2013 2SS Dusk Edition
Mine is barely cold at all.
takes forever to cool down on my 4 month old 13..
the last 2 rental cars I had both kicked the crap out of mine in the AC department.

guess mine needs to go in as well.
510.7rwhp 477fpt
Oracle Lighting throughout
DuskSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:46 AM   #6
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by snymat68 View Post
It's been getting pretty warm around here the past couple of weeks (high 80's). About a week and a half ago, I took her to the dealer because the A/C wasn't getting very cold. After reading several threads on here about such issues with some new Camaros I figured they'd tell me it was just low on refrigerant, fix it, and I'd be good to go. Well they had it for a day, said the refrigerant was at the correct pressure, the compressor was fine, and that the recirculation system was working correctly. They also said they measured the a/c temp at the center dash vent, while driving, and it was about 40F (the day they has it, the outside temp never got above 60). I though, OK, maybe it's just me and decided to keep driving it to see if it did it any more.

I decided to use my multimeter with thermocouple attachment to keep track of it myself. What I've discovered, after several days of monitoring, is there is indeed an issue. I measured at the center vent, max cold, recirc. on, blowing out dash vents only. Here are the results after a few days:

Driving or Standing / Outside Temp / AC Temp

S / 46 / 44
D / 43 / 43
S / 54 / 46
D / 50 / 44
D / 80 / 51
D / 86 / 70*
D / 87 / 72*

While taking the measurements with the asterisks (*) I found that, every couple of minutes, the A/C temp would climb from a steady 70ish to near 80. It would remain warm for no more than a few seconds and then begin blowing "cold" again and fall, slowly, back down to 70ish.

I called the dealer back today and talked to the head of service and gave him all this info. I'm taking it back on Wednesday for them to take another look at it. He said he'd have a different tech go over it this time. Does anyone have any insight on any of this? Is there anything I should suggest/demand they check/replace/refill/reprogram? Thanks!
Hello snymat68,

Sorry to learn of your A/C issues. Good to hear that you are in communication with dealer. Please do keep me informed on the progress if you don't mind. Also, could you please private message me your VIN and current mileage? I will then see what information I can provide. Here to help.

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:31 AM   #7
snymat68

PM sent!
Old 05-31-2013, 12:19 PM   #8
MrBowTi3

Drives: 2013 1SS Victory Red Camaro
Great now I'm going to be self conscious about my a/c I try not to drive when it's scorching outside (probably the penny pincher in me) but I will be checking and making a note for my next dealer trip guess I'll get a thermometer

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Old 05-31-2013, 12:44 PM   #9
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskSS View Post
Mine is barely cold at all.
takes forever to cool down on my 4 month old 13..
the last 2 rental cars I had both kicked the crap out of mine in the AC department.

guess mine needs to go in as well.

It may be a good idea to have your system looked at as well DuskSS. If you would like some assistance doing so, I am here to help.

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 05-31-2013, 04:24 PM   #10
sodapop

Drives: 2011 2SS
The air in these cars suck period. Took mine in last year and was told tsb was done and it's working. They said to leave it on re-circ. Bull!!!! I'm not a ford guy but their ac puts ours to shame.
sodapop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:31 PM   #11
SNK

Drives: 2010 2LT...Black
I have a 2010 and the AC has never been very cold. Luckily here in MD it isn't a big deal until this time of year where it's scorching hot! It was 92 degrees today and the AC was just "chilled". My dads 2002 jeep wrangler has the coldest AC I have ever felt.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:05 AM   #12
Sftshldr
Beast Rider

Drives: 2013 Blk/Blk 1SS Auto
On my 98 Mercury Grand Marquis I turn the AC on and outside air to cool the airways for a few minutes then turn to recirculate. On my Camaro I just leave it on recirculate, but here in Alabama when the car has been sitting all day outside at work in 90 degree plus sunshine/bluesky, even with a front window sunshield it takes 2 to 3 times longer to cool down than my other car ... hmmm the mercury is silver with no window tint, Camaro blk/blk with Ceramic 35% tint and sunshield. For all the differences though I would believe my 2013 Chevy should beat my 1998 Mercury in the cooling department, but that ... is ... not ... happening. I blasted the AC in the post buy poll sent out to me as well as excessive amount of "technogarbage" in the media center and location of the usb port in the center console. Come on! A horizontal mount for a thumb drive in a storage area? What old fart (and I am one) thought that was okay? <cough>

I apologize about the off topic items:
My AC could work better than how it came from the factory.

"Just looking fast is sometimes all it takes!!!"
Visit Beast's album and garage for the mod list.
Sftshldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:58 AM   #13
snymat68

I just got a call from the dealer service manager. After having my car for 3 days and not being able to reproduce the issue (it's been cold out), he said they did a thorough test of all HVAC related systems on the Camaro and did not find a single issue. He went on to say that they called GM this morning and discovered there was a "reprogram for the mode door actuators" (his words). He told me they performed this reprogram on my car. I will be picking it up around 1pm today. Let's hope this fixed the issue! May have to wait a while to really test it. Forecast shows cold and rainy most of the week. Stay tuned for more info.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:31 PM   #14
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Quote:
Originally Posted by snymat68 View Post
I just got a call from the dealer service manager. After having my car for 3 days and not being able to reproduce the issue (it's been cold out), he said they did a thorough test of all HVAC related systems on the Camaro and did not find a single issue. He went on to say that they called GM this morning and discovered there was a "reprogram for the mode door actuators" (his words). He told me they performed this reprogram on my car. I will be picking it up around 1pm today. Let's hope this fixed the issue! May have to wait a while to really test it. Forecast shows cold and rainy most of the week. Stay tuned for more info.
Very interested in the results snymat68. Looking forward to the update.

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 06-12-2013, 10:11 AM   #15
snymat68

So far I've only gotten 2 more data points, both while driving at highway speeds.

Outside Temp | A/C Temp

68 | 47
79 | 47

Still not as cold as I'd like it (maybe due to the R134a?).
It DOES seem to at least be consistent now. No more varying from cold to hot and back again. So, at first glance, it seems as though the "mode door actuator" reprogram had some affect.

Will update again once I get some more data points (hopefully also in hotter weather).
Aesthetic Mods
CamaroCollection Chrome Peek-A-Boo Door Handles | CamaroCollection Interior Accessories Kit | Headlight Armor Smoke Tail Light, Marker Light, & Turn Signal Tint | Custom Plate & Plate Frame | Silver Fade Gill Stripes | Carbon Fiber Bowties
Old 06-12-2013, 11:00 AM   #16
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
If I remember correctly the A/C is ran by the BCM computer. Body Control Module. It runs just about everything on the car besides the engine, radio and navigation.

So the update they had for one thing may of fixed the other.
2013 2SS, GM Strut Tower Brace, CAI Intake Black, VMAX TB, Elite Catch Can, Hotchkis Chassis Brace, Hurst Shifter, 3.91 1LE Complete Rear End, NPP, 1LE Track Pack,Factory Reproductions Style 41 ZL1 Fitment Wheels 10" on all 4 corners
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:11 PM   #17
snymat68

Seems I may have spoken too soon. Just checked it on the way home from work. It was 85 outside. The AC wouldn't blow colder than 55 and varied up to 70 a couple times. I'm getting sick of this. I'm going to keep an eye on it for a while and see if it keeps acting up. I don't want to necessarily take it to another dealer (hassle) just to have them tell me the same thing, that everything checks out OK. Suggestions?
Aesthetic Mods
CamaroCollection Chrome Peek-A-Boo Door Handles | CamaroCollection Interior Accessories Kit | Headlight Armor Smoke Tail Light, Marker Light, & Turn Signal Tint | Custom Plate & Plate Frame | Silver Fade Gill Stripes | Carbon Fiber Bowties
Old 06-14-2013, 03:06 PM   #18
itsadryheat79

Drives: 2012 ZL1 10SSRS (2)79Z28 72RS 69Z
Send a message via Yahoo to itsadryheat79
I just took my 2012 ZL1 in for AC heat soak issues again. Anyone know of a bulletin? It seems the dealer still has no clue how to fix this issue and I drive everyday in the AZ heat.

Last year I took it in a couple times and got various feed back from - we adjusted the fluid level - GM is working on a solution "software upgrade". Once someone actually gave me a printed information packet that described how to turn the AC on. It made me laugh that someone would think I didn't know how to use AC in Arizona. I'm pretty familiar with the early 5thGen AC issues being that I've owned two 2010's that got the HVAC systems fixed under warrantee.

Looking for help cuz I don't want to go thru another summer having to drive in 105+ heat with the windows down.

Basically the AC stops working after I stop and let the car sit like going into a store or idling for a long time. After that it takes sometimes 10min for the AC temperature to stop blowing HOT.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:25 PM   #19
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsadryheat79 View Post
I just took my 2012 ZL1 in for AC heat soak issues again. Anyone know of a bulletin? It seems the dealer still has no clue how to fix this issue and I drive everyday in the AZ heat.

Last year I took it in a couple times and got various feed back from - we adjusted the fluid level - GM is working on a solution "software upgrade". Once someone actually gave me a printed information packet that described how to turn the AC on. It made me laugh that someone would think I didn't know how to use AC in Arizona. I'm pretty familiar with the early 5thGen AC issues being that I've owned two 2010's that got the HVAC systems fixed under warrantee.

Looking for help cuz I don't want to go thru another summer having to drive in 105+ heat with the windows down.

Basically the AC stops working after I stop and let the car sit like going into a store or idling for a long time. After that it takes sometimes 10min for the AC temperature to stop blowing HOT.
Hello itsadryheat79,

Sorry you're having this issue with your A/C and I can definitely understand the urgency living in AZ. Can you private message me your VIN and current mileage? I will pull up your vehicle and see what information is available I can provide.

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 06-14-2013, 04:45 PM   #20
itsadryheat79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
Hello itsadryheat79,

Sorry you're having this issue with your A/C and I can definitely understand the urgency living in AZ. Can you private message me your VIN and current mileage? I will pull up your vehicle and see what information is available I can provide.

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care
PM sent with the the case number from last year -
Old 06-14-2013, 04:50 PM   #21
DuskSS
Bayou City Muscle Cars

Drives: 2013 2SS Dusk Edition
Yeh ours still sucks..brand new 6 month old 13 and hate the AC more than any other car I've owned.
it flat sucks. now that it is 100+ down here in Houston it's terrible.
510.7rwhp 477fpt
Oracle Lighting throughout
DuskSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:01 AM   #22
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Quote:
PM sent with the the case number from last year -
Thank you itsadryheat79,

I will be looking into this right away for you. I will contact you through the PM.

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 06-15-2013, 12:07 PM   #23
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskSS View Post
Yeh ours still sucks..brand new 6 month old 13 and hate the AC more than any other car I've owned.
it flat sucks. now that it is 100+ down here in Houston it's terrible.

Hello DuskSS,

Sorry you are having some trouble with your A/C and feel it's inadequate. Have you visited your dealership on this issue?

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 06-18-2013, 05:24 PM   #24
itsadryheat79

Still no solution - AZ ZL1 heat soak AC issue

Quote:

Well my dealer still has no clue how to fix this - They know this is a problem because another ZL1 customer had this issue last year and they have been able to repeat it. So wave to me when you see me pulled over by the popo for doing 70 in a 45 so I can roll the windows up! Yes I'm frustrated ..... :(
Old 06-18-2013, 05:29 PM   #25
mr_honez
Wifey Lover

Drives: 2013 Crystal Red 2LT/RS
That's really weird, the A/C in my '13 can freeze me out and it's been 100 outside here already. Guess I got lucky. Hope you gets yours figured out OP.