Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2013, 07:23 PM   #1
Baltimorejohn1

 
Baltimorejohn1's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: DC Metro
Posts: 1,208
Top Seven 2010 Chevrolet Camaro Intakes

For the enthusiast who appreciates what the OEM can provide, the stock air intake is an amazing piece. In fact, it was the second fastest accelerating intake in the test (sixth on the dyno) and obviously requires no additional tuning or warranty worries.

For the mod'er who enjoys a stock fit and finish, both the aFe and Airaid intakes faired well in performance, while maintaining a subtle look in the engine bay. For the engineers in the crowd, the Cold Air Inductions and ADM Street intakes both performed well, taking the top HP spot and the third fastest accelerating, respectively.

For the serious tuners who prefer a more aggressive look, Fastlane and LMR looked great, with Fastlane sitting atop the group in terms of fastest acceleration. And, last but not least, the New Era Performance intake is perfect for those looking to stand out from the crowd, while still picking up some additional horsepower.

Read more: http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...#ixzz2V6l62GQZ
_2010_chevrolet_camaro_intakes/viewall.html
Baltimorejohn1 is offline  
Old 06-02-2013, 08:17 PM   #2
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701
 
KaBoom1701's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2LT RS Camaro
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: I.E. SoCal
Posts: 2,070
Sweet.

Nice read.
__________________
Performance Upgrades: CAI Intake, VMAX Ported Throttle Body, RX Catch Can, MRT Axle-Back Exhaust Version 2.0 w/ Magnaflow X Pipe & custom J-Pipes, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, SS Brembo 1LE Brakes Upgrade w/ Hawk HPS Pads & Goodridge brake lines.
Exterior Upgrades: Ceramic Tint 30%, Axis Allies rims 20x9(front) 20x10(rear), Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperCar G:2 Tries 285 (front) x 305 (rear), ACS T-5 Front Splitter, Oracle Lighted Rear Bowtie, rk sport spoiler.
Audio Upgrades: Image Dynamics 10" Subwoofer w/custom leather box, Image Dynamics 5 Channel Amp, Audio Control LC 6, Morel 6.5" Coax Speakers
KaBoom1701 is offline  
Old 06-02-2013, 08:25 PM   #3
EastWood-SS
Born To Run
 
EastWood-SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 BRM SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: The Backstreets
Posts: 366
CAI wins as expected. First thing on my mod list.
__________________
We were blue jean baby, Jesus saved me, Born in the USA

2013 BRM 1SS/RS
Dual Mode Exhaust + Fuse Pull / CAI inc. CAI/ 1LE Strut Tower Brace/ SunRoof/ BA Audio/ Performance Shifter






EastWood-SS is offline  
Old 06-02-2013, 08:28 PM   #4
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks
 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The HMS Invincible
Posts: 26,700
This is a really old write up btw. Just as a heads up.
__________________
Click to view my build thread
The Stig is offline  
Old 06-02-2013, 08:57 PM   #5
Baltimorejohn1

 
Baltimorejohn1's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: DC Metro
Posts: 1,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
This is a really old write up btw. Just as a heads up.
Yes might be time for an update....
Who won depends on what you wanted to accomplish.....

Pipeline was the quickest and stock second in making the car move faster..... CAI was third behind stock.....

I would like to see an expanded test....
I think like was written it all depends on what you are trying to accomplish.....

But CAI was definitely overall maybe the top dog in all categories.....
But my goal is always to go faster.....

Lastly, I will add the more I research this subject the main thing is moving the washer bottle....
Because I did notice they didn't remove that bottle for the others because it wasn't in the setup instructions.....
Baltimorejohn1 is offline  
Old 06-02-2013, 09:02 PM   #6
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks
 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The HMS Invincible
Posts: 26,700
You mean something like the JRE independent CAI testing?
__________________
Click to view my build thread
The Stig is offline  
Old 06-02-2013, 09:25 PM   #7
Baltimorejohn1

 
Baltimorejohn1's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: DC Metro
Posts: 1,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
You mean something like the JRE independent CAI testing?
Yes I saw that and I noticed how things they don't sell all seemed to do pretty bad......

I like the GM testing myself because it was much more unbiased.....
Seems like so many in here are just pouncing threads to push their hidden agenda.....

So yes I saw the test but I wouldn't call it independent.....
This is an independent study:


On the aesthetic side of things, the Aircharger system looks like a very high quality OEM stock component under the hood (with the exception of the polished filter cap), and looks like it belongs there. Also, when we took the car to wide-open-throttle on our dyno runs there was a very noticeable difference in the sound of the intake, and a very slight change in the exhaust note of the SS. Over all, the car just sounded more aggressive.
  • Baseline Rear Wheel HP: 312.9 HP
  • Baseline Rear Wheel Torque: 331.5 Ft/Lbs
  • K&N Aircharger – Rear Wheel HP: 337.9 HP - increase of 25.0 rwhp
  • K&N Aircharger - Rear Wheel Torque: 352.26 Ft/Lbs - increase of 20.76 ft/lbs
Also this was done by GM:

So, is the K&N Typhoon intake all style and no substance? Well, as it turns out you can have your under-hood bling with plenty of power to go with it. With the Typhoon, we gained just under 24 horsepower, and over 23 pound feet of torque over stock – that’s just 1 horsepower less than the Aircharger, and 2 pound feet of torque more.


Our best dyno numbers for the K&N Typhoon on the L99 SS were 336.9 horsepower, and 355.1 pound feet of torque. Let’s just say, that power gain is probably within the statistical variance of our dyno. However, if you want to ignore variance, the plastic air charger out powered the aluminum tube intake by 1 hp, but fell short by a few ft/lbs.
  • Baseline Rear Wheel HP: 312.9 HP
  • Baseline Rear Wheel Torque: 331.5 Ft/Lbs
  • K&N Typhoon – Rear Wheel HP: 336.9 HP - increase of 24.0 rwhp
  • K&N Typhoon- Rear Wheel Torque: 355.16 Ft/Lbs - increase of 23.6 ft/lbs
http://www.lsxtv.com/tech-stories/en...ntake-options/
Baltimorejohn1 is offline  
Old 06-02-2013, 09:45 PM   #8
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks
 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The HMS Invincible
Posts: 26,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltimorejohn1 View Post
Yes I saw that and I noticed how things they don't sell all seemed to do pretty bad......

I like the GM testing myself because it was much more unbiased.....
Seems like so many in here are just pouncing threads to push their hidden agenda.....

So yes I saw the test but I wouldn't call it independent.....
This is an independent study:


On the aesthetic side of things, the Aircharger system looks like a very high quality OEM stock component under the hood (with the exception of the polished filter cap), and looks like it belongs there. Also, when we took the car to wide-open-throttle on our dyno runs there was a very noticeable difference in the sound of the intake, and a very slight change in the exhaust note of the SS. Over all, the car just sounded more aggressive.
  • Baseline Rear Wheel HP: 312.9 HP
  • Baseline Rear Wheel Torque: 331.5 Ft/Lbs
  • K&N Aircharger – Rear Wheel HP: 337.9 HP - increase of 25.0 rwhp
  • K&N Aircharger - Rear Wheel Torque: 352.26 Ft/Lbs - increase of 20.76 ft/lbs
Also this was done by GM:

So, is the K&N Typhoon intake all style and no substance? Well, as it turns out you can have your under-hood bling with plenty of power to go with it. With the Typhoon, we gained just under 24 horsepower, and over 23 pound feet of torque over stock – that’s just 1 horsepower less than the Aircharger, and 2 pound feet of torque more.


Our best dyno numbers for the K&N Typhoon on the L99 SS were 336.9 horsepower, and 355.1 pound feet of torque. Let’s just say, that power gain is probably within the statistical variance of our dyno. However, if you want to ignore variance, the plastic air charger out powered the aluminum tube intake by 1 hp, but fell short by a few ft/lbs.
  • Baseline Rear Wheel HP: 312.9 HP
  • Baseline Rear Wheel Torque: 331.5 Ft/Lbs
  • K&N Typhoon – Rear Wheel HP: 336.9 HP - increase of 24.0 rwhp
  • K&N Typhoon- Rear Wheel Torque: 355.16 Ft/Lbs - increase of 23.6 ft/lbs
http://www.lsxtv.com/tech-stories/en...ntake-options/
Except its only comparing different K&N products. All this tells me is that if I was going to buy K&N I'd buy the Aircharger one. Doesn't tell me how K&N does against other companies.
__________________
Click to view my build thread
The Stig is offline  
Old 06-02-2013, 09:58 PM   #9
Baltimorejohn1

 
Baltimorejohn1's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: DC Metro
Posts: 1,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
Except its only comparing different K&N products. All this tells me is that if I was going to buy K&N I'd buy the Aircharger one. Doesn't tell me how K&N does against other companies.
Really the numbers are there because the test was done by GM......
I would get the Typhoon because I love the torque because it gets you off the line quicker.....

25 RWHP is better than anyone in that other test....
And GM did both test....
Baltimorejohn1 is offline  
Old 06-02-2013, 11:09 PM   #10
axis
Search Ninja
 
axis's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Central Ark
Posts: 7,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltimorejohn1 View Post
Really the numbers are there because the test was done by GM......
I would get the Typhoon because I love the torque because it gets you off the line quicker.....

25 RWHP is better than anyone in that other test....
And GM did both test....
show me ANY CAI for any year Camaro that puts out 25whp. That alone should tell you if those numbers are fudged. There are LOTS of things wrong with both those tests and they have been discussed NUMEROUS times. Searching is your friend. Thanks for bringing up a 3yo article.
__________________
2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Halltech Yellowjacket fed
GPI modded intake manifold
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline  
Old 06-02-2013, 11:16 PM   #11
thahemp
Geek
 
thahemp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Black LS3
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Derby, KS
Posts: 3,958
I use a K&N filter to clean my hands after I'm done installing my long-throw shifter and shorties. Chuck Norris was no help as usual...
__________________
01000111011011110110111101100100001000000110110001 11010101100011011010110010000001110111011010010111 01000110100000100000011101000110100001101001011100 110010000001101111011011100110010100100001

x = ac97968bd3df8f968c8cd3df998a9c94d3df9c8a918bd3df9c 909c94df8c8a9c949a8dd3df92908b979a8ddf998a9c949a8d d3df8b968b8cd1
x = ~x
thahemp is offline  
Old 06-02-2013, 11:16 PM   #12
thahemp
Geek
 
thahemp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Black LS3
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Derby, KS
Posts: 3,958
Isn't a typhoon a water storm anyways? Why would you name your intake after a wet-weather event?
__________________
01000111011011110110111101100100001000000110110001 11010101100011011010110010000001110111011010010111 01000110100000100000011101000110100001101001011100 110010000001101111011011100110010100100001

x = ac97968bd3df8f968c8cd3df998a9c94d3df9c8a918bd3df9c 909c94df8c8a9c949a8dd3df92908b979a8ddf998a9c949a8d d3df8b968b8cd1
x = ~x
thahemp is offline  
Old 06-02-2013, 11:52 PM   #13
hapisok
crazier than a coconut
 
hapisok's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: virginia
Posts: 1,538
What happened to roto fab?

Anyhow...what about heat soak.
Intake air temps...
__________________
hapisok is offline  
Old 06-03-2013, 12:24 AM   #14
Chevrolade
 
Chevrolade's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 724
I run the AEM and I'm very happy with it
Chevrolade is offline  
Old 06-03-2013, 12:42 AM   #15
Jason@JacFab
Mad Scientist

 
Jason@JacFab's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 1LT Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Central Point, OR
Posts: 3,383
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
REEAAAAAAAAAALLLLYYY old write up...

I'm pretty happy with my repeatable 17-18hp gain with no scoop...

But K&N... Hands down, there is no beating their expertise.
__________________

Specializing in attractive "no drill" front license plate brackets for the 2010+ Camaro Check out our new website! www.jacfab.com
2010 Camaro 1SS RJT w/ SIM Stripes; M6. 12.535 @ 112.33mph SOLD!
2014 Camaro 1LT RRM; A6.JacFab No-Drill front license plate bracket... More to come...
Jason@JacFab is offline  
Old 06-03-2013, 05:39 AM   #16
Apex Chase

 
Apex Chase's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 22,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltimorejohn1 View Post
I like the GM testing myself because it was much more unbiased.....
Seems like so many in here are just pouncing threads to push their hidden agenda.....

So yes I saw the test but I wouldn't call it independent.....
This is an independent study....

Also this was done by GM...
GM High Tech Performance and LSXTV are not GM, they are automotive media outlets. If you are looking to put your undying faith in the integrity of an information source it should not be an organization that lives and dies on advertising dollars.
__________________
Apex Chase is offline  
Old 06-03-2013, 05:46 AM   #17
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2
 
litle88's Avatar
 
Drives: 2001 Ws6
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Burbank,IL
Posts: 6,345
I dropped in a K&N panel filter only and my engine sounds like one angry machine I can now chirp 1st, 2nd, 3rd and if I have a tail wind I feel like 4th will get a chirp like thehemps lifters on his passenger side!
__________________
01 Ws6, m6, ASC#618 of 1583,40k Miles,shortblock built by AES the rest built by me,Ls3 416,FAST 102, NW102,LPE Ls3 heads

Join us:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/5138...3848358733509/
litle88 is offline  
Old 06-03-2013, 05:47 AM   #18
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2
 
litle88's Avatar
 
Drives: 2001 Ws6
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Burbank,IL
Posts: 6,345
Now imagine what a cold air kit like a k & n will do?
__________________
01 Ws6, m6, ASC#618 of 1583,40k Miles,shortblock built by AES the rest built by me,Ls3 416,FAST 102, NW102,LPE Ls3 heads

Join us:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/5138...3848358733509/
litle88 is offline  
Old 06-03-2013, 06:04 AM   #19
POWERFREAK
I.AM.
 
POWERFREAK's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS/M6
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 2,364
Not really the "top 7 intakes", more like the 7 intakes tested.
__________________
2010 R6P-2SS/RS/LS3 - IBM w/ silver rally stripes / UNDER CONSTRUCTION.

NY5thgen.com
POWERFREAK is offline  
Old 06-03-2013, 06:33 AM   #20
Baltimorejohn1

 
Baltimorejohn1's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: DC Metro
Posts: 1,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
GM High Tech Performance and LSXTV are not GM, they are automotive media outlets. If you are looking to put your undying faith in the integrity of an information source it should not be an organization that lives and dies on advertising dollars.
Point is everyone has agendas buy what works best for you.....
I think the article was pretty fair in saying it depends on what you like....
Something for everyone pick what you like.....

You don't put GMs name on your organization and not have some affiliation.....
NASCAR isn't GM but are they affiliated?
Baltimorejohn1 is offline  
Old 06-03-2013, 06:53 AM   #21
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2
 
litle88's Avatar
 
Drives: 2001 Ws6
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Burbank,IL
Posts: 6,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltimorejohn1 View Post
Point is everyone has agendas buy what works best for you.....
I think the article was pretty fair in saying it depends on what you like....
Something for everyone pick what you like.....

You don't put GMs name on your organization and not have some affiliation.....
NASCAR isn't GM but are they affiliated?

ALL WRONG
Looks like you have your mind made up! So just buy it already.
__________________
01 Ws6, m6, ASC#618 of 1583,40k Miles,shortblock built by AES the rest built by me,Ls3 416,FAST 102, NW102,LPE Ls3 heads

Join us:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/5138...3848358733509/
litle88 is offline  
Old 06-03-2013, 07:00 AM   #22
Baltimorejohn1

 
Baltimorejohn1's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: DC Metro
Posts: 1,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by litle88 View Post



ALL WRONG
Looks like you have your mind made up! So just buy it already.
Why does it bother you so bad that some want to discuss this on a discussion board?

If you want to disagree that is fine.....

Moreover, if you read what I said you would see I stated moving the washer bottle may be the biggest gain....

Its just a discussion on a discussion board it will be ok
Baltimorejohn1 is offline  
Old 06-03-2013, 07:25 AM   #23
joelster
 
Drives: '94 Z28+ '14 1LE
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tonawanda, NY
Posts: 593
I really hope you guys don't believe what you read in a magazine to be 100% accurate.

Magazines are rolling advertisements for the sponsors within their pages. The tests will be finessed and the article will be biased to some degree. Parts of the test will have some merit, but you'd be better off buying your CAI by doing your own research and seeing what other owners have to say about the product, and finding other independent dyno/track results.
__________________
'94 Z28, 414" LT1, 10.15 at 133.65 N/A pump gas
'14 1LE, NPP, 12.991 at 109.40
joelster is online now  
Old 06-03-2013, 07:37 AM   #24
matt55

 
matt55's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS AMB , mini revo
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Raleigh NC
Posts: 893
25 whp from a k&n cai
Seems Legit
__________________
Vararam , OBX and tune . 411/414 dynojet.
matt55 is offline  
Old 06-03-2013, 07:38 AM   #25
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks
 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The HMS Invincible
Posts: 26,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltimorejohn1 View Post
Why does it bother you so bad that some want to discuss this on a discussion board?

If you want to disagree that is fine.....

Moreover, if you read what I said you would see I stated moving the washer bottle may be the biggest gain....

Its just a discussion on a discussion board it will be ok
Moving the washer bottle itself probably won't do that much - need to add the scoop.
__________________
Click to view my build thread
The Stig is offline  
 
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.