Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

ADM PERFORMANCE
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Forced Induction - V8 V8 Supercharger, turbo, nitrous discussions

Old 07-06-2009, 09:13 PM   #51
White Devil

Drives: Summit White 1SS Soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmd View Post
2 comments...these type S/C produce power in a turbo(esc) way...ie in a linear fashion, they don't produce the raw low end torque of a roots type blower, but they will make very strong power 3-4K up and make more peak power than a PD blower. Since this is a heavy car, the question I have is which one will "run" better, product better power under the curve (more average power).
You're gonna get a ton of different responses.

The way I see it, and this is just my opinion... Roots and twin screws are going to give you that instant burst of low end torque while still maintaining a decent gain higher up. Depending on how you drive this may be what you're looking for. I can see that setup having major traction issues on the Camaro.. Refer to the SS vs GT500 video. Traction issues made that bastard run slower than it should on paper. Another good read is the edmunds test of the HPE 550.

Now, the centrifugals, like you said, gain power more in a linear fashion like a turbo. You will still gain some low end torque over stock so it will have worse traction than stock... but not nearly as bad as the PD blowers.. The large gains come mid to high range. I can see that setup being quicker in the fact that you will be able to control traction easier, which will get you into that higher rpm range quicker where you're gonna pull like a mofo.

But after all thats just my opinion and it's probably
White Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:17 PM   #52
pharmd
Master of Medicine

Drives: 2012 VW GTI, 2007 TBSS, 2002 Camaro
Kinda my point is that in a 1/4 mile situation that is not traction limited (ie you run a DR and aren't scared to possibly break your rear/tranny/driveshaft etc), since this is such a heavy car, and requires such torque to move the thing out of the hole, and 60' creates winning ET's that the PD blower may have the edge in the 1/4....the centri- may have the edge on the roll races....JMHO...
Old 07-06-2009, 10:42 PM   #53
Black GT
Banned

Drives: 2006 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeZee View Post
A stock 4.6L is 281 cubic inches since 1996 and a stock sohc/dohc mustang 4.6L engine can only handle 450rwhp. You can do whatever you want to but i had a 2003 Dohc 4-valve Mach1 4.6L (281) and i was on the limit with 444rwhp off a procharger system with 10#'s, so i know for a fact a 3-valve 2005+ GT mustang can only handle 450 safe. The 3-valve heads are one step away from 4-valve heads. These new camaro SS's can handle 525-550rwhp just doing basic math and going off what LS3 Vettes can handle but don't push your luck after that.

I'm a little over the 450 RWHP threshhold (485RWHP) on stock intrenals pushing 9.7 lbs. boost.
Borrowed time--maybe
Good tune-- Definitely

There are quite a few Mustangs running 450-500 RWHP on stock motors.
Black GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:48 PM   #54
White Devil

Drives: Summit White 1SS Soon
Quote:
Kinda my point is that in a 1/4 mile situation that is not traction limited (ie you run a DR and aren't scared to possibly break your rear/tranny/driveshaft etc), since this is such a heavy car, and requires such torque to move the thing out of the hole, and 60' creates winning ET's that the PD blower may have the edge in the 1/4....the centri- may have the edge on the roll races....JMHO...
Ah, on a dr and no worries... tough to say. In that case ya the PD blower is gonna rip outta the hole, but what kinda power levels are we talking? Most of the fastest FI vettes are turbo/centri, but I believe that's simply due to fact that above a certain power level, the turbo/centri route is easier to make big numbers with. I'm not doubting the pd blower here, I just don't see many serious racers using them. (on LS engines at high numbers, I'm not talking all types of dragsters)

If we're talking about power lvls between 500-600RWHP, sounds like a drivers race to me, but I think I may give it to the pd blower (if u got slicks).
White Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 03:51 PM   #55
mondain

Drives: toyota
I just got off the phone with Procharger; the $6,896 is for the full kit + tune, they also sell just a tuner kit which is everything minus the fuel components for $6,196.
mondain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 04:15 PM   #56
davidj

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Devil View Post
You're gonna get a ton of different responses.

The way I see it, and this is just my opinion... Roots and twin screws are going to give you that instant burst of low end torque while still maintaining a decent gain higher up. Depending on how you drive this may be what you're looking for. I can see that setup having major traction issues on the Camaro.. Refer to the SS vs GT500 video. Traction issues made that bastard run slower than it should on paper. Another good read is the edmunds test of the HPE 550.

Now, the centrifugals, like you said, gain power more in a linear fashion like a turbo. You will still gain some low end torque over stock so it will have worse traction than stock... but not nearly as bad as the PD blowers.. The large gains come mid to high range. I can see that setup being quicker in the fact that you will be able to control traction easier, which will get you into that higher rpm range quicker where you're gonna pull like a mofo.

But after all thats just my opinion and it's probably
That sounds right to me.

Quote:
I think with such a heavy car and complete traction, you will break parts. So if you have the $$$ go for it. Otherwise I think the centri's will have an edge.