Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
JUICEDMOTORSPORTS
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2013, 01:57 AM   #1
DDuBose
 
Drives: 2010
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 4
K&N Cold air intake Thought?

what are yall's thoughts on the K&N cold air intakes for the SS??
DDuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:59 AM   #2
bw26ss
Banned
 
Drives: ss camaro
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: usa
Posts: 877
nothing wrong with it, check out the roto fab
bw26ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:30 AM   #3
Apex Motorsports

 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 23,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDuBose View Post
what are yall's thoughts on the K&N cold air intakes for the SS??
Not the best, not the worst.
__________________
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:32 AM   #4
litle88
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2001 Ws6
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Burbank,IL
Posts: 6,349
Ehhhh lots of info of this in the V8 lounge lol
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:43 AM   #5
mikeyg36
The GT Troll Hundred
 
mikeyg36's Avatar
 
Drives: Cammed '12 2SS/RS LS3 '15 Z/28
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 8,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by litle88 View Post
Ehhhh lots of info of this in the V8 lounge lol
__________________
Click For Build Thread ***CAI Intake, ARH LTs, FSP Big NA Cam, Tuned By Matt@FSP***
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:49 AM   #6
DDuBose
 
Drives: 2010
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 4
Okay thank you!
DDuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:17 AM   #7
Juice2SS

 
Drives: 2011 2SS
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 810
I had the K&N CAI. I removed it and replaced it with the ADM. I picked up about a tenth and about a mph in worse air. You be the judge.
__________________
2011 2SS Black/Black
GMPP heads, GPI SS3 VVT, SP 1 7/8" LTs/cats, GPI intake, Vararam CAI, UDP, Yank SS 3600, DriveShaft Shop DS, ADM Cooler, 3.45s, Race Stars
Juice2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:28 AM   #8
Denis


 
Denis's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Lexington Park, MD
Posts: 5,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice2SS View Post
I had the K&N CAI. I removed it and replaced it with the ADM. I picked up about a tenth and about a mph in worse air. You be the judge.
That kinda sums it up
__________________
Denis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:32 AM   #9
SSGUNNER
Chu no guat a hasa is?
 
SSGUNNER's Avatar
 
Drives: 14 Jeep G Cherokee Overland HEMI
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Some where in So Cal
Posts: 4,256
K&N are not that great for the SS so ive read. I had an LT prior and had a k&n cai and it was ok.
__________________
11 2SS/RSL99No Longer Stock (Sold) 6/19/14:AAC Plasma DRL's | Plug n play harness | Elite CC | Tint: 35% & 5% | LED Dome light | Show-N-Go Plate Holder | Flowmaster AT | C.A.I. Intake | VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB | Husky Splash Guards
SSGUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:36 AM   #10
JDP Tyler

 
JDP Tyler's Avatar
 
Drives: Chevys at the limit
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 7,026
They are decent for the cost, but there are definitely better options. Essentially you get what you pay for.. I suggest looking into Roto-Fab. Great intake system at good price. Please feel free to call, PM or email me anytime with questions.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
__________________

Click HERE to send me a PM | Sales@jdpmotorsports.com | www.jdpmotorsports.com | 888.308.6007
JDP Tyler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:51 AM   #11
Juice2SS

 
Drives: 2011 2SS
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales@JDP View Post
They are decent for the cost, but there are definitely better options. Essentially you get what you pay for.. I suggest looking into Roto-Fab. Great intake system at good price. Please feel free to call, PM or email me anytime with questions.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
Definitely get what you pay for!
__________________
2011 2SS Black/Black
GMPP heads, GPI SS3 VVT, SP 1 7/8" LTs/cats, GPI intake, Vararam CAI, UDP, Yank SS 3600, DriveShaft Shop DS, ADM Cooler, 3.45s, Race Stars
Juice2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:25 AM   #12
Baltimorejohn1

 
Baltimorejohn1's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: DC Metro
Posts: 1,248
From GM High Tech

On the aesthetic side of things, the Aircharger system looks like a very high quality OEM stock component under the hood (with the exception of the polished filter cap), and looks like it belongs there. Also, when we took the car to wide-open-throttle on our dyno runs there was a very noticeable difference in the sound of the intake, and a very slight change in the exhaust note of the SS. Over all, the car just sounded more aggressive.
  • Baseline Rear Wheel HP: 312.9 HP
  • Baseline Rear Wheel Torque: 331.5 Ft/Lbs
  • K&N Aircharger – Rear Wheel HP: 337.9 HP - increase of 25.0 rwhp
  • K&N Aircharger - Rear Wheel Torque: 352.26 Ft/Lbs - increase of 20.76 ft/lbs
Also this was done by GM:

So, is the K&N Typhoon intake all style and no substance? Well, as it turns out you can have your under-hood bling with plenty of power to go with it. With the Typhoon, we gained just under 24 horsepower, and over 23 pound feet of torque over stock – that’s just 1 horsepower less than the Aircharger, and 2 pound feet of torque more.


Our best dyno numbers for the K&N Typhoon on the L99 SS were 336.9 horsepower, and 355.1 pound feet of torque. Let’s just say, that power gain is probably within the statistical variance of our dyno. However, if you want to ignore variance, the plastic air charger out powered the aluminum tube intake by 1 hp, but fell short by a few ft/lbs.
  • Baseline Rear Wheel HP: 312.9 HP
  • Baseline Rear Wheel Torque: 331.5 Ft/Lbs
  • K&N Typhoon – Rear Wheel HP: 336.9 HP - increase of 24.0 rwhp
  • K&N Typhoon- Rear Wheel Torque: 355.16 Ft/Lbs - increase of 23.6 ft/lbs
http://www.lsxtv.com/tech-stories/en...ntake-options/
Baltimorejohn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:35 AM   #13
mikeyg36
The GT Troll Hundred
 
mikeyg36's Avatar
 
Drives: Cammed '12 2SS/RS LS3 '15 Z/28
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 8,253
^
__________________
Click For Build Thread ***CAI Intake, ARH LTs, FSP Big NA Cam, Tuned By Matt@FSP***
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:51 PM   #14
Camarojt

 
Camarojt's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011camaro SS
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Allen, Tx
Posts: 1,850
I switched my K&N to an ADM race w/scoop and picked my car up quite a bit! With a K&N, I'm not even sure you get a gain from. It looks better than stock but that's about it.
Read this thread!


http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=290695
Camarojt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:07 PM   #15
Sales @ CAI Inc



 
Sales @ CAI Inc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS/RS CAI Inc. CAI, Cam, Tune
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltimorejohn1 View Post
From GM High Tech






On the aesthetic side of things, the Aircharger system looks like a very high quality OEM stock component under the hood (with the exception of the polished filter cap), and looks like it belongs there. Also, when we took the car to wide-open-throttle on our dyno runs there was a very noticeable difference in the sound of the intake, and a very slight change in the exhaust note of the SS. Over all, the car just sounded more aggressive.
  • Baseline Rear Wheel HP: 312.9 HP
  • Baseline Rear Wheel Torque: 331.5 Ft/Lbs
  • K&N Aircharger – Rear Wheel HP: 337.9 HP - increase of 25.0 rwhp
  • K&N Aircharger - Rear Wheel Torque: 352.26 Ft/Lbs - increase of 20.76 ft/lbs
Also this was done by GM:

So, is the K&N Typhoon intake all style and no substance? Well, as it turns out you can have your under-hood bling with plenty of power to go with it. With the Typhoon, we gained just under 24 horsepower, and over 23 pound feet of torque over stock – that’s just 1 horsepower less than the Aircharger, and 2 pound feet of torque more.







Our best dyno numbers for the K&N Typhoon on the L99 SS were 336.9 horsepower, and 355.1 pound feet of torque. Let’s just say, that power gain is probably within the statistical variance of our dyno. However, if you want to ignore variance, the plastic air charger out powered the aluminum tube intake by 1 hp, but fell short by a few ft/lbs.
  • Baseline Rear Wheel HP: 312.9 HP
  • Baseline Rear Wheel Torque: 331.5 Ft/Lbs
  • K&N Typhoon – Rear Wheel HP: 336.9 HP - increase of 24.0 rwhp
  • K&N Typhoon- Rear Wheel Torque: 355.16 Ft/Lbs - increase of 23.6 ft/lbs
http://www.lsxtv.com/tech-stories/en...ntake-options/

I've noticed you posted this a few times recently and wanted to let you know that GM had nothing to do with this testing and they are in no way affiliated with the tester. This was done by GM High Tech Performance Magazine. They re just a magazine like any other and have nothing to do with General Motors the car manufacturer. Our company was actually in this test, did very well with it, and even with that being said the testing methods were not the best and left some room for variance. The Jannetty Racing CAI testing done was far more scientific and controlled, and supplied much better data.

I am not pointing this comment to any manufacturer specifically, but there is not a CAI made by any company, including ours, that will net you 25 rwhp over stock for this vehicle that can and has been proven consistently on a 3rd party Dyno by a trusted source on this forum without tuning. Our CAI gets 16 rwhp over stock and we are at the higher end of the spectrum in terms of gains.

I just did not want you to keep posting that and telling people "GM tested them" when GM as a company was in no way involved.
__________________
Call Us: 810.392.9999 (Click Sig Pic for Website)

Last edited by Sales @ CAI Inc; 06-03-2013 at 02:17 PM.
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.