Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
B&M
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Member Car Journals Want to keep a long term Camaro project journal to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2013, 02:49 PM   #151
jlugo
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2014 1LE 'Summit White'
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Temple, Texas
Posts: 2,515
Awesome photo work and awesome ride!

jlugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:54 PM   #152
Go big or Go home
 
Go big or Go home's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: South Miami, FL
Posts: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by V6owner View Post
That is a killer V6!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlugo View Post
Awesome photo work and awesome ride!

Thank you both! It means a lot!
__________________
Go big or Go home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 02:42 PM   #153
chrisv213
 
Drives: 2013 Murdered Out 2LT
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 6
Paige:
I have had my 2013 LT for a couple of months and since it is the first Gen 5 I have ever owned, when it came time to do the system, I was checking out all of the build logs for some visuals to verify if the ideas I had were legit. When I came across your thread, I was floored. It was everything I wanted to do, but better! I have been doing my own audio systems (and systems for a few other people as well) and it seems that every time I get a new car I tell myself that I am not going to do such an elaborate install this time, and of course, as soon as I start that goes out the window. Long story short, I didn't even make it to the start of my build before my plans were toast, thanks to the awesome job you and your dad have done with everything in your car.
If you do not mind, I am going to use some of the inspiration that your build has given me and combine that with my original plans, to complete what is no doubt, going to be one of the biggest projects I have ever attempted by myself. I do have a few questions for you, if that is cool.
1.) As far as the MDF floor, walls, and ceiling in the trunk, did you guys bolt the angle iron frame to the car and then attach the wood to the frame, or did you put each section together outside the car and then slide each one in and connect them? If you did bolt the frame, how did you determine the spots to attach them and did you just drive a lag bolt in or use threaded inserts? (I know that is more than one question. Sorry )
2.)I see you used two Optima batteries. I am using two Kinetiks and keeping the OEM battery for the car functions. I am actually installing my amps in the spare tire well and am going to have the batteries on either side, behind the false wall. My question (finally!) is what did you do as far as the electrical system, to handle such a large set up? Did you install a beefed up alternator? Do you use an isolator or capacitors? Did you run another 0 gauge cable from the alternator or did you splice the factory 0 gauge?
3.) Lastly, for now any way, because I am sure I will have more questions as this build progresses, where did you ground the various components? I know there are quite a few large bolts throughout the interior and I am leaning towards utilizing some of those, but I have had issues in the past where they were not always solidly connected under the surface of the sheet metal, and tracking down a ground fault in a complicated, completed install, is a nightmare.
Thanks again for letting me ramble and pick your brain. I have included a few pics of my black LT and where I am in my install. For now, I am keeping the factory Mylink head unit and using a signal processor with an LOC to integrate my amps. I have already installed my Infinity Kappa component speakers in the doors, sound proofed every inch I could (including the floorpan and the ceiling/top), and have started on the wiring. You have given me a lofty ideal to aspire to, so I had better get back to work!

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 268
Size:  68.0 KB

Name:  Capture1.JPG
Views: 266
Size:  97.0 KB

Name:  Capture3.JPG
Views: 257
Size:  99.4 KB
chrisv213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:54 PM   #154
Go big or Go home
 
Go big or Go home's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: South Miami, FL
Posts: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisv213 View Post
Paige:
I have had my 2013 LT for a couple of months and since it is the first Gen 5 I have ever owned, when it came time to do the system, I was checking out all of the build logs for some visuals to verify if the ideas I had were legit. When I came across your thread, I was floored. It was everything I wanted to do, but better! I have been doing my own audio systems (and systems for a few other people as well) and it seems that every time I get a new car I tell myself that I am not going to do such an elaborate install this time, and of course, as soon as I start that goes out the window. Long story short, I didn't even make it to the start of my build before my plans were toast, thanks to the awesome job you and your dad have done with everything in your car.
If you do not mind, I am going to use some of the inspiration that your build has given me and combine that with my original plans, to complete what is no doubt, going to be one of the biggest projects I have ever attempted by myself. I do have a few questions for you, if that is cool.
Thank you so much! Never thought my build would inspire someone, that's awesome! Im sorry it took so long for me to respond, I haven't been on much the past week or so. I'd be happy to answer whatever questions you have I know what you're saying about originally wanting to keep things simple. I think I say that every time and somehow end up doing something more elaborate every time, it never fails haha!


Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisv213 View Post
1.) As far as the MDF floor, walls, and ceiling in the trunk, did you guys bolt the angle iron frame to the car and then attach the wood to the frame, or did you put each section together outside the car and then slide each one in and connect them? If you did bolt the frame, how did you determine the spots to attach them and did you just drive a lag bolt in or use threaded inserts?
The MDF floor, front wall (where the subs mount) and under the rear deck was placed first then the angle iron was mounted to that MDF. I fit the angle iron piece by piece inside the trunk, held it together with tack welds then removed it, welded it fully and installed it. The MDF sidewalls were then mounted to the angle iron and fully sealed.



Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisv213 View Post
2.)I see you used two Optima batteries. I am using two Kinetiks and keeping the OEM battery for the car functions. I am actually installing my amps in the spare tire well and am going to have the batteries on either side, behind the false wall. My question (finally!) is what did you do as far as the electrical system, to handle such a large set up? Did you install a beefed up alternator? Do you use an isolator or capacitors? Did you run another 0 gauge cable from the alternator or did you splice the factory 0 gauge?
A beefed up alternator is the best way to go; however as far as I know, there is not a direct replacement for the V6 (at least there wasn’t when I did my build). I’ve been contemplating doing custom fabrication to make another alternator work but haven’t tackled that yet. So for now, the best thing available is the extra battery. I have one Optima replacing the stock battery and the second running the stereo etc. I do have a second 0 gauge from the alternator to the second battery. And the ignition wire from fuse box is tied to an isolator that connects the two batteries when the car is turned on. There’s really no need for a capacitor with this set up.



Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisv213 View Post
3.) Lastly, for now any way, because I am sure I will have more questions as this build progresses, where did you ground the various components? I know there are quite a few large bolts throughout the interior and I am leaning towards utilizing some of those, but I have had issues in the past where they were not always solidly connected under the surface of the sheet metal, and tracking down a ground fault in a complicated, completed install, is a nightmare.
Yeah tracking down a bad ground really is a nightmare. With this build I wanted to make sure everything was still very accessible because you just never know what you’ll want to access later. That’s why I have all the access panels… etc. but back to your question… close to where the factory battery is grounded, there are threaded holes; I cleaned the area up really good, ran a bolt through and used that for the ground. The battery is grounded close to there also so figured there was no better spot.

As for your question about the suede, I didn't cover any original plastic panels. There is A LOT of suede in the car but everything was originally fabric (like the headliner), custom built pieces (such as the portion of the ports inside the cabin of the car) or wood.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask. I'd love to see pictures as your build processes! Did you start a build thread?
__________________
Go big or Go home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 05:09 PM   #155
Piouu93
SoCal Ht5
 
Piouu93's Avatar
 
Drives: White Camaro 2LT Rs
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Lebanon
Posts: 98
Im in love
__________________
Piouu93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:57 PM   #156
Go big or Go home
 
Go big or Go home's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: South Miami, FL
Posts: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piouu93 View Post
Im in love
Thank you!
I like the marks on the front of your car! Really neat idea, do you have a full picture of the front?
__________________
Go big or Go home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:24 PM   #157
Aequitas & Veritas

 
Aequitas & Veritas's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Kansas
Posts: 2,025
No idea how I keep missing this awesome build threads. Just went through all the pages and you have a great car, nice way to represent the v6!

But my favorite part of the thread is the photos, not just the ones with you in them but I really love the photos of the Calipers (the two that have no wheel on) those just turned out awesome! What type of camera/settings are you using?
Aequitas & Veritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:35 PM   #158
Go big or Go home
 
Go big or Go home's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: South Miami, FL
Posts: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aequitas & Veritas View Post
No idea how I keep missing this awesome build threads. Just went through all the pages and you have a great car, nice way to represent the v6!

But my favorite part of the thread is the photos, not just the ones with you in them but I really love the photos of the Calipers (the two that have no wheel on) those just turned out awesome! What type of camera/settings are you using?
Thank you so much! It's definitely harder to get noticed with a v6 so it always means a lot when people like what I've done

I have a Nikon D5200. For those pictures of the calipers, I was using the selective color effect. It allows you to choose up to three colors that will remain in color and the rest go black and white. Definitely my favorite effect.
__________________
Go big or Go home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:38 PM   #159
Go big or Go home
 
Go big or Go home's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: South Miami, FL
Posts: 457

Feels like it has been awhile since I updated about my car, it has been sitting pretty in the garage lately haha!
But I did a little mod recently and sometimes the small modifications can make a big impact… I added shock covers to both the hood and trunk. I really like the detail they add, I'd recommend them to anyone debating getting them.







I took the car out to a local show Cool Wheels Car Show on Sunday to show off the new shock covers and took home an award for "Top Forty". There was 350+ cars in attendance so it was a great honor







__________________
Go big or Go home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:27 PM   #160
rgrmoreira13
 
rgrmoreira13's Avatar
 
Drives: Tumbler
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Miami WADE County
Posts: 564
your car looks simply amazing. Congrats on the COTW it is simply well deserved. It not shows in the beauty of your car but it is a massive amount of attention to detail. Your journal comes to prove that very statement. I wish to see you in a Car show if I decide to drive my baby up north LOL. OR you can come down to Miami too. Love your Rims and your system and the Rotors with the Brembo's look sick.
__________________
My build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312830

Performance- Roto-Fab Cold Air Intake
Cosmetics - Eagle Eye Headlghts with 8K HID bulbs, CCFL Foglights with stage 3 LED bulbs, Carbon Fiber Bowtie, 20x8.5 by 20x10.5 XO Berlin Wheels, Gloss Black ZL1 spoiler, ZL1 Manual steering wheel, Leather shift knob with red stitching, Suede shift boot with red stitching, 4 pack auxilary Guages, Elite Catch Can more coming soon....
rgrmoreira13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:10 PM   #161
Aequitas & Veritas

 
Aequitas & Veritas's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Kansas
Posts: 2,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go big or Go home View Post
Thank you so much! It's definitely harder to get noticed with a v6 so it always means a lot when people like what I've done

I have a Nikon D5200. For those pictures of the calipers, I was using the selective color effect. It allows you to choose up to three colors that will remain in color and the rest go black and white. Definitely my favorite effect.
Yeah it is hard to get noticed, I know the feeling. Keep up the great work!

Always love the Nikon! Same brand I use, and that is an awesome effect!
Aequitas & Veritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:42 PM   #162
Go big or Go home
 
Go big or Go home's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: South Miami, FL
Posts: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrmoreira13 View Post
your car looks simply amazing. Congrats on the COTW it is simply well deserved. It not shows in the beauty of your car but it is a massive amount of attention to detail. Your journal comes to prove that very statement. I wish to see you in a Car show if I decide to drive my baby up north LOL. OR you can come down to Miami too. Love your Rims and your system and the Rotors with the Brembo's look sick.
Thank you so much, I really appreciate it! Details are a top priority to me. It seems like they go unnoticed quite a bit so I always love when people appreciate the details! I go to car shows around Miami quite a bit so we're bound to run into each other sooner or later Do you go to shows a lot?
__________________
Go big or Go home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:45 PM   #163
Go big or Go home
 
Go big or Go home's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: South Miami, FL
Posts: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aequitas & Veritas View Post
Yeah it is hard to get noticed, I know the feeling. Keep up the great work!

Always love the Nikon! Same brand I use, and that is an awesome effect!
I saw your signature picture and assumed you had a V8, just noticed you actually have a V6… You know exactly what it's like then I guess the silver lining is, when our cars get noticed we know we truly did something good
__________________
Go big or Go home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:51 PM   #164
Aequitas & Veritas

 
Aequitas & Veritas's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Kansas
Posts: 2,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go big or Go home View Post
I saw your signature picture and assumed you had a V8, just noticed you actually have a V6… You know exactly what it's like then I guess the silver lining is, when our cars get noticed we know we truly did something good
Haha yeah, my profile photo has day one look and my sig has the first batch of mods. Need to change it again here shortly. I just liked the T3 ports so had to swap bumpers lol
Aequitas & Veritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:08 PM   #165
Go big or Go home
 
Go big or Go home's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: South Miami, FL
Posts: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aequitas & Veritas View Post
Haha yeah, my profile photo has day one look and my sig has the first batch of mods. Need to change it again here shortly. I just liked the T3 ports so had to swap bumpers lol
Fair enough haha! I almost did the same thing, love the T3 ports!
__________________
Go big or Go home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:14 PM   #166
Aequitas & Veritas

 
Aequitas & Veritas's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Kansas
Posts: 2,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go big or Go home View Post
Fair enough haha! I almost did the same thing, love the T3 ports!
Might be in your future? But I do love everything you've done to your car so far

But I am drawn to white Camaros, but your's looks great

Hence I keep coming back now that I see an update
Aequitas & Veritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:42 PM   #167
rgrmoreira13
 
rgrmoreira13's Avatar
 
Drives: Tumbler
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Miami WADE County
Posts: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go big or Go home View Post
Thank you so much, I really appreciate it! Details are a top priority to me. It seems like they go unnoticed quite a bit so I always love when people appreciate the details! I go to car shows around Miami quite a bit so we're bound to run into each other sooner or later Do you go to shows a lot?
yes I go to Towers up in Davie once in a while. I also go to Hooters and Horsepower up in Sunrise. Yes hopefully we can meet in a car show soon. I would love to see your personally and ask you questions in aspect what you have done in your car. Respect in you doing everything for yourself. I can appreciate people in wanting to get their hands dirty.
__________________
My build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312830

Performance- Roto-Fab Cold Air Intake
Cosmetics - Eagle Eye Headlghts with 8K HID bulbs, CCFL Foglights with stage 3 LED bulbs, Carbon Fiber Bowtie, 20x8.5 by 20x10.5 XO Berlin Wheels, Gloss Black ZL1 spoiler, ZL1 Manual steering wheel, Leather shift knob with red stitching, Suede shift boot with red stitching, 4 pack auxilary Guages, Elite Catch Can more coming soon....
rgrmoreira13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 04:23 PM   #168
Go big or Go home
 
Go big or Go home's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: South Miami, FL
Posts: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aequitas & Veritas View Post
Might be in your future? But I do love everything you've done to your car so far

But I am drawn to white Camaros, but your's looks great

Hence I keep coming back now that I see an update
I've considered it but haven't committed yet haha!
Thank you so much! There's a ton of threads on here so I really appreciate you checking my updates
__________________
Go big or Go home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 04:42 PM   #169
Go big or Go home
 
Go big or Go home's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: South Miami, FL
Posts: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrmoreira13 View Post
yes I go to Towers up in Davie once in a while. I also go to Hooters and Horsepower up in Sunrise. Yes hopefully we can meet in a car show soon. I would love to see your personally and ask you questions in aspect what you have done in your car. Respect in you doing everything for yourself. I can appreciate people in wanting to get their hands dirty.

I use to go to Towers quite a bit but I haven't gone in a while. It comes to mind at least a couple times a month to go but for some reason I don't end up going haha! I definitely need to go out to it more! I'm always down for car talk

Personally, I think getting your hands dirty is half the fun.. maybe more haha! Everyone is always surprised to hear that I know my way around a shop. I weld, plasma cut, use grinders.. everything haha!
__________________
Go big or Go home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:43 AM   #170
rgrmoreira13
 
rgrmoreira13's Avatar
 
Drives: Tumbler
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Miami WADE County
Posts: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go big or Go home View Post
I use to go to Towers quite a bit but I haven't gone in a while. It comes to mind at least a couple times a month to go but for some reason I don't end up going haha! I definitely need to go out to it more! I'm always down for car talk

Personally, I think getting your hands dirty is half the fun.. maybe more haha! Everyone is always surprised to hear that I know my way around a shop. I weld, plasma cut, use grinders.. everything haha!
Damn that is crazy. I can't even do that. LOL I am more of a PC guy, fixing networks, PC etc. It is indeed very rare to find a woman to know her way in a car garage. Like I said more respect to you in doing everything to your car. You can honestly say "I did all of this to my car"
__________________
My build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312830

Performance- Roto-Fab Cold Air Intake
Cosmetics - Eagle Eye Headlghts with 8K HID bulbs, CCFL Foglights with stage 3 LED bulbs, Carbon Fiber Bowtie, 20x8.5 by 20x10.5 XO Berlin Wheels, Gloss Black ZL1 spoiler, ZL1 Manual steering wheel, Leather shift knob with red stitching, Suede shift boot with red stitching, 4 pack auxilary Guages, Elite Catch Can more coming soon....
rgrmoreira13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:39 PM   #171
Go big or Go home
 
Go big or Go home's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: South Miami, FL
Posts: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrmoreira13 View Post
Damn that is crazy. I can't even do that. LOL I am more of a PC guy, fixing networks, PC etc. It is indeed very rare to find a woman to know her way in a car garage. Like I said more respect to you in doing everything to your car. You can honestly say "I did all of this to my car"
Haha! Hey being good with computers is very respectable too! Whether it's cars or PCs, it's always a good feeling to fix or build something yourself
__________________
Go big or Go home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:25 PM   #172
Go big or Go home
 
Go big or Go home's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: South Miami, FL
Posts: 457
Took my car out to the Elite Import Bash - Domestic vs Import car show this past weekend. It was a great day... My car took home an award for "1st place GM 2-door Custom!











__________________
Go big or Go home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:04 PM   #173
OKCwhiteKnight
 
OKCwhiteKnight's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2LT RS Camaro 2007 HHR Panel
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 721
Very Nice,good to see a SW build,I need to get busy!
__________________


OKCwhiteKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:19 PM   #174
Aequitas & Veritas

 
Aequitas & Veritas's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Kansas
Posts: 2,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go big or Go home View Post
Took my car out to the Elite Import Bash - Domestic vs Import car show this past weekend. It was a great day... My car took home an award for "1st place GM 2-door Custom!



Congrats! Very well deserved!
Aequitas & Veritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:53 PM   #175
Go big or Go home
 
Go big or Go home's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: South Miami, FL
Posts: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKCwhiteKnight View Post
Very Nice,good to see a SW build,I need to get busy!
Thank you so much! Definienty… You gotta make your car your own!
__________________
Go big or Go home is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.