Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Jason 98 TA
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2013, 05:20 PM   #1
StevenM
I love my Camaro 2SS/RS
 
StevenM's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 44
2008 BMW 650i vs. 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS

Recently my coworker and I were having a discussion on which one of our cars would be faster in a straight line race. He owns a 2008 BMW 650i with the flappy paddle shifters and I own a 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS 6spd manual with a Hurst Shifter. His argument was that although on paper our cars were quite similar, he could go through gears quicker and put the power down more efficiently. I on the other hand argued that I have between 60 and 80 more horsepower, and while both our cars are quite heavy, my torque figures would prove victory. So one day we decided to put our cars to the test.

After finding a proper location to have our trials, we agreed that we would do a rolling start at 60mph and up to 130 mph.

Race 1: Since I had just bought the Camaro and this being my first manual car, I was hesitant that I would win. From 60-100mph, we were about even, but from 100-130, I pulled away and won by about the length of 3-4 feet.

My coworker made the excuse that while he had manual mode on, he did not engage sport mode, limiting his power. So he had a trick up his sleeve. But I did some research and I found out that I made the mistake of going into 5th gear. The 2013 Camaro 2SS can reach its top speed of 155mph in 4th gear, and had I stayed in 4th, I would have had an even larger victory in Race 1.

Race 2: At a rolling start of 60, the BMW had sport mode engaged, and I made sure to only use 3rd and 4th gear. From 60-115mph it was extremely close, however staying in 4th gear made a huge difference. From 115-135mph I pulled away and beat my coworker by about 6 feet.

Results: Don't buy a $92,000 BMW and try to race a $40,000 Camaro.



Just a note: A 2008 BMW 650i was worth $92,000 in 2008. The depreciation rate is so ridiculous that it is now worth between $24,000 - $30,000. Depending on options & mileage.

Another note: We did not do this on a public street or highway. We both agreed that we wanted to stay out of jail so we found a old airport near where we work.
StevenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:26 PM   #2
Biscuitpie

 
Biscuitpie's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 Cammed LS3, '14 Scion FRS
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 759
I beat an M6 several times before my cam. Your coworker had no chance.
__________________

SOLD with a Z06 in the not too distant future: Cammed, boltons, axles, lowered, and more. | 476 WHP
Biscuitpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:28 PM   #3
WLNY
 
Drives: ZL1
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 135
All M cars are posers these days. I've had some but recently got a ZL1. Still have a BMW 528 for a DD. Great luxury cars but not so great performance cars.
WLNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:01 PM   #4
mikeSS


 
mikeSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3, 2015 c7
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 7,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by WLNY View Post
All M cars are posers these days. I've had some but recently got a ZL1. Still have a BMW 528 for a DD. Great luxury cars but not so great performance cars.
I recently got a 2013 M3 and i can say you are wrong. They are great performance cars. But i know where people like you are coming from, American muslce is for sure where its at right now. But again its a luxury car and sports car. not to metion you dont see them on every block.

M cars will never go fastest for the money where corvettes, mustangs etc will. As they are made that way. M cars are like Porsches.

and to the OP. a 6 series is a luxury car don't let anyone tell you other wise.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:04 AM   #5
62nalide


 
62nalide's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 SS
Join Date: May 2013
Location: DFW
Posts: 3,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
I recently got a 2013 M3 and i can say you are wrong. They are great performance cars. But i know where people like you are coming from, American muslce is for sure where its at right now. But again its a luxury car and sports car. not to metion you dont see them on every block.

M cars will never go fastest for the money where corvettes, mustangs etc will. As they are made that way. M cars are like Porsches.

and to the OP. a 6 series is a luxury car don't let anyone tell you other wise.
Your right you don't see them because they break down like what every other year? My girlfriend has had them all Ms from 1990s to 2007 untill she was tired of paying BIG money to repair them, not to mention they lose like $15k in value in a few months.
__________________
[B][COLOR=Blue] 10.73 @ 127.03 N/A

Last edited by 62nalide; 06-05-2013 at 12:20 AM.
62nalide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:08 AM   #6
62nalide


 
62nalide's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 SS
Join Date: May 2013
Location: DFW
Posts: 3,504
Here is my L99 dragging a 2012 M3 pretty bad,

__________________
[B][COLOR=Blue] 10.73 @ 127.03 N/A
62nalide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:44 AM   #7
mikeSS


 
mikeSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3, 2015 c7
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 7,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62nalide View Post
Your right you don't see them because they break down like what every other year? My girlfriend has had them all Ms from 1990s to 2007 untill she was tired of paying BIG money to repair them, not to mention they lose like $15k in value in a few months.
They have gotten better in that way.

BUT I agree they are not the most reliable cars or cheapest cars to fix. but then again i would never buy a used/out of warranty M car. BMW Ms are not for everyone.

You can also take that troll pic down.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:51 AM   #8
62nalide


 
62nalide's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 SS
Join Date: May 2013
Location: DFW
Posts: 3,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
They have gotten better in that way.

BUT I agree they are not the most reliable cars or cheapest cars to fix. but then again i would never buy a used/out of warranty M car. BMW Ms are not for everyone.

You can also take that troll pic down.
They sure are nice head turners for sure, not a troll pic that is really my car happened this Sunday
__________________
[B][COLOR=Blue] 10.73 @ 127.03 N/A
62nalide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:52 AM   #9
mikeSS


 
mikeSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3, 2015 c7
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 7,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62nalide View Post
They sure are nice head turners for sure, not a troll pic that is really my car happened this Sunday
Well we both know M3s are not THAT slow. unless you are modded.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:57 AM   #10
62nalide


 
62nalide's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 SS
Join Date: May 2013
Location: DFW
Posts: 3,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
Well we both know M3s are not THAT slow. unless you are modded.
I have a Rhino79 VVT tune ADM intake and ported T-body best time that night was a 8.37 his best was an 8.66 in the 1/8th
__________________
[B][COLOR=Blue] 10.73 @ 127.03 N/A
62nalide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:58 AM   #11
Blue10CamaroSS
454 RWHP 448 TQ
 
Blue10CamaroSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: East Brunswick, New Jersey
Posts: 2,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenM View Post
Results: Don't buy a $92,000 BMW and try to race a $40,000 Camaro.
I'll come down to MD with the $92,000 Corvette 427 and challenge his $92,000 BMW.

this way the Price tags are the same
__________________
Blue10CamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:09 AM   #12
mikeSS


 
mikeSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3, 2015 c7
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 7,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62nalide View Post
I have a Rhino79 VVT tune ADM intake and ported T-body best time that night was a 8.37 his best was an 8.66 in the 1/8th
Ya a l99 with little mods is going to give it a run for its money. the m3 is going to need DCT and little mods to be faster. DCT is key. mine has DCT, trust me its nuts.

but again they are not drag cars. Muscle cars beating expensive European cars is nothing new. ALthough i KNOW the m3 is going to be faster around a track and in the luxury department. Just a different car, for a different person.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:25 AM   #13
62nalide


 
62nalide's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 SS
Join Date: May 2013
Location: DFW
Posts: 3,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
Ya a l99 with little mods is going to give it a run for its money. the m3 is going to need DCT and little mods to be faster. DCT is key. mine has DCT, trust me its nuts.

but again they are not drag cars. Muscle cars beating expensive European cars is nothing new. ALthough i KNOW the m3 is going to be faster around a track and in the luxury department. Just a different car, for a different person.
Correct, glad you mentioned that, this guy was pissed! even though the camaro does very well on a road corse. BMWs is NOT a drag car. They perform well in different type of courses not to mention they handle very well in high speeds and they are more like a status type car, my girlfriend makes like 3 times more than me :( lol but she was all about BMWs now she became a Caddy person this year. I myself won't get one for 1 they cost too much for me to even think about getting one and 2 I buy nothing but american cars again not bashing on european cars I'm not the euro luxury car type, I just like looking at them.
__________________
[B][COLOR=Blue] 10.73 @ 127.03 N/A
62nalide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:57 AM   #14
WLNY
 
Drives: ZL1
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
I recently got a 2013 M3 and i can say you are wrong. They are great performance cars. But i know where people like you are coming from, American muslce is for sure where its at right now. But again its a luxury car and sports car. not to metion you dont see them on every block.

M cars will never go fastest for the money where corvettes, mustangs etc will. As they are made that way. M cars are like Porsches.

and to the OP. a 6 series is a luxury car don't let anyone tell you other wise.
I've owned and currently own a BMW for the last 10 years. I needed a 2nd car to do along with my 2013 528i which is a great car. I looked at the M3 but the ZL1 is just a better sports car. M cars used to be great but other cars have passed them.
WLNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:38 PM   #15
snickerdoodle
 
Drives: 2013 1LE AGM 2SS RS M6
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
Ya a l99 with little mods is going to give it a run for its money. the m3 is going to need DCT and little mods to be faster. DCT is key. mine has DCT, trust me its nuts.

but again they are not drag cars. Muscle cars beating expensive European cars is nothing new. ALthough i KNOW the m3 is going to be faster around a track and in the luxury department. Just a different car, for a different person.
No where near quicker than a 1LE around a track sorry bud.
snickerdoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:04 PM   #16
Biscuitpie

 
Biscuitpie's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 Cammed LS3, '14 Scion FRS
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue10CamaroSS View Post
I'll come down to MD with the $92,000 Corvette 427 and challenge his $92,000 BMW.

this way the Price tags are the same
92000 for a 427? What a ripoff. I'd rather have a Z06 and they're like 70 new, sub 40 used.
__________________

SOLD with a Z06 in the not too distant future: Cammed, boltons, axles, lowered, and more. | 476 WHP
Biscuitpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:27 PM   #17
Blue10CamaroSS
454 RWHP 448 TQ
 
Blue10CamaroSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: East Brunswick, New Jersey
Posts: 2,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuitpie View Post
92000 for a 427? What a ripoff. I'd rather have a Z06 and they're like 70 new, sub 40 used.
The 427 starts at $76K but we got the 1SC package and 60th anniversary edition package plus some additional options. Brought total MSRP to just under $92K. We got it for just over dealer cost which was $84K.
__________________
Blue10CamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.