Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
JDP Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2013, 01:33 PM   #15
ZED SLED


 
ZED SLED's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1 Vert M6, 2015 Terrain
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Cortland, NY
Posts: 5,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by djnice View Post
Seems the tape doesn't stick well to the plastic. How do you guys get it to stick? Probably warm temp helps a lot?
I cleaned the surfaces (car and guards) with isopropyl alcohol then sprayed Duplicolor Adhesion Promoter on the surfaces before applying the tape. Didn't use the provided clips. They haven't came loose and looks like they never will.
__________________
Under hood airbrush by JT's Custom Paint Garage
Moroso CC, CAI Inc intake


(Click above image to learn about UpstateC5)

Last edited by ZED SLED; 07-11-2013 at 07:13 AM.
ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:11 PM   #16
tmandoug1
Deep Sea
 
tmandoug1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Palm Beach Gardens, Fl.
Posts: 969
Put mine on Saturday look great, waiting to see how they hold up with the tape.
tmandoug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:22 AM   #17
Oneslowz28
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1 #1265
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: McHenry, IL
Posts: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclark10 View Post
I cleaned the surfaces (car and guards) with isopropyl alcohol then sprayed 3M Adhesion Promoter on the surfaces before applying the tape. Didn't use the provided clips. They haven't came loose and looks like they never will.

This is the exact procedure to do. I put alcohol on both side before putting it on. Adhered it 1st to the body, left the backing on the tape till I got the angle I wanted then pulled it out. Im using clips and tape on mine.



Glad to hear yours are working out great Tmandoug1
Oneslowz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:28 AM   #18
BlackinBlack
 
BlackinBlack's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06 Blade Silver
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 723
Mine have been on for a few weeks. They work good and the price is right. Thanks Oneslow for making these.
__________________
2016 2LZ Z06 Blade Silver

2013 ZL1 BLACK on BLACK <SOLD>
Roto-Fab CAI

2010 2SS/RS BLACK on BLACK <SOLD>
3" MBRP 304 Stainless Exhaust
Roto-Fab CAI
BlackinBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:34 PM   #19
Oneslowz28
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1 #1265
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: McHenry, IL
Posts: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackinBlack View Post
Mine have been on for a few weeks. They work good and the price is right. Thanks Oneslow for making these.
Not a problem Im glad you like them!!
Oneslowz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:33 PM   #20
Skylane765
Splitter washers, jack pd

 
Skylane765's Avatar
 
Drives: 14 Z/28, Challenger Hellcat, C7ZO6
Join Date: May 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3,006
I have them on my car and used the 3m tape.
__________________
Skylane765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:23 AM   #21
spen5151
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 VR/ECF/Sunroof-Trad
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 134
Installed mine the other day and they look great! I used 3M tape rather than the clips. I also used adhesion promoter on the plastic to ensure the tape had a strong seal. They look great and do not look like they will come loose at all. Thank you for making these oneslow!
__________________
Traded:
2013 Camaro ZL1 Victory Red, Exposed Carbon Fiber, Sunroof


Traded:
2011 Camaro 2SS IOM, RS, Polished Rims, Sunroof, Black Stripes, Hurst Shifter
Mods: Borla ATAK Cat-Back, CAI Intake, Skip Shift Elim, Tint
spen5151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:35 PM   #22
Catfish
Catfish
 
Catfish's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1 #361
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 60
I made my own from flat truck/van rock guards I got at Advance Auto for $7.00. Trimmed them out similar to the ones in front of the front wheel and used existing screws. Added one near the top to hold it in place.
__________________
2012 ZL1 VIN# : 361
DELIVERED ON 4-12-12
Victory Red, Alum Wheels, Manual, Carbon Fiber Mohawk
Performance Mods to Date:
Rotofab cold air intake, Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers w/ Calico KoolBlack ceramic coating, Kooks high flow cats, Corsa 3" X-pipe cat-back exhaust, 160 degree thermostat, 2.50" Supercharger Pulley, PCM Catch Can, Rotofab Supercharger Reservoir, 1000cc Injectors, MSD Boost-a-Pump,Tuned by PCM of NC
604 RWHP & 622 RWT !!


Also, 2001 Silverado Z71, Pewter w/ Extended Cab & 2013 Chevy Cruise LTZ/RS White
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:09 AM   #23
2013zl1guy
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 109
I purchased some of the guards from ********** also. I think they are a perfect compromise between protection and how far they stick out (I'm not going for the rally car look). Instructions were included but it's a pretty straight forward mod. I also used the 3M molding tape, cleaned surfaces with rubbing alcohol and everything sticks great. I ended up using the retainer clips anyways as insurance, but when I had just the 3M tape it held very firm. I feel much better now knowing that I am NOT sandblasting the sides of my car anymore.

This is definitely the way to go if you don't want to spend over $100 for a $7 part that has been cut up, but you also may be lazy (like me) and don't want to spend the time measuring, shaping, cutting, and drilling. I chose to go the ~$50 route, which is my limit between buying a finished product and doing it myself. I honestly do not know why anyone would spend over $100 with this option available to them.

I bought the 3M tape from Walmart in the automotive section. I checked with the local Target and Home Depot first, but they did not have it.
2013zl1guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:52 PM   #24
Oneslowz28
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1 #1265
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: McHenry, IL
Posts: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by spen5151 View Post
Installed mine the other day and they look great! I used 3M tape rather than the clips. I also used adhesion promoter on the plastic to ensure the tape had a strong seal. They look great and do not look like they will come loose at all. Thank you for making these oneslow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013zl1guy View Post
I purchased some of the guards from ********** also. I think they are a perfect compromise between protection and how far they stick out (I'm not going for the rally car look). Instructions were included but it's a pretty straight forward mod. I also used the 3M molding tape, cleaned surfaces with rubbing alcohol and everything sticks great. I ended up using the retainer clips anyways as insurance, but when I had just the 3M tape it held very firm. I feel much better now knowing that I am NOT sandblasting the sides of my car anymore.

This is definitely the way to go if you don't want to spend over $100 for a $7 part that has been cut up, but you also may be lazy (like me) and don't want to spend the time measuring, shaping, cutting, and drilling. I chose to go the ~$50 route, which is my limit between buying a finished product and doing it myself. I honestly do not know why anyone would spend over $100 with this option available to them.

I bought the 3M tape from Walmart in the automotive section. I checked with the local Target and Home Depot first, but they did not have it.


Thanks for your purchases. Please post up some pics of them installed for us to see.
Oneslowz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:14 PM   #25
RexZL1
 
RexZL1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Austin
Posts: 124
Very nice, simple mod

I put these on the other day, they are a good addition. They're kinda pricey for what they are-small pieces of shaped plastic. But, I like supportin a person who is puttin energy toward makin my car look better
RexZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:19 PM   #26
Oneslowz28
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1 #1265
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: McHenry, IL
Posts: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexZL1 View Post
I put these on the other day, they are a good addition. They're kinda pricey for what they are-small pieces of shaped plastic. But, I like supportin a person who is puttin energy toward makin my car look better
Glad you like them. They are reasonably priced for what they are. There are others that are a lot more expensive for a similar product.
Oneslowz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:28 PM   #27
RedRS
 
RedRS's Avatar
 
Drives: Red RS with black stripes
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NE Indiana
Posts: 33
What are you guys using for the rear tires as far as splash guards? I have more stone chips at the rear than on the gill area.
RedRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:49 PM   #28
Oneslowz28
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1 #1265
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: McHenry, IL
Posts: 595
You can purchase the ZL1 rears from the dealer from my understanding. I believe they are a direct bolt in.
Oneslowz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.