Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Emblempros
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 11:42 AM   #76
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
I have a feeling my thoughts of getting Stainless Power headers to save a few bucks are out the door right now... lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Old 06-12-2013, 12:08 PM   #77
Camarojt

Drives: 2011camaro SS
I have a feeling the whole header debate of cheap cost vs the high brands is now gonna get tossed out the window! If there is a clear difference in gains, NOW it changes the reasoning behind which header you pick! Can't wait to see more results and pics on these!
Old 06-12-2013, 12:25 PM   #78
Juice2SS

Drives: 2011 2SS
I'll be getting these to go with my VVT cam for sure. I love the Tri-Y design. Time to roast some Mustangs in October.

GPI Intake and Cam for sale. PM me if you want either. Going to LS9 and LSA.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:25 PM   #79
steveo9043

Drives: 2012 45th AE 2SS Coupe
I kept looking at how these were tri y's but I finally see in this picture (right below) how they go from 4-2 right at the end then 2-1 almost instantly (when comparing to doug thorley's)

Pretty interesting when you compare the two tri y's

notice how the DT's go from 4-2-1 with a more even distance apart.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:18 PM   #80
CausticGuy

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarojt View Post
I have a feeling the whole header debate of cheap cost vs the high brands is now gonna get tossed out the window! If there is a clear difference in gains, NOW it changes the reasoning behind which header you pick! Can't wait to see more results and pics on these!
Not that these wont be great and maybe better but didn't KOOKS stepped headers already do this?
Old 06-12-2013, 06:28 PM   #81
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo9043 View Post
I kept looking at how these were tri y's but I finally see in this picture (right below) how they go from 4-2 right at the end then 2-1 almost instantly (when comparing to doug thorley's)

It would be interesting to see these two tested side by side,

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:42 PM   #82
Camarojt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CausticGuy View Post
Not that these wont be great and maybe better but didn't KOOKS stepped headers already do this?
I believe so, but the difference in hp was not as much as these. That's Y it will be interesting to see more results.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:49 PM   #83
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by CausticGuy View Post
Gains weren't as high. The Kooks stepped-headers are popular because they increase both low end and high end numbers, downside is that your max gains aren't as high.

Quote:
I believe so, but the difference in hp was not as much as these. That's Y it will be interesting to see more results.
no pun intended right? lol
Old 06-12-2013, 07:06 PM   #84
Camarojt

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
Gains weren't as high. The Kooks stepped-headers are popular because they increase both low end and high end numbers, downside is that your max gains aren't as high.

Exactly!! Lol
Old 06-12-2013, 07:16 PM   #85
2SSRSinBama

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Camaro CGM
Tri-Y is definitely the way to go... now its going to be a matter of cost for a lot of folks, the DTs are A LOT cheaper and as far as power, I picked up a dyno proven 37whp/45ft-lbs... so with either, the gains are real

i'm not going to get into a craftsmenship or any other debate... because these headers look like the real deal and probably superior to the Doug Thorleys, but lets be honest, through Doug Thorley I have my entire exhaust from header to tip(for $1200/shipped) which is less than these will hit the market just for the headers... so that is a real world issue, but then again, you pay for what you get...

I don't understand why people are still buying NON tri-y headers... you get MORE power, more torque, a low power band, etc... they are SUPERIOR people, have been for a WHILE now, across the board, camaros, mustangs, corvettes, you name it... Tri-Y

I don't have a whole lot on my car(stock converter, cam, etc.) but it runs STRONG for what it has... why? research... I buy parts that I know give gains... simple

and PFadt is known as a supplier that gives results, from their suspension to their headers... its all about results, getting your car from point a to b faster than the car in the other lane or on the track with you

2010 Camaro SS L99... has a few mods
Old 06-12-2013, 07:43 PM   #86
dekan513
chevy pride

Drives: 2ss/rs
Quote:
If Pfadt made them I'm willing to bet they're a perfect fit.
i agree 100% stig. pfadt is probably one of my favorite companies in the car world. always top notch and great ppl work there. if they do something its right.

check out ky speeds fb page https://www.facebook.com/kyspeed
Old 06-12-2013, 09:07 PM   #87
ForgedReality
Envy

Drives: 2011 SGM 2SS/RS - Black hood/hockey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Ok, I would like to respectfully request that Pfadt slow down development because my credit cards are still a little hot to the touch, and I already have a nice set of headers, and... and I don't really NEED these, you know? And everything on the car is working perfectly right now and it would be silly to mess with that, right? And... and... I'm NOT addicted to modding; Pete from Pedders is WRONG, WRONG I TELL YOU!!!
Hey you wanna trade cars? I haven't installed my headers yet. You can just keep them and sell them or whatever you want. I'm sure you're tired of that old boring car by now anyway. XD
Old 06-12-2013, 10:14 PM   #88
BFASTNOTLAST

Drives: 2012 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo9043 View Post

I would say that PFadt has done the best job so far at creating a tri-y header. The DT brand is kind of a lame attempt to make a correct tri-y. These headers have been around the circle track scene since the early - mid 90's. Kind of amazing it took this long to become available for a street car. I understand not everyone has the budget to spend on a high dollar system, but if you do the tri-y is the way to go. I've attached a picture of a header from a circle track motor (not naming the series). You can appreciate the craftsmanship in all the merge collectors. The price tag on these bad boys cost's as much as most supercharger systems installed. At the end of the day you get what you pay for.

Kudos to PFadt for producing to the vette and 5th gen community!
Attached Images

Old 06-12-2013, 10:33 PM   #89
dekan513
chevy pride

Drives: 2ss/rs
sound clip on facebook pfadt site

check out ky speeds fb page https://www.facebook.com/kyspeed
Old 06-12-2013, 10:39 PM   #90
14pilot
Original Bumblebee Owner

Drives: 265hp ZX-14, 500hp Silverado, V-ROD
Lots of wind noise but you get the idea.
#5 - 2010 2SS/RS MN6 ABM #142-Silver Rallys-GFX / Med Titanium
My previous Camaros:
#4 - 1994 Z/28 6M Black over Arctic White / Graphite-Red Inserts - traded
#3 - 1981 Z/28 Bright Blue Metallic / Black - sold
#2 - 1970.5 RS Mulsanne Blue / Blue - endo crashed it and parted it out
#1 - 1967 RS Butternut Yellow w/ Black Bumblebee Stripe-RPO D91 / Parchment-Black - sold
Old 06-12-2013, 10:54 PM   #91
Nightmare2012
come find out;)

Drives: stockish 2012 camaro ss
Any solid dyno numbers vs a kooks or arh system?
Old 06-12-2013, 11:45 PM   #92
MarylandSpeed

Drives: 2012 ZL1 & 2010 2SS/RS
I am sure that Pfadt headers will be great. The engineer great products, and everything I have seen is really nice.

That being said, keep in mind that the numbers posted for Pfadt in this thread are on an LS3 Corvette, and it is not really right to look at that and say you will get 43 rwhp on a Camaro also. Also, it would not be accurate to compare it to a dyno posted of a Camaro. The Corvette Tri-Y headers are a different design, and also new 3" high flow X-pipe, which adds a few HP vs. what you would see in a Corvette.

That said, we have a pretty good history of data now that shows stepped headers make a around 8-10 more HP and ft/lb TQ than a standard header. We have done this tuned and unturned. I prefer untuned as there are less variables. The Tri-Y design has been around for a while, and there is also a lot of data out there. Pfadt makes the nicest set I have ever seen for sure.

Honestly, every time I have asked the mainstream companies about Tri Y's, they say they stay away because of the complexity it adds to production. SLP made a set for the Z06 for a few years an discontinued them. Again..seems like Pfadt addressed this and is happy with the design.

We sell Pfadt and have two Camaro's in house. Honestly, I have no issue testing them if I get a set and giving customers more data. I even posted the results of Kooks vs. Ebay headers though the results showed they made about the same peak power. I really don't care what you buy as long as it is a decent product, and we sold it to you

Quote:

Quote:

Last edited by MarylandSpeed; 06-12-2013 at 11:56 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:57 AM   #93
IPT

Drives: '02 Trailblazer, '12 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarylandSpeed View Post
I am sure that Pfadt headers will be great. The engineer great products, and everything I have seen is really nice.

That being said, keep in mind that the numbers posted for Pfadt in this thread are on an LS3 Corvette, and it is not really right to look at that and say you will get 43 rwhp on a Camaro also. Also, it would not be accurate to compare it to a dyno posted of a Camaro. The Corvette Tri-Y headers are a different design, and also new 3" high flow X-pipe, which adds a few HP vs. what you would see in a Corvette.

That said, we have a pretty good history of data now that shows stepped headers make a around 8-10 more HP and ft/lb TQ than a standard header. We have done this tuned and unturned. I prefer untuned as there are less variables. The Tri-Y design has been around for a while, and there is also a lot of data out there. Pfadt makes the nicest set I have ever seen for sure.

Honestly, every time I have asked the mainstream companies about Tri Y's, they say they stay away because of the complexity it adds to production. SLP made a set for the Z06 for a few years an discontinued them. Again..seems like Pfadt addressed this and is happy with the design.

We sell Pfadt and have two Camaro's in house. Honestly, I have no issue testing them if I get a set and giving customers more data. I even posted the results of Kooks vs. Ebay headers though the results showed they made about the same peak power. I really don't care what you buy as long as it is a decent product, and we sold it to you
Thanks for posting this. As a novice it was informative. From the other posts it appears this sort of design (Tri Y or stepped) can help make more power accross the entire (RPM?) range - more than a standard header, or am I miss reading/understanding? Also more on the top end too? I plan on doing headers next year so thius may help me decided what route to go!
Old 06-14-2013, 11:13 AM   #94
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Newer sound clip.....car is on the dyno this morning....I'll have that vid up shortly!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=ZcpOybQ-20Y
Old 06-14-2013, 11:26 AM   #95
PfadtRacing

Quote:
Hahahaha they will probably be priced around the other American made headers.
To make things even better:

We absolutely didn't take a single shortcut at all when designing and building these headers. The end result was a header that should realistically sell for 1850 or so to maintain the industry standard for margins.

In all honesty though, we decided to just scrap the margins and get a world class product to the market at an amazing price. We figured it would help the company in the long-run by building more brand loyalty and it would also start bringing attention back to what "Made in the USA" is all about. We've gotten really tired of seeing people trading quality for a few dollars and "modding" their car with cheaply made goods. The Camaro is an amazing car and the parts we put on it should be likewise.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:46 AM   #96
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by PfadtRacing View Post
Newer sound clip.....car is on the dyno this morning....I'll have that vid up shortly!

Here's the embedded version for all you folks too lazy to click links

Old 06-14-2013, 11:49 AM   #97
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:

That sounded good.

Quote:
To make things even better:

We absolutely didn't take a single shortcut at all when designing and building these headers. The end result was a header that should realistically sell for 1850 or so to maintain the industry standard for margins.

In all honesty though, we decided to just scrap the margins and get a world class product to the market at an amazing price. We figured it would help the company in the long-run by building more brand loyalty and it would also start bringing attention back to what "Made in the USA" is all about. We've gotten really tired of seeing people trading quality for a few dollars and "modding" their car with cheaply made goods. The Camaro is an amazing car and the parts we put on it should be likewise.
This sounds even better!

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 06-14-2013, 01:34 PM   #98
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black, aka "Big SexZ"
I want the headers and X pipe please!!! Add me to the list.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:36 PM   #99
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black, aka "Big SexZ"
Quote:

Was this sound clip with hi-flo cats or not?
Old 06-14-2013, 06:29 PM   #100
PfadtRacing

Guys we have our pricing on these and are taking pre-orders with special pricing. PM me or give us a ring! I'm waiting on a shop to email me our dyno results....I'll post them asap as well

Closed Thread