Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
SDPC
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2013, 08:31 AM   #15
pgustavson
Stop writing "vert", ffs!
 
pgustavson's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2LT Convertible
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Gambrills, MD
Posts: 1,341
It must be contagious...my car is in for the same issue. It already has the new design bag/top, etc. The drain tube is probably dislodged. Unfortunately, the top fabric constantly pops out of the assembly above the driver-side quarter window, and a small hole is forming above that area too. The dealer will be addressing some long standing paint/clearcoat issues as well, so I think they will have my car for a while. I have a heritage grille and new lower grille to install in addition to a cat-back, but I'm not going to bother with any of that if the top can't be satisfactorily dealt with. I'm beginning to consider trying to get out of this car, unfortunately...

Good luck to the OP and others - I hope your experience with your dealer has been as relatively worry free as mine has to this point.
__________________
Vararam | Vmax Ported TB | Ported IM | Vmax Black ICE-olator
pgustavson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:46 AM   #16
Algeron
 
Algeron's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 2SS/RS vert, 1998 Z28, 1991 RS
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgustavson View Post
I'm beginning to consider trying to get out of this car, unfortunately...
After the last drop off, I am starting to feel the same way. While she has been in the shop 19 of the ~130 days that I have owned her, and every shop visit has been something different, it is getting old. This is my 4th Camaro (5th if you count the Firebird in the middle and all prior had t-tops), and none of them have been in the shop this much. While the service writer is making sure things get done, having to wait 1.5 hours for a rental car last Friday actually had me looking around the lot at potential options. While I hate to make this comment, if I did get out of the car, I cannot see myself buying another Camaro vert at this point. Which means, I would have to go to another brand since with 2 little ones, I cannot justify a Vette for at least 5 more years.
__________________
2016 Red Hot 2SS convertible A8 MRC NPP
http://imgur.com/a/kurVF
Algeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:05 AM   #17
classicrockr
Pills are for Pansies
 
classicrockr's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 2LT/RS Hyper Blue Vert Camaro
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Havelock NC
Posts: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algeron View Post
After the last drop off, I am starting to feel the same way. While she has been in the shop 19 of the ~130 days that I have owned her, and every shop visit has been something different, it is getting old. This is my 4th Camaro (5th if you count the Firebird in the middle and all prior had t-tops), and none of them have been in the shop this much. While the service writer is making sure things get done, having to wait 1.5 hours for a rental car last Friday actually had me looking around the lot at potential options. While I hate to make this comment, if I did get out of the car, I cannot see myself buying another Camaro vert at this point. Which means, I would have to go to another brand since with 2 little ones, I cannot justify a Vette for at least 5 more years.
Same here, but if I did it now I'd be out $3,000. I'm waiting until I break even, & then see how the 13's have been. I probably won't buy another Camaro though, even if there aren't too many complaints on the 13's. I may just get a beater & save for the 2d year C7 Stingray Verts, which should be around 2016/2017.
classicrockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:42 AM   #18
Chevrolet Customer Svc


 
Chevrolet Customer Svc's Avatar
 
Drives: GM Vehicles
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 9,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgustavson View Post
It must be contagious...my car is in for the same issue. It already has the new design bag/top, etc. The drain tube is probably dislodged. Unfortunately, the top fabric constantly pops out of the assembly above the driver-side quarter window, and a small hole is forming above that area too. The dealer will be addressing some long standing paint/clearcoat issues as well, so I think they will have my car for a while. I have a heritage grille and new lower grille to install in addition to a cat-back, but I'm not going to bother with any of that if the top can't be satisfactorily dealt with. I'm beginning to consider trying to get out of this car, unfortunately...

Good luck to the OP and others - I hope your experience with your dealer has been as relatively worry free as mine has to this point.
Hello pgustavson,

Sorry to hear you've experienced some difficulties with your vehicle. I also see you are already in contact with your dealer which is great. If you like, I can get involved to see your situation through with you. Would just like to make sure your issues are taken care of. I would need some information from you which you can private message me. If there is any way I can possibly help, let me know.

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:47 AM   #19
Chevrolet Customer Svc


 
Chevrolet Customer Svc's Avatar
 
Drives: GM Vehicles
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 9,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algeron View Post
After the last drop off, I am starting to feel the same way. While she has been in the shop 19 of the ~130 days that I have owned her, and every shop visit has been something different, it is getting old. This is my 4th Camaro (5th if you count the Firebird in the middle and all prior had t-tops), and none of them have been in the shop this much. While the service writer is making sure things get done, having to wait 1.5 hours for a rental car last Friday actually had me looking around the lot at potential options. While I hate to make this comment, if I did get out of the car, I cannot see myself buying another Camaro vert at this point. Which means, I would have to go to another brand since with 2 little ones, I cannot justify a Vette for at least 5 more years.

Hello Algeron,

Sorry you're having top issue's as well. I can look into your situation as well. Could you please private message me your VIN, current mileage, name, address & involved dealer information? I will investigate this further for you.

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:45 PM   #20
Algeron
 
Algeron's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 2SS/RS vert, 1998 Z28, 1991 RS
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 681
Got mine back this afternoon. Their diagnosis was - "45 minute water test found a couple of drips 4 inches to the left of right a-pillar. Recheck weather strip found front weather strip not completely seated. Properly install front top weather strip and retest with water for 40 min. No other leaks found." Hopefully, this was the cause. I will recheck with the next heavy rain that we get.
__________________
2016 Red Hot 2SS convertible A8 MRC NPP
http://imgur.com/a/kurVF
Algeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:28 PM   #21
Michael Rophone
 
Michael Rophone's Avatar
 
Drives: Yes
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algeron View Post
Got mine back this afternoon. Their diagnosis was - "45 minute water test found a couple of drips 4 inches to the left of right a-pillar. Recheck weather strip found front weather strip not completely seated. Properly install front top weather strip and retest with water for 40 min. No other leaks found." Hopefully, this was the cause. I will recheck with the next heavy rain that we get.
Eighty-five minutes of "water testing"
Michael Rophone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:25 AM   #22
Algeron
 
Algeron's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 2SS/RS vert, 1998 Z28, 1991 RS
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rophone View Post
Eighty-five minutes of "water testing"
I know. We did have a downpour last night, but since the floor was not completely dry from the testing, I cannot tell if the rain had anything to do with it. For now, I have thrown the floor mat in trunk, and hope that everything will be completely dry within the next 24-48 hours, and then check with the next storm.
__________________
2016 Red Hot 2SS convertible A8 MRC NPP
http://imgur.com/a/kurVF
Algeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:08 AM   #23
classicrockr
Pills are for Pansies
 
classicrockr's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 2LT/RS Hyper Blue Vert Camaro
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Havelock NC
Posts: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rophone View Post
Eighty-five minutes of "water testing"
they might do it for so long in order to get different amounts of water at different intensities for different time periods.
classicrockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:35 AM   #24
cflbuckeye
 
Drives: 2012 Convertible Camaro 2SS w/RS
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Oviedo, FL
Posts: 172
I got a call from my dealer today and they said they need it for a couple more days. They said that the sealant added to the passenger door did seal, but they still see water penetration. So they are going to proceed with the deflector TSB (no idea what this is) and have to order new weather stripping and they are having it overnighted from Lansing Michigan. I "should" be able to pick it up on Friday, and I will be asking them to walk me through all the work they did.

In the mean time I am really enjoying the Chevy Malibu rental I have....not...
cflbuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:31 PM   #25
JR 1

 
JR 1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lake Orion, MI
Posts: 1,243
I had the same problem with mine as soon as I bought it, and I actually had 2 separate leaks. I work for GM and I talked to a tech at the proving grounds who worked in Camaro convertible development and he said 9 times out of 10 it is the drain hose not being installed properly. That was one of my leaks. I have a 2012 and it only has two drain tubes at the front that dump right into the 'wet' area of the quarter panel. Starting later in the 2012 model year GM added two additional drain tube which are routed through the trunk. The early design will keep your car dry if the tubes are fully inserted. If not fully inserted the water will end up in the rear foot wells. The tubes are very easy to check, and I'll try to post some pics.

My second leak was in the trunk area. There was not enough body sealer between two panels and resulted in a pretty good stream of water coming in under the tail lamp that would fill up the spare tire tub. This kind of leak is not so common.

Bottom line, if your foot wells are wet and the dealer tells you it is something other than the drain tube I would be suspicious that they didn't find the real problem.

Last edited by JR 1; 06-12-2013 at 01:27 PM. Reason: mispell
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:41 PM   #26
JR 1

 
JR 1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lake Orion, MI
Posts: 1,243
The front drain tubes are usually the source of leaks, but they are easy to check. Just pop off the top outboard trim piece, you don't even need any tools. It is buried down low, but you can see it if you know where to look.
Attached Images
   
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:47 PM   #27
Algeron
 
Algeron's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 2SS/RS vert, 1998 Z28, 1991 RS
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR 1 View Post
Bottom line, if your foot wells are wet and the dealer tells you it is something other than the drain tube I would be suspicious that they didn't find the real problem.
This is what I was expecting them to tell me. Seeing a leak 4 inches from the A pillar would make me think the front floor board would be wet or under the passenger seat. Both of these areas were dry. As it is, all I can do is wait until I can see if it is damp again.

However, I would love to see pics on how to check the drain tubes. I saw someone post pics in the past, but I only remember seeing tubes in the trunk area. Since my car is a late model 2011 (built in May), I would think I only have 2 drains.
__________________
2016 Red Hot 2SS convertible A8 MRC NPP
http://imgur.com/a/kurVF
Algeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:51 PM   #28
cflbuckeye
 
Drives: 2012 Convertible Camaro 2SS w/RS
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Oviedo, FL
Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR 1 View Post
I had the same problem with mine as soon as I bought it, and I actually had 2 separate leaks. I work for GM and I talked to a tech at the proving grounds who worked in Camaro convertible development and he said 9 times out of 10 it is the drain hose not being installed properly. That was one of my leaks. I have a 2012 and it only has two drain tubes at the front that dump right into the 'wet' area of the quarter panel. Starting later in the 2012 model year GM added two additional drain tube which are routed through the trunk. The early design will keep your car dry if the tubes are fully inserted. If not fully inserted the water will end up in the rear foot wells. The tubes are very easy to check, and I'll try to post some pics.

My second leak was in the trunk area. There was not enough body sealer between two panels and resulted in a pretty good stream of water coming in under the tail lamp that would fill up the spare tire tub. This kind of leak is not so common.

Bottom line, if your foot wells are wet and the dealer tells you it is something other than the drain tube I would be suspicious that they didn't find the real problem.
That was my concern and I have mentioned the drain lines several times (to the point that the service adviser I am working with is getting a little annoyed, and him and I have had a great rapport since I bought the car). I will have some confidence in their finding until it's obvious that I can't, and I may check the drain lines on my own.

Thanks for providing pictures on how to check them...this is awesome info!
cflbuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.