Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Rick@Livernois
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum All audio, video, bluetooth, nav, radar, and electronics discussions.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:54 PM   #1
GoldFire
Newborn Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS Camaro
Question Is something wrong with my XM?

I was under the impression that XM's sound quality would be at least somewhat better than regular radio, but it is quite noticeably worse than radio. Could something be wrong with the receive in my car, or is that just how it is?
Old 06-29-2009, 10:58 PM   #2
RoRo

Drives: 2005 Corvette Lemans Blue
I think this is a general problem with sat radio. Corvettes suffer from the same problem.

Current car: 2005 Chevrolet Corvette coupe...lots of bolt ons....pretty quick
RoRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:59 PM   #3
CamaroLover21
South Florida Camaro5

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT Camaro
Send a message via AIM to CamaroLover21
Yea ive noticed that too. it is so much quieter.
CamaroLover21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 11:01 PM   #4
GoldFire
Newborn Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroLover21 View Post
Yea ive noticed that too. it is so much quieter.
Is yours just quieter or is the quality worse as well?
Old 06-30-2009, 02:50 AM   #5
jtnwevo

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
XM-Sirius compress the hell of their stuff. This means the sound quality is piss-poor. Has nothing to do with the particular car or sound system.

I am more annoyed with the fact that as a long time Sirius subscriber I can't add my Camaro radio to my account but must setup a new XM account at full price, despite the fact that they are the SAME company....
jtnwevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 07:24 AM   #6
LadiesMan217

Drives: '10 IOM/IO 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtnwevo View Post
XM-Sirius compress the hell of their stuff. This means the sound quality is piss-poor. Has nothing to do with the particular car or sound system.

I am more annoyed with the fact that as a long time Sirius subscriber I can't add my Camaro radio to my account but must setup a new XM account at full price, despite the fact that they are the SAME company....
Yeah, that isn't right. They really have us by the shorthairs.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:29 AM   #7
Rockytophummer

Drives: 2006 Hummer H2 2010 2SS Camaro
Haven't listened to it much in my camaro but it was better quality in my H2 I had. But it also had a much better sound system in Bose. I'm very dissapointed they didn't go with the Bose system in the camaro. Don't know if that's reason or not butjust thought I'd throw that out there.
Rockytophummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:12 AM   #8
badkarma

Drives: 2010 SIM 2SS Camaro
XM quality used to be better. Different stations vary with quality. Some use really high compression sources. (I'd still like to have their music library though

With the increase in channels, I think most of them had to go to lower bitrates. How much they compress at the satellite to receiver is a good question too, I haven't researched it

I first got it back in 04 and it was much better than FM. Now they are about the same for me. But no commercials and stupid DJ to DJ banter is worth the cost. If I remember correctly it started losing quality around 06 ish
badkarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:29 AM   #9
Camar0wn3d
formerly "wh0rsep0wer"

Drives: 2010 1SS RS CGM
Don't forget that the tone settings you set up for regular radio don't carry over when you listen to XM - you have to set those settings up separately.

That being said, XM's sound quality still sucks due to all the compression. Especially since we have tweeters in the car, the imperfections in the high frequencies is definitely annoying.

I got into this discussion with the guys from the stereo shop that installed my tint and they said that the sound quality of Sirius signals is much better.

2012 2LS - I'm back in BLACK!
Camar0wn3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:58 PM   #10
SeaShell

Drives: Firebird
wh0rsep0wer, you said:

Don't forget that the tone settings you set up for regular radio don't carry over when you listen to XM - you have to set those settings up separately.

I just got my car this past Saturday but came to the forum because my XM seems to have too much bass. (i'm one of those old ladies when it comes to that :-)) Can you give a quick place to go to adjust the XM? I've adjusted my FM stations but as you say, it didn't carry over. Thanks.
SeaShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:01 PM   #11
faninc

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS in SIM
I noticed I had to reset my treble and bass settings on XM, they reverted to flat and helped make sound even worse. For some reason the bass and treble settings from FM did not carry over to the XM band?

Overall, sound is still not very high quality.

best
J
faninc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:08 PM   #12
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
I thought it was just me but Sirius DEFINITELY sounds noticeably better.... Oh well nothin you can do if you want satelite radio. Maybe they will eliminate some channels to free up some bandwidth and uncompress it a bit.
I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks. Years later, a doctor will tell me that I have an I.Q. of 48 and am what some people call mentally retarded.

2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS - Daily Driver
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1993 Volkswagen Fox - Race Car (yes seriously)

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:16 PM   #13
patriotpa
Account Suspended

Drives: 02 Silverado, 09 Vue, 10 1SS
Location: Tired of apologizing when we should be kickin' butt!
It's most likely due to source compression. More compression=more channels over the same satellite bandwidth. More channels in the same bandwidth=larger selection without having to pay to launch another bird. I like the channels that cater to my musical tastes, but I wish it was CD quality sound. It isn't. It's roughly equivalent to 128K MP3. If they bumped it to 192K you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.
patriotpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:18 PM   #14
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotpa View Post
It's most likely due to source compression. More compression=more channels over the same satellite bandwidth. More channels in the same bandwidth=larger selection without having to pay to launch another bird. I like the channels that cater to my musical tastes, but I wish it was CD quality sound. It isn't. It's roughly equivalent to 128K MP3. If they bumped it to 192K you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.
I noticed high power FM stations sound as good as if not better... Also the low quality makes my rear speakers rattle. :( I wish it was sirius instead....
I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks. Years later, a doctor will tell me that I have an I.Q. of 48 and am what some people call mentally retarded.

Old 07-01-2009, 01:38 PM   #15
Camar0wn3d
formerly "wh0rsep0wer"

Drives: 2010 1SS RS CGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaShell View Post
wh0rsep0wer, you said:

I just got my car this past Saturday but came to the forum because my XM seems to have too much bass. (i'm one of those old ladies when it comes to that :-)) Can you give a quick place to go to adjust the XM? I've adjusted my FM stations but as you say, it didn't carry over. Thanks.
No problem...all you have to do is tune in to a XM station and then hit the TONE button on the radio. You can then set the tone settings the same way you did with the FM Stations. I'm telling you this from my memory so if that doesn't work out for you let me know.

2012 2LS - I'm back in BLACK!
Camar0wn3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:41 PM   #16
SoloSK71

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Yep, def. want an XM to Sirius brain transplant for mine when it gets here.

- SK
- Good money, bad girls. How can life be any better?
- God saves. The devil invests.

- This may be the ultimate guide to problem solving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyCarlo View Post
it's not a WD-40 problem, so it's got to be a duct tape problem
SoloSK71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:19 AM   #17
Icefsh

Drives: CGM 2LT/RS M6
Wow - not impressed with XM sound quality! The AM band almost sounds as good. Do they even broadcast in stereo? That said, I do like the selections. Just wish the quality were there.
Icefsh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:55 AM   #18
Nexus6
More human than human

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
If you have an iphone you can log in to your account and listen to XM OR Sirius through the APP.I haven't tested it in a camaro yet,but it works ok on my Alpine IVA-W205.I just choose the iphone as my source,after it starts playing,i open the app.Then the music fades out and the music from the APP starts playing.

1100 - 10/22/2008
3000 - 05/27/2009
3300 - 06/06/2009
3800 - 06/29/2009
4B00 - 06/29/2009

Warehouse 13 survivor

Blood stains,speed kills,fast cars,cheap thrills,rich women,fine wine,i lost my sense i lost control i lost my
mind.
Nexus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 01:20 AM   #19
BackinBlack
KASPR

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS RS LS3
The volume of the source selected (AM/FM/XM/CD) will always vary, and that may be what you preceive as a sound difference.

XM is definately compressing more than they used to, because they have had to make room for more data for XMNavTraffic and some other channels fit in the same bandwidth. There are ways to artificially expand the pipeline to the car, which Sirius did when it launched backseat TV with Chrysler. XM is very likely going to come out with something similar soon, but only the new receivers will benefit. Our Camaros will not have the internal hardware/software to benefit.
BackinBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:42 AM   #20
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlack View Post
The volume of the source selected (AM/FM/XM/CD) will always vary, and that may be what you preceive as a sound difference.

XM is definately compressing more than they used to, because they have had to make room for more data for XMNavTraffic and some other channels fit in the same bandwidth. There are ways to artificially expand the pipeline to the car, which Sirius did when it launched backseat TV with Chrysler. XM is very likely going to come out with something similar soon, but only the new receivers will benefit. Our Camaros will not have the internal hardware/software to benefit.
I had an older Sirius receiver and when they updated their systems I noticed differences in sound quality and reception, then the receiver broke and I had to get a new one anyway. I pray the same happens with XM....

I'm in a rental car for the next 2 days as the dealer is replacing my pass side rocker (defective) and i threw my Sirius receiver in with the antenna on top of the dash, not one dropout and better sound quality through the friggin FM transmitter... ARGH.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:03 AM   #21
rodimus prime
Account Suspended

Drives: Cargo van.
I thought you meant because it plays the same bands constantly.....like the real radio but worse. Im dropping this service, no way Im paying for bad sound quality and repetitive bands when I can get it for free on FM. I should never have to cycle through six rock stations to find one song from a band I know. Liquid metal=crap...90% metal bands Ive never heard of. Bone Yard seems to be stuck on Iron Maiden and Rush??? Hair Bands plays 10% Cinderella 5% popular bands and 85% unheard of hair bands. Classic Vinyl plays mostly the worst music from the 70's with a few good songs here and there. Lithium plays grunge music so unpopular you would have to be friends with the band to know who they are. ect ect.

Pandora's custom playlist seems to have a bigger and better selection and its free.

If I could pay per station I would do that to keep a couple channels, but its 90% useless.
rodimus prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 01:45 PM   #22
BackinBlack
KASPR

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
i threw my Sirius receiver in with the antenna on top of the dash, not one dropout and better sound quality through the friggin FM transmitter... ARGH.
Better sound quality/fidelity through FM tx than an in-vehicle system? That means something is horribly wrong. Should never happen.

Sirius satellites are not Geo-stationary, they're Low Earth Orbit. They send signals that typically come to your car from a higher elevation. In places with hills like SF this can be a benefit. But since those satellites are moving you won't always have a consistent reception because the geometry is always changing. They also have an issue with their repeater network being an afterthought. Sometimes they just don't do the trick based on the power and geometries involved.

Overall, the reception quality was better on XM models until around 2006 when Sirius started putting better tuners in to compensate for the issues they were having in the field. I consider them the same now. Which unit do you have?
BackinBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 03:47 PM   #23
third1
speed freak

Drives: 2012 Cadillac Escalade,10 IOM 2ss
I was give an older sirius tuner with a paid sub.That thing sucked FM converter was horrible. I only used it for the nascar station .
Current:2012 Cadilac Escalade.2011 CVO StreetGlide cammed,tuned&loud. 2010 IMO/IO,custom stripes,GFX,sunrf,solo exhaust,JBA shorties,rotofab,Jannetty tune,Pfadt,JLw6 Audison&Hertz,7/4/09 2GIFKIEJ6A9123779Del 7/10/09 Former Camaros 72 LT1 Z28, 86 z28
third1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 03:49 PM   #24
FNKNSTN
Banned

Drives: A Black Car
Get used to it
FNKNSTN is offline   Reply With Quote