Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Raymonds Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Old 02-08-2014, 02:18 PM   #1
Airmaster
Go Gators!

Drives: 13' Camaro 1LS
Question General Suspension Question

Hey guys, I'm a complete newb when it comes to suspension components and what not but I've been browsing and reading various threads on suspension info. Now I have some general questions to ask the pros here at Camaro5.

I currently have a stock suspension on my 2013 V6 1LS. I realize there are a ton of different parts out there each for a specific application but what are the most effective/simple changes I can make to my suspension?

My goal is to remove some of the body roll. I would like to reduce the overall feeling that I am driving an overweight car. At the same time I still want to be able to cruise the highways without getting jarred to death. As I look online and see all these different brands and options it kind of overwhelms me! I would like to see if I can get some good honest opinions.

For example, are used stock SS components a good deal, are there any brands that focus on mild upgrades but retain an "OEM" feel?

I appreciate any and all responses, if you have threads to direct me to feel free to link them!!
Old 02-08-2014, 02:22 PM   #2
SPCBA
Blake

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmaster View Post
Hey guys, I'm a complete newb when it comes to suspension components and what not but I've been browsing and reading various threads on suspension info. Now I have some general questions to ask the pros here at Camaro5.

I currently have a stock suspension on my 2013 V6 1LS. I realize there are a ton of different parts out there each for a specific application but what are the most effective/simple changes I can make to my suspension?

My goal is to remove some of the body roll. I would like to reduce the overall feeling that I am driving an overweight car. At the same time I still want to be able to cruise the highways without getting jarred to death. As I look online and see all these different brands and options it kind of overwhelms me! I would like to see if I can get some good honest opinions.

For example, are used stock SS components a good deal, are there any brands that focus on mild upgrades but retain an "OEM" feel?

I appreciate any and all responses, if you have threads to direct me to feel free to link them!!
If you do not track your car (and it looks like you have wheels and tires already) i would suggest an alignment, sways, springs and call it.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:45 PM   #3
Mvp_Me
I Use Three Pedals

Drives: 2011 VR M6
i am in the same boat. for springs im torn between BMR and Pfadt, i dont know which of them have the smoothest ride.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:18 PM   #4
jkchambless
Austin LT

Drives: 1LT - Airaid,JBA Axleback,VMax PTB
BMR, Pfadt, and Hotchkis are have stage 1 kits that include lowering springs and sway bars for a pretty good price point....the Hotchkis kit is next on my list.
jkchambless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 05:57 PM   #5
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Start off with some BMR Sways….front and rear. And work your way up from there. Within a short while, BMR will be selling some really nice adjustable Koni shocks coupled with their lowering springs that will make a tremendous difference in your suspension system.
QA1 DA Front Coilovers, Strange Engineering DA Rear Coilovers, Mike Norris Catch-Can, V-Max CNC PTB, Aeromotive Fuel Rails.
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:01 PM   #6
Airmaster
Go Gators!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
If you do not track your car (and it looks like you have wheels and tires already) i would suggest an alignment, sways, springs and call it.
Yep I guess I do have one upgrade in wheels and tires haha. Wasn't sure it that counted or not. Do you have a recommendation for sways and springs? With a common mechanic's toolbox would I be able to tackle the installation on my own?
Old 02-08-2014, 06:02 PM   #7
Airmaster
Go Gators!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazzin1 View Post
Start off with some BMR Sways….front and rear. And work your way up from there. Within a short while, BMR will be selling some really nice adjustable Koni shocks coupled with their lowering springs that will make a tremendous difference in your suspension system.
Sweet, thanks for the tips! Sounds like BMR and sways are a common suggestion thus far in this thread.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:06 PM   #8
SPCBA
Blake

Quote:
Yep I guess I do have one upgrade in wheels and tires haha. Wasn't sure it that counted or not. Do you have a recommendation for sways and springs? With a common mechanic's toolbox would I be able to tackle the installation on my own?
i would say more of a semi experienced home diy'ers toolbox. bmr is a popular brand and has a lot of happy customers if thats what you are leaning to
Old 02-09-2014, 12:04 PM   #9
Airmaster
Go Gators!

So you're saying its an easy part to install then?
Old 02-09-2014, 02:24 PM   #10
danvillekidd
2013 ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 m6
Yeah, sway bars are probably the easiest suspension mods to do.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:03 PM   #11
JDP Tyler

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:

Hotchkis, BMR and Pfadt are all great choices for stage 1 combos. Personally, I'd probably go for the Hotchkis stage 1 kit Part # 80115-1 The Hotchkis springs offer a 1" drop and in my opinion; are one of the best riding springs available.

If you do go with BMR, I would substitute the regular springs for their V6 specific springs.

The Pfadt equivalent is actually their stage 2, which is a great kit, just hard to find in stock.

We have hands on experience installing all 3 kits, please feel free to call, PM or email me anytime with questions.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
Old 02-10-2014, 04:33 PM   #12
Airmaster
Go Gators!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP Tyler View Post
Hotchkis, BMR and Pfadt are all great choices for stage 1 combos. Personally, I'd probably go for the Hotchkis stage 1 kit Part # 80115-1 The Hotchkis springs offer a 1" drop and in my opinion; are one of the best riding springs available.

If you do go with BMR, I would substitute the regular springs for their V6 specific springs.

The Pfadt equivalent is actually their stage 2, which is a great kit, just hard to find in stock.

We have hands on experience installing all 3 kits, please feel free to call, PM or email me anytime with questions.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
Are there any kits that will NOT lower the ride height? I only ask because if my car gets any lower I will be scraping my front splitter :/

And with that in mind, if they do exist, which ones would you suggest if I am wanting to stay stock height just with a sportier spring rate?
Old 02-10-2014, 05:34 PM   #13
JDP Tyler

Quote:

Quote:
Are there any kits that will NOT lower the ride height? I only ask because if my car gets any lower I will be scraping my front splitter :/

And with that in mind, if they do exist, which ones would you suggest if I am wanting to stay stock height just with a sportier spring rate?
None that I know of. 1" seems to be the standard starting point.

It just takes some practice and some good driving technique but you can successfully drive around a lowered car without any issues. Here in SLC, we have some really deep gutters and aggressive driveway approaches to accommodate for our yearly runoff. I've learned while driving lowered cars here throughout the years; taking things a little slower and at the proper angle really goes a long way.

One option that would work for the front would be to use a set of the Hotchkis spring spacers. But again, that would only lift the front and could potentially look funny..

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
Old 02-10-2014, 06:37 PM   #14
rockrau

Drives: 2010 2ss red
Front sway bar(27mm) & a proper wheel alignment (performance street) will help the car turn and reduce body roll. Springs or coil overs will help handling, but their higher spring rates will reduce ride comfort. My $0.02
rockrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:38 PM   #15
Lil' Nasty
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: Supercharged V6
Just to throw their name in the pot... LSR has great sways and are adjustable as well. Good pricing too...My favorite suspension mod for sure.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:44 PM   #16
SPCBA
Blake

Quote:

What splitter do you have? I am really low on coilovers with a zl1 nose and it has only hit dirt when i went off track hehe
Old 02-10-2014, 11:24 PM   #17
Airmaster
Go Gators!

I have the ACS T5 Splitter. It extends the nose so I actually sometimes hit it when I drive into awkwardly angled driveways/streets. Didn't actually lower the ride though.

How much would I lose in the handling game if I skip on springs and just do the sways? Would a tower brace help at all in addition to the sways??

Really appreciate all the input guys!
Old 02-11-2014, 10:03 AM   #18
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Quote:
How much would I lose in the handling game if I skip on springs and just do the sways? Would a tower brace help at all in addition to the sways??
Just start off with a good set of BMR sways and see how you like it! If you want more after that....then you can continue with more mods later. Suspension mods are best done in a gradual process....then at least you can tell what made the best improvement. Sways are good place to start!!!
QA1 DA Front Coilovers, Strange Engineering DA Rear Coilovers, Mike Norris Catch-Can, V-Max CNC PTB, Aeromotive Fuel Rails.
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:57 PM   #19
JDP Tyler

Quote:
I have the ACS T5 Splitter. It extends the nose so I actually sometimes hit it when I drive into awkwardly angled driveways/streets. Didn't actually lower the ride though.

Really appreciate all the input guys!
Sway bars even with out springs will make a huge difference; they are by far the best bang for the buck handling mod you can do.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
Old 02-11-2014, 12:59 PM   #20
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 10 Legacy 2.5GT, ...
Quote:

The easy answer would be to do just the sta-bars, and the adjustable Konis when they become available.

Norm
Norm Peterson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 01:39 PM   #21
Airmaster
Go Gators!

Cool, good to know where to start at least haha. How will those adjustable Konis work? Will they allow for a stock ride height? And did someone mention who makes them?
Old 02-12-2014, 02:48 PM   #22
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

The adjuster is typically a little flat blade that sticks out the top of the shock or strut shaft, and has somewhere between 2 and 2.5 turns of adjustment.

I have them on my car that's still on its OE springs, everything works just fine, and there is zero reason to believe that the 5th gen Camaro part numbers would be any different as far as this is concerned.

They were mentioned in one of the earlier posts, but I don't remember whose.

The adjusters typically look like the following (I just have it handy on another forum). The tool is my own DIY-fab and is better than the little white plastic knob adjusters that Koni ships with the dampers. The rear shock adjusters for an IRS car might need the car lifted for access from underneath, instead of being reached through the trunk as the picture shows.

Norm
Old 02-13-2014, 12:32 AM   #23
Airmaster
Go Gators!

What's the advantage to being able to adjust your OE springs? Can you change the spring rate and/or lower the car even with stock springs?
Old 02-13-2014, 06:07 AM   #24
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Adjusting the shocks and struts does not make any change to the springs at all, The adjustments are to the amount of damping provided by the shocks/struts that keeps the springs from continuing to bounce the car up and down after you hit a bump or a heave in the road.

The only way to vary ride height with either big springs or coilover springs is to raise or lower one of the seats that each spring sits in. Rate changes nearly always require a spring swap.

There are several reasons you might want to adjust the shock/strut damping. Firmer damping (up to a point, anyway) generally improves tire grip, softer damping offers somewhat better ride quality, adjustments can be used over time to compensate for internal shock/strut wear, and adjustments can be made unequally front vs rear to affect transient handling (those periods of time while the car is just entering a turn or going from pure cornering to straight ahead or to turning the other way).

Norm
Old 02-13-2014, 08:08 AM   #25
TXM62SS

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP Tyler View Post

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007

Tyler

I checked on your website and saw that the Hotchkis kit was listed for the 2010-2011. Will this one work with my 2012 SS? Thanks for your help!
Borla Touring Cat Back
Roto-Fab CAI
Texas Speed UD Pulley
3.91 1LE GM Gears
Tuned by Pat G

Last edited by TXM62SS; 02-13-2014 at 08:20 AM.
TXM62SS is offline   Reply With Quote