Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Hurst Shifters
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) Driveshafts | Differentials | Gears | Rearends | Clutch | Shifters

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2014, 06:51 PM   #1
Destructo09
 
Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Raleigh-Durham
Posts: 697
Cloudy clutch fluid (separate reservoir)

So over the weekend I installed the separate clutch fluid reservoir and used Motul RBF600 fluid.

I've been kinda checking it to see if I need to swap the fluid, i'm doing this instead of bleeding the clutch system.

I had noticed it darkened a bit earlier in the week but I checked it after getting home today and it looks cloudy.

It seems like this might be a sign of moisture getting in the system somewhere. Just not sure if it's getting in at the slave cylinder or at the reservoir?

Anybody else run into this situation? Maybe I just didn't tighten down the cap enough on the reservoir or something.
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:34 PM   #2
Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch
Owner SNL/Monster Clutch

 
Drives: 2014 SS
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Haslet, TX
Posts: 692
Moisture and clutch dust, this is a common occurrence and why I recommend a remote bleeder when installing a new/upgraded clutch. Bleeding the clutch every other oil change, at a minimum, is what we recommend. Much more often with aggressive driving.
__________________
We've got the clutch you need for your 5th Gen! If you have any questions just give us a shout, or, take a look at our site - http://monsterclutches.com/gen-5-cam...eet-multi-disc
Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:15 PM   #3
wakespeak
 
Drives: 2013 2SS LS3/NPP
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 685
I sucked out from the reservoir about 20 times and it is staying fairly clear now. There is break in dust that takes a while to clear out and the stock fluid is not up to it either.
wakespeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:10 AM   #4
BigBlock69RS
Ed
 
BigBlock69RS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 AGM Camaro 2SS/RS/1LE
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 742
What harm is there in the fluid being cloudy?
__________________
BigBlock69RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:21 AM   #5
Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch
Owner SNL/Monster Clutch

 
Drives: 2014 SS
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Haslet, TX
Posts: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakespeak View Post
I sucked out from the reservoir about 20 times and it is staying fairly clear now. There is break in dust that takes a while to clear out and the stock fluid is not up to it either.
DOT4 Non Synthetic, pick your poison on brand, look for the highest boiling point you can and stick with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlock69RS View Post
What harm is there in the fluid being cloudy?
Contaminants can cause many things, breaking down seals in the slave/hydraulic system and causing release issues being the two main ones.
__________________
We've got the clutch you need for your 5th Gen! If you have any questions just give us a shout, or, take a look at our site - http://monsterclutches.com/gen-5-cam...eet-multi-disc
Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:40 AM   #6
xtreme2s
 
Drives: Livernois 2010 2SS/RS
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Iowa City, Ia
Posts: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch View Post
Moisture and clutch dust, this is a common occurrence and why I recommend a remote bleeder when installing a new/upgraded clutch. Bleeding the clutch every other oil change, at a minimum, is what we recommend. Much more often with aggressive driving.

I've been watching the various threads on this issue. My M6, the 1-2 shift (when trans is cold) has the subtle grind, and slight on the 2-3 shift.

The remote res kit, and some big brake package is in my future considering everything else I've done....

So my question .... how does "dust" get into a sealed system? The moisture I understand.

I'm not a aggressive driver on the street, so just deal with it. But have ripped some fun on a auto-x, which stays in 2nd anyway, but this year for extra fun will do some jamming gears on the strip.
xtreme2s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:46 AM   #7
Destructo09
 
Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Raleigh-Durham
Posts: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme2s View Post
I've been watching the various threads on this issue. My M6, the 1-2 shift (when trans is cold) has the subtle grind, and slight on the 2-3 shift.

The remote res kit, and some big brake package is in my future considering everything else I've done....

So my question .... how does "dust" get into a sealed system? The moisture I understand.

I'm not a aggressive driver on the street, so just deal with it. But have ripped some fun on a auto-x, which stays in 2nd anyway, but this year for extra fun will do some jamming gears on the strip.
I think it most often happens during high rpm shifts when there's lots of clutch dust flying around the bell housing.

Seals can't keep everything out and clutch dust is very fine so some of it makes it past the seals on the slave cylinder. I believe the slave cylinder slides along the input shaft of the transmission so i'm sure clutch dust can stick to the shaft and then the seal rides over it.

I've noticed some improvement in the smoothness of my shifts after switching to Royal Purple Synchromax.

I don't think changing to the separate clutch reservoir actually helped any shifting but it will keep my brake fluid from getting filthy.
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:40 PM   #8
xtreme2s
 
Drives: Livernois 2010 2SS/RS
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Iowa City, Ia
Posts: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructo09 View Post
I think it most often happens during high rpm shifts when there's lots of clutch dust flying around the bell housing.

Seals can't keep everything out and clutch dust is very fine so some of it makes it past the seals on the slave cylinder. I believe the slave cylinder slides along the input shaft of the transmission so i'm sure clutch dust can stick to the shaft and then the seal rides over it.

I've noticed some improvement in the smoothness of my shifts after switching to Royal Purple Synchromax.

I don't think changing to the separate clutch reservoir actually helped any shifting but it will keep my brake fluid from getting filthy.


Aaah, never thought the dust from clutch into the seal would penetrate. Makes sense, and anything possible. I have aftermarket RAM in mine now. But will look into change of upgraded fluid in the tranny.

Thanks!
xtreme2s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:03 PM   #9
Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch
Owner SNL/Monster Clutch

 
Drives: 2014 SS
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Haslet, TX
Posts: 692
Very close, but, the slave cylinders seal slides up and down a shaft made into the slave itself. The dust gets behind the boot (fine particles as Destructo09 said) and sticks to the shaft, when the seals slides past it the dust is swept under the seal and contaminates the fluid.

I highly, highly recommend a remote reservoir for the hydraulic system on these!
__________________
We've got the clutch you need for your 5th Gen! If you have any questions just give us a shout, or, take a look at our site - http://monsterclutches.com/gen-5-cam...eet-multi-disc
Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.