Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

ADM PERFORMANCE
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

View Poll Results: IS A CATCH CAN POINTLESS
YES 19 18.10%
NO 86 81.90%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-13-2013, 10:14 AM   #26
JimiBlaze

Drives: 2013 BRM LS M6
For $155 and less than an hour install I was more than willing to make the investment. Now if these things were 3-400 dollars and I couldnt install myself, maybe I'd think twice about the benefits, but for the protection I have seen documented I think it is worth it.
JimiBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:00 PM   #27
gutterball

Drives: 2011 1LS M6 Supercharged
Send a message via AIM to gutterball
I was also a skeptic, but not anymore, When one of the members here purchased a ZL1, I bought the Catch can he had on his SS. I just emptied the Catch can the other day, and was amazed at how much Oil was in the Can. ( approx 4 Shot glasses full of Oil, in about 3000 miles)
gutterball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:26 PM   #28
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS
Alot of people on Camaro5 drink the koolaid with certain mods. Do the research yourself with the evidence C5 provides.

The catch can does work, it does serve a purpose, and its tangible. You should NOT have oil in your pcv system, and when you open the catch can and oil comes out, there's your proof.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:17 PM   #29
firestone_ss

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
how many of you are actually doing a tear down to see the difference? Drive your car like its made to be driven put good fuel in it, put good oil in it and go.
Take the money your spending on the catch can and use towards something you can feel, see or measure, just my two cents. Peace Brothers!
firestone_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:19 PM   #30
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by firestone_ss View Post
how many of you are actually doing a tear down to see the difference? Drive your car like its made to be driven put good fuel in it, put good oil in it and go.
Take the money your spending on the catch can and use towards something you can feel, see or measure, just my two cents. Peace Brothers!
you can see and measure the oil and blow by that get caught in the catch can, instead of going into the intake manifold/crankcase...so many pictures of c5 members is evidence. how hard is that to understand? lol
Old 06-13-2013, 01:51 PM   #31
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2014 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Good fuel and good gas have absolutely nothing to do with the fact that oil sludge is building up on your valves. Good gas with cleansing agents will help, but not stop it.

meissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:28 PM   #32
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Just get one
Old 06-13-2013, 04:29 PM   #33
DRKS1D3

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible LS3
Here's one for you guys: All internal combustion engines are basically the same thing (air in, mixes with the gas and spark=controlled explosion). Why aren't people putting catch cans on their minivans? ALL internal combustion engines should have one then right?
MY RIDE: 2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE (LS3)--K&N TYPHOON INTAKE, FLOWMASTER FORCE II EXHAUST, HYPERTECH MAX ENERGY 93 OCTANE TUNE, HOTCHKIS SUSPENSION, BLACKED OUT BOWTIES, GLOSS BLACK 20x9 STYLE 41 WHEELS

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:58 PM   #34
RonnieG

Drives: 2013 AGM 1LE/2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroKid300 View Post
They do on the new 1LEs
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
not true at all its a seperator and is installed for the oposite side of the catch can aka the clean side. catch can is for dirty side... goodjob for false info
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izach26 View Post
ok he was mistaken, no need for all the extra CHILL its all about learning, thanks for the update Good info
no.. its not ok... i got happy for no reason..

i had a catch can and then i didn't have one..

...ovbsulioy jkonig...

Last edited by RonnieG; 06-13-2013 at 04:59 PM. Reason: spacing
RonnieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:50 PM   #35
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Quote:
ill be the first to post it,,,,waste of time and money.Also have to think in some states this would be considered tampering with the emission system I know in Washington it would.
Absolutely false, unless it is one where the system is disabled or rendered non functional such as a breathered can, open breathers on the engine, or mixing the clean and dirtyside together and venting.

The few good proven cans maintain 100% emission's compliance AND improve tailpipe sniffer particulate PPM (as less is trying to be burned from the catalytic converter).

Quote:
I do...every day...7 days a week, day in and day out and have been doing this for over 38 years. I have also been involved in R&D and product development for a good part of this, am a former GM tech, and have years of relationships with engineers from GM/Ford/Chrysler and several European and Asian manufacturers.

I see it up close and personal every day.....here are a few pictures from techs from all over the world sharing what they see on engine tear downs of every make car & light truck, motorcycles, and 4 stroke modern outboards:

http://www.google.com/search?q=intak...w=2021&bih=875

Have tons of other pics in dozens of threads here so wont clog this one up with them, but DI or port injection, or old carbed....all benefit from stopping oil ingestion into the intake air charge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
Here's one for you guys: All internal combustion engines are basically the same thing (air in, mixes with the gas and spark=controlled explosion). Why aren't people putting catch cans on their minivans? ALL internal combustion engines should have one then right?
We do. Nearly every make and model car and light truck (gasoline powered) as well as Harley's and other motorcycles.

Fleet owners are some of our biggest customers just for the fuel savings (A/C, plumbing, electricians, etc.) as they lease most and don't care about the engine life improvement.....they do it for the proven fuel savings. (on average 1-3 mpg times 50k miles a year equals a ton of savings). Some we have done this back 8-190 years ago and they have brought back 2-3 times the new fleets for installation.

So other than a 2 stroke that is lubricated internal with oil formulated to mix with the fuel and be burned clean, there are no vehicles that cannot benefit from this.

Also, for years the huge diesels in freighters and locomotives use systems like the Alfa Laval (tens of thousands and the use a centrifuge to purify and reuse the oil trapped)

http://www.alfalaval.com/solution-fi...g-modules.aspx

Lots more links, but this is nothing new...and yes, our local dealer who buys them to prevent (and has them on COMPANY chev trucks!) has seen trade ins where the can has not been emptied and if the owner is not going to know how to service/empty the can they remove them.

So, good questions and points....keep them coming, and if you want more pictures, or better yet, if near FL stop in and we will show you the effects on your own motor for free (boroscope to see internally).

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:46 PM   #36
GuitarJozz

Drives: 2012 Chevy Camaro 2LS SIM
Send a message via Yahoo to GuitarJozz
Am I understanding this right? Since the V6's are direct injected, a catch can is HIGHLY recommended, but for the SS's it's not as necessary?
GuitarJozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:09 PM   #37
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2014 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
As stated numerous times - while it's definitely beneficial for all engines, it's IMPERATIVE with direct injection because just like you said -- air doesn't mix with gas in a direct injected engine, the gas is sprayed directly into the combustion chamber and hence never flows over the valves - so all that awesome oil sludge buildup has nothing to help cleanse it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarJozz View Post
Am I understanding this right? Since the V6's are direct injected, a catch can is HIGHLY recommended, but for the SS's it's not as necessary?
Pretty much -- changing what I said in my post awhile back, this applies to all of our cars:

1) Accept the fact that oil sludge is building up on your valves and rely on cleansing agents in the gas (ONLY applies to port injection engines IE the SS's and basically all GM gas engines prior to the LLT) and/or seafoam to clean the sludge off the valves (can apply to SS's and direct injection)

-OR-

2) Prevent the oil sludge from building up in the first place by buying an oil catch can

IMHO - regardless of direct injected or the older port injection method, an oil catch can is a great addition. With direct injected engines though, it's a MUST in my honest opinion.

I've put about 25,000 miles on my car since installing my oil catch can and the amount of oil I've drained out of it every time I change my oil is enough to make me a believer.

meissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:34 PM   #38
firestone_ss

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by meissen View Post
Good fuel and good gas have absolutely nothing to do with the fact that oil sludge is building up on your valves. Good gas with cleansing agents will help, but not stop it.
if you have sludge you have bigger issues, im simply saying that for the average person driving there Camaro this will not give you any measurable difference in performance, youre better off driving it like you stole it
firestone_ss is offline   Reply With Quote