Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Hines Performance (HPE)
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons For all LFX related parts

Old 06-13-2013, 05:00 PM   #1
Sledgehammer70

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LT RS
Send a message via Skype™ to Sledgehammer70
2013 Camaro 1LT RS Upgrades?

I am a proud owner of my new 2013 RS and am starting to buy a few upgrades. My problem is... I have fallen out of being a car guy for the last 14 years.

Now that I have a nice car again, I have started to look at brands I trusted in the past. But I would like feedback as this forum seems to be filled with helpful users and legit Camaro owners.

So here are a few items I am looking at and items I would love some direction on for more information.

Intake: K&N 69-4523TP Performance Intake Kit - Purchased this as I like the look and the cost was 1/2 of CAI's (I understand CAI is the better product, but I did not like the closed off box look. (personal preference I know...)

Exhaust: FlowMaster... MRT 2.0 I just don't know. I do know I want to do CAT back and get a nice deep sound.

Headers?: Can you put Headers on this thing? I took a peak at under the hood and under the car and it looks to just be one big ass hole coming out of the side. Thoughts?

SuperCharger: This would be a down the road upgrade, but would be nice to see any options if you can provide links. I have seen a few in the $6,000 range, but good lord are they really that pricey these days?

Last edited by Sledgehammer70; 06-13-2013 at 07:12 PM.
Sledgehammer70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:09 PM   #2
Sledgehammer70

Intake Scoop worth the cost? And how hard are they to install?

http://www.apex-speed.com/apex-motor...op-051411.html

Catch Cans? I have no idea where this would even install at? I am so lost, but it seems like a must with the Camaro. http://www.revxtreme.com/performance...le-check-valve

Last edited by Sledgehammer70; 06-13-2013 at 05:42 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:52 PM   #3
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer70 View Post
I am a proud owner of my new 2013 RS and am starting to buy a few upgrades. My problem is... I have fallen out of being a car guy for the last 14 years.
Sledgehammer70,

That is an awesome looking vehicle! Congratulations on your new 2013 Camaro RS. I'm sure you will enjoy every moment with it.

All the best,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:23 PM   #4
Sledgehammer70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
Sledgehammer70,

That is an awesome looking vehicle! Congratulations on your new 2013 Camaro RS. I'm sure you will enjoy every moment with it.

All the best,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Thank you!

Eibach Pro-Kit Springs (Before & After .gif)
Old 06-13-2013, 06:28 PM   #5
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
Nice car. Any name brand you choose is good. There are a lot of vendors on this site but I personally prefer to get my mods fom Jegs or Summit. No worries or hassles.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:40 PM   #6
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 08 Vue, 14 Spark
Nice car and welcome to the forum.
Just a little update in terminology since you say you have't been a car guy for 14 years.
You may remember that the LT1 is an engine designation for a 350 V8, what you have is a 1LT model designation for the first level LT trim level.
Just don't want someone to make light of you calling it a LT1.
Let the modding begin!

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:11 PM   #7
Sledgehammer70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Nice car and welcome to the forum.
Just a little update in terminology since you say you have't been a car guy for 14 years.
You may remember that the LT1 is an engine designation for a 350 V8, what you have is a 1LT model designation for the first level LT trim level.
Just don't want someone to make light of you calling it a LT1.
Let the modding begin!
Damn that having the terminology backwards. FIXED

Old 06-13-2013, 07:12 PM   #8
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Thank you!
No problem!

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:15 PM   #9
whaler

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LS
Nice car and congratulations! I am partial to white. Just got a 2LS last month.

My order of upgrades for your and my car would be:
  • Elite Oil Catch Can: $155 JDP Motorsports
  • Roto-FAB cold air intake with white airbox sides: Around $300, or CAI around $400
  • Flowmaster American Thunder axle back exhaust

All these can be installed without much skill and I think are vital vs. stock. You already have all the right cosmetic stuff with your trim package. Maybe the gauge cluster if you do not have it.

I will eventually start a thread about my mods.
Here is my car:
Attached Images

USA #1
PS 103

Last edited by whaler; 06-13-2013 at 07:26 PM.
whaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:17 PM   #10
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 08 Vue, 14 Spark
Quote:
Damn that having the terminology backwards. FIXED
My two favorite mods on mine are the ACS TL1 hood insert and my MRT V2 axel back exhaust.
I also have an RX Catch can and Ported Throttle body.

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:17 AM   #11
Vroom_vroom
The gritos pollo!!!

Drives: '12 camaro m6, '77 T/A m4
wish i would of found out about this sooner. very easy to do and it protects your doors very well as the paint on these cars are a bit notorious. you may not open your door into something but your passengers sure will!!!!
http://www.amazon.com/3M-84901-Scotc.../dp/B0017MGPLS

then the exhaust, catch can and a intake

'12 Camaro; Slp loud mouth I, Injen long ram intake.
'77 T/A 6.6, fully built,kre-d port heads,10.5 compression. well its just bad.
Vroom_vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:00 PM   #12
Sledgehammer70

any thoughts? Intake Scoop worth the cost? And how hard are they to install?

Old 06-14-2013, 07:38 PM   #13
whaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
My two favorite mods on mine are the ACS TL1 hood insert and my MRT V2 axel back exhaust.
I also have an RX Catch can and Ported Throttle body.
Can you give me insight on the ported throttle body, cost, tune needed, benefit? Thanks.

Quote:
any thoughts? Intake Scoop worth the cost? And how hard are they to install?

Link no workie...

USA #1
PS 103
Old 06-14-2013, 07:47 PM   #14
skibik

Drives: bbbbbb
Quote:
Originally Posted by whaler View Post
Can you give me insight on the ported throttle body, cost, tune needed, benefit? Thanks.

No tune needed. Not sure with stock air box attached but with my Injen CAI is was about a 20 minute install and that was inspecting the difference between the two. the benefit I noticed was better throttle response around the 2000 to 3000 RPM and up. Cost I believe is up to $350 and once you have installed and sent back the core (the TB) you will get the $200 core deposit back for an end total of $150.

Dean.

Last edited by skibik; 06-14-2013 at 07:59 PM.
skibik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:57 PM   #15
skibik

Drives: bbbbbb
Nice car!

The manifold is integrated into the head so you won't be able to add headers. About the only option is Solo high flow cats to open up and get the exhaust flowing better. Mufflers, you need to find what you like, I have MRT V2.0 and I love the sound of mine and wouldn't trade them for the world unless MRT comes out with something better.

SC, this is just my opinion but I just couldn't see adding this option to my V6 considering the amount of money they get and yeah they cost a few bucks. If I knew in the future that I had planned on spending money on an SC or turbos I would have just gotten the SS myself. Again this is JMO.

Check out this link http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=222713 part way down the page is forced induction.

Enjoy your ride and hope this helps!

Dean.
skibik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:53 PM   #16
Airmaster
Go Gators!

Drives: '13 Camaro and '97 Wrangler
You're choices thus far seem pretty good. I give a thumbs up to the K&N.

No headers but you can do SOLO high flow cats. I'm waiting to get around to installing them myself.

Exhaust is personal preference, I purchased Magnaflow and will be installing when I throw the cats on.

I'd add a catch can, I've been convinced by the promoters, and it definitely catches oil. Go RX or Elite.

As far as forced induction, I don't know much, but Tracy from RX and a whole slew of other companies are on this forum ready to steer you in the right direction.

My advice to you, use google, type "Site:Camaro5.com 'Your search words'" Much better way to search our forums!
Old 06-15-2013, 09:47 AM   #17
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
If serious about a supercharger I would wait on the CAI upgrade. Most SC system come with the upgrade specific for the system.
I like my solo Mach cat back exhaust with the solo high flow cats, they are a great upgrade for an LFX and sound awesome with no drone.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:07 AM   #18
etmx183

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT RS, 04 Turbo Busa
Let the modding begin, it only ends when you have bolted everything on the engine that you can. I've done well reaching for the end of the list, only a few more to go. I went Nitrous instead of TT or S/C. A Catch Can is a must have, not for power for the love of your engine. I have the Chevy High Perf mufflers and SOLO High Flo cats. No drone and I like how they sound when you step on it, very quiet at an idle. <--- That is good if you want to sneak attach someone, than they think your all stock. Air scoop takes about 45 minutes and you will have to cut out a piece behind the grill lower valance. I don't believe it will be of benefit with the open topped CAIs because it feeds from the bottom. Depends on how they are made, I have the CAI brand so not sure about the others. Engine tuning, there are now a few options for the V6s. Not like when I got mine 2 years ago and only had one option. That is all I will comment on the tuning issue in an open forum. Well have fun and welcome back after 14 years. At 51 Y/O I don't get older I just keep getting faster!!
CAI intake, RX catch can, NYTREX Nitrous,RX Ported Throttle body, APEX air scoop & washer relocation kit,, BMR diff bushings, cradle bushings, driveshaft loop and tunnel brace, trailing arms, toe arms, Hurst Roll control, Flex-a-lite transmission cooler, SOLO HFCs, M/T 20" D/Rs, FTI 3400 stall converter, JacFab ported intake manifold and upper intake isolator (12/13) Solo cat back Mach X system (2/14), SS diff 3.91 gears (11/2013) Weld RT-S 17x10 & 17x5 (4/2014)
TUNING BY: HP Tuners /MATT@FSP
( 1.63 60' / 12.238@107.62 10/25/2013 )
Refusing to grow older, I just go faster.
etmx183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 05:30 PM   #19
Sledgehammer70

Catch Can has been ordered from RevXtreme (Summit white with matching white Oil Cap). I went down to my local Muffler shops and would like advise on the prices I got.

Muffler West - $450 dual FlowMaster Axel Back with Tips installed and hung.
Rancho Muffler - $500 dual FlowMaster Cat Back (res removed) installed and hung

They showed me the mufflers they would install and they looked nice, but they were not Camaro specific from what could see. As in they were not the American Thunder's...

Muffler West said I really do not need to go Cat back as the pipes are already 2.5", Rancho Muffler mentioned that would remove the resonator and warned me it would be loud... my comment was "Good, you can't here the damn car at all currently"

Old 06-15-2013, 05:50 PM   #20
whaler

Quote:
Catch Can has been ordered from RevXtreme (Summit white with matching white Oil Cap). I went down to my local Muffler shops and would like advise on the prices I got.

Muffler West - $450 dual FlowMaster Axel Back with Tips installed and hung.
Rancho Muffler - $500 dual FlowMaster Cat Back (res removed) installed and hung

They showed me the mufflers they would install and they looked nice, but they were not Camaro specific from what could see. As in they were not the American Thunder's...

Muffler West said I really do not need to go Cat back as the pipes are already 2.5", Rancho Muffler mentioned that would remove the resonator and warned me it would be loud... my comment was "Good, you can't here the damn car at all currently"
Those prices do not sound bad, but ensure that what you get is the quality that the folks around here expect...you can buy the muffler/tips and have someone install them. You may otherwise end up with some cheap stuff. The factory exhaust is quite nice and you don't want to end up with hardware that rusts in two years, which is what muffler shops often install standard unless you specify stainless steel components.

Many folks complain of drone, so be careful not to aim too loud. That is why I like the Flowmaster, they have the total range. The axle back American Thunder is about $500 and I plan on installing it myself. It is quite tame and will do for a daily driver. I was also considering the MRT V2, but after reading all the tricks to get rid of drone, I rather just skip that.

Good luck.

USA #1
PS 103
Old 06-20-2013, 12:14 AM   #21
Sledgehammer70

Picked up the Gen5DIY DRL Harness and it took all of 5 minutes to install and the results are great. I now have fog lights and headlights that both turn on.

Now to await my new LED fog lights to arrive to match my Halo's.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:00 PM   #22
snymat68

Drives: '13 1LS M6, '72 VW Beetle M4 Resto.
I recently installed MRTv2's and the CAI intake with air scoop washer bottle relocation kit (all from Apex Motorsports). I am quite happy with everything! Here's a thread I started with a video and write-ups with lots of pics. Might be of some benefit to you. Congrats on the car!
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=302280
Aesthetic Mods
CamaroCollection Chrome Peek-A-Boo Door Handles | CamaroCollection Interior Accessories Kit | Headlight Armor Smoke Tail Light, Marker Light, & Turn Signal Tint | Custom Plate & Plate Frame | Silver Fade Gill Stripes | Carbon Fiber Bowties
snymat68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:28 PM   #23
Sledgehammer70

While waiting for my parts to arrive, I did a little under the hood paint mod, and slapped a Camaro logo on my passenger side so i have another shiny thing to look at.

Intake shipped today :( So it should be here Monday or Tuesday (can't wait to get this stock thing off of my car.

I like MRT for the exhaust but I am not sure I want to spend that much for just the mufflers + the cost of SS pipes for Cat back setup i want to do.

I have found out my exbrother in-law runs his own auto shop now (lifting, lowering, muffler, audio etc...). He had some suggestions for Flowmasters (not the 40's or American Thunders) that he thinks would make my V6 sound amazing. We shall see....

Catch Can has also been ordered with white oil filter cap from RX. So looking forward to that as well.

Old 06-22-2013, 03:14 AM   #24
Sledgehammer70

Ughh... This waiting for parts is killing me!