Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

ModBargains
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing Discussions on mechanical maintenance and servicing of your Camaro

Old 03-30-2014, 05:05 PM   #1
HawkMaro

Drives: 2013 LS
V6 Oil change via MityVac?

Does anyone change their oil via the extraction method via the dipstick tube? We have a 2013 LS Camaro, and I was wondering if it's possible.

I know traditionalists prefer draining via plug, but I've used extraction on other cars for years with good results.
HawkMaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:57 PM   #2
Dadof10

Drives: 2012 Blk/Beige 2LT M6
I have a 2012 2lt and I purchased the MityVac. It worked fine on my riding lawnmower but I couldn't get it to work for my car. More specifically, the plastic tube couldn't reach the oil sump. Apparently the dip stick tube curves too much to allow the plastic tube to reach. If anyone has had any success with this, please post a solution. I was really hoping this would have worked (no unnecessary crawling under the car for oil changes)
Old 03-30-2014, 07:36 PM   #3
colingordon
Her Name is Mila

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1LT A6
bad idea for your car!!
Old 03-30-2014, 08:46 PM   #4
HawkMaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by colingordon View Post
bad idea for your car!!
If the sump is accessible via the dipstick tube, it should be no different than a traditional oil change. You can extract the oil, pull the plug, and no oil should come out.

As Dadof10 commented, the dipstick tube design doesn't support this method in the LFX, so it's a no go.

The principal of extraction is sound. It's the standard for Mercedes. I've been using it for years with non-Camaro's, and they run great.

Did you know a measurable amount of oil stays in the engine, no matter which method you use?

Last edited by HawkMaro; 03-30-2014 at 09:01 PM.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:25 PM   #5
Matty1LE

Drives: 2014 1LE Camaro 2$$
I agree with you there are only a couple vehicle manufactures that recommend removing the oil via dipstick tube. They accomplished this by using a wide dipstick tube, however Chevy isnt one of those. Thats also why they put there oil filters on top of the engine on German cars.

You have to go under the car to drop the oil filter on yours no sense in sucking it out. Plus its good to get undercar once and a while to make sure everything is tip top. Its easy when you work at a shop too =)
Matty1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 10:03 PM   #6
HawkMaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty1LE View Post
I agree with you there are only a couple vehicle manufactures that recommend removing the oil via dipstick tube. They accomplished this by using a wide dipstick tube, however Chevy isnt one of those. Thats also why they put there oil filters on top of the engine on German cars.

You have to go under the car to drop the oil filter on yours no sense in sucking it out. Plus its good to get undercar once and a while to make sure everything is tip top. Its easy when you work at a shop too =)
Actually, the oil filter is on top of the LFX.