Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Dyno Max
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:04 PM   #1
Trob85
Svt lol

Drives: 2011 ss inferno orange blown
Zl1 conversion vs slotted rotors and hps pads for ss

Just curious on any experience people have had with both to just swap for zl1 fronts or get vented rotors on the ss 4 piston brakes. It won't be a track car not on the brakes very hard so I want to hear your input because I did a 127-0 hard stop and the brakes were smoking wondering if switching for more performance rotors and pads would take care of it or would I have to switch to the 6 piston fronts. I know the 6 pistons are bigger I'm concerned about since you can't find slotted rotors it would have trouble evacuating gasses under heavy braking with the zl1 kit.
Trob85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:48 PM   #2
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Racing Brake rotors and Hawk HPS or HP+ pads
Old 06-14-2013, 04:12 PM   #3
JusticePete
Rebel Leader

Drives: Camaro Justice
Gassing is not the issue it used to be with modern pads.

Did you prepare your pads for 127 MPH to Zero stops with a very aggressive bedding cycle or was this your first stop?
Old 06-14-2013, 04:54 PM   #4
Trob85
Svt lol

No it was still the stock pads and rotors I bought the car at 10000 miles I did the stop at 12000 after looking around I saw this upgrade but couldn't decide on switching over or using the caliper I have with race upgrades. Also it was a spur of the moment race when a 300c Srt tried to run me
Old 06-14-2013, 05:02 PM   #5
JusticePete
Rebel Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trob85 View Post
No it was still the stock pads and rotors I bought the car at 10000 miles I did the stop at 12000 after looking around I saw this upgrade but couldn't decide on switching over or using the caliper I have with race upgrades. Also it was a spur of the moment race when a 300c Srt tried to run me
SS four pots
OE Pads
12,000 miles
No known bedding process

Correct?
Old 06-14-2013, 05:04 PM   #6
Trob85
Svt lol

Yep that's about it lmao
Old 06-14-2013, 05:26 PM   #7
JusticePete
Rebel Leader

Bedding prepares the pads and rotors for driving or racing. The idea is to heat the rotor and pad to a higher temperature than they will see in use. Your 127 MPH to Zero stop heated the pads far more than they were bedded is most likely an accurate statement. Smoking is no big deal.

The SS four pots are good brakes. The OE pads are a very good daily driver and light track use blend compound.

What track plans do you have for your SS?
Old 06-14-2013, 05:49 PM   #8
Trob85
Svt lol

Occasionally the drag strip that's it outside of the stupid ricer and guy that pulls up its regular driving cruising on the weekend
Old 06-14-2013, 05:55 PM   #9
SPCBA
Blake

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
racingbrake upgrades, zl1/ctsv are not a upgrade for drag
Old 06-14-2013, 05:57 PM   #10
JusticePete
Rebel Leader

The SS OE brakes are up to that type of work and play. I have my own approach to maintaining stock brakes. Pads and rotors on a enthusiast driven Camaro last 30 to 40K the last half of use the brakes are noticeably tired. To avoid that I change out the pads at about 15K with the same OE pads. I don't turn the rotors. I do bed them. You get full life out of the rotors and very good braking through out.

Just change the front pads soon and bed them. A brake bleed should be done at the same time.

Find an open road with minimal traffic. From 55 MPH stand on the brakes hard down to 35 MPH. Speed back up to 65 and brake hard down to 35, 75 to 35 and 80 to 35. Then drive a couple of miles at cruising speed to let the pads and rotors cool.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:03 PM   #11
Trob85
Svt lol

Ok thanks everyone for the input.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:53 PM   #12
JDP Motorsports

Drives: 2011 JDP Track Spec Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trob85 View Post
Just curious on any experience people have had with both to just swap for zl1 fronts or get vented rotors on the ss 4 piston brakes. It won't be a track car not on the brakes very hard so I want to hear your input because I did a 127-0 hard stop and the brakes were smoking wondering if switching for more performance rotors and pads would take care of it or would I have to switch to the 6 piston fronts. I know the 6 pistons are bigger I'm concerned about since you can't find slotted rotors it would have trouble evacuating gasses under heavy braking with the zl1 kit.
The CTS-V package is hands down the best bang for the buck mod you can do. It honestly sounds like the factory set up is more than enough for your usage however. When the pads wear out put some Hawk HPS pads in it and possibly some stainless lines.

Please feel free to call, email or PM me anytime with questions.

Kind regards,

Jordan Priestley
Old 08-24-2013, 03:27 PM   #13
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Believe me I'm not second guessing the expertise of the pros that have chimed in, they plain and simple are the best guys to be answering these questions. Pete and Jordan are the originators of this very subject.

My opinion and why I am doing the upgrade I am. The CTS-V/ZL1 upgrade has the most potential shy of going with a full on race set up. They are essentially the stock SS set up + 1 (actually 4 pistons 2 per side) there is a much larger front pad and a larger front rotor. The looks can't be beat either.

Now if you go with a bunch of racing brake stuff on an SS set up ie. Their rotors and caliper kits with pistons you will spend 75%-80% the money you will by doing the same upgrade to the CTS-V/ZL1 set up...

So here is my logic. Bite the bullet buy the CTS-V stuff and have better brakes from the get go. When they aren't enough rebuild them with the RB piston kits roughly $500 front $400 rear. When that isn't enough add the Rotors roughly $2500 all around. If that's not enough... you should go to Bonduraunt and learn to drive better... lol

Seriously you can minimize the cost or at least spread it out over time.

I'm in the process of getting some calipers CTS-V that need to be Powder Coated and rebuilt then I'm going to run a set of ZL1 rotors that I got a killer deal on.

When these wear out the RB rotors are on their way. Hopefully they will be cheaper then.
Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:05 PM   #14
madmaxx18

Drives: 07_tundra/08_zo6
I think there's a reason why the experts advice differs from yours greatly. Maybe you should read what the OP's plans are!!!
madmaxx18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:46 PM   #15
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
His plans aren't too much different from mine except I might occasionally road course it. The brakes won't affect the 1/4 et's enough to out weigh the DD advantages. I'm a bigger is usually better kind of guy...

Last edited by Firefighter; 08-24-2013 at 06:16 PM.
Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes, swap, zl1