Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Dyno Max
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons For all LFX related parts

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2013, 08:41 AM   #1
Buschman
 
Buschman's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 1LT VR RS
Join Date: May 2013
Location: North Eastern Michigan
Posts: 262
Exhaust Decision

I thought I had my mind made up and was going to go with MRT 2.0. I was at a show yesterday and heard a 12 with the MRT and CAI, it sounded awesome. But it is loud and aggressive. My car is a daily driver and I am concerned that it may be too much, any suggestions of exhausts that have a nice low note to them but not as loud as the MRT 2.0?
Sorry to make another thread about this but I have spent hours searching video clips, and I can't make up my mind.
__________________
Heavy Chevy 2013 VR 1LT RS
Magnaflow Cat Back - K&N Typhoon - Apex Scoop & Bottle - VMax Ported Throttle Body Build Journal


Buschman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:41 AM   #2
Nutbutt


 
Nutbutt's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Western Massachusetts
Posts: 3,222
Solo Mach cat back exhaust ! Has the resonated x pipe upfront and the tunable j-pipes in the back. The sound is great with no drone. The guys at solo are great for service too.
__________________
1st IPF Supercharged 2011 2LT/RS RJT Convertible
Nutbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:29 AM   #3
Bornluckee13
I fly
 
Drives: 2010 2SS, Stick, Cyber Gray
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Harker Heights, Texas
Posts: 296
Another for Solo! Can't say enough about their pipes! Everybody I meet loves the way my car sounds and it's nice a tame inside unless you get on it. Its also really fun when people look under the car and see those J pipes You will not regret solos!!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcd View Post
You mean all those decades I drove a car without an onboard computer, I was cheating death?
There are only two options in life. Fight or flight. Most people run. Almost all people run. But not us. The difference between us and everyone else is that we run towards the gunfire. And that makes all the difference.
Bornluckee13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:57 AM   #4
Buschman
 
Buschman's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 1LT VR RS
Join Date: May 2013
Location: North Eastern Michigan
Posts: 262
I narrowed it down to 4 axle back systems. Dynomax Ultraflow 39493, Dynomax VT 38493, Magnaflow Street Series 16584, and JBA 40-3116.
If anyone has first hand experience with any of these please chime in, I wish I could just hear them all in person.
Thanks in advance, and I'm buying by the end of the week so if any of the retailers want to toss offers I'm ready to listen.
__________________
Heavy Chevy 2013 VR 1LT RS
Magnaflow Cat Back - K&N Typhoon - Apex Scoop & Bottle - VMax Ported Throttle Body Build Journal



Last edited by Buschman; 06-23-2013 at 11:31 AM.
Buschman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:41 PM   #5
911medic

 
911medic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Near Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buschman View Post
I thought I had my mind made up and was going to go with MRT 2.0. I was at a show yesterday and heard a 12 with the MRT and CAI, it sounded awesome. But it is loud and aggressive. My car is a daily driver and I am concerned that it may be too much, any suggestions of exhausts that have a nice low note to them but not as loud as the MRT 2.0?
Sorry to make another thread about this but I have spent hours searching video clips, and I can't make up my mind.
I have the same concerns, and am considering the Dynomax VT.
__________________
All bleeding stops eventually -- 2012 2LT Auto w/sunroof -- My journal thread
Roto-Fab Intake & W/W Relocate Kit -- ADM Race Scoop -- Dynomax VT Axle-Back Exhaust -- Vitesse Throttle Controller
RX Catch Can -- Drake Bowtie Delete -- JacFab Radio Face Cover -- LED Fog Lights -- LED Dome/Trunk/Plate Lights
Wishlist: VMax Ported TB -- Dash ABL -- Footwell/Cupholder/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:36 PM   #6
JantzenOKC
Twins on the way!
 
JantzenOKC's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2LT/RS LFX
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Edmond, Oklahoma
Posts: 609
I love my Corsa
JantzenOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:34 PM   #7
Kessler
 
Kessler's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 IOM 2LT RS A6 w/ BA
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Central Valley, Ca
Posts: 85
I am happy with my MRT v1s, would not consider going back to stock.
__________________
ToDones -
Apex Scoop & Washer Relocate - CAI cai - VMAX Ported Throttle-body -
Elite CC - MRT v1 Axle Back customized w/ J-Pipes -
Blacked Out Headlight/Tail Light Areas - Blacked Out BowTies - Blacked Out 'camaro'
Brake Light Chrome Bezel delete - Front Plate Relocate
SubThump Sub Box 2 10"s - DRL to Halos

ToDos -
JL Audio XD400/4 - Elite Clean Side Separator - Vitesse Throttle Response Controller
Kessler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:12 PM   #8
Apex Motorsports

 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 23,403
Adding a Magnaflow resonated x-pipe to the MRT v2 brings the volume down a little and kills the freeway drone.
__________________
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:45 PM   #9
Buschman
 
Buschman's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 1LT VR RS
Join Date: May 2013
Location: North Eastern Michigan
Posts: 262
Think I'm going to try the Dynomax VT, if I do how hard/bad would it be installation wise if I decide to switch to the MRT?
__________________
Heavy Chevy 2013 VR 1LT RS
Magnaflow Cat Back - K&N Typhoon - Apex Scoop & Bottle - VMax Ported Throttle Body Build Journal


Buschman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:44 PM   #10
skibik
Guest
 
Drives: bbbbbb
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: bfe
Posts: 714
I am gathering the Dynomax VT's are an axle back? I don't think I could find my installation instructions for the V2's to get you the length of where they were cut but if they are cut in the same spot or if more pipe is left for the VT's then it would be simple. If the VT's are longer and you have to cut the pipe closer to the axle it will be work for a muffler shop to add pipe back in for the MRT's. Unless of course you're a welder. Maybe someone has the measurement for the MRT's so you can compare it to where the VT's need to be cut and that would give you your answer. Hope this helps.

Dean.
skibik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:09 AM   #11
Buschman
 
Buschman's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 1LT VR RS
Join Date: May 2013
Location: North Eastern Michigan
Posts: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutbutt View Post
Solo Mach cat back exhaust ! Has the resonated x pipe upfront and the tunable j-pipes in the back. The sound is great with no drone. The guys at solo are great for service too.
I can only find the Solo cat back for the convertible LFX, does it fit the coupe as well? Or does the LLT kit fit the 13?
__________________
Heavy Chevy 2013 VR 1LT RS
Magnaflow Cat Back - K&N Typhoon - Apex Scoop & Bottle - VMax Ported Throttle Body Build Journal


Buschman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:21 AM   #12
911medic

 
911medic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Near Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibik View Post
I am gathering the Dynomax VT's are an axle back? I don't think I could find my installation instructions for the V2's to get you the length of where they were cut but if they are cut in the same spot or if more pipe is left for the VT's then it would be simple. If the VT's are longer and you have to cut the pipe closer to the axle it will be work for a muffler shop to add pipe back in for the MRT's. Unless of course you're a welder. Maybe someone has the measurement for the MRT's so you can compare it to where the VT's need to be cut and that would give you your answer. Hope this helps.

Dean.
Here are the install instructions for the Dynomax VT. They say to cut the stock pipe 14" in front of the stock muffler

And here's the MRT v2 instructions. It says to cut the pipes 3 1/2" from the front of the stock muffler.

So, the two cuts are nowhere near each other. If you wanted to switch from v2 to VT, you'd just need to cut more pipe off. If you wanted to switch from VT to v2, you'll need to go to a muffler shop and have some pipe work done.
__________________
All bleeding stops eventually -- 2012 2LT Auto w/sunroof -- My journal thread
Roto-Fab Intake & W/W Relocate Kit -- ADM Race Scoop -- Dynomax VT Axle-Back Exhaust -- Vitesse Throttle Controller
RX Catch Can -- Drake Bowtie Delete -- JacFab Radio Face Cover -- LED Fog Lights -- LED Dome/Trunk/Plate Lights
Wishlist: VMax Ported TB -- Dash ABL -- Footwell/Cupholder/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:30 AM   #13
Buschman
 
Buschman's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 1LT VR RS
Join Date: May 2013
Location: North Eastern Michigan
Posts: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911medic View Post
Here are the install instructions for the Dynomax VT. They say to cut the stock pipe 14" in front of the stock muffler

And here's the MRT v2 instructions. It says to cut the pipes 3 1/2" from the front of the stock muffler.

So, the two cuts are nowhere near each other. If you wanted to switch from v2 to VT, you'd just need to cut more pipe off. If you wanted to switch from VT to v2, you'll need to go to a muffler shop and have some pipe work done.
Thanks, now I'm stuck between the decision of MRT 2.0 with a Magnaflow XPipe, or Solo Mach X. They are both around the same price, but going cat back I can bolt the stock exhaust back on with little work when trading it in. This shouldn't be so freaking hard to decide.
__________________
Heavy Chevy 2013 VR 1LT RS
Magnaflow Cat Back - K&N Typhoon - Apex Scoop & Bottle - VMax Ported Throttle Body Build Journal


Buschman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:31 AM   #14
911medic

 
911medic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Near Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buschman View Post
I can only find the Solo cat back for the convertible LFX, does it fit the coupe as well? Or does the LLT kit fit the 13?
Looks like the "MachX-LFX" is designed for the V6 convertible, while the "MachX-LLT" is designed for all V6 coupes (even if they have an LFX engine).
__________________
All bleeding stops eventually -- 2012 2LT Auto w/sunroof -- My journal thread
Roto-Fab Intake & W/W Relocate Kit -- ADM Race Scoop -- Dynomax VT Axle-Back Exhaust -- Vitesse Throttle Controller
RX Catch Can -- Drake Bowtie Delete -- JacFab Radio Face Cover -- LED Fog Lights -- LED Dome/Trunk/Plate Lights
Wishlist: VMax Ported TB -- Dash ABL -- Footwell/Cupholder/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:33 AM   #15
911medic

 
911medic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Near Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buschman View Post
Thanks, now I'm stuck between the decision of MRT 2.0 with a Magnaflow XPipe, or Solo Mach X. They are both around the same price, but going cat back I can bolt the stock exhaust back on with little work when trading it in. This shouldn't be so freaking hard to decide.
Yeah...If there's any way possible, I'd strongly recommend trying to hear them in person. Is there a local Camaro club in your area? If so, you could try to attend a meeting and see if any of them are running one of these exhausts.
__________________
All bleeding stops eventually -- 2012 2LT Auto w/sunroof -- My journal thread
Roto-Fab Intake & W/W Relocate Kit -- ADM Race Scoop -- Dynomax VT Axle-Back Exhaust -- Vitesse Throttle Controller
RX Catch Can -- Drake Bowtie Delete -- JacFab Radio Face Cover -- LED Fog Lights -- LED Dome/Trunk/Plate Lights
Wishlist: VMax Ported TB -- Dash ABL -- Footwell/Cupholder/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:31 PM   #16
TwentyTen2SSRS


 
TwentyTen2SSRS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,389
i am in the exact same boat... narrowed between Solo Mach and MRT V2. I can't decide either.

Apex, how much are the Mangaflow xpipes for the MRT v2?
__________________
Cold Air Inductions CAI • Stainless Power LT's with HFC's • Flowmaster American Thunder Cat Back • APEX Scoop and WW Relocation Kit • VMAX Ported Throttle Body • Custom Dyno Tune • Pfadt 1.25" Lowering Springs • ZL1 Rims on 275 front 315 Rear • matte black hood, trunk and roof wrap • Lime Green Custom Vinyl • Anvil Spoiler • heritage grill • SLP front splitter • 416.5 whp 410 torque
TwentyTen2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:03 PM   #17
Nutbutt


 
Nutbutt's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Western Massachusetts
Posts: 3,222
Solo will also save you some weight. I had the system on my 2010 coupe and when I got my 2011 vert I immediately updated to the solo Mach ! The sound is great. The tunable J's tame the raspy LLT and LFX.
I agree the best way to see what the best for you is a live listen. The you tube vids are good but its not the same.
__________________
1st IPF Supercharged 2011 2LT/RS RJT Convertible
Nutbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:32 PM   #18
Apex Motorsports

 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 23,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013BlackLS View Post
i am in the exact same boat... narrowed between Solo Mach and MRT V2. I can't decide either.

Apex, how much are the Mangaflow xpipes for the MRT v2?
$104.98 but if you buy it along with a MRT v2 you get a $50 discount.
__________________
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.