Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2013, 08:31 AM   #18
the_fast_one

 
the_fast_one's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 IOM 2SS, 05 SOM Colorado
Join Date: May 2012
Location: IL
Posts: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by fz4k98 View Post
Paying for a warranty and voiding it on a new vehicle is a double hit financially. 1st you buy a new vehicle and it instantly depreciates and 2nd you could have saved several thousands of dollars buying used.

That chunk of money could do some serious improvements.
I saved a few thousand by having 0% interest

Plus I like the fact of knowing what has been done to the car and how well it has been taken car of. No hidden issues the owner is trying to push off. That peice of mind is worth the depreciation to me. I also plan on keeping for a long time so I am not worried about depreciation etc that is for people upside down or people not planning on keeping it for a while.
__________________
Let the modding begin
466/436 - JRE Rough Idle blower cam, BTR push rods, PRC 6.75 springs, halltech CAI, K&N filter, SLP 25% UD pulley, Manley H/V oil pump, Kooks 1 7/8 headers w/o cats, ported TB, Npp exhaust. BMR 1.4"/1" drop springs, ZL1 Swaybars, 1LE strut tower brace, zl1 rockers, zl1 style splitter, night shades ns3 stripe kit.

Future mods
Dss 1000hp axels Dss aluminum driveshaft, bmr full bushings, ? Clutch, ? Supercharger, wheels/drag radials.
the_fast_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:33 AM   #19
family man

 
Drives: .
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: .
Posts: 1,088
My powertrain warranty is now void at 1423 miles with my latest round of mods.
family man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:41 AM   #20
HaulnSS
2013 2SS/RS M6
 
HaulnSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2SS/RS M6 Dual Mode
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Indiana
Posts: 188
Warranty?

I believe mine is gone at 317 miles.
__________________

Hurst, Mojave Interior, 20% tint, Dual Mode Exhaust, ZL1 Splitter, ZL1 rockers, Blade spoiler, 3D Carbon rear quarter spats, CAI, Headers, M2W, catch can, apex scoop, LED DRL's, smoke side markers, billet aluminum SS emblems, Street Scene lower grill with scoops, BMR subframe connectors, lowering springs, bushings. USWForged 20" Crossover w Nitto 315/275
HaulnSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:43 AM   #21
Del's12SS
 
Del's12SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro SS/RS Convertible
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Wyoming, MI
Posts: 567
Good thread... I have 3800 miles and am "maikng my list".
__________________
Del's12SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:53 AM   #22
2012-1822


 
2012-1822's Avatar
 
Drives: Black ZL1
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: City of Champions, Alabama
Posts: 3,700
Things were plain different in your dad's day. You could throw some parts on the car and get up under the hood with a screw driver and "tune" the car by adjusting the carburetor. I don't know how warranties worked back then, but if something broke you could take a car like that back to stock and return it to the dealer.

Not ruining the car, honestly just be aware that if you do toast your engine you'll have to find a way to pay for it. When I mod my car the way I want to, hopefully hopefully this winter, I'll also have a way to dig up the money to order a crate LSA should I blow up my motor. It's kind of like my own insurance/warranty plan before I kill this thing.
__________________
Check out Alabama Camaros, for Camaro enthusiasts all around Alabama https://www.facebook.com/groups/1739...group_activity
2012-1822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:11 AM   #23
the_fast_one

 
the_fast_one's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 IOM 2SS, 05 SOM Colorado
Join Date: May 2012
Location: IL
Posts: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012-1822 View Post
Things were plain different in your dad's day. You could throw some parts on the car and get up under the hood with a screw driver and "tune" the car by adjusting the carburetor. I don't know how warranties worked back then, but if something broke you could take a car like that back to stock and return it to the dealer.

Not ruining the car, honestly just be aware that if you do toast your engine you'll have to find a way to pay for it. When I mod my car the way I want to, hopefully hopefully this winter, I'll also have a way to dig up the money to order a crate LSA should I blow up my motor. It's kind of like my own insurance/warranty plan before I kill this thing.

I wont have to dig to hard just dip into savings to build a forged block the way I want it. Probably just do LS3 again and salvage what I could from this motor and transfer it. It is not a DD, I have a truck I drive all the time so if the car had to sit for a bit while a motor is being built it would not be the end of the world.
__________________
Let the modding begin
466/436 - JRE Rough Idle blower cam, BTR push rods, PRC 6.75 springs, halltech CAI, K&N filter, SLP 25% UD pulley, Manley H/V oil pump, Kooks 1 7/8 headers w/o cats, ported TB, Npp exhaust. BMR 1.4"/1" drop springs, ZL1 Swaybars, 1LE strut tower brace, zl1 rockers, zl1 style splitter, night shades ns3 stripe kit.

Future mods
Dss 1000hp axels Dss aluminum driveshaft, bmr full bushings, ? Clutch, ? Supercharger, wheels/drag radials.
the_fast_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:22 AM   #24
SPCBA


 
Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: a line somwhere
Posts: 4,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fast_one View Post
I wont have to dig to hard just dip into savings to build a forged block the way I want it. Probably just do LS3 again and salvage what I could from this motor and transfer it. It is not a DD, I have a truck I drive all the time so if the car had to sit for a bit while a motor is being built it would not be the end of the world.
sounds like a plan
__________________
SPCBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:28 AM   #25
the_fast_one

 
the_fast_one's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 IOM 2SS, 05 SOM Colorado
Join Date: May 2012
Location: IL
Posts: 819
Not that I want my motor to blow or anything. I am hoping it stays just fine for many many many miles to come even with the future mods
__________________
Let the modding begin
466/436 - JRE Rough Idle blower cam, BTR push rods, PRC 6.75 springs, halltech CAI, K&N filter, SLP 25% UD pulley, Manley H/V oil pump, Kooks 1 7/8 headers w/o cats, ported TB, Npp exhaust. BMR 1.4"/1" drop springs, ZL1 Swaybars, 1LE strut tower brace, zl1 rockers, zl1 style splitter, night shades ns3 stripe kit.

Future mods
Dss 1000hp axels Dss aluminum driveshaft, bmr full bushings, ? Clutch, ? Supercharger, wheels/drag radials.
the_fast_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:13 PM   #26
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.
 
RLHMARINES's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black, aka "Big SexZ"
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Savannah, Ga
Posts: 1,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
The tune that long tube headers require will void it though.
Only if you can not live with the service engine light being on and give up a few ponies. I can tolerate it for a little while and then find a tune friendly dealer(Rodgers Chevrolet maybe) to tune and cover that part of the warranty. Just a thought especially if you think you might trade or sell it in the future. I've driven a few header equipped Camaro's without tunes and they performed great.
__________________
Swift....Silent....Deadly
RLHMARINES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:29 PM   #27
the_fast_one

 
the_fast_one's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 IOM 2SS, 05 SOM Colorado
Join Date: May 2012
Location: IL
Posts: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLHMARINES View Post
Only if you can not live with the service engine light being on and give up a few ponies. I can tolerate it for a little while and then find a tune friendly dealer(Rodgers Chevrolet maybe) to tune and cover that part of the warranty. Just a thought especially if you think you might trade or sell it in the future. I've driven a few header equipped Camaro's without tunes and they performed great.
Yeah you can get away with that for a bit but its better with a tune unless you just want to make noise and have CEL on all the time.
__________________
Let the modding begin
466/436 - JRE Rough Idle blower cam, BTR push rods, PRC 6.75 springs, halltech CAI, K&N filter, SLP 25% UD pulley, Manley H/V oil pump, Kooks 1 7/8 headers w/o cats, ported TB, Npp exhaust. BMR 1.4"/1" drop springs, ZL1 Swaybars, 1LE strut tower brace, zl1 rockers, zl1 style splitter, night shades ns3 stripe kit.

Future mods
Dss 1000hp axels Dss aluminum driveshaft, bmr full bushings, ? Clutch, ? Supercharger, wheels/drag radials.
the_fast_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:35 PM   #28
JDP Sales

 
JDP Sales's Avatar
 
Drives: Chevys at the limit
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 9,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dznts View Post
F the warranty!! If something breaks, just replace it with something better.
My motto has always been "If you have to replace, UPGRADE"

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
__________________

Click HERE to send a PM | sales@jdpmotorsports.com | www.jdpmotorsports.com | 801.545.4215
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:45 AM   #29
newmoon

 
newmoon's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 5.0 Mustang, Brembo Track Pack
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NC
Posts: 1,942
My advice to you would be sell your car and buy a used model that has already been modded. It will be much much cheaper in the long run. The minute you mod your car with the list you posted your car's value will drastically be decreased should you decide to sell in the future. It will be worth less than if you left it completely stock.

There are several modded cars for sale in the forum that have been build right and can be purchased for well below the value of your used 12. Sell yours buy one already done and put some money in your pocket. You will save all of that mod money, which can very quickly add up.
__________________
Presently Car-Less
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2012 Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:59 AM   #30
the_fast_one

 
the_fast_one's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 IOM 2SS, 05 SOM Colorado
Join Date: May 2012
Location: IL
Posts: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
My advice to you would be sell your car and buy a used model that has already been modded. It will be much much cheaper in the long run. The minute you mod your car with the list you posted your car's value will drastically be decreased should you decide to sell in the future. It will be worth less than if you left it completely stock.

There are several modded cars for sale in the forum that have been build right and can be purchased for well below the value of your used 12. Sell yours buy one already done and put some money in your pocket. You will save all of that mod money, which can very quickly add up.

Not gonna sell it I have only owned for 6 months and I like the fact that I bought it brand new for my 30th birthday. I plan on keeping it a long time, maybe even pass it down if I ever have kids. All ready bought the mods and dont feel like losing money on that, losing money on selling my car, and losing money paying interest on another camaro.
__________________
Let the modding begin
466/436 - JRE Rough Idle blower cam, BTR push rods, PRC 6.75 springs, halltech CAI, K&N filter, SLP 25% UD pulley, Manley H/V oil pump, Kooks 1 7/8 headers w/o cats, ported TB, Npp exhaust. BMR 1.4"/1" drop springs, ZL1 Swaybars, 1LE strut tower brace, zl1 rockers, zl1 style splitter, night shades ns3 stripe kit.

Future mods
Dss 1000hp axels Dss aluminum driveshaft, bmr full bushings, ? Clutch, ? Supercharger, wheels/drag radials.
the_fast_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:30 AM   #31
Dznts
Anabolic Connoisseur
 
Dznts's Avatar
 
Drives: Blown Camaro 2SS/RS LS3-2007 Tahoe
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 21,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales@JDP View Post
My motto has always been "If you have to replace, UPGRADE"

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
__________________
Dznts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:34 AM   #32
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!
 
nyrfan's Avatar
 
Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 10,685
2 days till my warranty goes BYE BYE!
__________________
Soprano 4/1/00-6/14/11, Gone but NEVER forgotten!
FSP tuned: 377/389
nyrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:40 AM   #33
the_fast_one

 
the_fast_one's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 IOM 2SS, 05 SOM Colorado
Join Date: May 2012
Location: IL
Posts: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan View Post
2 days till my warranty goes BYE BYE!


I am gone for a few more weeks then I have some little stuff to buy like 1LE rear diffuser for my exhaust then its game time.
__________________
Let the modding begin
466/436 - JRE Rough Idle blower cam, BTR push rods, PRC 6.75 springs, halltech CAI, K&N filter, SLP 25% UD pulley, Manley H/V oil pump, Kooks 1 7/8 headers w/o cats, ported TB, Npp exhaust. BMR 1.4"/1" drop springs, ZL1 Swaybars, 1LE strut tower brace, zl1 rockers, zl1 style splitter, night shades ns3 stripe kit.

Future mods
Dss 1000hp axels Dss aluminum driveshaft, bmr full bushings, ? Clutch, ? Supercharger, wheels/drag radials.
the_fast_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:11 AM   #34
KICKER

 
KICKER's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 CAMARO 2SS/RS WHITE
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: PENSACOLA FLORIDA
Posts: 1,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dznts View Post
F the warranty!! If something breaks, just replace it with something better.
I like the way you think!
__________________
KICKER is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.