Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Solo Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2013, 01:39 PM   #52
Biscuitpie

 
Biscuitpie's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 Cammed LS3, '14 Scion FRS
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 759
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08-G35s/6MT View Post
The LS2 in the GTO is overrated.
Do you have a source for that? I'd like to show my friend. I have a friend with an LS1 GTO and one with an LS2. I've driven both and the LS2 definitely feels a lot faster.
__________________

SOLD with a Z06 in the not too distant future: Cammed, boltons, axles, lowered, and more. | 476 WHP
Biscuitpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:42 PM   #53
SUKXOST
Do you even lift, bro?
 
SUKXOST's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 1LE Camaro
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Sumter, SC
Posts: 3,160
My turbo'd SS Cobalt (stock turbo) with bolt ons and a tune would CRUSH 370Z's all day long. Not even sure how this is a debate.....1LE for sure in every imagineable way.
__________________
My 1LE (645WHP/597WTQ) build/journal Thread:
1st ever 1LE COTW http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255461
SUKXOST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:06 PM   #54
08-G35s/6MT

 
08-G35s/6MT's Avatar
 
Drives: racecars
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: BMN
Posts: 1,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUKXOST View Post
My turbo'd SS Cobalt (stock turbo) with bolt ons and a tune would CRUSH 370Z's all day long. Not even sure how this is a debate.....1LE for sure in every imagineable way.
An hp tuned LNF Cobalt SS would walk a stock L99 or give an LS3 a run for it's money all day too... What's your point?

They even give minor bolt on 5.0's a run for their money... Don't try and make them sound slower then they are.

My friend owns a 320 whp pump gas HP tuned Cobalt SS. He walks away from 400 whp 5.0's.

With e85 tune I have seen them make 340-360 whp and 430-450 lb-ft.
08-G35s/6MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:12 PM   #55
08-G35s/6MT

 
08-G35s/6MT's Avatar
 
Drives: racecars
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: BMN
Posts: 1,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuitpie View Post
Do you have a source for that? I'd like to show my friend. I have a friend with an LS1 GTO and one with an LS2. I've driven both and the LS2 definitely feels a lot faster.
LS2 is faster, but once you do a full on heads/cam car the LS1 is stronger and has just as much potential.
08-G35s/6MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:43 PM   #56
Biscuitpie

 
Biscuitpie's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 Cammed LS3, '14 Scion FRS
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 759
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08-G35s/6MT View Post
LS2 is faster, but once you do a full on heads/cam car the LS1 is stronger and has just as much potential.
Are you saying heads/cam LS1 is better than heads/cam LS2 or better than stock LS2? And I'm assuming it's stronger because it's smaller displacement sorta how the LS7 isn't very good for boost?
__________________

SOLD with a Z06 in the not too distant future: Cammed, boltons, axles, lowered, and more. | 476 WHP
Biscuitpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:17 PM   #57
aggieguy13

 
aggieguy13's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 SS/RS VR 1LE
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: MCKINNEY,TX
Posts: 1,278
The 370z does the V.I.R. Track in only 3:12. While the 1LE does it in a crazy good (for price) 2:58. For comparision the ZL1 does it in 2:52. And the ZR1 Vette only does it in 2:45.
__________________

2013 SS/RS 1LE VR-Backup System, SOLO Perforsance HF Cats, Muffler Delete, BBK Off-road X-pipe
2002 35th Aniversary SLP SS-Sold
aggieguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:59 PM   #58
Deki

 
Deki's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Mustang GT
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08-G35s/6MT View Post
The LS2 in the GTO is overrated.

At local dyno day my friend's L99 with intake and programmer did 357 whp.

A stock LS2 manual did 323 whp, and another ls2 with headers/intake/tune did 366 whp.


LS2's really make more around 370 at the crank stock, an auto ls2 would have dyno'd significantly lower then those 6-speeds.


GTO's weigh about 3600 lbs. G8 GT's weigh around 3900 lbs.... The GTO has a 200 lb passenger(just a guess) and essentially eliminates the weight difference. From my experience close races like that are determined by whichever car has a passenger(when there's just one for the 2 cars).


The LS1 is a better more reliable overall package then the ls2 when it comes to heads/cams... It's stronger and the best years for the LS1. My friend's has 460 whp and traps 119 mph and pulls cars that trap 120+ in real life, his is the ls1.
Stock LS2s have dynoed over 370whp stock. Your argument is immediately invalid.
__________________
2011 GT Premium//Performance White...a little modded
Deki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:34 PM   #59
evilstevie
 
Drives: Pontiac G8 GT
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: where it rains
Posts: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deki View Post
Stock LS2s have dynoed over 370whp stock. Your argument is immediately invalid.
Lots of folks on ls1gto.com seem to be in the 340-350 range at the wheel with the m6. I'm sure those ls2's are right around 400 at the crank from the factory. That would be a ridiculous thing for GM to fib about.
evilstevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:00 PM   #60
Z/Camaro
 
Drives: 2014 1LE 2012 Vette GS 280z/300z
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Nevada
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgviper View Post
Thank you for your post, sorry nobody has really acknowledged it lol. It was about time somebody just took both cars and put them head to head.

What were the results of the autocross?

Auto-x went as expected. We've been auto-x for about 3 years now. We don't hit every event, maybe 5 a year. I started at 54.6 and by my 7th run got it down to 49.1. She got her Camaro to as low as 53.3 and as high as 55.6. On our 4th run we swapped cars and I pulled a 53.1 and she pulled a 52.2 in my Z. I'm sure with more practice I could have got the Camaro down to 51.XX but we both wanted to focus on our own cars. There was another camaro there who claimed to be stock running 49-50 all night long. I thought he was just a good driver. Half way through the night I saw him pop his hood slightly and saw he had an intake. So I started to take a closer look at his car and noticed it also sat 1.25 inch lower than our Camaro.

The Camaro just feels too powerful for auto-x. I mean I barely use a fraction of the power of my Z on an auto-x track but with the Camaro it's ridiculous. So much torque on tap the car can get away from you very easily. On a curvy canyon road it's easy to drive but on a technical auto-x course it's a bit of a handfull. The Z on the other hand is very easy to control and is very precise. The only car I've driven that I enjoyed more on the auto-x course was my 280z, and thats mainly because it weights 2600lbs. On auto-x it's not about power but about weight and control. Still, I'll take the Z or Camaro as my DD vs. some light weight like a miata or FRS
Z/Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:03 PM   #61
aggieguy13

 
aggieguy13's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 SS/RS VR 1LE
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: MCKINNEY,TX
Posts: 1,278
im just gonna go ahead and repost this

VIR- Virginia International Raceway (aka Americas Nureburg)

The 370z does the V.I.R. Track in only 3:12. While the 1LE does it in a crazy good (for price) 2:58. For comparision the ZL1 does it in 2:52. And the ZR1 Vette only does it in 2:45.
__________________

2013 SS/RS 1LE VR-Backup System, SOLO Perforsance HF Cats, Muffler Delete, BBK Off-road X-pipe
2002 35th Aniversary SLP SS-Sold
aggieguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:27 AM   #62
Dr. Evil
 
Dr. Evil's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 SS
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08-G35s/6MT View Post
The LS2 in the GTO is overrated.

At local dyno day my friend's L99 with intake and programmer did 357 whp.

A stock LS2 manual did 323 whp, and another ls2 with headers/intake/tune did 366 whp.


LS2's really make more around 370 at the crank stock, an auto ls2 would have dyno'd significantly lower then those 6-speeds.


GTO's weigh about 3600 lbs. G8 GT's weigh around 3900 lbs.... The GTO has a 200 lb passenger(just a guess) and essentially eliminates the weight difference. From my experience close races like that are determined by whichever car has a passenger(when there's just one for the 2 cars).


The LS1 is a better more reliable overall package then the ls2 when it comes to heads/cams... It's stronger and the best years for the LS1. My friend's has 460 whp and traps 119 mph and pulls cars that trap 120+ in real life, his is the ls1.

How do you manage to stage your car without wrecking is beyond me. That is some of the dumbest stuff I have ever read.
Show us all the disappointed LS2 owners swapping out their 6.0l for a used LS1.

RE: the track times at VIR. With those lap times a 30 minute session the Z would be about a mile behind.
__________________
2013 model 2SS LS3
1969 model wife. Factory stock, no mods. Redhead package.
2005 model son. Special ordered with the hell on wheels package.
Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:46 AM   #63
RedWingsZL1
 
Drives: 2013 AGM M6 ZL1, 2008 Tahoe LTZ
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Westfield, IN
Posts: 372
Well, actually all the LS2 owners have swapped their engine to the one from the G35s, as it is far superior in every way to an LS engine. Even the new generation of LT engines fall to the mighty G35s.

The G35s does a 1/4 mile .2 faster than whatever you say you drive. Even a Honda Accord is faster.

I'll post videos and pics later of two random 4th gens I claim I bought off Craigslist that had title issues and the motor blew up, then aliens took it, and then I got the cash back, and now I'm going to buy this other one and build it myself.

I don't even know why i'm building that slow 4th gen camaro when my G35s will walk it in the 1/4.
__________________
2013 ZL1
RedWingsZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:56 AM   #64
big hammer

 
Drives: 2002 ws6
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: manitoba
Posts: 1,092
350-370z's are slow. end of story.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black GT View Post
Couple months ago we a few of us were at the track playing with one of my buddies 2010 Z06 automatic.Between 4 of us NO ONE was able to get out of the 12's.

I believe torque managnent was killing us that night, when launching the car would take off and fall flat on it's face.
big hammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:47 AM   #65
bowtieguyvegas
 
bowtieguyvegas's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 RS/SS and 2012 2LT/RS
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Las Vegas Nevada
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsZL1 View Post
Well, actually all the LS2 owners have swapped their engine to the one from the G35s, as it is far superior in every way to an LS engine. Even the new generation of LT engines fall to the mighty G35s.

The G35s does a 1/4 mile .2 faster than whatever you say you drive. Even a Honda Accord is faster.

I'll post videos and pics later of two random 4th gens I claim I bought off Craigslist that had title issues and the motor blew up, then aliens took it, and then I got the cash back, and now I'm going to buy this other one and build it myself.

I don't even know why i'm building that slow 4th gen camaro when my G35s will walk it in the 1/4.
bowtieguyvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:34 AM   #66
BlaqWhole

 
BlaqWhole's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by big hammer View Post
350-370z's are slow. end of story.
Keeping it real, they are not slow by any means. They are slower than the SS that's for sure. But they aren't slow. You take one for granted and slip up and miss a shift or spin too much and you won't catch them if they get out in front of you. And the Nismo will probably run neck and neck given a better driver.
__________________
Nadia (2010 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3) - Vararam CAI - SLP Underdrive Pulley - V-Max TB and Power Wedge - OBX 1-7/8 LTs with HF Cats - OBX 3" Cat-Back - Custom Predator Tune - BER Ported Intake Manifold!!

Esmeralda (03 GT) - UDP, CAI, PP intake manifold/upper plenum/75mm TB, 4.10s, fully rebuilt/upgraded trans w/ Transpak, 2400 stall converter, full O/R exhaust, 04 Cobra tank/dual 255 LPH pumps, Sniper Tune!!

Saving the world...1 hp at a time!!
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:47 AM   #67
SGOS252382


 
SGOS252382's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: S.W. Florida
Posts: 6,299
I owned 2 GTOs (both LS2s).
My manual LS2 GTO dynoed in the 340-345 rwhp range (same as a bunch of my buddies that also had manual GTOs)
With cam, full bolt ons, and tune it made 415 rwhp.


My stock automatic LS2 GTO made around 310 - 312 rwhp. Ran 13.3 @ 105 mph
With basic bolt ons it made 336 - 340 rwhp. Ran 12.9 @ 109 mph.


I had a couple friends with LS1 GTOs. Stock vs. Stock, I always beat them by a couple cars when we drag raced. An LS2 GTO will pull away from an LS1 GTO as speed increase (70+ mph).
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:04 AM   #68
302-412
 
Drives: 2013 Ram Express
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Seguin Texas
Posts: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08-G35s/6MT View Post
LS2 is faster, but once you do a full on heads/cam car the LS1 is stronger and has just as much potential.
Why, please explain.
302-412 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.