Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
HAVOC
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Forced Induction - V6 V6 Supercharger, turbo, nitrous discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2009, 01:10 AM   #1
Mohrg Beast
TURBO HUNTER!!!
 
Mohrg Beast's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro Lt Vin #1974
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 607
Upgrades for the V6 turbo engines?

Just wonder is there gonna be any upgrades or anything i can do to my Lt to boost the hp of my car. and on the start if i punch the gas to the floor the car has...well not the best take off.but heres the catch. if i take off and only hold the gas down for second or so, let off, then punch it again. its ten times more potent. it will through you back in the seat with incredible torque. anyway or anything i can do to actually get that kind of take off without double tapping the gas. my main goal if possible is to get my V6 turbo. which has around 306 hp, as close to the v8 as possible. without giving up 29mpg for lets say 9 mpg.LOL..i would ultimately like to push it to about 400 hp but if i can just boost it enough to get the same hp as the off the line SS/s then i would be done with this creation, and not have to buy anymore. any constructive help is appreciated. im a car person but ive never done anything hp and power upgrades before. just the basic stuff.which is why im asking.
Mohrg Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:15 AM   #2
fredbo
 
Drives: black 2010 LS
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: mississippi
Posts: 182
im tryin to turbo mine too, jus l8r on tho
fredbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:41 AM   #3
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned
 
Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 2,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohrg Beast View Post
Just wonder is there gonna be any upgrades or anything i can do to my Lt to boost the hp of my car. and on the start if i punch the gas to the floor the car has...well not the best take off.but heres the catch. if i take off and only hold the gas down for second or so, let off, then punch it again. its ten times more potent. it will through you back in the seat with incredible torque. anyway or anything i can do to actually get that kind of take off without double tapping the gas. my main goal if possible is to get my V6 turbo. which has around 306 hp, as close to the v8 as possible. without giving up 29mpg for lets say 9 mpg.LOL..i would ultimately like to push it to about 400 hp but if i can just boost it enough to get the same hp as the off the line SS/s then i would be done with this creation, and not have to buy anymore. any constructive help is appreciated. im a car person but ive never done anything hp and power upgrades before. just the basic stuff.which is why im asking.
Your not really wanting the HP of the SS, your wanting the TQ. And what your feeling in your V6 is weight transfer.
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 03:27 AM   #4
TheClassicCarKid

 
TheClassicCarKid's Avatar
 
Drives: V45
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,272
Any forced induction system will likely get you to 400 horsepower. Just wait for a kit to come out
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320junkie View Post
All of the stang guys in one thread..wow..lol
.
TheClassicCarKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:36 PM   #5
CamaroDreams07
Black Belt Shinemaster
 
CamaroDreams07's Avatar
 
Drives: Shinier than yours
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: East Lansing, MI
Posts: 8,951
M6 or A6?? If it's A6, are you doing this in the D or M mode?
CamaroDreams07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:42 PM   #6
Mohrg Beast
TURBO HUNTER!!!
 
Mohrg Beast's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro Lt Vin #1974
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
M6 or A6?? If it's A6, are you doing this in the D or M mode?
a6 in both modes..although S undoubtily is better.
Mohrg Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:43 PM   #7
Mohrg Beast
TURBO HUNTER!!!
 
Mohrg Beast's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro Lt Vin #1974
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 607
yeah thata what im waiting for is something to come out. not in no big hurry. love the mpg. but ill either put twin turbos or a supercharger soon.if any of you see anything coming out in that line then let me know. any racing chips or anything of that nature you guys prefer???
Mohrg Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:55 PM   #8
Xanthos
Almost-Original Postwhore
 
Xanthos's Avatar
 
Drives: Stick
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 12,661
First off, it really sounds from your first post (and it may just be poor wording) that you think the V6 comes with a turbo from the factory. I feel the need to point out that this is not the case. Not necessarily in case you think that, but because somebody who knows nothing about this car may see this thread and think "OMG, STOCK TURBO!"

That said, the V6 responded very well to just a CAI and cat-back, with no tune - 31 rear wheel horsepower. Thats about 37 at the flywheel, or about 340 flywheel at that point. Conservatively, long tubes may net another 15* at the wheels (depending on how restrictive the stock manifolds are...), which would put you at almost 360* at the flywheel. Those numbers should improve a bit with a tune, so with an intake a full exhaust I'd wager you'd be able to get close to 375*.

Past that you'll need something a bit more exotic - maybe an underdrive pulley kit, or some hotter cams; boost would work; and Zex just announced a 55 horsepower NOS kit.

It will definitely be possible to get to 400 horses at the flywheel. How you get there will make a big difference in how your car drives and acts, however.

Your mileage may vary.
- X

* Disclaimer: These numbers are based solely on my research and experience. They are nothing more than bench dyno results. Take them with a grain of salt.
__________________
Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:57 PM   #9
ponycrusher21
 
ponycrusher21's Avatar
 
Drives: the passenger seat
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: awesometown,tn
Posts: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohrg Beast View Post
Just wonder is there gonna be any upgrades or anything i can do to my Lt to boost the hp of my car. and on the start if i punch the gas to the floor the car has...well not the best take off.but heres the catch. if i take off and only hold the gas down for second or so, let off, then punch it again. its ten times more potent. it will through you back in the seat with incredible torque. anyway or anything i can do to actually get that kind of take off without double tapping the gas. my main goal if possible is to get my V6 turbo. which has around 306 hp, as close to the v8 as possible. without giving up 29mpg for lets say 9 mpg.LOL..i would ultimately like to push it to about 400 hp but if i can just boost it enough to get the same hp as the off the line SS/s then i would be done with this creation, and not have to buy anymore. any constructive help is appreciated. im a car person but ive never done anything hp and power upgrades before. just the basic stuff.which is why im asking.
you should post pics of your car lol
__________________


Ponycrusher 21
ponycrusher21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:14 PM   #10
Mohrg Beast
TURBO HUNTER!!!
 
Mohrg Beast's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro Lt Vin #1974
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanthosV6 View Post
First off, it really sounds from your first post (and it may just be poor wording) that you think the V6 comes with a turbo from the factory. I feel the need to point out that this is not the case. Not necessarily in case you think that, but because somebody who knows nothing about this car may see this thread and think "OMG, STOCK TURBO!"

That said, the V6 responded very well to just a CAI and cat-back, with no tune - 31 rear wheel horsepower. Thats about 37 at the flywheel, or about 340 flywheel at that point. Conservatively, long tubes may net another 15* at the wheels (depending on how restrictive the stock manifolds are...), which would put you at almost 360* at the flywheel. Those numbers should improve a bit with a tune, so with an intake a full exhaust I'd wager you'd be able to get close to 375*.

Past that you'll need something a bit more exotic - maybe an underdrive pulley kit, or some hotter cams; boost would work; and Zex just announced a 55 horsepower NOS kit.

It will definitely be possible to get to 400 horses at the flywheel. How you get there will make a big difference in how your car drives and acts, however.

Your mileage may vary.
- X

* Disclaimer: These numbers are based solely on my research and experience. They are nothing more than bench dyno results. Take them with a grain of salt.
i meant get my v6 turbo'd
Mohrg Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:15 PM   #11
Mohrg Beast
TURBO HUNTER!!!
 
Mohrg Beast's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro Lt Vin #1974
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponycrusher21 View Post
you should post pics of your car lol
sarcasm????
Mohrg Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:17 PM   #12
Mohrg Beast
TURBO HUNTER!!!
 
Mohrg Beast's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro Lt Vin #1974
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanthosV6 View Post
First off, it really sounds from your first post (and it may just be poor wording) that you think the V6 comes with a turbo from the factory. I feel the need to point out that this is not the case. Not necessarily in case you think that, but because somebody who knows nothing about this car may see this thread and think "OMG, STOCK TURBO!"

That said, the V6 responded very well to just a CAI and cat-back, with no tune - 31 rear wheel horsepower. Thats about 37 at the flywheel, or about 340 flywheel at that point. Conservatively, long tubes may net another 15* at the wheels (depending on how restrictive the stock manifolds are...), which would put you at almost 360* at the flywheel. Those numbers should improve a bit with a tune, so with an intake a full exhaust I'd wager you'd be able to get close to 375*.

Past that you'll need something a bit more exotic - maybe an underdrive pulley kit, or some hotter cams; boost would work; and Zex just announced a 55 horsepower NOS kit.

It will definitely be possible to get to 400 horses at the flywheel. How you get there will make a big difference in how your car drives and acts, however.

Your mileage may vary.
- X

* Disclaimer: These numbers are based solely on my research and experience. They are nothing more than bench dyno results. Take them with a grain of salt.
so youre saying with just some more exhaust etc, and some tuning that i should almost reach 400 that way??? cause from what ive read around on the net about the situation i came to the same conclusion. but damn id really like a supercharger or twin turbo kit. but to be clear ive heard people talking saying v6 turbo this v6 turbo that. are they not turbo'd. mine has the piece on top that looks identical to the pics of the other turbos on the v6s..now that you mentioned it im wondering.
Mohrg Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:32 PM   #13
Venom40k
No... not the SS...
 
Venom40k's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1LT/RS *Red*
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Springfield, Ohio
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohrg Beast View Post
so youre saying with just some more exhaust etc, and some tuning that i should almost reach 400 that way??? cause from what ive read around on the net about the situation i came to the same conclusion. but damn id really like a supercharger or twin turbo kit. but to be clear ive heard people talking saying v6 turbo this v6 turbo that. are they not turbo'd. mine has the piece on top that looks identical to the pics of the other turbos on the v6s..now that you mentioned it im wondering.

They are Not turbo'd from factory lol. There are prolly only like a handful turbo'd by a few gearheads right now.
Venom40k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:34 PM   #14
Mohrg Beast
TURBO HUNTER!!!
 
Mohrg Beast's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro Lt Vin #1974
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 607
yeah i thought so too.
Mohrg Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:38 PM   #15
Mohrg Beast
TURBO HUNTER!!!
 
Mohrg Beast's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro Lt Vin #1974
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 607
id love to have mine either twin turbo'd or supercharged. that way i could keep up with the V8 stock Camaros or have more power than them. Everone talkes crap about the v6s what am i gonna do with a v8? the same exact thing im doing with the V6 its not like this world is like the fast and the furious. and we can race and destroy the state with minimal consequences. I dont really need the powered up v6 just want it..i know thats what people that have the v8s say but i bought the car cause i wanted it. i didnt even test drive it at all. or even look up anything about it online. i asked the guy if it had the v6 he said yeah. i had to have it..so i got it..lol
Mohrg Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 03:03 PM   #16
Xanthos
Almost-Original Postwhore
 
Xanthos's Avatar
 
Drives: Stick
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 12,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohrg Beast View Post
so youre saying with just some more exhaust etc, and some tuning that i should almost reach 400 that way??? cause from what ive read around on the net about the situation i came to the same conclusion. but damn id really like a supercharger or twin turbo kit. but to be clear ive heard people talking saying v6 turbo this v6 turbo that. are they not turbo'd. mine has the piece on top that looks identical to the pics of the other turbos on the v6s..now that you mentioned it im wondering.
What you have to understand is that once you have a catback and long tubes, there is almost nothing to be gained from "more exhaust."

Slapping on bigger pipes wouldn't really do much for getting to 400 horsepower. Now, if you're talking about going from 400 to whatever you next higher goal would be, well... thats a different story.

Not saying 400 horsepower isn't possible without breaking into internals or boosting, but its going to be stretching it. 400 is my goal as well, but I plan on going a bit more extensive (lightweight flywheel and crank pulley, methanol kit and really aggressive tune, etc.) than intake and exhaust.

Also, I don't think anybody has slapped a turbo on these yet. I know of one example of a work in progress, and a couple superchargers in development, but I doubt there are any (and certainly less than you can count on one hand) that are completed and running.

Give it some time. They will come.
- X
__________________
Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 03:12 PM   #17
Mohrg Beast
TURBO HUNTER!!!
 
Mohrg Beast's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro Lt Vin #1974
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanthosV6 View Post
What you have to understand is that once you have a catback and long tubes, there is almost nothing to be gained from "more exhaust."

Slapping on bigger pipes wouldn't really do much for getting to 400 horsepower. Now, if you're talking about going from 400 to whatever you next higher goal would be, well... thats a different story.

Not saying 400 horsepower isn't possible without breaking into internals or boosting, but its going to be stretching it. 400 is my goal as well, but I plan on going a bit more extensive (lightweight flywheel and crank pulley, methanol kit and really aggressive tune, etc.) than intake and exhaust.

Also, I don't think anybody has slapped a turbo on these yet. I know of one example of a work in progress, and a couple superchargers in development, but I doubt there are any (and certainly less than you can count on one hand) that are completed and running.

Give it some time. They will come.
- X
no im not wanting "longer tubes." actually i want my car to be as quiet as possible. which is why i havent already ordered the cat back exhaust and all that..dont like buying unless i can witness how it looks/sounds..but im thinking hard about your idea with the exhaust..that was always on my mind since i first got the car. and seen the stats about it online. so i might just do that , now that ive had someone to say they are trying the same thing. thanks alot. do you know if itll make the car crazy loud or just add hp and keep it quiet. i love how my car is almost inaudible until you put it in manual and bogg it in a low gear. so im hoping the cat backs will keep it quiet..what do you think???
Mohrg Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 03:14 PM   #18
Mohrg Beast
TURBO HUNTER!!!
 
Mohrg Beast's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro Lt Vin #1974
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanthosV6 View Post
What you have to understand is that once you have a catback and long tubes, there is almost nothing to be gained from "more exhaust."

Slapping on bigger pipes wouldn't really do much for getting to 400 horsepower. Now, if you're talking about going from 400 to whatever you next higher goal would be, well... thats a different story.

Not saying 400 horsepower isn't possible without breaking into internals or boosting, but its going to be stretching it. 400 is my goal as well, but I plan on going a bit more extensive (lightweight flywheel and crank pulley, methanol kit and really aggressive tune, etc.) than intake and exhaust.

Also, I don't think anybody has slapped a turbo on these yet. I know of one example of a work in progress, and a couple superchargers in development, but I doubt there are any (and certainly less than you can count on one hand) that are completed and running.

Give it some time. They will come.
- X
actually when i said "more exhaust" i meant a different exhaust system. LOL..sorry. not added on pipes and all that..was wondering what you where talking about until i scrolled up and read it..nah i meant a new exhaust system. not any additions..LOL.
Mohrg Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 03:25 PM   #19
Xanthos
Almost-Original Postwhore
 
Xanthos's Avatar
 
Drives: Stick
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 12,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohrg Beast View Post
actually when i said "more exhaust" i meant a different exhaust system. LOL..sorry. not added on pipes and all that..was wondering what you where talking about until i scrolled up and read it..nah i meant a new exhaust system. not any additions..LOL.
Well, I didn't think you meant "additions" either. I took it as "larger diameter pipes."

Also, bear in mind that if you want to stay emissions legal, you're looking at shorty headers (not long tubes), high flow cats (instead of test pipes), and a catback for the best power. Probably 35-40 horsepower at the wheels with no tune, 40-50 once tuning becomes available.

Meaning a total of 355-365 or so at the flywheel. One of the reasons I'm glad there is no emissions testing where I am. No inspections, no sniffer, nothing.
- X
__________________
Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 05:45 PM   #20
colorado pony
 
Drives: 1972 nova ss
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: colorado
Posts: 36
Question horsepower limits

does anyone know what the m6 transmission, driveline and rear end hp rates are???? at what hp do you go over the limits???
colorado pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 05:51 PM   #21
MadMaxx
Master of the V6
 
MadMaxx's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NC
Posts: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorado pony View Post
does anyone know what the m6 transmission, driveline and rear end hp rates are???? at what hp do you go over the limits???
The asin M6 box is rated at around 360lbs/tq maximum input. In reality, it's probably MUCH higher than that, but you reduce overall life the higher the power output.

Torque kills.
MadMaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:26 PM   #22
mikevrod
Twisted Brothers MC
 
mikevrod's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2 LT/RS
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Frankfort Il.
Posts: 71
I had a e-mail conversation with Lingenfelter and they will have a Turbo kit. They were waiting for their V6 to arrive as a mule for developement.
G

Just took delivery of my LT2/RS last night. First car was a light blue 69 coupe at 16 and latest is a Orange 10 at 50 years old. Awesome car. can't wait to start working on it.
mikevrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:37 AM   #23
JTinFL
 
JTinFL's Avatar
 
Drives: Fast ones
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 310
Can't wait to see the limits of the V6s as well.
JTinFL is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
V8 Camaro Performance Upgrades List Milk 1027 Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 85 11-11-2013 12:48 PM
Nelson Twin Turbo LS3 Engines for Camaro speedster Forced Induction - V8 28 03-14-2009 11:37 AM
Turbocharge your way to efficiency.....and power! Mr. Wyndham Forced Induction - V8 20 07-06-2008 12:46 PM
Gas engines: Here to stay Mr. Wyndham General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 0 05-05-2008 03:34 PM
GM takes two spots in WARDS 10 Best Engines Scotsman General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 10 12-14-2007 08:02 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.