Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

sjm autoprod
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-18-2013, 11:33 PM   #1
craig0214

Drives: 2011 camaro ss
Factory cats with headers

Go ahead and tell me that this topic has been talked about before... Im Sure it has. But here it goes anyway.
I have ordered a set of kooks longtube headers. I was hoping to bolt them right up , do some burnouts and drive away. Now I have ran into a question. Do I have to go buy high flow cats?? Or can I use my factory cats?? I understand that high flow cats will give me more power... But .. I just dropped a lot of cash for these headers and really don't want to drop another 500-600 for high flow cats. I'm thinking that if i do use my factory cats , it probably will not void any warranty either. I know that if I cut out my cats completely , I will get the maximum power but will defiantly lose warranty . I have only 20k miles on the car... Really don't want to void any warranty just quite yet.
craig0214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:42 PM   #2
rberns

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
your stock cats will not bolt up to any long tube header. If you buy shorties (short headers) then they will bolt up to factory cats, but you wont get as much power as going long tubes. With long tubes you have 2 choices. Buy the HFC made for the specific long tubes your are buying or go catless.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS, Circle D 3200, ADM Transmission Cooler, BTR Valvetrain, Cam Motion .621 .595 228/244 113+4, ARH 1 7/8, Cold Air Inductions, Katech C5R TC, Melling HV, BTR SLR lifters, Trunion Upgrade, LS2 Dampner, LS9 head gaskets, Bo White PTB, RX CC, GFX, Subs, Tuned by Rhino79 at GPI.
rberns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:47 PM   #3
Ocx

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Spend the money now and get the HFC's. If you're going with LT's then get a tune as well.
Ocx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:59 PM   #4
craig0214

That's not what I wanted to hear...lol. I have already ordered the long tube headers, I"m defiantly not going shorty headers. I just don't have the extra 500-600 for the high flow cats.... Looks like it's back the savings account we go. And I think I'm right about voiding warranty with the complete removal of the cats. I read that the car sounds good without cats... But I really don't want the odor in the car either.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:07 AM   #5
AutoAgenda

Drives: 69 Camaro, 02 Escalade, 67 Eleanor
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig0214 View Post
That's not what I wanted to hear...lol. I have already ordered the long tube headers, I"m defiantly not going shorty headers. I just don't have the extra 500-600 for the high flow cats.... Looks like it's back the savings account we go. And I think I'm right about voiding warranty with the complete removal of the cats. I read that the car sounds good without cats... But I really don't want the odor in the car either.
It isn't worth the future emissions headache either. Adding headers and removing cats won't void your warranty, but the tune most likely will.

Some more info here: Best Long Tube Headers for the Money
AutoAgenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:08 AM   #6
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533, 2016 2SS
Tuning voids the warranty remove cats does not.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:29 AM   #7
Ocx

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
LT's without a tune is a waste. I compare it to Lebron James in The Finals these last 2 weeks...something is holding that man back.
Ocx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:38 AM   #8
Johnthegreat

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS black camaro
Is the order really that bad?
Johnthegreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:40 AM   #9
Cat988h

Drives: Rally yellow 2011 Camaro 1SSRS
If it is not too late order the headers and cats as a package if you can it should be cheaper than $600 that way.
ATI Super Damper, Katech C5R Chain, Jannetty 470 Comp Cam, Comp Valve Springs, Mellings Oil Pump, Manley Push Rods, Comp Tringion Upgrade, Cold Air Inductions Intake, 1-7/8 American Racing Headers w Cats, MBRP 3 Inch Exhaust, RX Catch Can, Eaton Tru Trac, 3.91 OEM, DSS Drive And Half Shafts, LPW Diff Cover,3 Inch Noweeds, Amsoil Z-Rod, Tuned by Jannetty Racing
Cat988h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:14 AM   #10
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rberns View Post
your stock cats will not bolt up to any long tube header.
This. It just isn't an option.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:18 AM   #11
RJT-SS

Drives: '11 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnthegreat View Post
Is the order really that bad?
That's like asking which exhaust system sounds best. Some people like the smell; some don't. All I can say with certainty is that the smell is always there. Whether you can smell it and/or like it is completely up to your nose.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:26 AM   #12
RJT-SS

Drives: '11 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig0214 View Post
Bite the bullet and get the HFCs and a tune. You will be glad you did.

Removing the cats does not void your warranty but it may prevent you from passing your state's emission testing (if you have one). This is not to be confused with a tune; that's a separate issue regarding warranty.

These cars sound great with LTs. No cats will just make that sound louder. Also, depending on what you have for the rest of your exhaust system, the tone can change....all very subjective and endlessly debated.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:35 PM   #13
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
As has been said. Adding headers, with or without cats, doesn't void your warranty. It's the tune that may or may not do that. That would depend on how cooperative your local GM dealer is. Your headers should be coming with offroad pipes so that's what i'd do for now. The smell isn't too bad once you get it tuned. Keep an eye out for Kooks cats in the members for sale section. They come available from time to time for around $250-300.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:23 AM   #14
craig0214

Great advise. I will slap those longtubes on and leave the cats off. Will I throw any codes? Nothing more embarrassing than riding around with a check engine light on.. And as far as emissions, I live in Arkansas. That's the last thing I have to worry about. And If I get tuned, I'm thinking about a plug in, like a diablo , and with that I can always go back to factory settings.