Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

PFYC
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 06-18-2013, 11:33 PM   #1
craig0214

Drives: 2011 camaro ss
Factory cats with headers

Go ahead and tell me that this topic has been talked about before... Im Sure it has. But here it goes anyway.
I have ordered a set of kooks longtube headers. I was hoping to bolt them right up , do some burnouts and drive away. Now I have ran into a question. Do I have to go buy high flow cats?? Or can I use my factory cats?? I understand that high flow cats will give me more power... But .. I just dropped a lot of cash for these headers and really don't want to drop another 500-600 for high flow cats. I'm thinking that if i do use my factory cats , it probably will not void any warranty either. I know that if I cut out my cats completely , I will get the maximum power but will defiantly lose warranty . I have only 20k miles on the car... Really don't want to void any warranty just quite yet.
craig0214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:42 PM   #2
rberns

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
your stock cats will not bolt up to any long tube header. If you buy shorties (short headers) then they will bolt up to factory cats, but you wont get as much power as going long tubes. With long tubes you have 2 choices. Buy the HFC made for the specific long tubes your are buying or go catless.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:47 PM   #3
Ocx

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Spend the money now and get the HFC's. If you're going with LT's then get a tune as well.
Ocx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:59 PM   #4
craig0214

That's not what I wanted to hear...lol. I have already ordered the long tube headers, I"m defiantly not going shorty headers. I just don't have the extra 500-600 for the high flow cats.... Looks like it's back the savings account we go. And I think I'm right about voiding warranty with the complete removal of the cats. I read that the car sounds good without cats... But I really don't want the odor in the car either.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:07 AM   #5
AutoAgenda

Drives: 69 Camaro, 02 Escalade, 67 Eleanor
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig0214 View Post
That's not what I wanted to hear...lol. I have already ordered the long tube headers, I"m defiantly not going shorty headers. I just don't have the extra 500-600 for the high flow cats.... Looks like it's back the savings account we go. And I think I'm right about voiding warranty with the complete removal of the cats. I read that the car sounds good without cats... But I really don't want the odor in the car either.
It isn't worth the future emissions headache either. Adding headers and removing cats won't void your warranty, but the tune most likely will.

Some more info here: Best Long Tube Headers for the Money
AutoAgenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:08 AM   #6
mikeyg36
The GT Troll Hundred

Drives: Cammed 2012 AGM 2SS/RS LS3
Tuning voids the warranty remove cats does not.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:29 AM   #7
Ocx

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
LT's without a tune is a waste. I compare it to Lebron James in The Finals these last 2 weeks...something is holding that man back.
Ocx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:38 AM   #8
Johnthegreat

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS black camaro
Is the order really that bad?
Johnthegreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:40 AM   #9
Cat988h

Drives: Rally yellow 2011 Camaro 1SSRS
If it is not too late order the headers and cats as a package if you can it should be cheaper than $600 that way.
ATI Super Damper, Katech C5R Chain, Jannetty 470 Comp Cam, Comp Valve Springs, Mellings Oil Pump, Manley Push Rods, Comp Tringion Upgrade, Cold Air Inductions Intake, 1-7/8 American Racing Headers w Cats, MBRP 3 Inch Exhaust, RX Catch Can, Eaton Tru Trac, 3.91 OEM, DSS Drive And Half Shafts, LPW Diff Cover,3 Inch Noweeds, Amsoil Z-Rod, Tuned by Jannetty Racing
Cat988h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:14 AM   #10
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rberns View Post
your stock cats will not bolt up to any long tube header.
This. It just isn't an option.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:18 AM   #11
RJT-SS

Drives: '11 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnthegreat View Post
Is the order really that bad?
That's like asking which exhaust system sounds best. Some people like the smell; some don't. All I can say with certainty is that the smell is always there. Whether you can smell it and/or like it is completely up to your nose.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:26 AM   #12
RJT-SS

Drives: '11 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Bite the bullet and get the HFCs and a tune. You will be glad you did.

Removing the cats does not void your warranty but it may prevent you from passing your state's emission testing (if you have one). This is not to be confused with a tune; that's a separate issue regarding warranty.

These cars sound great with LTs. No cats will just make that sound louder. Also, depending on what you have for the rest of your exhaust system, the tone can change....all very subjective and endlessly debated.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:35 PM   #13
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
As has been said. Adding headers, with or without cats, doesn't void your warranty. It's the tune that may or may not do that. That would depend on how cooperative your local GM dealer is. Your headers should be coming with offroad pipes so that's what i'd do for now. The smell isn't too bad once you get it tuned. Keep an eye out for Kooks cats in the members for sale section. They come available from time to time for around $250-300.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:23 AM   #14
craig0214

Great advise. I will slap those longtubes on and leave the cats off. Will I throw any codes? Nothing more embarrassing than riding around with a check engine light on.. And as far as emissions, I live in Arkansas. That's the last thing I have to worry about. And If I get tuned, I'm thinking about a plug in, like a diablo , and with that I can always go back to factory settings.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:25 AM   #15
mikeSS

Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocx View Post
LT's without a tune is a waste. I compare it to Lebron James in The Finals these last 2 weeks...something is holding that man back.
the sound isnt worth it ?
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:44 AM   #16
Dynamite

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS XD
Quote:
Great advise. I will slap those longtubes on and leave the cats off. Will I throw any codes? Nothing more embarrassing than riding around with a check engine light on.. And as far as emissions, I live in Arkansas. That's the last thing I have to worry about. And If I get tuned, I'm thinking about a plug in, like a diablo , and with that I can always go back to factory settings.
Headers without a tune will give a CEL. No way around that except for kooks green cats.

And resetting back to factory will still show that your car was tuned, even if they can't see what you did. So keep that in mind.
Dynamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:24 AM   #17
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamite View Post
Headers without a tune will give a CEL. No way around that except for kooks green cats.

And resetting back to factory will still show that your car was tuned, even if they can't see what you did. So keep that in mind.
This

NONE of the off the shelf programmers have the ability to turn off the rear O2 sensors. Those are the ones that will throw the CEL. If you have a online tuner that uses the diablo, he can turn them off in a mail order tune.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:42 AM   #18
jonathanmoguel
MM.CC

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS LS3
Quote:
Go ahead and tell me that this topic has been talked about before... Im Sure it has. But here it goes anyway.
I have ordered a set of kooks longtube headers. I was hoping to bolt them right up , do some burnouts and drive away. Now I have ran into a question. Do I have to go buy high flow cats?? Or can I use my factory cats?? I understand that high flow cats will give me more power... But .. I just dropped a lot of cash for these headers and really don't want to drop another 500-600 for high flow cats. I'm thinking that if i do use my factory cats , it probably will not void any warranty either. I know that if I cut out my cats completely , I will get the maximum power but will defiantly lose warranty . I have only 20k miles on the car... Really don't want to void any warranty just quite yet.
You can always cut one of the 2cats off out of the remaining 4 that come with the car.
jonathanmoguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:50 AM   #19
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanmoguel View Post
You can always cut one of the 2cats off out of the remaining 4 that come with the car.
^^^clueless and a bad idea!

That's a hack job!
01 Ws6, m6, ASC#618 of 1583,40k Miles,shortblock built by AES the rest built by me,Ls3 416,FAST 102, NW102,LPE Ls3 heads

Join us:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/5138...3848358733509/
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:08 AM   #20
Mikes SS

Drives: '10 CGM 2SS/RS 6M
the guy asked a question...I suppose if you really wanted to, you could cut the cats off your OEM mid-pipes and then welded them into the catless off road pipes that usually come with a set of headers..only benefit would be the lack of smell VS a catless setup.
Mikes SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:10 AM   #21
Bell040

Drives: 2SS/RS - Black - GFX
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanmoguel View Post
not with LTs... all 4 cats have to be removed.

Quote:
go catless. do not worry about the CEL until you can get some $ for HF cats and a tune.

It is possible that it will take several weeks before you throw a code... and you can always clear the code with a handheld or at autozone. I drove around for a month with LTs (and HF cats) and never threw a code.
Built: 3-30-09 (#1691)
Recieved: 6-12-09

Blacked out, Cammed (Lunati Voodoo 233/245, .578/.598 @114°, +4°), ARH LTs, VR OTR CAI, Cutouts, and lots of other fun mods.
Bell040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:37 AM   #22
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
This pic might help you understand. The top one is the stock header with the stock cats mounted to it. The bottom is a LT header with a HF cat. You can see that the OEM mid-pipe will no way bolt up.

Now, that being said, you an buy some connection pipes that don't have Cats. You just need to check to make sure cats aren't required in your area for inspection.
Attached Images

-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:49 AM   #23
Kooks Headers

Drives: 2013 SS Camaro
As already stated our headers will not bolt up to your factory cats. I would recommend going with our new Green Cats for the most power and still maintaining warranty and emissions. Our Green cats can be installed with no tune and no CEL. You will pick up power with headers and no tuning, but to get the most from your combo we recommend a tune.

Kooks Custom Headers
Call us! 866-586-KOOK (5665)
Kooks Headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:15 AM   #24
Mikes SS

Drives: '10 CGM 2SS/RS 6M
Name:  kooks2.JPG
Views: 282
Size:  69.9 KB

seems to me like the OP was asking if there was a way to use the oem cats with headers?? Sure..Cut/weld..would you want to ?
Mikes SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:54 PM   #25
craig0214

Thanks so much for all the responses guys. I have learned alot. To answer the last question..Do I want to cut and weld to my brand new Headers..hell no. I should have looked into a package deal with the longtubes and HF cats together. I looked at the Kooks Green high flow cats... and as much as i would like to just pull a couple bucks out from under my couch seat and buy some, I was looking for a cheaper route. lol.

Thanks for the pics caveman. I see the huge difference in the set up. Like I said before , I live in arkansas...there are no inspections/emissions testing here....no at all. Most people around here drive tractors. so, no worries there.

After all the reading and listening to you guys talk..and some of you sound like you know whats going on..I'm going to wait until I purchase some HF cats before I put these headers on. I said before that I was going to just go catless and deal with it...but is seems like the best thing to do. I dont want to have to go right back up to the shop when I'm able to purchase the cats and have all that redone. I have a little OCD and I cant have that check engine light on..it would drive me crazy. I will wait until I find some HF cats and have everything put on then.
Thanks again guys