Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Ride Tech
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Camaro 1LE Forum Camaro 1LE Package releated discussions

Old 04-07-2015, 04:58 PM   #1
Ir0nM4n

Drives: 14 1LE
1LE for 2016 Camaro

So the wife has always complained about the manual. I tried to help her learn, unfortunately she does not like manual. So she said if you want you can trade your car in for one with an automatic. Now with that said, I wounder if GM would do something along the line of the Z51 and allow a 1LE to have an automatic... Or else I will have to wait for a ZL1....

So perhaps I will be looking into a 2016 Camaro... and the wife isnt the full blame. I knew full well that my left knee was an issue (military related) so now it may be time for an auto.

Anyway hope the 16 Auto will be something to look at.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:06 PM   #2
Chris1SS1LE

Drives: 2014 Camaro Red Hot 1LE NPP Recaro
So how often does she think she will use it. We did this when we bought our 02 SS and got the automatic. She drove it twice and realized it was more power then she bargained for. After that we never ever got an automatic pony car.
Chris1SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 06:23 PM   #3
The_Blur
Jayhawk USN

Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
The 1LE is basically what GM learned after making the SS. It was a package that only existed because GM could do better. It's what the SS was supposed to be. GM, having learned these lessons with the 1LE, will probably implement them right away with the next Camaro SS. If a 1LE exists in the 6th generation, it will be a whole different track machine.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 08:07 PM   #4
R19

Drives: Black 2015 Camaro 2SS 1LE
What about a professional lesson(s)? I won't get specifics, but sometimes certain people of an unspecified gender can be difficult.

Also, if I were going to teach stick, I wouldn't do it on a Camaro. I would look into rent a wreck and a 4 cylinder much less powerful car.
R19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:59 AM   #5
Kiteboarder85

Drives: 2015 RS/SS 1LE NPP and Recaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
The 1LE is basically what GM learned after making the SS. It was a package that only existed because GM could do better. It's what the SS was supposed to be. GM, having learned these lessons with the 1LE, will probably implement them right away with the next Camaro SS. If a 1LE exists in the 6th generation, it will be a whole different track machine.

I don't buy this. The 1LE is not the 'new' SS because they figured out they could do better. The 1LE was made for an entry level track car. It is DEFINITELY not built for the ordinary SS driver that likes a smooth soft ride.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:12 AM   #6
ITRIEDEL

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiteboarder85 View Post
I don't buy this. The 1LE is not the 'new' SS because they figured out they could do better. The 1LE was made for an entry level track car. It is DEFINITELY not built for the ordinary SS driver that likes a smooth soft ride.

Yes and No.

They will probably put almost if not everything that came on the 1LE on the 16. Ford and Dodge do the same.

Look at the 08 Bullitt and Boss 302 as an example. All specialty cars, yet a lot of their features were inherited by the following year model.

Previous:
2012 Mustang GT 5.0 (bolt-ons)
2003 Nissan SER Spec-V
2008 Highland Green Bullitt
1994 Cobra 70mm Turbo (571rwhp)
1996 Mustang
2003 Mustang GT (bolt-ons)
1991 DSM FWD (2g hybrid)
1975 Chevrolet Camaro
1991 Corvette
1974 Chevrolet Nova
ITRIEDEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 09:22 AM   #7
Ragnar

Drives: '14 2SS 1LE
Future 1LE will be released when? I'll throw this in. It took '2010-2012', 3 years to introduce the 1LE as a package for the SS. How long this time, with a whole new platform?
Old 04-08-2015, 09:32 AM   #8
Mikey D

Drives: 2013 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ir0nM4n View Post
So she said if you want you can trade your car in for one with an automatic.
Does she let you have your balls back when you leave the house, or does she keep them in her purse at all times?
Mikey D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 09:43 AM   #9
'01LS1

Drives: 2003 Pete
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ir0nM4n View Post
So the wife has always complained about the manual. I tried to help her learn, unfortunately she does not like manual. So she said if you want you can trade your car in for one with an automatic. Now with that said, I wounder if GM would do something along the line of the Z51 and allow a 1LE to have an automatic... Or else I will have to wait for a ZL1....
You can get an auto 1LE now, well sort of.
There is one at a dealer in STL that has a manual with this package.
V8 Coupe Performance Package
Includes:
Black-painted engine cover
Strut tower brace
Chevrolet® 1LE® performance suspension
Performance decals and performance sill plates

However, went to Chevrolets site & it allowed the build of a L99/auto with this Performance Package option.
@ $2995. You do not get the wheels nor the flat black vinyl. Did not read to see what the rear gearing would be(with an auto). The manual car at link is 3.45 vs the 1LE @ 3.91.

It is an option anyway. Think it may be over priced vs the 1LE at $3500.

http://www.elcochevrolet.com/f_Windo...FJ1EW1F9170207
'01LS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 09:46 AM   #10
woodside783
Casey Woodside

Drives: a very fun car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
Future 1LE will be released when? I'll throw this in. It took '2010-2012', 3 years to introduce the 1LE as a package for the SS. How long this time, with a whole new platform?
i wonder the same thing
http://youtu.be/CSc9aPh_X_w
woodside783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:16 AM   #11
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
1LE right off the bat in 2016. I see no way GM is going to let Ford have a "track pack" Mustang while having nothing to offer. This "track toy" horse is out of the barn. There ain't no putting it back.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:35 AM   #12
Ragnar

Drives: '14 2SS 1LE
It would seem these days somethings could be developed faster. Look how much R&D, the GT350 has been going thru. The 5th Gen 1LE set a high bar, it has to be developed right going forward. With the small numbers of 1LE's sold, who knows what GM will do.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:44 AM   #13
Kiteboarder85

Drives: 2015 RS/SS 1LE NPP and Recaros
I think it will just be an option like it is today.
Old 04-08-2015, 11:05 AM   #14
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Unless your wife is driving your Camaro every other day, I wouldn't get the automatic.
Old 04-08-2015, 11:11 AM   #15
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
I don't think you're far off....check this quote out from the last Camaro Six press release:

"We kept the cornering confidence and control that make the Gen 5 Camaro 1LE so fun to drive, and added a greater sense of agility,” he said. “The new Camaro brakes harder, flicks into corners more quickly, and drives out of the corner faster. We expect it will set the benchmark in the segment and give many sports cars a challenge.”

He didn't say ZL1...or reference the existing "base model". The truly "fun" driving experience that the 1LE offers is second-to-none in the segment, certainly for the price point.

And I've heard it whispered on multiple occasions that the 1LE is "what the SS should have been." But there was always the concern for the buyer that likes a soft, cushy ride.

Well...I can see these ironing out one of two ways. Either A, they expect the new SS buyer to suck it up and get used to a stiffer ride (it's really not that bad, at all), or B, they utilize Mag Ride as standard equipment to keep the masses comfy.

Don't forget, either - these people building the car are fresh off the Z/28 engineering project. In terms of driving dynamic and "feel" (forget power for a moment), there was the SS...then there was the ZL1, a great improvement. Then they hit the sweet spot with the 1LE, and everyone loved it. THEN...they put the 1LE formula on steroids and came out with the Z/28. Which again, everyone loved. It feels...perfect. Now these same engineers are working on the Six.

At any rate - I think we can expect the new SS to pick up right where the 5th-gen 1LE left off. That's my opinion, only.

Will there be another 1LE or track package to ramp it up even further? Wouldn't that be fun?

Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 11:28 AM   #16
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
I think it will just be an option like it is today.
I agree with this, just feel the option will be available right off the bat.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 12:09 PM   #17
skidawgz

Drives: 2004 Mustang v6 w/m112
First, OP... can you sell me your car?

Next, I agree with the statement that the 1LE is what GM learned with the SS. Some elements are not ideal for a DD Camaro. However, similar to the new Z06 and the outgoing ZR1, I think you will see many 1LE elements on the next Camaro. There may be some Z28 elements on the next 1LE.
skidawgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 01:15 PM   #18
ST1LE

Drives: 2013 AGM 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
At any rate - I think we can expect the new SS to pick up right where the 5th-gen 1LE left off. That's my opinion, only.
I agree 100%!
Old 04-08-2015, 01:38 PM   #19
krisprz2010camaross
SoCal HT5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss/Rs Transformers,L99
I think gm will have a 1le for the 6th Gen but maybe not right away, but I could be wrong. However I do think they will release the 1le package for automatics because it will reach out to different/more people.
Corsa Zl1 black tipped catback exhaust
Dyno Tune
Jet chip mass air flow sensor
Billet oil catch can
Taylor racing spark plug wires
1le strut tower brace-TPIS spacers
BBK 102mm throttle body
Fast lsxr 102 intake manifold
Slp 25% underdive pulley
Vitesse motorsports TC
Granatelli brake rotors(slotted/dimpled)
BMR
Front & rear sway bars
1inch springs
Driveshaft tunnel brace
Upper control arm bushings
Adjustable trailing arms
Adjustable toe rods
krisprz2010camaross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 02:25 PM   #20
markgws6

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS/1LE
When I test drove a standard SS in early 2013, it sucked. The only thing that did not suck, was the power. It was a 6 speed manual car. The suspension was "soft". The steering felt vague... It was a loaded 2SS, with a sunroof so it probably weighed more than my current car.

I have no doubt these issues will be addressed in the 6th gen. Don't forget the SS is the performance model of the Camaro. LT and LS are standard models. and there will even be a 4 cylinder too. Then of course later on a ZL1 and Z/28. This is a profound statement but I'll say it. They may not do a 1LE. If the new SS is really good, and it beats most competitors on-track, there is no reason to improve it, until a new Z/28 comes out.

CAI intake, Apex cold air scoop and washer bottle, ZR1 diff fluid, Hawk Street-Race Pads, Motul RBF 600, Russell steel brake lines, skip-shift override, SRP Pedals, No trunk or hood insulation, No Spare tire inflator (at the track), NPP fuse pull, octane fuse reset
markgws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 04:58 PM   #21
krisprz2010camaross
SoCal HT5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss/Rs Transformers,L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by markgws6 View Post
and there will even be a 4 cylinder too.
No. I remember reading or seeing(I forget it was about a year or 2 ago) an interview that one of the people who work at gm or chevy said there will never be a 4 cylinder in a camaro. Just because the mustang now has a 4 cylinder turbo option doesn't mean that Chevy would do that. Look at Dodge they didn't and they knew that Ford was already coming out with a 4 cylinder before they released new models of the challenger and charger. So I doubt it.
Corsa Zl1 black tipped catback exhaust
Dyno Tune
Jet chip mass air flow sensor
Billet oil catch can
Taylor racing spark plug wires
1le strut tower brace-TPIS spacers
BBK 102mm throttle body
Fast lsxr 102 intake manifold
Slp 25% underdive pulley
Vitesse motorsports TC
Granatelli brake rotors(slotted/dimpled)
BMR
Front & rear sway bars
1inch springs
Driveshaft tunnel brace
Upper control arm bushings
Adjustable trailing arms
Adjustable toe rods
krisprz2010camaross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 05:42 PM   #22
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisprz2010camaross View Post
No. I remember reading or seeing(I forget it was about a year or 2 ago) an interview that one of the people who work at gm or chevy said there will never be a 4 cylinder in a camaro. Just because the mustang now has a 4 cylinder turbo option doesn't mean that Chevy would do that. Look at Dodge they didn't and they knew that Ford was already coming out with a 4 cylinder before they released new models of the challenger and charger. So I doubt it.
There will be a 4 cylinder. That article you're referencing was at best a rumor-piece, assuming facts based on off-the-record comments. No truth, there.

Dodge continues to build massively heavy cars...a 4-cylinder won't have enough punch to do anything. Chevy evaluated using a 4 cylinder engine in the 5th-generation car. It didn't make sense with the size and weight of the car. But the next car is getting lighter...

So if Mustang does it...and the Cadillac ATS does it...and the new car is getting lighter...you better bet there'll be a 4-banger Camaro. That doesn't mean it'll suck though. Should be interesting.

Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:23 PM   #23
Chris1SS1LE

Drives: 2014 Camaro Red Hot 1LE NPP Recaro
But a car company can't have all kinds of packages at the get go, so just like the 2010-2015 it took a few years to get to ZL1, 1LE, Z28, etc

Ford is dropping the GT350 and R in a year because they need a true 1LE beater GT350 and Z28 Beater GT350R.

Plus you need a year or two to work the bugs out of a new platform.
Chris1SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 09:42 PM   #24
backeddy

Drives: 2014 SS 1LE
I expect to see no 1LE until year 3...Like another poster said, it takes a while to iron out real world issues.
Old 04-08-2015, 11:22 PM   #25
Camaro Dude
and Sledge

Drives: '13 1LE, 2SS, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1SS1LE View Post
Plus you need a year or two to work the bugs out of a new platform.
EXACTLY, and precisely why I never buy first year anything due to teething issues, the stats on many makes of cars is there to prove the last 2 decades on how it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by backeddy View Post
I expect to see no 1LE until year 3...Like another poster said, it takes a while to iron out real world issues.
Yup

Quote:
A couple of mods make a couple of interesting points to debate your view, but let's face it, will an entry level SS have G2 track tires? Nope.

So def yes and no, question is, will new suspension design overshadow all else and supersede even previous 1LE with new base SS?

We can only speculate, but stock for stock, I'll put my money on previous 1LE with small edge on performance due to tire and overall track tuned suspension vs street.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote