Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Hines Performance (HPE)
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls Report, discuss and diagnose any issues and problems with your Camaro, including warranty discussions.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:37 PM   #1
jeremy3721

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Door weatherstrip wearing out

I searched but I don't know the correct terms so I may be missing it. The weatherstripping along the bottom of my door is getting worn out when I get out of the car. I park in a garage and I have to put my foot there to brace myself when I get out. It seems like it wouldn't tear so easily but has anyone experienced this and found a solution?
Old 06-20-2013, 06:46 PM   #2
union894
Let the smoke roll

Drives: 2010 SS camaro 6M 13 Cadillac SRX
I have a 2010 and mine is tearing a little also, I thought about replacing it soon.
union894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:52 PM   #3
jeremy3721

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Here is a photo of what I'm trying to describe. Seems like it would be a waste of time to replace it until I figure out a way to prevent it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-20-2013, 08:11 PM   #4
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy3721 View Post
I searched but I don't know the correct terms so I may be missing it. The weatherstripping along the bottom of my door is getting worn out when I get out of the car. I park in a garage and I have to put my foot there to brace myself when I get out. It seems like it wouldn't tear so easily but has anyone experienced this and found a solution?
Very sorry to hear of this concern jeremy3721. Please let me know if I can assist in this matter. Feel free to send me a PM regarding this concern.

Best regards,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:50 PM   #5
Bonanza7
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010, Rally Yellow, Black stripes
Mine wore out quickly. It was replaced under warranty, with many gripes from Chevrolet, and was told they would not replace it again. Now it is wearing out again. Still under warranty, but they have already said no to a replacement. They said it was driver carelessness causing them to wear out. (Apparently it happens a lot) Actually, poor placement by GM.
Bonanza7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:18 PM   #6
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Only way to prevent your problems, is to figure out a way to keep your feet off of it. None of my cars have had this problem, but then again I lift my feet over the sill area.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:24 PM   #7
Bonanza7
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
Only way to prevent your problems, is to figure out a way to keep your feet off of it. None of my cars have had this problem, but then again I lift my feet over the sill area.
True, but should you have to enter and exit a car in a completely different manner than other cars? Should you have to look out, and have passengers be constantly reminded to : "lift your feet" whenever they ride in your car because of poor thinking by the designers? Seems to me you should be able to use normal entry/exit procedures without having to be worried about how fragile the car is.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:28 PM   #8
SimpleGreen

Drives: 2013 1SS/1LE IOM
I haven't torn up my molding in over a year of getting in and out with steel toed boots on. My plastic by the door is just fine too. Or maybe my standards are low
Old 06-20-2013, 09:56 PM   #9
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT
I think someone needs to make a video on "how to properly enter/exit a camaro".
Old 06-20-2013, 10:21 PM   #10
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza7 View Post
Mine wore out quickly. It was replaced under warranty, with many gripes from Chevrolet, and was told they would not replace it again. Now it is wearing out again. Still under warranty, but they have already said no to a replacement. They said it was driver carelessness causing them to wear out. (Apparently it happens a lot) Actually, poor placement by GM.
Bonanza7,

Also very sorry to hear that you're experiencing similar issues. If you'd like, I'd be more than happy to look into this for you. Feel free to send me a PM at anytime and I'll see what I can do!

Kindly,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 06-20-2013, 10:24 PM   #11
Dznts
Anabolic Connoisseur

Drives: Blown Camaro 2SS/RS LS3-2007 Tahoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy82 View Post
I think someone needs to make a video on "how to properly enter/exit a camaro".
through the window
Old 06-20-2013, 10:30 PM   #12
kmm1412
The Bolt-On Beast

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS IBM w/CGM Stripes
Mine is being replaced at the dealer under warranty tomorrow. Only warranty claim I have made on the car so far. Mine is a garage queen also that is not driven at least 4 months a year. Looks to me like a poor material composition in manufacturing.
MODS - 1LE Track Pack Suspension Upgrade|Kooks Custom Stepped Headers & HFCs|Cold Air Inductions Black CAI|ADM Performance Scoop|Vmax IBM CNC Ported Throttle Body|Rx Extreme IBM Catch Can & Breather|Borla S-Type Catback Exhaust w/Solo J-pipes|IBM Heritage Grill|AAC IBM & Tinted LED Sidemarkers|Roto-Fab IBM Engine & Radiator Covers|463RWHP/459RWTQ Tune by Dale Cherry

kmm1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:05 PM   #13
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Mine looks like I rub it with my shoes when I get in and out, doesn't bother me, was at a show and a lady pointed out to me
Old 06-21-2013, 12:31 AM   #14
Aubrey64

Drives: 2010 Camaro LLT/RS
That is exactly how mine looks! and I agree, I dont want to waste my time/money to fix it just for it to happen again
Old 06-21-2013, 04:58 AM   #15
REDXIIIDave
El Chupacabra

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS A6 Black/Black
I just don't get it. I have never used the door sills as a step when getting out of any car. I could understand it if it was a lifted truck.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:25 AM   #16
Comrando
SScalator

Drives: '11 CGM LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubrey64 View Post
That is exactly how mine looks! and I agree, I dont want to waste my time/money to fix it just for it to happen again
I buy new shoes every year. Even though I know I'll wear them out.
I never thought of asking the manufacturer to replace them.

What is your plan when the floor mats start to look shabby?
Old 06-21-2013, 07:18 AM   #17
Bonanza7
Account Suspended

Floor mats wear out on all cars. Door sill weather stripping does not except from old age.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:18 AM   #18
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza7 View Post
True, but should you have to enter and exit a car in a completely different manner than other cars? Should you have to look out, and have passengers be constantly reminded to : "lift your feet" whenever they ride in your car because of poor thinking by the designers? Seems to me you should be able to use normal entry/exit procedures without having to be worried about how fragile the car is.
Honestly, I think you are in a small minority of people who do this. Also, no rubber seal is going to stand up to someone constantly placing their shoe soles across it. I'm still trying to figure out exactly how you exit the car with your foot in that position. Can't say I have ever seen anyone do that on any vehicle. Might want to try simply not stepping on it.

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:23 AM   #19
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmm1412 View Post
Mine is being replaced at the dealer under warranty tomorrow. Only warranty claim I have made on the car so far. Mine is a garage queen also that is not driven at least 4 months a year. Looks to me like a poor material composition in manufacturing.

Good news kmm1412,

Be sure to update us on the progress of the service and if there is anything we could do to assist. We are sure you'll have it completed in no time.

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 06-21-2013, 12:47 PM   #20
Bonanza7
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveagogo1 View Post
Honestly, I think you are in a small minority of people who do this. Also, no rubber seal is going to stand up to someone constantly placing their shoe soles across it. I'm still trying to figure out exactly how you exit the car with your foot in that position. Can't say I have ever seen anyone do that on any vehicle. Might want to try simply not stepping on it.
That is the problem...the design leaves it hanging out for damage. Others don't. And there are a number of people having this problem. So "small minority"?
Old 06-21-2013, 12:50 PM   #21
Bonanza7
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDXIIIDave View Post
I just don't get it. I have never used the door sills as a step when getting out of any car. I could understand it if it was a lifted truck.
It's not that they are used as a step, it is that your shoes hit the rubber when getting in and out. And rear seat passengers hit it all the time when they get out.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:56 PM   #22
Yumacamaro

Drives: 2013 2ss
Rubber

Please no dis respect intended but why is it that you need to put your foot there?its a door sill not a step. I just came from corvettes I wore out my seat side bolster because I wasn't getting in properly. Maybe change the way you exit and enter your car? This shouldn't be a possible warranty issue because of improper use. Good luck. If you know that putting your foot on that part damages the rubber then don't step or drag your foot on it
Yumacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:02 PM   #23
union894
Let the smoke roll

Drives: 2010 SS camaro 6M 13 Cadillac SRX
exact as mine.
union894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:13 PM   #24
Bonanza7
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastergunner View Post
Please no dis respect intended but why is it that you need to put your foot there?its a door sill not a step. I just came from corvettes I wore out my seat side bolster because I wasn't getting in properly. Maybe change the way you exit and enter your car? This shouldn't be a possible warranty issue because of improper use. Good luck. If you know that putting your foot on that part damages the rubber then don't step or drag your foot on it
Why should one car have a special entry/exit technique?
Old 06-21-2013, 01:20 PM   #25
Bonanza7
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastergunner View Post
On the Corvette, the bolster wears out quite regulary according to my (new, and good) Chevy dealer. Apparently, a lot of Corvette owners haven't read the special entry/exit manual for Vettes. Should they have to? Also, the dealer says Camaro bolsters are wearing out on many owners...just like the Vettes.