Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
River City Camaro Customs
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing Discussions on mechanical maintenance and servicing of your Camaro

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2009, 12:31 PM   #1
GoldFire
Newborn Camaro Fanatic
 
GoldFire's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2LT/RS Camaro
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 435
Question Where should I go to get oil changed after 500 miles?

I keep reading that I should get my oil changed after 500 miles, so I would like to go do that today or tomorrow since I'm already up to 600 almost. I don't really trust anyone with my car, where should I go to get the oil changed? The dealership rips you off, so I assume I should go to some place like Jiffy Lube or Firestone? Also, do I just go and get a regular oil change, or do I ask them for something special since its part of the break-in?
__________________
2LT/RS [Victory Red] | GoldFire Studios
GoldFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:42 PM   #2
ssump29
LOL at most people here.
 
ssump29's Avatar
 
Drives: 2005 GTO,2006 M6, 2007 300 Touring
Join Date: May 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 1,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldFire View Post
I keep reading that I should get my oil changed after 500 miles, so I would like to go do that today or tomorrow since I'm already up to 600 almost. I don't really trust anyone with my car, where should I go to get the oil changed? The dealership rips you off, so I assume I should go to some place like Jiffy Lube or Firestone? Also, do I just go and get a regular oil change, or do I ask them for something special since its part of the break-in?
Why do you think you need to get an oil change after 500 miles? Stop listening to everything you hear around here because a lot people just talk thrash and don't know what they are talking about. Yoy don't need to change the oil and when you do go to the dealership as no other people will have any info on this car since its so new and not a lot around.
__________________
Number 5952. oh yeahhhhhhh
ssump29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:48 PM   #3
BrianGriffin78

 
BrianGriffin78's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 GMC Yukon
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldFire View Post
I keep reading that I should get my oil changed after 500 miles, so I would like to go do that today or tomorrow since I'm already up to 600 almost. I don't really trust anyone with my car, where should I go to get the oil changed? The dealership rips you off, so I assume I should go to some place like Jiffy Lube or Firestone? Also, do I just go and get a regular oil change, or do I ask them for something special since its part of the break-in?
Some people are obsessed . I took my car for an oil change after 1500 miles and that there was kinda soon. The guy at the GM dealer even said, I won't have to get another one for another 5,000 miles.

I'd go to a dealer because they are GM certified, but then I think anyone would be able to do it. Oil change is not exactly brain surgery.
__________________
BrianGriffin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:49 PM   #4
badkarma
 
badkarma's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SIM 2SS Camaro
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Dacula GA
Posts: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssump29 View Post
Why do you think you need to get an oil change after 500 miles? Stop listening to everything you hear around here because a lot people just talk thrash and don't know what they are talking about. Yoy don't need to change the oil and when you do go to the dealership as no other people will have any info on this car since its so new and not a lot around.


The engineers at GM know a helluva lot more than anyone about their engines and what processes they go through.

My suggestion would be to follow the directions in the manual.
badkarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:51 PM   #5
DarrenJ
 
DarrenJ's Avatar
 
Drives: '67 Camaro ZZ4 & 2010 IOM 2SS
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Real World USA
Posts: 542
It's Mobil 1 and you have an oil filter, why 500 miles?

Oh, and change it yourself so you'll know whats going back in.

...and stay away from Fram filters...
DarrenJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:52 PM   #6
ssump29
LOL at most people here.
 
ssump29's Avatar
 
Drives: 2005 GTO,2006 M6, 2007 300 Touring
Join Date: May 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 1,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGriffin78 View Post
Some people are obsessed . I took my car for an oil change after 1500 miles and that there was kinda soon. The guy at the GM dealer even said, I won't have to get another one for another 5,000 miles.

I'd go to a dealer because they are GM certified, but then I think anyone would be able to do it. Oil change is not exactly brain surgery.
I know it ain't brain surgey but when I got my GTO brand new no local or any chain would do an oil change on it because they hadn't seen one and didn't have any knowledge on the car, so I would think it would be the same with the Camaro.
__________________
Number 5952. oh yeahhhhhhh
ssump29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:52 PM   #7
Sunny
 
Sunny's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS/RS****SWEET
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 57
take it to GM, take a good look at it, and before you pay have another look check for scratches and dings best prevention you can do
Sunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:55 PM   #8
SamsinSS
 
SamsinSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston
Posts: 245
Send a message via MSN to SamsinSS
Take it back to the dealer. Stay away from Jiffy Lube........
SamsinSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:58 PM   #9
brandotron
I am the internets.
 
brandotron's Avatar
 
Drives: dangerously
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Posts: 12,720
Dealer or do it yourself. EZLube JUST cross threaded my girlfriend's drain plug
__________________
brandotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:59 PM   #10
ravensjeff
100% Chevy & Harley Man
 
Drives: 650 HP Forged Internals-549 HP rear
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Eldersburg,MD
Posts: 2,031
I haven't gotten thru the whole owner's manual yet, but I thought someone mentioned that it said do the first one at 1800 miles?

I do know that GM (Which includes the Engineers who designed the whole thing) said to change the oil ongoing when the car tells you to. Depending on how you drive, this could be over 10,000 miles. Do NOT go by what the dealer says- they do it based on earning money- GM reasoning is based on sound engineering that the car uses to tell you when it is needed.

I would strongly urge you to use the dealer for the service though. As said above, the car is too new to let some kid go at it.
__________________
Forged & Tuned by Lingenfelter!
ravensjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:02 PM   #11
BrianGriffin78

 
BrianGriffin78's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 GMC Yukon
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssump29 View Post
I know it ain't brain surgey but when I got my GTO brand new no local or any chain would do an oil change on it because they hadn't seen one and didn't have any knowledge on the car, so I would think it would be the same with the Camaro.
That's why I took it to a GM dealer and got raped with the price.
__________________
BrianGriffin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:04 PM   #12
larietrope
 
Drives: 214 AGM 1SS NPP
Join Date: May 2009
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 225
Buy the oil and filter at Advance, etc, then take it to dealer. Why pay some schmo at a Jiffy Lube to it if you won't ?
larietrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:04 PM   #13
soverydeb
 
Drives: 2010 2LT Camaro Blk/Blk
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Wichita
Posts: 367
my dealer said not till 5000 miles, then the Vehicle Info System gives you an update anyway...
soverydeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:05 PM   #14
ssump29
LOL at most people here.
 
ssump29's Avatar
 
Drives: 2005 GTO,2006 M6, 2007 300 Touring
Join Date: May 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 1,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGriffin78 View Post
That's why I took it to a GM dealer and got raped with the price.
It is what it is, but when you got nice cars like this I rather overpay and have it done right and feel safe then be cheap and worry about the performance of my car later down the line.

And once again why the hell is this guy trying to change his oil after 500 miles, he does know that the computer gives him an engine oil life right.
__________________
Number 5952. oh yeahhhhhhh
ssump29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:06 PM   #15
2010SSRS

 
2010SSRS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Silverado
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Southern WI
Posts: 1,246
some of us "old school" rodders still drop the 1st "break in" oil at 500 as that's what ya did on garage engine rebuilds and restorations.

also, if i remember my father correctly, classic muscle when purchased new recommended a 500 mile "break in" oil drop as well.

i made it to 1000 miles with the 5th gen and couldn't take it anymore (dreams of metal shavings). i took her to my local dealer and they did it right there with me watching. nobody drove it but the manager and he made any techs near it wear gloves.....

they also checked everything else out and made sure she was all good! i saw the oil drop and know sleep better at nite! $84.01 for 7.8qts of Mobil1, peice of mind and a good nites sleep...........priceless..

ps - know, i get in the throttle a little harder......still being nice though..
__________________
IOM 2SSRS LS3 R6P - VIN 7553 Delivered 5/22/2009 Kooks, Corsa and Roto-Fab - SOLD 9/2010

VR 2SSRS LS3 - Borla, SLP CAI
2010SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:08 PM   #16
ssump29
LOL at most people here.
 
ssump29's Avatar
 
Drives: 2005 GTO,2006 M6, 2007 300 Touring
Join Date: May 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 1,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SSRS View Post
some of us "old school" rodders still drop the 1st "break in" oil at 500 as that's what ya did on garage engine rebuilds and restorations.

also, if i remember my father correctly, classic muscle when purchased new recommended a 500 mile "break in" oil drop as well.

i made it to 1000 miles with the 5th gen and couldn't take it anymore (dreams of metal shavings). i took her to my local dealer and they did it right there with me watching. nobody drove it but the manager and he made any techs near it wear gloves.....

they also checked everything else out and made sure she was all good! i saw the oil drop and know sleep better at nite! $84.01 for 7.8qts of Mobil1, peice of mind and a good nites sleep...........priceless..

ps - know, i get in the throttle a little harder......still being nice though..
I understand what you are saying bout sorry this aint the 50's 60's or 70's anymore man. Tech is so advanced now and materials are so much better now all those parnoid precaution are void now. Man cars are a different breed now so stop thinking rules 60 years ago apply to today's cars.
__________________
Number 5952. oh yeahhhhhhh
ssump29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:15 PM   #17
BrianGriffin78

 
BrianGriffin78's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 GMC Yukon
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssump29 View Post
It is what it is, but when you got nice cars like this I rather overpay and have it done right and feel safe then be cheap and worry about the performance of my car later down the line.

And once again why the hell is this guy trying to change his oil after 500 miles, he does know that the computer gives him an engine oil life right.
Going to a GM dealer I don't think it is crazy. It's obvious we are going to pay more. But changing after only 500 miles? I was a little skeptical to change it at 1500 and was going to wait till over 2000 miles but I am taking the car down on vacation this weekend so wanted to take care of it now.
__________________
BrianGriffin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:21 PM   #18
GoldFire
Newborn Camaro Fanatic
 
GoldFire's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2LT/RS Camaro
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 435
Okay well I guess I will wait then. Pretty much all the threads I had read had said to get it changed at 500 and 1500, so I assumed that was the norm.
__________________
2LT/RS [Victory Red] | GoldFire Studios
GoldFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:21 PM   #19
Mr_Draco


 
Mr_Draco's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS/RS
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Western North Carolina
Posts: 6,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssump29 View Post
Why do you think you need to get an oil change after 500 miles? Stop listening to everything you hear around here because a lot people just talk thrash and don't know what they are talking about. Yoy don't need to change the oil and when you do go to the dealership as no other people will have any info on this car since its so new and not a lot around.
You do the first oil change at 500 to get rid of the majority metallic flakes out of the engine from the machining process and again around 1,500-2,000 mile mark to get the rest. Every mechanic I've talked to and the GM tech's at my 2 local dealerships say to do this. One the dealerships will do these two for just the cost of labor which is $10 because they tell everyone to do this.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:26 PM   #20
GoldFire
Newborn Camaro Fanatic
 
GoldFire's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2LT/RS Camaro
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
You do the first oil change at 500 to get rid of the majority metallic flakes out of the engine from the machining process and again around 1,500-2,000 mile mark to get the rest. Every mechanic I've talked to and the GM tech's at my 2 local dealerships say to do this. One the dealerships will do these two for just the cost of labor which is $10 because they tell everyone to do this.
Lol see this is why I was asking. This is so confusing, constantly conflicting reports. Hmm, what to do...what to do...
__________________
2LT/RS [Victory Red] | GoldFire Studios
GoldFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:28 PM   #21
patriotpa
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 02 Silverado, 09 Vue, 10 1SS
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Tired of apologizing when we should be kickin' butt!
Posts: 1,967
The car will tell you when it wants new oil. Listen to it.
patriotpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:30 PM   #22
ssump29
LOL at most people here.
 
ssump29's Avatar
 
Drives: 2005 GTO,2006 M6, 2007 300 Touring
Join Date: May 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 1,333
those flakes and everything else burn out, thats why for the first 500 miles you smell that burning smell. It gets burned out of the oil early on. Just because someone at the dealership said do it doesn't make it true. Because my dealership didn't recommend this so what are you saying that your dealer is smarter then everyone else.

I got a 2005 GTO brand new off the lot in 05 and didn't change the oil until it needed to be and never had a problem so why would this LS engine be any different? It's people being parnoid is the problem.
__________________
Number 5952. oh yeahhhhhhh
ssump29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:40 PM   #23
3BVert
 
3BVert's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 380
Irregardless of the 500, 1500 mile debate... To answer the original question, why not do the oil change yourself? I'm certainly no mechanic, but I've done every oil change on our C5. I just can't bear the thought of it going "behind closed doors" for service unless it's absolutely necessary. If you're not a DYI type of person... personally, I'd bite the bullet and take it to the dealer.
__________________
2SS/RS Red Jewel Tintcoat
6-Speed Automatic
3BVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:49 PM   #24
GoldFire
Newborn Camaro Fanatic
 
GoldFire's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2LT/RS Camaro
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3BVert View Post
Irregardless of the 500, 1500 mile debate... To answer the original question, why not do the oil change yourself? I'm certainly no mechanic, but I've done every oil change on our C5. I just can't bear the thought of it going "behind closed doors" for service unless it's absolutely necessary. If you're not a DYI type of person... personally, I'd bite the bullet and take it to the dealer.
Well basically because I've never done it before and I would rather not practice on my brand new Camaro.
__________________
2LT/RS [Victory Red] | GoldFire Studios
GoldFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:33 PM   #25
JohnnyBfromPeoria

 
JohnnyBfromPeoria's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 2,037
ssump29, just how do you get metal shavings "burning off" from engine oil that's quite a bit cooler than the melting/burning point of the metal itself?

It will hurt NOTHING to change your oil early. Use the recommended Mobil 1 and a GM filter (or Purolator Pure 1 or NAPA Gold).

Who's going to challenge that "new tech" engines do not shed metal particles at first? The engine stlll gets hot, right? Part of the reason why is friction. And newly machined parts (and I don't care how close toleranced the parts are) don"t fit together as well as ones that have been working against each other for some time. There will be metal in the oil at first. There will be metal in your transmission, too, both manual and automatic.

The engine monitor is fine to rely on after break-in. It does not make any allowance for the "break-in" period.

If money isn't a concern, I'd be loading my engine up pretty good right away and letting there be a healthy dose of engine braking, and changing my oil at 100 miles. I'd also install a magnetic drain plug at that time. Next change at 1000 miles, then revert to letting the oil monitor tell me when to do it again.

The oil filter is a cartridge on the V-6 (don't know about the V-8's). I'd be very interested to have a look at one after only 100 initial miles, as any significant debris would be easy to spot. Flame me if you want, but I'd also wager you'd be impressed with my service records and regimen if you were looking to buy my car with 100,000 miles on it.

John B.
__________________
12 LS M6, IPF S/C, ASA GT-5 wheels, VMax PTB
1995 Mitsubishi Montero SR
1987 Dodge Raider Turbo Project
1986 Mitsubishi Montero 2.4l FI Transplant
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just changed my oil at 500 miles... Croathlete Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing 29 08-26-2009 05:56 PM
The 3,000 Mile Oil Change Myth KILLER74Z28 General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 35 07-20-2008 09:02 PM
gas prices. Congoman775 General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 65 05-28-2008 12:20 PM
Major U.S. oil source is tapped KILLER74Z28 Off-topic Discussions 32 10-30-2007 09:47 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.