Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
BORLA
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2013, 08:47 PM   #29
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28
 
Dropspeed's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Suburbs of Detroit, MI
Posts: 2,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
I know the production numbers are not in, but possibly the volume of 1LE's produced does not warrant the engineering cost to develop the product?
The 1LE will be the same from 2013-2015 so they may not be high numbers, but I am willing to bet the numbers of 1LE ordered increase in 2014 and again in 2015 as the package is so cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgreenberg View Post
Do you guys think your lowering springs won't fit? Lol

I have a 1le and got a set of lowering springs. LG G5 Super Springs. they are advertised for 2010+ Camaro. They fit with no issues.

Just make sure after you install to retime the bushings and then align the car. Makes a huge difference over just slapping on the springs and not doing anything else.
Read the post, it has nothing to do with fitment it has to do with the fact that you installed a set-of springs that were designed for the 2010-2013 Camaro SS non-1LE which has inherent under steer issues. LG doesn't offer spring rates with the exception of saying "over 20% greater". You also installed a set of progress rate springs and replaced the stock linear rate springs. This is fine for a street driven car, but if you intend to track it you may have just degraded the handling of your 1LE. (Not to mention the fact that you lowered the car over 1.5" on stock struts which is a no/no) ...LOL at you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toehead93 View Post
Post this in the suspension forum and I bet those vendors will see this and speak up.
I sent a direct PM to one of the manufacturers and have not received a response....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C CamaroSS View Post
So we are out of luck with regards to lowering springs for our 1LE's? And I have a set of Pedders 1" lowering springs just sitting in the downstairs bedroom
I'm not giving up hope yet....Pedders claims the spring rates are proprietary so I did not include them in this discussion as I have no idea what they are and without that info cannot make any sort of comparison
__________________
Dropspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:07 PM   #30
1leNPP
 
Drives: 1LE , 1SS , NPP
Join Date: May 2013
Location: calif.
Posts: 262
Well this is the first year for the car (1LE) and there 2 more years to go .When the cars starts showing up at the tracks and people can see what the car can do I think you start seeing more parts for the cars showing up in the after market with a wider range of choice . My old mustang I had spring that lower the car 1/2" , 1" , 1 1/4 " and then there a bunch of shocks & struts to pick from . Right now for 1LE its coilovers or put a 1LE shock and struts with your lowering springs . I am hearing Koni going to make the STR.T line for the Camaro but for us 1LE guys that will be about the same as the 1LE stock shocks & struts need Koni yellows .
1leNPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:30 PM   #31
1leNPP
 
Drives: 1LE , 1SS , NPP
Join Date: May 2013
Location: calif.
Posts: 262
Dropspeed

I do think there a market for a 1/2 lower spring for the back of the car that keeps the same linear spring rate as the stock spring dose ( all you got to do is Look at the 55D springs for the Brembo GT mustang) . If there was one out there I would have gotten it. ZL1 rear spring is the only thing out there right now that drop the back a 1/2 inch to even out the ride high and I like trying diff. stuff .

For you , you may want a stiffer spring rate a 1/2 drop and some koni yellows .
1leNPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:08 PM   #32
dgreenberg
 
dgreenberg's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Z/28 #352 2013 ZL1 Vert
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: CA, ID
Posts: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropspeed View Post
The 1LE will be the same from 2013-2015 so they may not be high numbers, but I am willing to bet the numbers of 1LE ordered increase in 2014 and again in 2015 as the package is so cheap.



Read the post, it has nothing to do with fitment it has to do with the fact that you installed a set-of springs that were designed for the 2010-2013 Camaro SS non-1LE which has inherent under steer issues. LG doesn't offer spring rates with the exception of saying "over 20% greater". You also installed a set of progress rate springs and replaced the stock linear rate springs. This is fine for a street driven car, but if you intend to track it you may have just degraded the handling of your 1LE. (Not to mention the fact that you lowered the car over 1.5" on stock struts which is a no/no) ...LOL at you!



I sent a direct PM to one of the manufacturers and have not received a response....



I'm not giving up hope yet....Pedders claims the spring rates are proprietary so I did not include them in this discussion as I have no idea what they are and without that info cannot make any sort of comparison
To each their own. I didn't decrease handling at all. Overall spring rate is still stiffer. I upgraded the F/R Swaybars and endlinks as well. So now I have even looking ride height, overall better ride quality, and lots of adjustment within my sway bars and endlinks!

If a 2 second decrease in lap time at the big track of Willow Springs is a decrease in handling according to your speculation...

I bought the car to daily drive during the week and track on the weekends. I have the best of both worlds now. Better street ride quality and better handling at the track.
dgreenberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:28 AM   #33
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28
 
Dropspeed's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Suburbs of Detroit, MI
Posts: 2,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1leNPP View Post
Dropspeed

I do think there a market for a 1/2 lower spring for the back of the car that keeps the same linear spring rate as the stock spring dose ( all you got to do is Look at the 55D springs for the Brembo GT mustang) . If there was one out there I would have gotten it. ZL1 rear spring is the only thing out there right now that drop the back a 1/2 inch to even out the ride high and I like trying diff. stuff .

For you , you may want a stiffer spring rate a 1/2 drop and some koni yellows .

I keep running the ZL1 rear spring through my head over and over and for the minimal investment (and against my better judgement) I may try it just to see what happens.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgreenberg View Post
To each their own. I didn't decrease handling at all. Overall spring rate is still stiffer. I upgraded the F/R Swaybars and endlinks as well. So now I have even looking ride height, overall better ride quality, and lots of adjustment within my sway bars and endlinks!

If a 2 second decrease in lap time at the big track of Willow Springs is a decrease in handling according to your speculation...

I bought the car to daily drive during the week and track on the weekends. I have the best of both worlds now. Better street ride quality and better handling at the track.
It sounds like you changed springs and swaybars at the same time so you don't truly know how the car would have reacted with just the LG springs. It very well could have been 3 seconds faster with just the swaybars and is actually 1 second slower with the springs...(I am aware that is not a direct ratio...but you get the point)

The big track @ WS is 2.5 miles. 2 second decrease on a 2.5 mile track in a street car can be any attributed to any number of variables including track temps, air temps, alignment setting, fresh rubber, seat time ect. It does not necessarily mean your springs are correct or helped. The sway bars may be doing more work now and that is where you gained your performance.

For your situation your set-up sounds like it works for you. This doesn't change that fact that your springs were designed for a platform that under steers and most consumers are more concerned with stance or looks than performance....I am not willing to settle just yet.

-Matt
__________________
Dropspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:33 AM   #34
dgreenberg
 
dgreenberg's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Z/28 #352 2013 ZL1 Vert
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: CA, ID
Posts: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropspeed View Post
I keep running the ZL1 rear spring through my head over and over and for the minimal investment (and against my better judgement) I may try it just to see what happens.....



It sounds like you changed springs and swaybars at the same time so you don't truly know how the car would have reacted with just the LG springs. It very well could have been 3 seconds faster with just the swaybars and is actually 1 second slower with the springs...(I am aware that is not a direct ratio...but you get the point)

The big track @ WS is 2.5 miles. 2 second decrease on a 2.5 mile track in a street car can be any attributed to any number of variables including track temps, air temps, alignment setting, fresh rubber, seat time ect. It does not necessarily mean your springs are correct or helped. The sway bars may be doing more work now and that is where you gained your performance.

For your situation your set-up sounds like it works for you. This doesn't change that fact that your springs were designed for a platform that under steers and most consumers are more concerned with stance or looks than performance....I am not willing to settle just yet.

-Matt
Sway bars came first, then the springs a few weeks later. I didn't notice anything too different other than initially softer on compression.

As far as seat time I am pretty experienced, I hold an SCCA Pro License, so plenty of seat time... I know that's not the issue. This isn't a race car by any means, but indeed a very capable street car that does well and feels comfortable on the track. If I were to track the car more of course I would put a proper coil over, at least 2 way adjustable. But I have dedicated track cars so there is no point.

If I were you I would just get a street coil over so you can have whatever spring rate you would like and whatever amount of drop as well.
dgreenberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:38 AM   #35
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28
 
Dropspeed's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Suburbs of Detroit, MI
Posts: 2,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgreenberg View Post
Sway bars came first, then the springs a few weeks later. I didn't notice anything too different other than initially softer on compression.

As far as seat time I am pretty experienced, I hold an SCCA Pro License, so plenty of seat time... I know that's not the issue. This isn't a race car by any means, but indeed a very capable street car that does well and feels comfortable on the track. If I were to track the car more of course I would put a proper coil over, at least 2 way adjustable. But I have dedicated track cars so there is no point.

If I were you I would just get a street coil over so you can have whatever spring rate you would like and whatever amount of drop as well.

Did you see an improvement in lap times after the swaybars were installed before the springs? This is a different topic, but the 1LE is stiffer than the Zl1 and has less body roll from the get go.
__________________
Dropspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:50 AM   #36
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter
 
Norm Peterson's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 10 Legacy 2.5GT, ...
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Eastern Time Zone
Posts: 4,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgreenberg View Post
To each their own. I didn't decrease handling at all. Overall spring rate is still stiffer. I upgraded the F/R Swaybars and endlinks as well. So now I have even looking ride height, overall better ride quality, and lots of adjustment within my sway bars and endlinks!

If a 2 second decrease in lap time at the big track of Willow Springs is a decrease in handling according to your speculation...

I bought the car to daily drive during the week and track on the weekends. I have the best of both worlds now. Better street ride quality and better handling at the track.
I'd have to wonder how a set of linear rate springs of equal ride heights would have compared . . . as well as whether the "progressive" springs are truly progressive or really just "dual rate" with little suspension travel involved as their operation switches between the soft and firm rates (and where that happens).


Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:54 AM   #37
dgreenberg
 
dgreenberg's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Z/28 #352 2013 ZL1 Vert
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: CA, ID
Posts: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropspeed View Post
Did you see an improvement in lap times after the swaybars were installed before the springs? This is a different topic, but the 1LE is stiffer than the Zl1 and has less body roll from the get go.
My father has a ZL1 and it does ride a little bit different. I think partly due to the fact it is heavier. And yea my 1le has even less roll than oem. Definitely didn't think that was possible. Have more confidence when turning in for sure, some of the slop in steering feel is cleaned up. I also put the 305 G:2's on the back and that made a difference as well.

So I'd have to agree with you on what you initially said. The combination works well together, and I may or may not have left something on the table as far as springs go.

Donald
dgreenberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:57 AM   #38
dgreenberg
 
dgreenberg's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Z/28 #352 2013 ZL1 Vert
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: CA, ID
Posts: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
I'd have to wonder how a set of linear rate springs of equal ride heights would have compared . . . as well as whether the "progressive" springs are truly progressive or really just "dual rate" with little suspension travel involved as their operation switches between the soft and firm rates (and where that happens).


Norm
There could be some increased stiffness left on the table, and overall confidence due to the car being more predictable from corner to corner, but hey... It's still a blast to drive! You can really throw this car into a corner and just hang on. Gets the job done!
dgreenberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:11 AM   #39
Craig B
 
Craig B's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 1LE
Join Date: May 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 610
So is there a rear spring available for the 1LE that will lower it an inch and not affect the ride quality?
Craig B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 03:06 PM   #40
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28
 
Dropspeed's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Suburbs of Detroit, MI
Posts: 2,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Criag B View Post
So is there a rear spring available for the 1LE that will lower it an inch and not affect the ride quality?
Not that I have found yet.
__________________
Dropspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:53 AM   #41
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter
 
Norm Peterson's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 10 Legacy 2.5GT, ...
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Eastern Time Zone
Posts: 4,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Criag B View Post
So is there a rear spring available for the 1LE that will lower it an inch and not affect the ride quality?
Unless you can restrict either how hard you drive or the roads that you choose to drive on, it may not be possible to lower without any effect on ride quality. Normally, you end up either with springs that are a bit stiffer (to help keep you off the bump stops), you put up with crashing into them more often, or you trim the bumpstops to make it less likely that you'll bottom (making you bottom harder when you do hit them). Basically, the ride either gets a little firmer all the time or it bottoms out more or harder. Kind of a "name your poison" situation.

Your best shot would be springs that are truly progressive rate (not just dual-rate springs sold as being progressive), combined perhaps with bumpstop modification that's more carefully considered than simply chopping them down. Whether such springs currently exist or if you'd need them custom-wound is a separate question.


Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:34 AM   #42
Synner


 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Join Date: May 2011
Location: US
Posts: 4,049
I consider it unlikely vendors will come out with a 1LE specific spring since most track focused builds will go to coilovers anyways. I'd look at stiffer minimal drop single rate springs as a compromise, I don't like variable rate for any kind of track duty.

BC ER's are probably the best deal going for a track car although its a significant difference between $300 springs and 1800 coilovers. Mine have performed amazing and allow for fine tuning of under/over steer and track conditions. To get a truly track optimized spring setup you'd need to be done modifying everything on your car, stick to one kind of track, and probably get custom rates while never changing tire size/type. Meh. I'll never be done modding. Its an incurable disease.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.