Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Gen5DIY
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 06-19-2013, 03:33 PM   #1
ICEMAN169

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS1
L99 lack power after P 1516 code

I own a 2012 camaro SS1RS with an L99 engine. Went to the drag strip to see what it would do stock ( 1/4 mile in 13.905 @101.40). Before I made my 1st pass some butthead at the track told me to run with no air filter so like an uninformed dumbass I took out the air filterNeedless to say it threw code P1516 reduced engine power and ran like crap. Got the code removed and it runs fine and has not thrown another code but seems to lack power. I use to be able to put it in competive mode and smoke the tires all the way through 1st and into 2nd. Now even if its in competive mode it will smoke em for about five seconds then just take off.

Bought it to the dealer and they said nothing is wrong because the code won't come back on. Tried pulling ECU and TCU fuses with no results. Recently switched to premium gas instead of regular. Read thread about pulling fuse 15 to reset high octane fuel program, so I'm gonna try that.

If anyone has had this problem or just knows what to do please help. I'm so fustrated with the lack of power I'm considering trading it in on a Scion FRS.
ICEMAN169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:49 PM   #2
62nalide

Drives: 2013 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICEMAN169 View Post
I own a 2012 camaro SS1RS with an L99 engine. Went to the drag strip to see what it would do stock ( 1/4 mile in 13.905 @101.40). Before I made my 1st pass some butthead at the track told me to run with no air filter so like an uninformed dumbass I took out the air filterNeedless to say it threw code P1516 reduced engine power and ran like crap. Got the code removed and it runs fine and has not thrown another code but seems to lack power. I use to be able to put it in competive mode and smoke the tires all the way through 1st and into 2nd. Now even if its in competive mode it will smoke em for about five seconds then just take off.

Bought it to the dealer and they said nothing is wrong because the code won't come back on. Tried pulling ECU and TCU fuses with no results. Recently switched to premium gas instead of regular. Read thread about pulling fuse 15 to reset high octane fuel program, so I'm gonna try that.

If anyone has had this problem or just knows what to do please help. I'm so fustrated with the lack of power I'm considering trading it in on a Scion FRS.
How long ago was this? Texas heat plays a big role in hurting performance.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:56 PM   #3
ICEMAN169

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62nalide View Post
How long ago was this? Texas heat plays a big role in hurting performance.
Abut 2 weeks ago, but I was always able to smoke em alot before.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:16 PM   #4
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:

ICEMAN169,

Sorry to hear of this concern. I know that must be displeasing for you. Please keep us updated on this situation or let us know if you have any additional questions.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:21 PM   #5
Kelly@PCMofNC

Drives: 2010 RS/SS
Quote:

You should run premium in it all the time. It's going to feel like a huge turd if it's knocked itself into the low octane table, which it most likely has if you run regular normally. I doubt anything was actually hurt running without the filter. Be careful comparing spring/summer performance to fall/winter also. The hotter the air the more sluggish it's going to feel...so if you're comparing your performance right now in June versus December or so - yeah it's going to feel different.

I'd also get thee to a dyno, if you don't want it tuned at least just three pulls to see if it is making the power it should. A lot of times what people feel or don't feel is often in their head, but a dyno or a track testing will tell you if you're on par with the others.

See what's in our shop on Facebook! Customer Build Blogs!
www.pcmofnc.com
Performance Parts & Installs - Dyno Tuning - Mail Order Tuning
704-307-4227
Kelly@PCMofNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:23 PM   #6
40years

Drives: 2010 CAMARO 1SS/RS IBM
First off, you should have been runing premium from the begining. Second, you need to pull the #5 & # 20 fuses to reset the fuel tables. Keep them out overnight if possible.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:28 PM   #7
SSGUNNER
Chu no guat a hasa is?

Drives: 14 Jeep G Cherokee Overland HEMI
Ive never heard of running with out a filter. Interesting...
11 2SS/RSL99No Longer Stock (Sold) 6/19/14:AAC Plasma DRL's | Plug n play harness | Elite CC | Tint: 35% & 5% | LED Dome light | Show-N-Go Plate Holder | Flowmaster AT | C.A.I. Intake | VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB | Husky Splash Guards
SSGUNNER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:29 PM   #8
ICEMAN169

I'm gonna try the 5 and 20 fuse pull tonight. I started running premium after my second tank of gas, but did not know about resetting the fuel tables.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:06 PM   #9
Fish-man
SS HWSE

Drives: too many to say!
My 2010 avalanche had that code along with a couple other codes. Took it to dealer.. turned out to be bad thrttle position sensors. Replaced in warranty
Fish-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:01 PM   #10
NipTuckTaxi

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Had the same thing as a result of throttle position sensor. Be a good place to look.
NipTuckTaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:26 PM   #11
ICEMAN169

Tried pulling fuse #5 and #20 overnight. Ran the car next afternoon and it ran like new. more than likely it was being on the low octane table while running super that affected the performance not the code. Thanks to all who contributed to this thread, now I don't have to trade in my car!