Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Emblempros
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls Report, discuss and diagnose any issues and problems with your Camaro, including warranty discussions.

Old 03-24-2014, 11:19 AM   #1
BigBoyBlue
Go NY Giants & NY Rangers

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Documented Fix Yet For HUD Problem?

Documented Fix Yet? - I posted this in the problems section, but haven't gotten any responses.

My 2013 ZL1's HUD just did this on the way back from the gas station. The HUD came on and off a few times, always slowly fading away.

I'm very aggravated. I don't really want the dealer messing with the car, especially after reading the stories that some of you have posted about what has happened to your ZL1s while at the dealer. I am appalled that dealers would be so cavalier with a $60k car. BMW and Ford both treated my cars very well. Both of my M3s were treated like $200k cars by the dealer.

Anyway, is there a documented fix for this? Does the software update work? I would rather the software update than having to have the whole unit replaced.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:22 PM   #2
LuckyZL-1
Ragtop Rocket!!!

Drives: Black on Black Convertible
Mine did it one time on the way to work like 3 months ago. Slowly just faded out. 8hrs later on the way home worked fine and has worked fine since then. I also dreaded taking it to dealer but its working now.
ADM custom cam, LPE stage 2 heads with dual valve springs, LS-3 ported throttle body, LPE 2 piece pulley, LPE overdrive balancer, 10% overdrive pulley, ported supercharger inlet, ADM race intake system, stainless works 1-7/8 headers, Injector Dynamics injectors, ADM heat exchanger, ADM dual fuel pump system, ADM exhaust switch, ADM 3 tunes tuning package.
744rwhp 727rwtq
LuckyZL-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:45 PM   #3
I call it Vera

Drives: ZL1 Convertible
if you all feel so distrusting of all dealers, I suggest the following to help:
1. Get one of the rental car agreements with all the body panels diagrams, a place for mileage, etc . . .
2. Go over your car at drop off.
3. Set expectations for mileage accumulation. (zero, 5 miles, etc . . .)

Thoughts?
I call it Vera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:50 PM   #4
Front Runner
Edge of Insanity

Drives: 14 Camaro Z/28, 15 Jeep Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoyBlue View Post
Documented Fix Yet? - I posted this in the problems section, but haven't gotten any responses.

My 2013 ZL1's HUD just did this on the way back from the gas station. The HUD came on and off a few times, always slowly fading away.

I'm very aggravated. I don't really want the dealer messing with the car, especially after reading the stories that some of you have posted about what has happened to your ZL1s while at the dealer. I am appalled that dealers would be so cavalier with a $60k car. BMW and Ford both treated my cars very well. Both of my M3s were treated like $200k cars by the dealer.

Anyway, is there a documented fix for this? Does the software update work? I would rather the software update than having to have the whole unit replaced.
BBB, have you had anymore problems with your HUD?

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
― Bernard M. Baruch
Front Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:17 PM   #5
z28-conv

Drives: '97 z-28 conv. 2013 BRM ZL1 conv.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoyBlue View Post

I also have a 2013 ZL1 (vert). I am having problems exactly as you describe. Fades out and seems to come back on when I use the turn signal?? I did mention it to the dealer. When I had my first oil change I told them. The car was hibernating over the winter so I forgot about it. A week after I started driving the car again it started disappearing and appearing.
z28-conv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:24 PM   #6
BigBoyBlue
Go NY Giants & NY Rangers

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Front Runner View Post
BBB, have you had anymore problems with your HUD?
No problems since, knock wood.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:28 PM   #7
Camaro_Corvette
36.833283,-76.021958

Drives: Team 1LE
It's not the first time we've heard about it. As far as I know there is no fix for it. (Other than I've heard of a couple guys having the entires HUD replaced) I have the same issue. Happened 6 months ago, fixed itself after a couple hours. Then it happened again last week. Low and behold it fixed itself again. There is no duplicating the error as far as I can tell either.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:20 AM   #8
Front Runner
Edge of Insanity

Drives: 14 Camaro Z/28, 15 Jeep Wrangler
Okay. I didnt know it was a common problem. I had it happen once this past weekend. I stopped, gassed up, and after restarting the car, the problem didnt return.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
― Bernard M. Baruch
Front Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 04:14 PM   #9
serows1

Drives: Blue Ray 2SS
This is the only bulletin I could find.....

#PIC3379D: HUD - Head Up Display Information - Multiple Conditions or Questions - (Nov 27, 2012)
Subject: HUD - Head Up Display Information - Multiple Conditions or Questions Models: 2010 - 2013 Buick LaCrosse 1999 - 2005 Buick Park Avenue 2013 Cadillac ATS 2005 - 2011 Cadillac STS 2004 - 2009 Cadillac XLR 2013 Cadillac XTS 2011 - 2013 Chevrolet Camaro 1999 - 2013 Chevrolet Corvette 2007 - 2013 GMC Acadia 1999 - 2008 Pontiac Grand Prix 1999 - 2005 Pontiac Bonneville This PI was superseded to update model list and model years. Please discard PIC3379C.
Condition/Concern
  1. The HUD image may not appear clear. If inspected closely, there appears to be two similar images, often described as a ghost image. This concern may be noticeable especially during low ambient light conditions - early morning or in the evening - or when a dark object is present in front of the vehicle in the viewing area of the HUD.
  2. All segments of the HUD illuminate intermittently.
  3. Poor/hazy HUD image.
Recommendation/Instructions
  1. The HUD image is projected on the surface of the windshield glass. Since a windshield is composed of two thicknesses of glass, there are two reflections. In order to align these two images, a wedged shape plastic laminate is used between the two layers of glass. If the dimensions of the plastic laminate are not correct, the images will not fully align and the HUD image will not appear clear. In order to diagnose this condition, you can apply Vaseline to the outside of the windshield in the area of the HUD display. If there is no longer a ghost image, the problem can be attributed to the windshield. The extent of the ghosting can be helpful in determining if the vehicle has the proper windshield. If the ghosting offset is greater than 25% of the width of a line/bar of a HUD character, the vehicle likely does not have a HUD windshield. If the offset is less, or the vehicle definitely has a HUD windshield, another windshield can be installed that may have less distortion/variance. Use of a non-OEM HUD windshield may result in this condition. HUD windshields should be identified in the lower right corner of the windshield.
  2. Under certain ambient lighting conditions, it could appear that all of the various segments within the HUD are on, and/or the inside of the HUD box will be visible in the windshield. Typically, further questioning of the customer will reveal a correlation between the time of day and what direction the vehicle is traveling in relation to the sun. This is a normal condition if the sun is shining at a certain angle directly into the HUD display.
  3. New IP pads may emit fumes that cause a film to form on the HUD lens. Regular household cleaners will not remove this type of film. Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol should be used to clean the lens. Use a soft cloth and GENTLY clean the HUD lens.
Customer Information For situations whereby the sun is shining directly into the HUD display, please communicate to the customer this condition is a normal operating characteristic of their vehicle. It will not impact the designed performance or reliability of the vehicle. Please share this information with the customer, including a copy of this message.
Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

Hopefully this helps,
Paul
serows1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 11:46 PM   #10
Texas_RS

Drives: 2013 1LE/SS
Mine just started doing this today. Slowly fade away until Gone, then come back on when it wants too, then faded later. Anyone find out why, this happens and how long did it take to repair? My car is 2013 with around ~15k miles so hopefully still covered under warranty.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:48 PM   #11
frogfish

Drives: 2013 2 SS/RS
The 2013 HUD problem IS a known problem however you will not get a dealer or district rep to admit it. The repair takes about 8-10 hours. I would not allow a tech to do the repair if they have not performed that repair many times prior. Have GM send a tech from Detroit to do it. Everything must be removed from the cabin prior to dropping the dash. I would take pictures and get them notarized. I would then show your car to the dealer prior to the work being done. The A posts can be scratched, the seats, the center console, door panels, the underside of the gauges, etc. etc. It is a big job!

Good Luck
frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 06:31 AM   #12
CHV_FRK

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Does the ZL1 just accelerate from the light?

CHV_FRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 08:28 AM   #13
Pork Chop

Drives: M6 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
I have the HUD fading and returning issue. It seems to happen to me when I turn off the auto headlights. It never completely fades away, but gets brighter and dimmer. Once I turn on the auto headlights again it becomes stable. What pisses me off more in the inconsistent radio info display on the HUD.
Pork Chop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 09:33 AM   #14
Guelphguy

Drives: 2013 - 2SS Vert
My 2013 2SS just did this fading in and out for the first time a few days ago. Interestingly....It has been super cold here for weeks now, but it warmed up almost 20 degrees for one day this past weekend and that's when it started fading in and out, sometimes being completely out for at least a few mins.
It is really annoying.....I absolutely dread the dealer doing this kind of work. I'd really like for them to try and flash latest firmware or simple things...or hoping like others that this may just be a random occurrence? Maybe related to weather conditions?
Guelphguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:46 PM   #15
beaquel

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible
I too have a 2013 2SS Convertible and I bought it new (leftover stock) the day after Thanksgiving 2014. I noticed that the HUD did this a few times and reported it when I brought it in to deal with some post-delivery deficiencies they needed to fix. Over the winter, it didn't seem to happen again. Just this weekend, I replaced my aftermarket winter rims with my stock rims and noticed that on my way to the gym tonight the HUD did the fade in / fade out deal again. I'm not sure if it's weather related, or related to my tires, but it's an interesting coincidence.
beaquel is offline   Reply With Quote