Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Hines Performance (HPE)
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls Report, discuss and diagnose any issues and problems with your Camaro, including warranty discussions.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:51 AM   #1
skirush

Drives: 2013 1LS
Interior fan making weird noise at low fan speed

I'm guessing the "wonderful" mods are going to give me another warning for posting this here, but I have no idea where else to pose the question.

My interior fan is making a weird noise at low speeds (say speeds 2 and 3). If it's turned up higher than that, the blower on the fan is blowing out the air fast enough that I don't hear the sound or it goes away. However, at low speeds the sound it makes is kind of similar to a cricket chirping. It's hard to explain the sound, but that's the closest thing I can think of. As you can imagine, it's kind of annoying.

Does anyone think they know what might be causing this sound? Has anyone else experienced this? My car is still under warranty (for 5000 more miles) so I can bring it in. But, I was just wondering your thoughts before I bring it in, so I can have a better idea. Plus, I'm guessing they are going to tell me "I have no idea".

Thanks,
skirush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:56 AM   #2
MLAZ1990

Drives: 2012 black camaro 2LS
Same thing is happening to me. Whenever I use climate control, I hear a ticking noise coming from what sounds like the glove compartment...the lower the speed, the slower the noise...I have read up on it and 9 times outta 10 the issue was something got in the vent and needs to be "flushed out"
Old 04-15-2014, 07:57 AM   #3
stevey_frac

Drives: 2010 LT2/RS Coupe
I've had this on two of my GM cars. My Camaro, and a Cobalt I owned before it. It can be fixed by cleaning out the crap from around the squirrel cage, OR replacing the blower depending on why it's doing it.

When they replace the blower in my Cobalt, it came back after about a year. I'm really annoyed with it, to be honest. I don't feel like I should be throwing blow motors at a relatively new car every year.
275 / 40 / 20 Continental ExtremeContact DW's on all corners

Next up:
Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe (Purchased but not installed)
EBC Redstuff street pads
Carbotech XP8 / XP12 track pads
1LE Track Pack

Note: This car built by JDP Motorsports!
stevey_frac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:59 AM   #4
skirush

Drives: 2013 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevey_frac View Post
I've had this on two of my GM cars. My Camaro, and a Cobalt I owned before it. It can be fixed by cleaning out the crap from around the squirrel cage, OR replacing the blower depending on why it's doing it.

When they replace the blower in my Cobalt, it came back after about a year. I'm really annoyed with it, to be honest. I don't feel like I should be throwing blow motors at a relatively new car every year.
By squirrel cage, do you mean the vent located on the top of the engine compartment near the back of the engine? What if that's already clean?
skirush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:01 AM   #5
Xp0gam3r

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by skirush View Post
I'm guessing the "wonderful" mods are going to give me another warning for posting this here, but I have no idea where else to pose the question.

My interior fan is making a weird noise at low speeds (say speeds 2 and 3). If it's turned up higher than that, the blower on the fan is blowing out the air fast enough that I don't hear the sound or it goes away. However, at low speeds the sound it makes is kind of similar to a cricket chirping. It's hard to explain the sound, but that's the closest thing I can think of. As you can imagine, it's kind of annoying.

Does anyone think they know what might be causing this sound? Has anyone else experienced this? My car is still under warranty (for 5000 more miles) so I can bring it in. But, I was just wondering your thoughts before I bring it in, so I can have a better idea. Plus, I'm guessing they are going to tell me "I have no idea".

Thanks,
I've had the EXACT same thing for the past 2 years on and off! Sounds like chirping / birds at low speeds it's very annoying.

I took it in and they said that it's fine, it happens after a while to the system. As others suggested above, cleaning the crap would remove it but it comes back after a while. Really sucks :/
Xp0gam3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:06 AM   #6
stevey_frac

Quote:
By squirrel cage, do you mean the vent located on the top of the engine compartment near the back of the engine? What if that's already clean?
I'm probably not using the right terminology. It looks like this:

It's the fan, basically. If you suck crap into there, or stuff falls down vents or... I have no idea how crap gets in there, but it seems to. Cleaning out around it can help.

Next up:
EBC Redstuff street pads
1LE Track Pack

Old 04-15-2014, 08:06 AM   #7
RobertRS

Drives: 2014 2-LT RS Camaro
Not trying to be a smarty but Camaro problems/issues/and warranty forums would have been the proper forum. It's good for future reference that the moderators sort out posts and move them to the respective location. Otherwise ,a chirping or cricket sound you describe could even be a fan motor bearing. I'd have to hear it for myself though. Air flow passing through a partially open damper can make weird sounds too.
RobertRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:07 AM   #8
stevey_frac

And if it's already clean, replacing the whole blower assembly tends to work. For a while.

Next up:
EBC Redstuff street pads
1LE Track Pack

Old 04-15-2014, 08:28 AM   #9
Dark Ninja

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
I'm having the same problem and i have no idea what it is. =/
Old 04-15-2014, 08:42 AM   #10
CrtRS13

Drives: 2013 Crystal Red Tint 2LT RS
This has been discussed many times before
Check out these links
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204053
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103153
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67723
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7324396
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7452868
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209401

Seems like this has been happening since 2010, You would think by now they would have fixed this. BTW, my 13 does it too, but amazingly not when it was at the dealer.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:43 AM   #11
Jeff10

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS (IOM)
Had the same issue with my Chevy truck, used a shop vac and the best I could ran it back and forth on the defroster vents a few times, whatever was in their came out. i agree not sure what it is that get's in there but something does, as I don't put anything on my dash. might try this before you replace a blower motor.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:48 AM   #12
ackeight

Drives: 10' 2SS/RS
Mine actually went away over time. Since new it was chirping occasionally. The past year+ not a peep.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:13 AM   #13
enrayged

Drives: Black 2011 2SS RS
mine does the chirping only in the mornings, and only if outside temp is under 40... for now...
enrayged is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:02 AM   #14
Ryan87mets

Drives: 2013 camaro 1ls summit white
happened to me i got it fixed at the end of last year and im starting to hear it again. it is very annoying
Old 04-15-2014, 11:28 AM   #15
Swacer

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
I have the same problem and Tom Henry is ordering me a new blower fan. Should have it installed later this week.

It would appear when the fan speed is <4, and as the car runs longer it will continue to get louder and louder. Its so annoying I had to shut it off.
~Imperial Blue Metallic~LS3~M6~GM High Spoiler~GM Ground Effect~GM Tower Brace~Heritage Grill~Roto-Fab Cold Air Intake~THR Exhaust~Stainless Power Headers~VMAX Ported Throttle Body~Tuned By Frost~Barton Short Throw~ShowStopper Side Markers
Swacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:57 PM   #16
Abomb1223

Drives: 2011 Camaro
Mine does the same thing, haven't taken it in yet
Abomb1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 02:06 PM   #17
Dexman1349
2010 2SS/RS M6

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
Mine was replaced under warranty the first time. It's doing it again now, but I'm out of the warranty period. Getting a can of spray-on dry lubricant is on my to-do list based on my previous encounters with the problem.

Mods:
Ext: ZL1 front w/mailslot, painted stripes, powdercoated SS rims, and Gary's customs bowties, painted emblems and taillight bezels

Suspension: Pedders subframe bushing inserts, Prothane radius arm inserts, steering rack bushings, Pfadt Sport sways & endlinks coming soon: Pfadt UCA Bushings, ZL1 tie rods

Powertrain: RMCR tune, CAI intake, Kooks headers, high-flow cats & exhaust, VMAX TB, LSR Tri-Ax shifter, Clutch reservoir

Wanted: 3.91 gears & posi-mod, Coilovers, NightOwl Halo kit, trailing arms, full/solid subframe busings
Dexman1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 02:13 PM   #18
Swacer

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexman1349 View Post
Mine was replaced under warranty the first time. It's doing it again now, but I'm out of the warranty period. Getting a can of spray-on dry lubricant is on my to-do list based on my previous encounters with the problem.
Its a poor design on GM's part. My 23 yr old accord never had an issue with the blower fan. Hell, come to think of it, none of the cars I've ever owned, or driven have had a blower fan issue.

Camaro...has 8K miles.

I am going to be really sad if it breaks again, because I am at year 2 of my warranty.
~Imperial Blue Metallic~LS3~M6~GM High Spoiler~GM Ground Effect~GM Tower Brace~Heritage Grill~Roto-Fab Cold Air Intake~THR Exhaust~Stainless Power Headers~VMAX Ported Throttle Body~Tuned By Frost~Barton Short Throw~ShowStopper Side Markers
Swacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:20 PM   #19
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!

Drives: 2011 SS/RS
Yep. Many of us have the problem and of course it's never repeatable at the dealer. Mine comes and goes. Seems to be at its worst when it's really hot out and the AC is running. Going to try cleaning out the area behind the cabin filter.
Obzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:30 PM   #20
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:

Thanks,
I realize how displeasing it can be when faced with a fan noise concern like this skirush, and though you're seeking thoughts and opinions, I would be happy to communicate this situation with the designated Customer Experience Manager at your preferred dealer once you seek service. Feel free to message us privately if you'd like to proceed, or discuss this situation further.

Kindly,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 04:19 PM   #21
RacnJsn95
Mad Scientist

Drives: 2014 1LT Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to RacnJsn95 Send a message via MSN to RacnJsn95
It seems to be common... All 3 of my Camaro's have done it.

Specializing in attractive "no drill" front license plate brackets for the 2010+ Camaro Check out our new website! www.jacfab.com
2010 Camaro 1SS RJT w/ SIM Stripes; M6. 12.535 @ 112.33mph SOLD!
2014 Camaro 1LT RRM; A6.JacFab No-Drill front license plate bracket... More to come...
RacnJsn95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 04:51 PM   #22
Camarodriver2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS - Bumblebee
My 2011 SS does it too....but with my new muffler delete, it's not as noticeable:-)
Camarodriver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 05:01 PM   #23
Vespula2012

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS/SS LS3
My 2012 SS did it as well. Was replaced under warranty. But I hate that they have to cut the original one out... that its not a bolt on/off part.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:55 PM   #24
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
most electrical motors are sealed units meaning there is no zirc to grease the fan especially on smaller motors, and being our fan motors are so small they are most likely more susceptible to making noise... I had old chevies that had original fan motors last forever or thirty -40 years without a hint of noise til they were ready to croak.... you could try a penetrating oil to the motors bearing where the shaft comes out if that helps..... though I am sure they are not as easily accessible as just popping the hood to look at the firewall.........
2013 2SS/RS LS3 M6 ,CRT, 491 rwhp mustang dyno,dual mode ,sunroof ,heritage grill clear bra, TSP cam, Stainless power headers, CAI induction, LPW diff cover, BMR trailing arms etc, Rocket racing wheels, catch can, clutch reservoir, under dash/body lights LED, DRL lights/halos, Dash kit, Custom striping and Sparks badges and Engine badge, Corvette Stainless engine cover.
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 03:28 PM   #25
need4spd

Drives: 2012 2SS Black on Black
My v6 and my v8 both have this issue.. comes out after about 6 months of ownership. I guess its the quality of the blower fans that GM use. Cheap fans.

current ride - 2012 Black on Black 2SS RS w/ sunroof, muffler delete with SLP exhaust tips, rotofab cai, Falken RT7 wheels, gm strut brace, BMR 1.4 drop springs all four corners, Stainless Power 1 7/8 long tubes, Hex Vents, Jannetty Racing Tune, Helmholtz J pipe.
need4spd is offline   Reply With Quote