Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion Come chat about other cars.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:58 PM   #1
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2014 Stingray Z51 NPP MRC, Audi Q5
Tesla unveils 90 second battery swap

For $50 bucks. Interesting, mainly because this means that you really may not need to worry about "replacing" your battery when it wears down. Everyone shares batteries, and Tesla covers the cost of replacing it if they are going to swap batteries like that.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/06/21/auto...source=cnn_bin
Old 06-21-2013, 10:24 PM   #2
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '13 ATS 2.0T & '14 Chevrolet SS
Have to see how this works out. The idea of battery swapping or battery leasing is not new. The issue is that if you are going across country these stations need to be right off the highway at convenient locations. Why would you want to drive 10 miles or more out of your way to continue to drive another 200? Sounds good on paper but I'll wait for the real deal to see how it works out.

Consider how many cars can fill up at a gas station any given day. Will Tesla be able to store 1,000 or more batteries? Or worse, with on 20,000 Teslas on the road can a station stay in business swapping only a couple of packs per day?
Old 06-21-2013, 10:27 PM   #3
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
You wouldn't need a whole station. Just train a person at an already operating charging station. Better yet, train people at existing gas stations how to do it.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:43 PM   #4
trademaster

Drives: 06 Maserati gran sport, 12 z06
A nice step forward. In my opinion the future of electric vehicles lies in this technology.

http://grist.org/list/liquid-battery...three-minutes/

It will be a while before such a thing is viable for automotive, but it would make for a pretty smooth transition if they can retrofit current gasoline pumps.
trademaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:53 PM   #5
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Have to see how this works out. The idea of battery swapping or battery leasing is not new. The issue is that if you are going across country these stations need to be right off the highway at convenient locations. Why would you want to drive 10 miles or more out of your way to continue to drive another 200? Sounds good on paper but I'll wait for the real deal to see how it works out.

Consider how many cars can fill up at a gas station any given day. Will Tesla be able to store 1,000 or more batteries? Or worse, with on 20,000 Teslas on the road can a station stay in business swapping only a couple of packs per day?
I think the bigger issue would be managing where all the batteries need to be shipped as batteries will migrate away from more remote locations. You wouldn't need a huge stock of batteries, mainly because there will likely be a system for recharging them, and it's likely most people will still choose to charge using the quick charge method.

It'll be interesting to see what happens.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:49 PM   #6
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

http://vimeo.com/68832891#