Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Nickey Chicago
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Forced Induction - V8 V8 Supercharger, turbo, nitrous discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2013, 06:30 AM   #26
Rockey33
 
Rockey33's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 IOM Camaro SS
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 164
I went with an Edelbrock. I have all my work done at a Chevy dealership that also has a performance shop as well. They are an authorized dealer and had installed a lot of them. In fact they let me test drive a Camaro that had a E-force in it. It had 15,000 unkind miles after the supercharger was installed and the car ran great with no issues. That is what sold me. To be honest I think if my perfomance shop that I use sold Whipples, SLP, Magnuson, etc. I may have gone with another brand. For me it was about the quality of install, the trust I have in the shop, and what they suggest. However I did a lot of research and really liked the Edelbrock as well. It's a lot of money. Take your time.
Attached Images
 
Rockey33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:48 AM   #27
11syn3rgy
JT Synergy RS/2SS
 
11syn3rgy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro RS/2SS (L99) Synergy
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Hager City, WI
Posts: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by talon6900 View Post
As a fellow synergy owner, I say if they offered the zl1 in synergy green, I would have traded up immediately... However, since that wasn't an option... I went with the new style SLP and had it painted to match...



Also, With my CAI, I just needed to order the adapter tube for the new S/C... and now it looks sweet...

That looks frickin AWESOME!!!! Nice.
11syn3rgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:49 AM   #28
11syn3rgy
JT Synergy RS/2SS
 
11syn3rgy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro RS/2SS (L99) Synergy
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Hager City, WI
Posts: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamp View Post
Trade it on a ZL1. That way you got factory warranty and everything else to back it up
ZL1's are bad ass, but I want to stay with my Synergy Green. Love this color!
11syn3rgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:55 AM   #29
11syn3rgy
JT Synergy RS/2SS
 
11syn3rgy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro RS/2SS (L99) Synergy
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Hager City, WI
Posts: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockey33 View Post
I went with an Edelbrock. I have all my work done at a Chevy dealership that also has a performance shop as well. They are an authorized dealer and had installed a lot of them. In fact they let me test drive a Camaro that had a E-force in it. It had 15,000 unkind miles after the supercharger was installed and the car ran great with no issues. That is what sold me. To be honest I think if my perfomance shop that I use sold Whipples, SLP, Magnuson, etc. I may have gone with another brand. For me it was about the quality of install, the trust I have in the shop, and what they suggest. However I did a lot of research and really liked the Edelbrock as well. It's a lot of money. Take your time.
Thanks man. Looks great!
11syn3rgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:58 AM   #30
sscamaro

 
sscamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Denver,PA
Posts: 1,840
I also went with the Edelbrock E-Force. I liked the stock look of the E-Force.

A roots S/C will give you more torq in the low RPM range. The centrifical S/C (Pro-Charger) give more HP at a higher RPM. So, a roots will be better for the street where you don't get high RPM's.

__________________
2010 2SS/RS Victory Red, MN6, 1-7/8 Kooks LT Headers, SLP Axle Back, Edelbrock E-Force S/C, ZL1 Fuel Pump, 72# Injectors, JRE fuel rail upgrade, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite Catch Can, Billet Hurst Shifter, DSS 1000HP axles, Spohn Trailing Arms, Toe Links, Lower Control Arms. 546/rwhp & 522/rwtq Tune by Jeremy Formato.
sscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:35 PM   #31
11syn3rgy
JT Synergy RS/2SS
 
11syn3rgy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro RS/2SS (L99) Synergy
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Hager City, WI
Posts: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by sscamaro View Post
I also went with the Edelbrock E-Force. I liked the stock look of the E-Force.

A roots S/C will give you more torq in the low RPM range. The centrifical S/C (Pro-Charger) give more HP at a higher RPM. So, a roots will be better for the street where you don't get high RPM's.

Good to know. Thanks!
11syn3rgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:18 PM   #32
Mchlgrrsn
Stroked and blown
 
Mchlgrrsn's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 LS3 2SS
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bridgewater, NJ
Posts: 1,452
Maggie has a lot of pulleys and belt systems available, and my personal favorite the rear OD cog drive. 6lbs is great today ... next year not so much lol
Name:  IMG_0099.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  163.3 KB

This one does 13.5lbs no belt slip thanks to JRE. Big IAT, in the process of fixing.
__________________
LME 416 LS3 shortblock/Callies Compstar 4340 4"crank/Callies 6.125 H beams rods/Wiesco 4.07 forged pistons/Cam Motion custom LS1/LME ported heads /maggie TVS2300/I West 8rib 10%OD /3.2 pulley/OD cog drive/JRE tensioner/ID850 /ADM dual fuel/Kooks LT 1 7/8/magna flow2.5 /cat delete/Roto Fab CAI /MGW short throw /SPEC super twin clutch/G Force built trans,carbon syncro rear shaft upgrade /DSS 9"single CF DS /Strange 3.70/31 spline trutrac/MT DR's/earls oil cooler /tuned KHC

Last edited by Mchlgrrsn; 06-23-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Mchlgrrsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:38 PM   #33
catalan
 
Drives: -
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bahrain
Posts: 164
Go Maggie !
catalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:49 PM   #34
enyce0387
 
enyce0387's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 camaro 2ss/rs ls3
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: long island NY
Posts: 340
what the deal no ProCharger Paxton or Vortech fans? i hear that the heat soak and multiple pulls on the top mount superchargers kills their numbers. Im also looking to to get a supercharger within the next few months and i think im leaning the centrifugal way. Less heat soak, and more power up top where its actually useable not "just roasting the tires from a stop" any input would be appreciated tho
enyce0387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 04:01 PM   #35
Lee123

 
Lee123's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2SS M6
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 754
I got involved in this debate a week or so ago when someone posted that he regretted buying a Maggie and I asked why. He races a lot and said he has problems with heat soak. He wishes he bought a Procharger or Vortech. He did go on to say that if he was only interested in street performance he would stick with the Maggie.

On the other hand, the member who posts as "Supercharged SS" has an extremely fast car and I'm pretty sure he runs a Maggie.
__________________
2012 2SS Convertible
Magnuson, Headers, Cam, JRE Tune. 563 HP.
Lee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 04:06 PM   #36
epstein
Account Suspended
 
Drives: SS/RS
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Transplanted from NYC..(ret. NYPD).Now in CT
Posts: 907
Send a message via AIM to epstein
9.80 @ 139.73, 1.45 60', 2010 Jannetty Racing L99


Yeah Jamie is Quick......
epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 04:14 PM   #37
Birm



 
Birm's Avatar
 
Drives: Florida Speed & Power
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pinellas Park, FL
Posts: 3,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by enyce0387 View Post
what the deal no ProCharger Paxton or Vortech fans? i hear that the heat soak and multiple pulls on the top mount superchargers kills their numbers. Im also looking to to get a supercharger within the next few months and i think im leaning the centrifugal way. Less heat soak, and more power up top where its actually useable not "just roasting the tires from a stop" any input would be appreciated tho
ECS
__________________
Birm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:59 PM   #38
rdblan2

 
Drives: 2SS RS
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MD
Posts: 1,223
I don't think you can go wrong with any of the big names. Just make sure you have the rubber and suspension work to hold the power. I had to get wider wheels and new tires to keep mine from turning into instant smoke fest every time I mashed the gas.
__________________
Livernois 2C cam and tune, LS3 conversion, Roto-Fab intake, Kooks headers, DSS driveshaft and axles, BMR suspension parts, VMax ported throttle body, Whipple blower. (623hp).
rdblan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:39 PM   #39
Mchlgrrsn
Stroked and blown
 
Mchlgrrsn's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 LS3 2SS
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bridgewater, NJ
Posts: 1,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by enyce0387 View Post
what the deal no ProCharger Paxton or Vortech fans? i hear that the heat soak and multiple pulls on the top mount superchargers kills their numbers. Im also looking to to get a supercharger within the next few months and i think im leaning the centrifugal way. Less heat soak, and more power up top where its actually useable not "just roasting the tires from a stop" any input would be appreciated tho

I had Maggie at 6lbs of boost than a run at 9lbs and now 13lbs, the IATs did not become a problem for me until 13lbs. There are things you can do (which in am in the middle of doing) to combat it. Race when it's 60 degrees or less lol. Install a larger resivior which you can pack with ice, good for the track. For street driving looks like the super chiller will get the job done. Most people say meth is the way to go, but spraying "pre blower" is not terribly effective.
__________________
LME 416 LS3 shortblock/Callies Compstar 4340 4"crank/Callies 6.125 H beams rods/Wiesco 4.07 forged pistons/Cam Motion custom LS1/LME ported heads /maggie TVS2300/I West 8rib 10%OD /3.2 pulley/OD cog drive/JRE tensioner/ID850 /ADM dual fuel/Kooks LT 1 7/8/magna flow2.5 /cat delete/Roto Fab CAI /MGW short throw /SPEC super twin clutch/G Force built trans,carbon syncro rear shaft upgrade /DSS 9"single CF DS /Strange 3.70/31 spline trutrac/MT DR's/earls oil cooler /tuned KHC
Mchlgrrsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:41 PM   #40
Mchlgrrsn
Stroked and blown
 
Mchlgrrsn's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 LS3 2SS
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bridgewater, NJ
Posts: 1,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11syn3rgy View Post
ZL1's are bad ass, but I want to stay with my Synergy Green. Love this color!

I usually don't go for anything flashy, but yours I like It looks like alien technology. Nice job
__________________
LME 416 LS3 shortblock/Callies Compstar 4340 4"crank/Callies 6.125 H beams rods/Wiesco 4.07 forged pistons/Cam Motion custom LS1/LME ported heads /maggie TVS2300/I West 8rib 10%OD /3.2 pulley/OD cog drive/JRE tensioner/ID850 /ADM dual fuel/Kooks LT 1 7/8/magna flow2.5 /cat delete/Roto Fab CAI /MGW short throw /SPEC super twin clutch/G Force built trans,carbon syncro rear shaft upgrade /DSS 9"single CF DS /Strange 3.70/31 spline trutrac/MT DR's/earls oil cooler /tuned KHC
Mchlgrrsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:53 PM   #41
11syn3rgy
JT Synergy RS/2SS
 
11syn3rgy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro RS/2SS (L99) Synergy
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Hager City, WI
Posts: 495
Thanks guys! Now the decision to go top-mount or centrifugal? Both have their advantages. Any advice on how to convince the wife that this is a good investment? She's not convinced "yet". HA!! I think I'm wearing her down. At nothing else, I'm sure she's tired of listening to me talk about it.
11syn3rgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:50 PM   #42
mcdoogle6969

 
mcdoogle6969's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 2008 Heritage 300C
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11syn3rgy View Post
Thanks guys! Now the decision to go top-mount or centrifugal? Both have their advantages. Any advice on how to convince the wife that this is a good investment? She's not convinced "yet". HA!! I think I'm wearing her down. At nothing else, I'm sure she's tired of listening to me talk about it.
I got bored of the Top-Mount style real fast. It's all fun and dandy for the first month or so. Got extremely bored with the power. Sometimes I forgot I had a supercharger on the car lol. Going with an F1-A this year with a huge build, should pull like a raped ape in the higher RPM's.

You'll have a lot more room to grow down the road with a big centri blower over a top-mount.

But if you think this will be the last thing you'll need, and it's just a DD with a little bit a fun, go with a roots or twin screw. You'll have fun melting tires.
__________________
mcdoogle6969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:53 PM   #43
Mchlgrrsn
Stroked and blown
 
Mchlgrrsn's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 LS3 2SS
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bridgewater, NJ
Posts: 1,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11syn3rgy View Post
Thanks guys! Now the decision to go top-mount or centrifugal? Both have their advantages. Any advice on how to convince the wife that this is a good investment? She's not convinced "yet". HA!! I think I'm wearing her down. At nothing else, I'm sure she's tired of listening to me talk about it.

Lol. Whine, whine , and more whine. Use lots of gear head jargon, they can't withstand that for long
__________________
LME 416 LS3 shortblock/Callies Compstar 4340 4"crank/Callies 6.125 H beams rods/Wiesco 4.07 forged pistons/Cam Motion custom LS1/LME ported heads /maggie TVS2300/I West 8rib 10%OD /3.2 pulley/OD cog drive/JRE tensioner/ID850 /ADM dual fuel/Kooks LT 1 7/8/magna flow2.5 /cat delete/Roto Fab CAI /MGW short throw /SPEC super twin clutch/G Force built trans,carbon syncro rear shaft upgrade /DSS 9"single CF DS /Strange 3.70/31 spline trutrac/MT DR's/earls oil cooler /tuned KHC
Mchlgrrsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:54 PM   #44
Birm



 
Birm's Avatar
 
Drives: Florida Speed & Power
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pinellas Park, FL
Posts: 3,160
Convince her that a Centri Blower reduces strain on the engine, increase highway fuel mileage (actually true if you keep your foot out of it) lol
__________________
Birm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:56 PM   #45
11syn3rgy
JT Synergy RS/2SS
 
11syn3rgy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro RS/2SS (L99) Synergy
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Hager City, WI
Posts: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdoogle6969 View Post
I got bored of the Top-Mount style real fast. It's all fun and dandy for the first month or so. Got extremely bored with the power. Sometimes I forgot I had a supercharger on the car lol. Going with an F1-A this year with a huge build, should pull like a raped ape in the higher RPM's.
Where are you at in WI? Any interest in selling your top-mount blower? I live in WI too. Maybe we can work something out? Lemme know.

Send me a PM if interested. Thanks!

John
11syn3rgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:58 PM   #46
11syn3rgy
JT Synergy RS/2SS
 
11syn3rgy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro RS/2SS (L99) Synergy
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Hager City, WI
Posts: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birm View Post
Convince her that a Centri Blower reduces strain on the engine, increase highway fuel mileage (actually true if you keep your foot out of it) lol
PERFECT!!! Thanks man.

I've been consciously trying to find a way to get the word "supercharger" into daily conversations. It's actually getting kinda comical at this point. I was replying to a text she sent earlier today and at the end I just wrote....Supercharger. She just rolls her eyes at this point. Love it! HA!
11syn3rgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:59 PM   #47
11syn3rgy
JT Synergy RS/2SS
 
11syn3rgy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro RS/2SS (L99) Synergy
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Hager City, WI
Posts: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdblan2 View Post
I don't think you can go wrong with any of the big names. Just make sure you have the rubber and suspension work to hold the power. I had to get wider wheels and new tires to keep mine from turning into instant smoke fest every time I mashed the gas.
Already have a set of Nitto 555R's mounted and ready in the garage!

Time for a blower!!!
11syn3rgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:01 PM   #48
Birm



 
Birm's Avatar
 
Drives: Florida Speed & Power
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pinellas Park, FL
Posts: 3,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11syn3rgy View Post
PERFECT!!! Thanks man.

I've been consciously trying to find a way to get the word "supercharger" into daily conversations. It's actually getting kinda comical at this point. I was replying to a text she sent earlier today and at the end I just wrote....Supercharger. She just rolls her eyes at this point. Love it! HA!
I got my girl involved to the point where now she can name most mods by sound alone.. She doesn't turn a wrench but is pretty intuned with what is going on performance wise. It was a work in progress, but well worth it
__________________
Birm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:02 PM   #49
mcdoogle6969

 
mcdoogle6969's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 2008 Heritage 300C
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11syn3rgy View Post
Where are you at in WI? Any interest in selling your top-mount blower? I live in WI too. Maybe we can work something out? Lemme know.

Send me a PM if interested. Thanks!

John
It's been gone for a month now, sorry!! I'm from Wausau, looking at finishing the build mid July. If you haven't made up your mind by then you should stop by and I can persuade your decision!
__________________
mcdoogle6969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:03 PM   #50
11syn3rgy
JT Synergy RS/2SS
 
11syn3rgy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro RS/2SS (L99) Synergy
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Hager City, WI
Posts: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchlgrrsn View Post
Lol. Whine, whine , and more whine. Use lots of gear head jargon, they can't withstand that for long
That's awesome.

Hey, speaking of "whine". Is there any difference in top-mount or centrifugal when it comes to "noise"? I like some gear whine, but some of them are a bit much. I noticed the Procharger had a helical gear set to reduce noise. This makes me think they are a little noisey? Thoughts.

Thanks again guys. You have NO idea how much this thread has already helped.
11syn3rgy is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
supercharger

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.