Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 06-23-2013, 03:48 AM   #1
IPT

Drives: '02 Trailblazer, '12 Camaro 2SS/RS
Painting with HVLP gun - newbie needs advice

Okay guys, bear with me here. I recently got a turbine (4) HVLP gun system. Not sure why I always but the right tools after I finish the job they would have helped (tons of trim work and 6 panels doors).

Anyway, I figured I now have the right ool to play. So, I was thinking about maybe messing with the bowtie and maybe doign it SIM to match. I have a spare rear (BIllet aluminum) to play with. Also, as an aside I saw someone painted thier kitchen cabinets in auto paint clear and all and it came out amazing. Not sure what was involved as that was wood but I do have a cabinet to build and paint for a fishtank so that could be another project.

So, being new to this I really don't even know where to start. I have used the gun two times, spraying latex. I am aware of some basics such as using the viscosity cup to get proper thinning, using a respirator, maintaining good ventilation, and doing a test piece adjusting material flow looking for the perfect amount of atomization.

I am open to any and all ideas, links, and suggestions from anyone here that can point me in the right direction. If I can get this down maybe I can do the fuse box cover etc. I saw a post that someone got paint from NAPA so maybe that is an option.

Thanks in advance for input and pointing me the right way as I learn! Not sure if this should have been in exterior modifications but it said "bodywork: so I'll start with it here! Cheers.
IPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:41 AM   #2
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
overhaulengines is the one you want to PM or call. He is a vendor on here that is very helpful and his painting is some of the best I have ever seen!!

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:32 PM   #3
IPT

thanks
Old 06-24-2013, 11:11 PM   #4
ChadG

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
overhaulengines is the one you want to PM or call. He is a vendor on here that is very helpful and his painting is some of the best I have ever seen!!
Agreed Lupe's work is mind boggling!
ChadG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:08 PM   #5
IPT

Thanks guys - thanks Lupe - I PM'd him and he responded promptly. You guys are right he seems to be a great guy and his work is pretty amazing.