Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Grabiak Performance Center
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 06-23-2013, 06:04 PM   #1
mjross

Drives: 2014 Corvette Stingray
L99 muffler replacement with GM performance mufflers

Sorry for the bother on this but I need your help and honest input. Tonight I'm going to install my K&N cai filter system and my real issue is installing the GM Performance mufflers tomorrow. I'm getting ready to take the SS on vacation and was wondering if any one has an opinion on if I should install the axle back GM performance mufflers knowing that I have an automatic L99 and some members have had issues with this particular modification.

I have read everything I can find in the L99 factory muffler replacement and the drone and AFM thing and I really have to say arghhhhhhh.......... Just not sure what to do on this one.

I purchased the GM performance muffler from one of the forum members that decided to go a different route with their exhaust. They had the GM exhaust on and L99 automatic and did not seem to mind it at all. On the other hand, several members that have installed the GM performance mufflers on their L99 seem to have major issues.

I have been driving my SS a lot lately to see if I can detect drone or AFM and I must say, hmmmmmmm..... I'm not sure what it is or sounds like for that matter. I know that my system is stock but I can not detect what people say they hear and experience even with the car totally stock.

So to quit rambling, can a few of you that have installed the GM Performance Axle Back mufflers on there SS give me an idea if you love it, hate it, wish you would have done it sooner, wish you had avoided it, etc.

I've heard some videos that show that the GM performance muffler can give the SS the added growl and rumble I'm looking for but is it livable with the L99 automatic.

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

I know this is a well beaten horse but I just need some honest input before I get the GM Performance mufflers installed in the morning. Maybe I won't.........

Again, thanks for your time and patience

Peace,

Mj
mjross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:15 PM   #2
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
I had them on my 2010 L99 and they made it sound meaner. Drone was not to bad.
2013 2SS, GM Strut Tower Brace, CAI Intake Black, VMAX TB, Elite Catch Can, Hotchkis Chassis Brace, Hurst Shifter, 3.91 1LE Complete Rear End, NPP, 1LE Track Pack,Factory Reproductions Style 41 ZL1 Fitment Wheels 10" on all 4 corners
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:25 PM   #3
mjross

Scott,

Any AFM issues?
Old 06-23-2013, 06:32 PM   #4
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Not until I cut out the resonator and put a X-pipe in. So after that I just tuned it. But with stock resonator in I did not have an issue.
2013 2SS, GM Strut Tower Brace, CAI Intake Black, VMAX TB, Elite Catch Can, Hotchkis Chassis Brace, Hurst Shifter, 3.91 1LE Complete Rear End, NPP, 1LE Track Pack,Factory Reproductions Style 41 ZL1 Fitment Wheels 10" on all 4 corners
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:41 PM   #5
mjross

Thanks for the input Scott. Any one else? Please chime in. I'd love to hear opinions before I get this done tomorrow. Thanks for your time and patience.

Peace,

Mj
Old 06-23-2013, 09:29 PM   #6
ihada69L78

Drives: 2015 ZL1 SW M6
I have the GM round (Borla S) mufflers. Sounds like the cars should sound from the factory IMHO. Deep. A little drone but not bad. Had these mufflers with high-flow cats and I could not live with the drone. Took cats off.
You won't be sorry.
Hope this helps.
ihada69L78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:54 PM   #7
Chevy9534

Drives: 2013 2ss/rs
Im currently using those mufflers on my ss with Lg long tubes and 3" exhuast. They sound good and at 70-75 there is almost no drone in the car. I had my afm turned off do to the sound when it cuts from 8-4 cylinders
Chevy9534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:42 PM   #8
mjross

Gentlemen/Ladies,

Thanks for the input! I installed the K&N this morning and just got the SS back from the muffler shop with the GM Performance mufflers installed. I must say, I LIKE IT! Not too loud, not to soft. Pretty much a happy medium. It appears that this is the ideal set up for the person that likes to have a little rumble now and then but also likes to keep it down at times when blasting through the neighborhood. It appears that this set up can be mild or some what wild on demand. The best of both worlds. I've only been able to check it out for just a short run but from what I can gather at this time, it works for me. No real issue so far on the freeway. Seems to be fine at speed. Works for me. Not a bad choice if you do not want to be loud all the time. Very nice when you get on it. I want to thank you for taking the time to reply, it did help my decision. Have a great day.

Peace,

Mj