Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Solo Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2013, 06:30 PM   #1
Motion427
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Red Jewel L99
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NB,Canada
Posts: 837
28x4.5x17 front skinny owners,come in please

Those of you that run the 28x4.5x17 M&H front skinny tire.
by any chance,did you check how much they weight each?

The reason I'm asking,I would prefer to run a radial vs a bias because I run a DR in the back.

I think I found a front Radial tire that is between 28"-29" that would work on a 17"x5" wheel, Speed rating H. The weight of the tire is 26lbs.And is affordable.
One of our tire warehouses has a few sets,I think I'm gonna asked them to send me 2 so that I can take a close look at them.

I only run the 17" Welds in the back for now because I was waiting for a Front radial. Kinda tired of running the stock 20" in the front.I was surfing the web for tire options and came across it.

It's the Bridgestone Dueler H/L 400. Size 215/70/17
#142469
It say's approved rim is 6.5-7.5. But I think it should be 5.5-7.5
The reason is, I also found a tire size that is 215/65/17 and the approved rim size is 6 to 7.5 (The Bridgestone Ecopia EP422)

I know that the 70 series is a little taller and narrower than the 65 series.

The 215/70/17 mesure 28.9 and the 215/65/17 mesure 28.5

I think either these tires will work,will also help weight transfer due to the height of the tire compare to the 26" skinny radial that is available.

What do you think ?
Motion427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:42 PM   #2
blazzin1


 
blazzin1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Plant City, FL
Posts: 4,347
When I had my Welds, I weighed one front tire (M&H 28x4.5-17 bias ply) and wheel (17x5 RT-S) together, it weighed 33.0 lbs. Sorry, never measured the tire alone. Although, I heard the tire was like 16 lbs., but never verified it. Let us know how that radial you found works out....interested!!!

Edit....just looked up the specs on the Weld Racing Website. According to them, their 17x5 RT-S (high pad) for our car weighs 16.2 pounds. If that's true....then the M&H Bias Ply weighs 16.8 lbs.
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:53 PM   #3
white ZL1

 
Drives: none
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: DFW area
Posts: 1,846
.....so still no word on a 28" radial skinny from M/T or M&H huh?
white ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:03 PM   #4
Pro Stock John
Writer
 
Pro Stock John's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS / 1951 Mercury
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 6,275
Yeah or maybe we need to ask Hoosier too...
__________________
PROJECT HEAVY CHEVY
Camaro Now: Mods for the Masses Part I | Part II
13.15@106 1.95 | 100% Stock
12.37@112 1.85 | + Kooks Headers/Cats + 20" 555R + CAI + BW TB + UDP + Tune
12.06@113 1.70 | + CD 3200 + 18" NT05R + RCR Intake + NE OTR + GPI Tune
11.84@115 1.59 | + 3.91s + Race Star 17x7 Fronts
10.90@125 1.47 | + GPI VVT Cam + BW Ported Heads + CD 3800
Pro Stock John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:14 PM   #5
blazzin1


 
blazzin1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Plant City, FL
Posts: 4,347
I'm still curious about these: http://www.cokertire.com/550r17-exce...rt-radial.html

I know they're stupid expensive....and they require a tube. But I don't know if the 1279 lb. load rating is enough for our "fat-ass" cars. Plus, I don't know what the weight or speed rating is on these either....but the size is absolutely PERFECT for a 4.5" or 5.0" wheel.
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:22 PM   #6
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sandy Hook, CT
Posts: 11,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazzin1 View Post
I'm still curious about these: http://www.cokertire.com/550r17-exce...rt-radial.html

I know they're stupid expensive....and they require a tube. But I don't know if the 1279 lb. load rating is enough for our "fat-ass" cars. Plus, I don't know what the weight or speed rating is on these either....but the size is absolutely PERFECT for a 4.5" or 5.0" wheel.


That tire will drag more water onto the line and down the track than the stock Pirellis. And there is no way it's speed rated for our cars.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:24 PM   #7
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sandy Hook, CT
Posts: 11,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion427 View Post
Those of you that run the 28x4.5x17 M&H front skinny tire.
by any chance,did you check how much they weight each?

The reason I'm asking,I would prefer to run a radial vs a bias because I run a DR in the back.

I think I found a front Radial tire that is between 28"-29" that would work on a 17"x5" wheel, Speed rating H. The weight of the tire is 26lbs.And is affordable.
One of our tire warehouses has a few sets,I think I'm gonna asked them to send me 2 so that I can take a close look at them.

I only run the 17" Welds in the back for now because I was waiting for a Front radial. Kinda tired of running the stock 20" in the front.I was surfing the web for tire options and came across it.

It's the Bridgestone Dueler H/L 400. Size 215/70/17
#142469
It say's approved rim is 6.5-7.5. But I think it should be 5.5-7.5
The reason is, I also found a tire size that is 215/65/17 and the approved rim size is 6 to 7.5 (The Bridgestone Ecopia EP422)

I know that the 70 series is a little taller and narrower than the 65 series.

The 215/70/17 mesure 28.9 and the 215/65/17 mesure 28.5

I think either these tires will work,will also help weight transfer due to the height of the tire compare to the 26" skinny radial that is available.

What do you think ?

Eventually you'll out grow the "H" speed rating. Then what? You won't pass tech.

What's wrong with running the M & H skinny? They are fine driving on the road. And a car with a bias front/ radial back will drag fine. It's when you have bias rear / radial front that the ass of the car skates around at 120+ mph.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:25 PM   #8
blazzin1


 
blazzin1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Plant City, FL
Posts: 4,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
That tire will drag more water onto the line and down the track than the stock Pirellis. And there is no way it's speed rated for our cars.
You're probably correct, but I sent Coker an e-mail asking for the weight and speed rating. We'll see what they say....
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:28 PM   #9
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sandy Hook, CT
Posts: 11,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazzin1 View Post
You're probably correct, but I sent Coker an e-mail asking for the weight and speed rating. We'll see what they say....


If I had a model "T" I would be looking at that tire. Not a 2010 Camaro.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:29 PM   #10
blazzin1


 
blazzin1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Plant City, FL
Posts: 4,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
Eventually you'll out grow the "H" speed rating. Then what? You won't pass tech.

What's wrong with running the M & H skinny? They are fine driving on the road. And a car with a bias front/ radial back will drag fine. It's when you have bias rear / radial front that the ass of the car skates around at 120+ mph.
All valid points!!! And they're light weight too!!!
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:31 PM   #11
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sandy Hook, CT
Posts: 11,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazzin1 View Post
You're probably correct, but I sent Coker an e-mail asking for the weight and speed rating. We'll see what they say....

If you blow up that picture it says 103S. I'm assuming that the "S" is the speed rating and that's 112 mph.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:32 PM   #12
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sandy Hook, CT
Posts: 11,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazzin1 View Post
All valid points!!! And they're light weight too!!!

I've had the same skinny's on the front for 3 years and they are still like new. They'll dry rot before they wear out.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:38 PM   #13
blazzin1


 
blazzin1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Plant City, FL
Posts: 4,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
If you blow up that picture it says 103S. I'm assuming that the "S" is the speed rating and that's 112 mph.
Yep, it does, didn't see that. I was hitting 107 mph my first time on the track, so yeah, I don't see the 112 being adequate for very long. Oh well, if the M&H radials aren't out by the time I get another set of Welds, I'll just stick with the bias ply 28's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
I've had the same skinny's on the front for 3 years and they are still like new. They'll dry rot before they wear out.
How many miles would you guesstimate you have on them?
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:00 PM   #14
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sandy Hook, CT
Posts: 11,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazzin1 View Post
Yep, it does, didn't see that. I was hitting 107 mph my first time on the track, so yeah, I don't see the 112 being adequate for very long. Oh well, if the M&H radials aren't out by the time I get another set of Welds, I'll just stick with the bias ply 28's.



How many miles would you guesstimate you have on them?
Not a lot. 5-600 prob. I swap them out if I'm driving anywhere far. I bet that they would last 5k though.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.