Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

ModBargains
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions All DIY projects & discussions

Old 06-23-2013, 07:40 PM   #1
A Town

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS LS3
Painting LLT intake manifold

I just installed my black ice and ported throttle body. Thanks to southwest speed I received my products fast and with no problems at all. I loved the look of the tb so much I want to paint my intake manifold to match my tb, but was wondering how. Lol and will the paint melt from the intake manifold? What kind of clear coat to use and all that. Please help looking to do this project soon. Also what is a good color scheme to go with the injen intake. I was thinking painting the intake to tb and the plenum to match the injen. Let me know what y'all think
Attached Images

Old 06-24-2013, 07:49 PM   #2
Trivera

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT
Just use high temp engine paint shouldn't melt off no need to sand the intake being that it should be a little ruff use dulpi color promotor first then high temp paint
Old 06-24-2013, 08:14 PM   #3
gml1998

Drives: 2010 Synergy Green Camaro
I have the Mace insulator on my Camaro.
I used Synergy Green from a rattle can (paintscratch.com) Then had it hydrodipped and cleared.
I installed it this past February and have had no issues. The insulator will keep the manifold cool enough to keep paint from melting/peeling.

I also blocked the manifold to fill in the texture left from casting.
To block it you need to spray on a sandable primer then sand it using 180 grit sand paper wrapped around a semi flexible foam block. Then respray primer and sand again. Do this several times until texture is filled. Then a final sand with 220 grit. Then spray color and clear.
I also took the time to grind off several casting numbers and such from the topside of the manifold.
Attached Images

gml1998 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:01 AM   #4
A Town

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS LS3
Your engine bay looks so clean and sharp I wanna be just like you. Lol so I got factory touch up spray paint today. And plan on doing this sometime this week. What kind of promotor is good to use? And I have some clear left over from my bezels I painted its the rust-oleum satin clear would that work?
Old 06-25-2013, 06:20 AM   #5
gml1998

Drives: 2010 Synergy Green Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Town View Post
Your engine bay looks so clean and sharp I wanna be just like you. Lol so I got factory touch up spray paint today. And plan on doing this sometime this week. What kind of promotor is good to use? And I have some clear left over from my bezels I painted its the rust-oleum satin clear would that work?
To paint plastic you need an adhesion promoter, For metal just a primer.
I used Duplicolor products .
gml1998 is online now   Reply With Quote