Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Emblempros
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2013, 09:36 PM   #1
Mkn95u0
 
Drives: 2012 IBM L99
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Pomona, CA
Posts: 351
educate me on throttle body upgrades (sc'd L99)

The title says it all basically, educate me on them... what is the benefit, what is the restriction, what are the downsides, what are the cost to power benefits.... and let's keep it semi limited towards the L99, with a touch on supercharged vs. Non supercharged.

All info is helpful.

If I posted this in wrong section, please let me know...
__________________
Robert
12.012 @ 115.75mph DA: 2371 | 486rwhp/467rwtq (as of 11/8/15)
11.524 @ 122.64mph DA: 2678 | 532rwhp / 526rwtq (as of 5/14/16)
7.376 @ 95.96mph in the 1/8th, 1.674 60ft
Youtube Racing Channel: http://www.youtube.com/c/RobertMitchellRCM
Mkn95u0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:39 PM   #2
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sandy Hook, CT
Posts: 11,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkn95u0 View Post
The title says it all basically, educate me on them... what is the benefit, what is the restriction, what are the downsides, what are the cost to power benefits.... and let's keep it semi limited towards the L99, with a touch on supercharged vs. Non supercharged.

All info is helpful.

If I posted this in wrong section, please let me know...
What supercharger? The centri doesn't benefit from the 102. The pd blowers do.
L99 or LS3 makes no difference.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:39 PM   #3
Mkn95u0
 
Drives: 2012 IBM L99
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Pomona, CA
Posts: 351
Edelbrock e force
__________________
Robert
12.012 @ 115.75mph DA: 2371 | 486rwhp/467rwtq (as of 11/8/15)
11.524 @ 122.64mph DA: 2678 | 532rwhp / 526rwtq (as of 5/14/16)
7.376 @ 95.96mph in the 1/8th, 1.674 60ft
Youtube Racing Channel: http://www.youtube.com/c/RobertMitchellRCM
Mkn95u0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:42 PM   #4
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sandy Hook, CT
Posts: 11,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkn95u0 View Post
Edelbrock e force
I'm not 100% sure how much gain you'll get with a 102 tb on that blower. It depends on how big the snout is or if it can be ported. If it can you'll gain anywhere from 20-25 rwhp from the 102. More air + more fuel = more power.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:48 PM   #5
Mkn95u0
 
Drives: 2012 IBM L99
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Pomona, CA
Posts: 351
Something I should probably skip out on then? I'm thinking of getting a smaller pulley for the sc, just kinda want to get some other affordable mods in at the same time as the tune... we are about to close escrow on our first house, so this will probably be my last set of mods for a long while....

Just trying to find a worthy mod in lieu of the smaller pulley.
__________________
Robert
12.012 @ 115.75mph DA: 2371 | 486rwhp/467rwtq (as of 11/8/15)
11.524 @ 122.64mph DA: 2678 | 532rwhp / 526rwtq (as of 5/14/16)
7.376 @ 95.96mph in the 1/8th, 1.674 60ft
Youtube Racing Channel: http://www.youtube.com/c/RobertMitchellRCM
Mkn95u0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:51 PM   #6
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sandy Hook, CT
Posts: 11,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkn95u0 View Post
Something I should probably skip out on then? I'm thinking of getting a smaller pulley for the sc, just kinda want to get some other affordable mode in at the same time as the tune... we are about to close escrow on our first house, so this will probably be my last set of mode for a long while....

Just trying to find a worthy mod in lieu of the smaller pulley.
No, it's a worth while mod. Dropping pulley sizes can lead to problems. Belt slip, to much boost, just to name a few. 25 rwhp is nothing to sneeze at for $500. Assuming the snout is already 102mm or bigger.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:56 PM   #7
Mkn95u0
 
Drives: 2012 IBM L99
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Pomona, CA
Posts: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
No, it's a worth while mod. Dropping pulley sizes can lead to problems. Belt slip, to much boost, just to name a few. 25 rwhp is nothing to sneeze at for $500. Assuming the snout is already 102mm or bigger.
I have a 3.875" pulley, im just dropping to a 3.5" (which comes with the LS3, the L99 gets the 3.875"

My thought on the TB was the same, $500 for easy gain if the snout is wide enough, just don't know those numbers or much about its usefullness
__________________
Robert
12.012 @ 115.75mph DA: 2371 | 486rwhp/467rwtq (as of 11/8/15)
11.524 @ 122.64mph DA: 2678 | 532rwhp / 526rwtq (as of 5/14/16)
7.376 @ 95.96mph in the 1/8th, 1.674 60ft
Youtube Racing Channel: http://www.youtube.com/c/RobertMitchellRCM
Mkn95u0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:58 PM   #8
Mkn95u0
 
Drives: 2012 IBM L99
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Pomona, CA
Posts: 351
Probably helpful to mention I'm at 5-6 lbs of boost with the pulley I have now.
__________________
Robert
12.012 @ 115.75mph DA: 2371 | 486rwhp/467rwtq (as of 11/8/15)
11.524 @ 122.64mph DA: 2678 | 532rwhp / 526rwtq (as of 5/14/16)
7.376 @ 95.96mph in the 1/8th, 1.674 60ft
Youtube Racing Channel: http://www.youtube.com/c/RobertMitchellRCM
Mkn95u0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:58 PM   #9
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sandy Hook, CT
Posts: 11,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkn95u0 View Post
I have a 3.875" pulley, im just dropping to a 3.5" (which comes with the LS3, the L99 gets the 3.875"

My thought on the TB was the same, $500 for easy gain if the snout is wide enough, just don't know those numbers or much about its usefullness
The E force I'm not familiar with. The Maggie and Whipple see great gains with the 102 tb. With the Eforce being a pd blower you should see similar gains. You'll have to look into the snout size. The Maggie needs porting but the whipple doesn't.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:59 PM   #10
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sandy Hook, CT
Posts: 11,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkn95u0 View Post
Probably helpful to mention I'm at 5-6 lbs of boost with the pulley I have now.
So a few more # would be fine.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:16 PM   #11
Mkn95u0
 
Drives: 2012 IBM L99
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Pomona, CA
Posts: 351
Cool deal, I'll have to get it measured and see if it would be worth it... I'm sure the minute I have to port the snout it will be out of my budget though, I don't quite trust myself with doing that ha.

I'm trying to get to 550rwhp or close to it, not sure how far off I am with the smaller pulley and tb, but I ran out of time and $$ so whatever that gives me will have to do.
__________________
Robert
12.012 @ 115.75mph DA: 2371 | 486rwhp/467rwtq (as of 11/8/15)
11.524 @ 122.64mph DA: 2678 | 532rwhp / 526rwtq (as of 5/14/16)
7.376 @ 95.96mph in the 1/8th, 1.674 60ft
Youtube Racing Channel: http://www.youtube.com/c/RobertMitchellRCM
Mkn95u0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:26 PM   #12
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sandy Hook, CT
Posts: 11,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkn95u0 View Post
Cool deal, I'll have to get it measured and see if it would be worth it... I'm sure the minute I have to port the snout it will be out of my budget though, I don't quite trust myself with doing that ha.

I'm trying to get to 550rwhp or close to it, not sure how far off I am with the smaller pulley and tb, but I ran out of time and $$ so whatever that gives me will have to do.
You're in Cali so I wouldn't get my heart set on a number. No headers or aftermarket cai will kill you. That pulley drop may bet you another 34-40 rwhp.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:33 PM   #13
Mkn95u0
 
Drives: 2012 IBM L99
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Pomona, CA
Posts: 351
Yeah, I have LT borla headers, cat delete, resonator delete to flowmasters and AEM custom CAI, and I'm at 443rwhp... I'm betting I'll be around 500rwhp at most with the pulley and Tb depending...

I debated between going to a 3.4" pulley, but I dont know enough of what could go wrong internally, or otherwise, so feel best to go with the 3.5"...
__________________
Robert
12.012 @ 115.75mph DA: 2371 | 486rwhp/467rwtq (as of 11/8/15)
11.524 @ 122.64mph DA: 2678 | 532rwhp / 526rwtq (as of 5/14/16)
7.376 @ 95.96mph in the 1/8th, 1.674 60ft
Youtube Racing Channel: http://www.youtube.com/c/RobertMitchellRCM
Mkn95u0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:48 PM   #14
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sandy Hook, CT
Posts: 11,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkn95u0 View Post
Yeah, I have LT borla headers, cat delete, resonator delete to flowmasters and AEM custom CAI, and I'm at 443rwhp... I'm betting I'll be around 500rwhp at most with the pulley and Tb depending...

I debated between going to a 3.4" pulley, but I dont know enough of what could go wrong internally, or otherwise, so feel best to go with the 3.5"...
I would start with the 3.5.

What type of dyno did they use? That number seems low that's why I thought no headers and cold air kit.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.