Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Emblempros
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons For all LFX related parts

Old 06-28-2013, 02:16 PM   #1
Buschman

Drives: 2013 1LT VR RS
Hot catch can

Maybe this is a stupid question but here goes. I installed my K&N intake and oil catch can today. Took it out for an hour or so hard drive to test everything out and make sure it was all right. After the drive I opened the hood to check all the fittings and bolts to make sure nothing was loose. I put my hand on the catch can to check the mount and damn near burned it. It is an aluminum can and is mounted in front of the radiator fan. Are they supposed to get that hot? Are there any concerns of the oil they collect catching fire? I know the flash point of 5w-30 is 400+, and I shouldn't be worried but I just wanted to know if maybe I did something wrong.
Attached Images

Last edited by Buschman; 06-28-2013 at 08:43 PM.
Buschman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:29 PM   #2
c_LoW29

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS, 2010 Mustang GT
judging by the picture it looks like an off brand catch can made of thin aluminum if this is the case it is probably getting really hot while driving due to the thin layer of metal and underhood tempature. My rx can get warm but not as much as to burn me.

For example did you get a K&N with the metal tube or plastic tube? If you got the metal one you will notice that it gets pretty damn hot after driving for a bit.

DMVC5
c_LoW29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:40 PM   #3
Buschman

Drives: 2013 1LT VR RS
It is an off brand, but it's chambered and the aluminum is 3/8" thick. I have the brace mounted to the break booster pump bracket, should I maybe find a different spot to mount it?

Buschman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:47 PM   #4
Airmaster
Go Gators!

Drives: 13' Camaro 1LS
My RX catch can gets pretty warm and hot to the touch after driving so it may be normal. I don't have a laser heat thermometer to see what it is exactly but it's fairly hot. Considering it is heated oil fumes I think it is understandable. Just depends how hot it truly is...