Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2013, 09:03 PM   #1
Synergy SATX
Mike and Debbie
 
Synergy SATX's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Zl1 & 2010 Ltd. Ed. Synergy V6
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: San Antonio TX
Posts: 855
Harsh grinding/vibration on heavy braking

2010 Camaro V6 auto, Pedders supers, zl1 rear sway, stainless brakelines, hawk race pads, bushings are red all over. Autocross this thing once a month hard and fast.

When in a hard brake (coming to a hard stop vs. slow braking into an eased stop) I am experiencing severe grinding/vibration. It feels like ABS on steroids.

Everything is tight and secure except the Front left hub seemed to have issues, replaced that. New brake pads. Rotors were lathed. Wheels balanced, rotated etc. Dot 4 Brake fluid flushed. Still. Weird brake issues. Thoughts?
__________________
Synergy SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:35 PM   #2
Rob@WretchedMS
 
Rob@WretchedMS's Avatar
 
Drives: His Wife Crazy Phone:860-880-0486
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Silas Deane Auto,CT Name: Rob Anderson
Posts: 1,651
Any shiny spots on the rotor where it might be hitting the caliper bracket where you have a bearing issue?

Did the noise change at all when you turned the rotors?

what pads before, what pads now.
Rob@WretchedMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:43 PM   #3
Synergy SATX
Mike and Debbie
 
Synergy SATX's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Zl1 & 2010 Ltd. Ed. Synergy V6
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: San Antonio TX
Posts: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@WretchedMS View Post
Any shiny spots on the rotor where it might be hitting the caliper bracket where you have a bearing issue?

Did the noise change at all when you turned the rotors?

what pads before, what pads now.
Hawk racing before and after.

Brackets aren't issue, checked them too.

Camaro Gremlin so far leading cause.

__________________
Synergy SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:47 PM   #4
Rob@WretchedMS
 
Rob@WretchedMS's Avatar
 
Drives: His Wife Crazy Phone:860-880-0486
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Silas Deane Auto,CT Name: Rob Anderson
Posts: 1,651
lol, Hawk makes 3 street pads, and a number of race pads,

Street pads are Ceramic, HPS, and HP+ being the most agressive,
The Track compounds have a lot of options, do you know which ones you have and were they the same model both times?
Rob@WretchedMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:06 PM   #5
Synergy SATX
Mike and Debbie
 
Synergy SATX's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Zl1 & 2010 Ltd. Ed. Synergy V6
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: San Antonio TX
Posts: 855
Same pads before and after
__________________
Synergy SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:11 PM   #6
Rob@WretchedMS
 
Rob@WretchedMS's Avatar
 
Drives: His Wife Crazy Phone:860-880-0486
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Silas Deane Auto,CT Name: Rob Anderson
Posts: 1,651
ok, i'm guess that you have the HP+ pads, it's just what they do, the grinding means they are stopping good, lol
just be sure the other things i mentioned are good.

going to the HPS pads for the street might not be a bad idea, less noise, less dust, less stopping, but still very good.
Rob@WretchedMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:19 PM   #7
Synergy SATX
Mike and Debbie
 
Synergy SATX's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Zl1 & 2010 Ltd. Ed. Synergy V6
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: San Antonio TX
Posts: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@WretchedMS View Post
ok, i'm guess that you have the HP+ pads, it's just what they do, the grinding means they are stopping good, lol
just be sure the other things i mentioned are good.

going to the HPS pads for the street might not be a bad idea, less noise, less dust, less stopping, but still very good.

Nope. This is new and severe. Since I had them before I know what they are like. This is intense. Like the subframe is getting ripped out bad vibration. Which didn't happen before. It also appeared days after the brake pad swap. I doubt it is the pads since we used them before and never experienced something like this. But...as I type all this, Keith and I were discussing swapping the pads out to make sure since we seemed to have tested everything out.
__________________
Synergy SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:22 PM   #8
Synergy SATX
Mike and Debbie
 
Synergy SATX's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Zl1 & 2010 Ltd. Ed. Synergy V6
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: San Antonio TX
Posts: 855
And again upon further thought.....I am going to check that box. Wondering if they shipped me the race only pads vs the HP+ pads for autoX etc...the dang box looks the same and part #'s are so close I wonder that may have happened.
__________________
Synergy SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:25 PM   #9
Rob@WretchedMS
 
Rob@WretchedMS's Avatar
 
Drives: His Wife Crazy Phone:860-880-0486
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Silas Deane Auto,CT Name: Rob Anderson
Posts: 1,651
not a bad idea if it's that bad.
when you have things apart look for shiny spots on things.
make sure the caliper bolts are all tight and didn't come loose.
Rob@WretchedMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:28 PM   #10
Avalnch

 
Avalnch's Avatar
 
Drives: Rally Yellow Camaro+Avalanche
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 862
I recently ran my HP+ pads down to around 30% at the track. I noticed that my DBA rotors had heavy black spots that were spread evenly over the rotor surface (intermittent black spots with shiny rotor metal in between).

I swapped in my Hawk Performance Ceramics and immediately, I got a severe vibration upon heavy brake pedal pressure. Coming lightly/normally to a stop did not incur any vibrations, but coming down from high speed with firm pedal pressure would make the car shake as you mentioned. I was pretty sure that it was the black spots that the HP+ pads left on my rotor. After driving an autocross event with the PC pads and about a week of driving, the black spots faded out and the vibration is now gone.

Check your rotors to see if you have heavy black streaks/patches on them, it could be the same thing I experienced.
__________________
C.A.I., ARH LT, Pypes Cat Back, ZL1 Shifter, Quantum Brake Ducts, JDP Tow Hook
Scorch Yellow Trim Kit, Shark Fin, AAC DRLs+ABLs+SMDs, ZTA Rear Spoiler, R.Y. 1LE Splitter
Pfadt coilovers, camber plates, trailing arms & differential bushings.
BMR adjustable toe-rods. Pedders ZL1 barz, rear cradle inserts, radius arm & steering rack bushings.
Hotchkis Max Chassis Brace (minus tunnel cross-over piece for SCCA rules)
1LE 3.91 gearzzz. Drive Shaft Shop Road Race Axle Upgrade. TurnOne power steering pump.
Forgeline GA3-R 19x11 + Hoosier R6 315/30R19
426 HP @ 5550 RPM / 427 TQ @ 4700 RPM
Avalnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:31 PM   #11
Synergy SATX
Mike and Debbie
 
Synergy SATX's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Zl1 & 2010 Ltd. Ed. Synergy V6
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: San Antonio TX
Posts: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalnch View Post
I recently ran my HP+ pads down to around 30% at the track. I noticed that my DBA rotors had heavy black spots that were spread evenly over the rotor surface (intermittent black spots with shiny rotor metal in between).

I swapped in my Hawk Performance Ceramics and immediately, I got a severe vibration upon heavy brake pedal pressure. Coming lightly/normally to a stop did not incur any vibrations, but coming down from high speed with firm pedal pressure would make the car shake as you mentioned. I was pretty sure that it was the black spots that the HP+ pads left on my rotor. After driving an autocross event with the PC pads and about a week of driving, the black spots faded out and the vibration is now gone.

Check your rotors to see if you have heavy black streaks/patches on them, it could be the same thing I experienced.
Will do, this sounds as I described. We just did do a lathe on the rotors do you think that would resolve it if it was the residue from the pads?
__________________
Synergy SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:28 PM   #12
JusticePete
CamaroCross Founder
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy SATX View Post
Will do, this sounds as I described. We just did do a lathe on the rotors do you think that would resolve it if it was the residue from the pads?
I can't imagine the residue causing the severe vibration you are experiencing.

When was the last time your calipers were rebuilt or replaced?
__________________
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:42 PM   #13
Synergy SATX
Mike and Debbie
 
Synergy SATX's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Zl1 & 2010 Ltd. Ed. Synergy V6
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: San Antonio TX
Posts: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
I can't imagine the residue causing the severe vibration you are experiencing.

When was the last time your calipers were rebuilt or replaced?
Never replaced. They were inspected for this but if they were rebuilt--I do not know; I would have to ask Glenn. We put on new rotors. Same issues present. Put the old brake pads back on. Issues gone. We are guessing improper bedding of new brake pads. I am getting another set to validate this theory.
__________________
Synergy SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:00 PM   #14
JusticePete
CamaroCross Founder
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy SATX View Post
Never replaced. They were inspected for this but if they were rebuilt--I do not know; I would have to ask Glenn. We put on new rotors. Same issues present. Put the old brake pads back on. Issues gone. We are guessing improper bedding of new brake pads. I am getting another set to validate this theory.
How did you bed them?
Can you put the new old pads back in or do you need Glenn for that?
__________________
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:09 PM   #15
Synergy SATX
Mike and Debbie
 
Synergy SATX's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Zl1 & 2010 Ltd. Ed. Synergy V6
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: San Antonio TX
Posts: 855
Old brake pads are back on and the problem is...gone. So it is safe to assume it was the new pads. They were never bedded in (I take the blame for that via poor communication, not everyone knows of, or how to, bed performance brake pads in and I didn't double check on it after they were installed). So new pads on order and we will see how it goes after new pads are on and properly bedded in.
__________________
Synergy SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:12 PM   #16
JusticePete
CamaroCross Founder
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,691
Put the chattering pads back in and use a very aggressive bedding procedure. I'll bed the for you ;-)
__________________
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.