Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Solo Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 06-26-2013, 12:16 PM   #1
Mutant Racer
Hunting Petrol

Drives: 2013 Red Crystal Tintcoat ZL1
Would you retro package your 2SS to a 1LE?

Your friendly neighborhood Mutant Racer has some money coming my way and if you were me would you 1LE your 2SS for the track?

Yes?

No?

Hellafreakinyeah!

No way dummy the 1LE is a joke!

Your thoughts?
Mutant Racer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:38 PM   #2
mikeyg36
The GT Troll Hundred

Drives: Cammed '12 2SS/RS LS3 '15 Z/28
I'd get the 1LE gears and possibly rims and tires. The suspension parts would be better if you went aftermarket.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:40 PM   #3
SPCBA
Blake

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
the 1LE is hands down the best bang for your buck car out there.

there are improvements in the aftermarket. the rear end is nice but the rest can be beat quite easily in catalogs like pfadt or pedders.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:42 PM   #4
Dynamite

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS XD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyg36 View Post
I'd get the 1LE gears and possibly rims and tires. The suspension parts would be better if you went aftermarket.
Yep. Just get the 3.91 gears and aftermarket everything else.
Dynamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:46 PM   #5
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Has GMPP released the 1LE track pack yet?
Old 06-26-2013, 01:09 PM   #6
Mutant Racer
Hunting Petrol

Ok cool fellas, I will keep things simple and go mostly aftermarket.

I was thinking gears, ZL1 wheels, and do the truss rod for the shits and giggles.

Should I also go aftermarket for brake lines?

My Camaro will definitely be tracked for road courses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick rick View Post
Has GMPP released the 1LE track pack yet?
That's what the guy from the dealership told me. Can't say for sure if that is 100% accurate though.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:18 PM   #7
Mikes SS

Drives: '10 CGM 2SS/RS 6M
I may be wrong, but I am pretty sure that the transmission in the 1LE has different ratios to counter that 3.91 gear that you would be so quick to put in..basically 1st gear would be useless with the current 2SS ratios and 6th would be like 5th.
Mikes SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:23 PM   #8
Mutant Racer
Hunting Petrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes SS View Post
I may be wrong, but I am pretty sure that the transmission in the 1LE has different ratios to counter that 3.91 gear that you would be so quick to put in..basically 1st gear would be useless with the current 2SS ratios and 6th would be like 5th.
I know people that installed the Vette ZR1 clutch to go with the 3.91 gears. I saw one on the dyno that when it was punched in 4th the power was total shock and awe.

I have to do plenty of homework on this stuff but my guy also mentioned there is different short throw on the 1LE's from the people who have the Hurst factory short throw.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:26 PM   #9
mikeyg36
The GT Troll Hundred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes SS View Post
The ratios are different but it won't make 1st useless. On an auto it would, but not a manual.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:26 PM   #10
mikeyg36
The GT Troll Hundred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutant Racer View Post
I know people that installed the Vette ZR1 clutch to go with the 3.91 gears. I saw one on the dyno that when it was punched in 4th the power was total shock and awe.

I have to do plenty of homework on this stuff but my guy also mentioned there is different short throw on the 1LE's from the people who have the Hurst factory short throw.
Different name, same throw reduction.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:30 PM   #11
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
If I wanted a 1LE... I would get a 1LE.
If I wanted a ZL1... I would get a ZL1.
If I wanted a Vette... I would get a Vette.

Follow my thinking here?
Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes
RX Catch Can
Husky Splash Guards
Heritage Grille
Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs
Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges
Emblem Pros Custom Retro SS Kickplates
Emblem Pros Under-hood Bowtie
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:34 PM   #12
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '10 2SS/RS, '96 Z28
Why would you retro it when you've already paid for the upgrades?

I mean, all it has that you would really want is the bang for the buck but you've already spent it so..lol Kinda moot at this point.

I'd say the Brakes, Wheels, and Gears would be about the most you'd want out of it.

Or just go trade "down" to one and make out better.

Good luck!
Ivan @ Southwest Speed
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:34 PM   #13
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
You can see most of my mods in my sig and have a lot of the what the 1LE has in aftermarket. I still have OEM wheels which is my biggest weak point now but I just think they are better looking over the 1LE or ZL1 wheels.

I've had 3.91 gears for a good year or so now. I can tell you by no means does it render a M6 useless. Quite the opposite. It runs WAY better from street light to street light. Does it take away some of your top end.....yes a little....but not like you would think. At 55mph I lost 200 RPM. Its still very drivable on the highway and actually around town I now use 6th gear a lot more than I used to. The 3.91 gears are awesome in an M6 and I would never go back to 3.45.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:36 PM   #14
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
BTW: as for brakes, yes, change out to stainless lines and some good DOT 4 fluid and you'll be good to go.

Get a clutch fluid separator as well.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:38 PM   #15
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan @ Southwest Speed View Post

I mean, all it has that you would really want is the bang for the buck but you've already spent it so..lol Kinda moot at this point.

I'd say the Brakes, Wheels, and Gears would be about the most you'd want out of it.

Good luck!
Ivan @ Southwest Speed
Brakes are the same, just red right?

Unless ur talking about lines or something
Old 06-26-2013, 01:42 PM   #16
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '10 2SS/RS, '96 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomapunk View Post
Brakes are the same, just red right?

Unless ur talking about lines or something
The lines make the real difference so yes, just swapping the lines would be better.

And yes, you are correct as well. But the red has to make them better right? LOL.

Ivan
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:29 PM   #17
Mutant Racer
Hunting Petrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan @ Southwest Speed View Post

Good luck!
Ivan @ Southwest Speed
Well that what I need you guys for. I've owned heavily modded cars in the past but I bought them modded. This is my first time getting my hands dirty and doing things part by part.

I have some spec sheets and supposedly the new one for the 1LE track pack.

The ZL1 wheels I'm getting a deal on. The 3.91 gears I need. The truss rod is just well I might as well. I never believed they ever actually did much for a car, just looks.

Currently I'm looking at....

Stainless Racing Brake lines from Apex.

DBA 4000 front and rear rotors from Maryland Speed.

Pfadt lowering springs or I might just go with coil overs (I'm twisted on that one).

I have BMR Sways but want a bigger bar on the rear. Maybe ZL1? Or Pfadt?

I can't make heads or tails over sub-frame connectors. Perhaps you guys can give the 411 on that.

I need axles.

Engine Mounts and subframe bushings.

Let me scan these papers so you guys can see them.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:26 PM   #18
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
I think the sub frame connectors on this car are not that big of a deal. Suspension mods that you should do would be trailing arms, cradle bushings, diff bushings. Coil overs are going to be alot better than just springs but you pay for it. I'm not real keen on the handling side of things for this car but sway bars might help and I think the 1LE has better sways than a SS if I'm not mistaken. The 3.91 gears are going to need a tune so might as well get a good CAI and Long tube headers to go with that tune. For the money I like aftermarket wheels like the TSW Nurburgrigs's or Forgestar wheels over true ZL1/1LE wheels.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:11 PM   #19
Abrahams11SS

Drives: 2011 2SS Black-n-Orange
I have ZL1 wheels, BMR 1 inch drop springs and sway bars and it made a huge difference in my car's ability to move around. I'm assuming it's pretty similar to the 1LE now. But I'm also thinking of the gears but only due to the fact that I went with at TSP 231/236 cam with CAI, headers and catback... It's a whole new animal now but I'm only thinking of the gears to help with driving around town.. Bucking and surging at low rpms..
Abrahams11SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:25 PM   #20
NinoSS

Drives: 2SS/RS CGM LS3
Aside from the rear sway bar geometry and trans ratio my car is essentially a 1LE, but more power (see sig). I have carefully selected my mods to create a car that does everything very well. There are faster setups or better handling setups, but like the 1LE it is a great DD.
Vengeance stage I cam (442rwhp/412rwtq) / CAI intake w/ADM race scoop / Dynatech LT's / ATI udp / JRE tuned / Eaton Posi LPE-JRE 3.91's / L99 Corsa / Whiteline Sways & Bushings / UMI Trailing Arms & Toe Rods / ZL1 wheels / NT05 275/315
NinoSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:25 PM   #21
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Would I make my SS a 1LE? No, its an SS. But simply modding it to make it better, yes.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:59 PM   #22
Mutant Racer
Hunting Petrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
Would I make my SS a 1LE? No, its an SS. But simply modding it to make it better, yes.
Yeah there are plenty of 1LE parts to pick and choose from, some of which I can get a nice deal on. Doing the whole 1LE setup would not be cost effective on a 2SS already on the street.

Some of the vendors around here need to have their heads pulled out of their asses. When a prospective customer is about to spend solid money on mods and Ivan the Special chimes in like he owns Camaro5 then this place becomes a joke. Talk about a stupid move.

I'll spend some time at the track talking to real drivers.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:39 PM   #23
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
There are so many quality aftermarket parts out there that are better than e GM stuff. I will say, the 1LE ring/pinion is dirt cheap compared to others. As for brakes and suspension, I'd go aftermarket.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:52 PM   #24
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013

Drives: 2012 Camaro LS "Hot Blown Six"
Quote:
Your friendly neighborhood Mutant Racer has some money coming my way and if you were me would you 1LE your 2SS for the track?

Yes?

No?

Hellafreakinyeah!

No way dummy the 1LE is a joke!

Your thoughts?
My LS is sporting full 1LE suspension and LSR upgrades.... Handles Amazingly

2012 LS M6,ZL1Brakes, OEM Foglights (BCM Flashed for Fogs),4 Pack Guages, Factory Reproduction Wheels,Nitto NT05 tires 275/315 stagger, Leather OEM Steering Wheel,Hurst Shifter, GM Hurst Leather Shifter knob,OEM Leather Console top,Carbon Fiber Stripe Package,Emblems with Carbon overlays, ZL1 Grill,LSR Stage 4 susp,1LE Strut Brace, SOLO Cats and Exhaust, 1LE Struts/shocks, IPF Supercharger-Redline Motorsports, FSP Tuning
sycraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:55 PM   #25
JDP Tyler

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Well that what I need you guys for. I've owned heavily modded cars in the past but I bought them modded. This is my first time getting my hands dirty and doing things part by part.

I have some spec sheets and supposedly the new one for the 1LE track pack.

The ZL1 wheels I'm getting a deal on. The 3.91 gears I need. The truss rod is just well I might as well. I never believed they ever actually did much for a car, just looks.

Currently I'm looking at....

Stainless Racing Brake lines from Apex.

DBA 4000 front and rear rotors from Maryland Speed.

Pfadt lowering springs or I might just go with coil overs (I'm twisted on that one).

I have BMR Sways but want a bigger bar on the rear. Maybe ZL1? Or Pfadt?

I can't make heads or tails over sub-frame connectors. Perhaps you guys can give the 411 on that.

I need axles.

Engine Mounts and subframe bushings.

Let me scan these papers so you guys can see them.
I can work out a great package deal for many of these items if you are interested. Feel free to call, PM or email me with questions.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007

Click HERE to send me a PM | Sales@jdpmotorsports.com | www.jdpmotorsports.com | 888.308.6007
JDP Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote